Page 1 of 61 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Puscifer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Puscifer

For the newcomers, this is Maynard James Keenan's personal music project that involves "a revolving door of musicians."
    http://www.puscifer.com

I saw them for the first time this past Saturday and it was fantastic. They played the whole new album, albeit out of order, which was amazing since I can't get enough of it. They had the desert theme where Maynard drug an enclosed trailer out onto the stage then started setting up camp. He was talking about our experiences as humans and then called Carina out of the trailer. Later he pulled a flatbead trailer onto the stage with the drums on them and called out some dirty hippies to get a drum circle going. It was quite the evening and Carina was definitely a delightful addition to the group. Also, this was the first time I'd seen a left-handed drummer in action.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Going to see them in Tulsa, can't wait!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I had the chance to catch the opening night of the currently tour (it was also my first time seeing Puscifer live) and you NEED to try and get out to one of these shows. The way the music is presented to you in a live format was great and each song sounded awesome. One of the better shows I've been to in the past few years
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 11-23-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Meh

I was disappointed with the new album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Honestly I preferred last year's shows than the one I went to a few weeks ago. But it was still awesome and they sounded really great. It was weird seeing them in an broadway theater instead of a smaller venue, but I was only four rows from the stage so it was fine. It still was a really fantastic show and I highly recommend going. Also, I really like the new album and it is badass live.
    Last edited by lady weetly; 11-25-2011 at 04:21 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    ^^Was it just the atmosphere? Or production quality? I'm reeeeeally busy the week of my show, and I'm still debating on going to this show. I've been satisfied with previous shows, but I have that same feeling where it's not quite the same as the earlier stuff. My interest is kind of waning at this point.

With that said, I *finally* got the CD today from my local record store!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I adore the new record, especially Green Valley. It's the best work Maynard's put out in a long long time.

Last edited by Ryan; 11-26-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I'm definitely a big fan of Conditions of my Parole, as well as most of "C is for..." - I was really disappointed with the debut, but was pleased to see the direction turn the way it did. I got to see 'em live the first time they came through Philly, it was a fun show. Couldn't make it out there this past week though, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    ^^Was it just the atmosphere? Or production quality? I'm reeeeeally busy the week of my show, and I'm still debating on going to this show. I've been satisfied with previous shows, but I have that same feeling where it's not quite the same as the earlier stuff. My interest is kind of waning at this point.

The atmosphere was different because it was a bigger venue and less intimate. But they still were really great. Plus last year I got the Vagina Air and Country shows which were a lot of fun. You should really go though!!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I love the new record. I'm a fan of pretty much all the musicians involved and they all came out sounding great. When I first heard it, I thought it could use a few more upbeat songs with perhaps some Danny Lohner influence (He's a big part of what I would consider Puscifer's 'sound') but it's since then grown on me. You can hear a lot of Josh Eustis' influence, which I quite enjoy. Maynard and Carina's voices work well together. I just generally enjoy the 'empty-yet-full' soundscapes a lot of the songs have. Maybe it was because I was in Arizona during my first listen, but I thought it definitely gives the feeling of being in the desert during most of the songs. They really captured what I imagine to be the feeling of recording an album in tiny Jerome. It's a new(ish) style for Puscifer, but I fully endorse it.

Now if only I had the funds to catch them out in SF next month.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Saw them in Brooklyn last week and had a blast. The live band is phenomenal, and I really enjoyed Maynard's opening monologue and hauling out of the trailer. The "quiet" section, made up of the Oceans-Monsoons-Horizons trinity was a highlight: Jeff Friedl using the electronic kit in center stage was very cool. The full-band rendition of Horizons (probably my favorite track on the new album) was a great surprise. Definitely see them live if you can!

(great to have ETS back, by the way!)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post

Last years shows were more "fun" with the different theme nights but the band still sounded fantastic on this tour. I think the difference for me was with the songs from the first album last tour they "rocked them up" where the new songs are played pretty straight forward to the record. That doesn't mean it's a bad experience. It's definitely worth doing once. Plus Carina's set is worth the price of admission.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Was not a fan of Conditions of My Parole, Maynards worst album he's ever made, IMO.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    A good way to ruin an otherwise fantastic, intimate show: stand up and cause everyone else to do the same, ultimately obstructing everybody's​ view of the stage. I was so pissed off by the end of the show. I had a better time at the first show in nosebleed seats. /rant

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    Last years shows were more "fun" with the different theme nights but the band still sounded fantastic on this tour. I think the difference for me was with the songs from the first album last tour they "rocked them up" where the new songs are played pretty straight forward to the record. That doesn't mean it's a bad experience. It's definitely worth doing once. Plus Carina's set is worth the price of admission.
    Ah, yes. That's the feeling I got. They're not cutting loose as much this time around it seems. I loved the way they reworked the songs last time around, but I figured the straight through playing of the material would happen as time progressed and more material was added to the show. I'm still going to try to get out there next week, but I won't feel gutted if I miss it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    What's the merch like for these shows? Anything that really stands out? Way overpriced?

So stoked for Tulsa tomorrow!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I liked seeing the band live this year. I liked the new record. But I miss Tool.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    A good way to ruin an otherwise fantastic, intimate show: stand up and cause everyone else to do the same, ultimately obstructing everybody's​ view of the stage. I was so pissed off by the end of the show. I had a better time at the first show in nosebleed seats. /rant
    This seems to be a big debate among the fans. I know they've (the band) been telling people to stand up during the shows, but people don't seem to like standing for very long. During the show I went to on the '09 tour, there were only two very drunk people standing and dancing in the entire venue. And they were in the seats directly in front of my girlfriend and I, so I was forced to stand up and block the view of the people behind me. I felt like a total dick, but I wasn't going to miss the show because of two drunk douchebags, even if it made me the douchebag in turn. I think it should be an all or none situation. If tons of people start to stand, then everyone else should stand up. If everyone in the venue, but you, is seated, then sit the fuck down!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Album's kinda boring... Few decent songs though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I have to say, the first tour was a lot more like a variety show feel to it. Much more focused on the comedy aspect of Puscifer, while the latest tour was more of a straightforward concert. Still very much enjoyed it but the intermission video just made me miss Uncle Scratch (all my best to Brother Ed), costume changes, and funny videos.

It took me until the next day to realize they played all of "Conditions of My Parole" (no wonder I heard all my favorites), loved the visuals, and opening monologue.

Thoroughly enjoy the new album and my favorite tracks at the moment: Tiny Monsters, Oceans, Toma, Conditions of My Parole and Tumbleweed.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Conditions is a good album. Can't wait to see what the tour beholds.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p_rez17 View Post

It took me until the next day to realize they played all of "Conditions of My Parole" (no wonder I heard all my favorites), loved the visuals, and opening monologue.

Thoroughly enjoy the new album and my favorite tracks at the moment: Tiny Monsters, Oceans, Toma, Conditions of My Parole and Tumbleweed.
    I realized that when I saw the setlist posted somewhere, then looked up the track listing. Just made me that much more excited for tomorrow. (I don't even own the album yet...I've started just buying CDs when I go to shows. Generally $5 cheaper and have some sentimental value, I guess).

"Horizons" has to be one of my all-time favorite songs, and the drums on "Green Valley" just fucking kill it. They recorded a good portion of the drums in a wine cellar or something like that, didn't they?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Conditions of My Parole is certainly not my favorite. I like Man Overboard and Toma but the rest is the Sea of Meh. I was expecting more Vs and Cs, sexual innuendos and the like.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Great live show.

But I agree the album is somewhat dull, too mellow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Never really paid much attention to Puscifer until the most recent album, and I absolutely love Conditions. I always just thought of the band as Maynard making vagina jokes, but the new album is serious, which will probably turn some original fans away, but people like myself who are big APC fans will love the album.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorny540 View Post
    Never really paid much attention to Puscifer until the most recent album, and I absolutely love Conditions. I always just thought of the band as Maynard making vagina jokes, but the new album is serious, which will probably turn some original fans away, but people like myself who are big APC fans will love the album.
    It's not all serious. Man Overboard is overflowing with sexual innuendos. The title track is pretty funny as well. I think most Puscifer is like that, having humor mixed in with seriousness. That's what I like about them, you can listen to some funky tunes, and laugh at absurd wordplay, and take in bits and pieces of serious messages in between.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Puscifer's mostly whatever Maynard's feeling like at that particular time. Some are serious, some are funny. A little bit of everything. Album's just TOO mellow and doesn't seem to really go anywhere. There's some good stuff there, but a lot of it's just forgettable IMO.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Conditions is my favorite album this year! I didn't like much of V is for Vagina. Probably Maynard's worst work to me. (I don't mind people liking the album) I did find C is for EP interesting, but this new album is AWESOME!. Tiny Monsters, Tumbleweeb, Green Valey, awesome. (I might add that I prefer Thirteenth Step over Mer de Noms).

Tiny Monsters is 5:36 on the CD. I don't know where I got the other version....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone else going to the PHX show next Friday?