Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: 2018.11.30 Las Vegas, NV @ The Joint

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2018.11.30 Las Vegas, NV @ The Joint

Las Vegas #5/200

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I feel bad saying this, but I'm kind of disappointed with this show. Not that it was a bad performance from the band or anything, but I feel like I've set the bar so high from all the crazy set lists they had at the start of the tour, that I went in expecting a completely different show. This was like a traditional "festival" set. I was hoping for the perfect drug or some kind of a deep cut... hell, give me mr. Self destruct even... i felt like the show started to get good after the encore break, but I knew it was about to end. Here's hoping tomorrow has a better set. I won't be lining up early for tomorrow's show though. I don't think I can subject to myself of another night of Jesus and Mary chain, lol. I was against the rail on atticus' side. The whole front row looked like they'd rather be anywhere else but there lol. Knowing my luck, tomorrow's show is going to bring out all the big guns and I'll be way at the back.

i am happy I got to hear over and out though, so I'm not completely disappointed. That was probably the highlight of the show for me. I haven't been keeping up with setlists, so I don't know if he's played it before tonight, but he played his cover of David bowie's I can't give everything away again... but at the London, U.K. Show in June he announced to the audience they were playing it for the last time ever that night and retiring it... but he brought it back.

you can tell that Bowie's death had a huge impact on him. The bowie songs were some of the most powerful of the evening. He even looked like he was in tears singing god break down the door. He said something like that song was for or about Bowie. I never knew that.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 12-01-2018 at 01:41 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I would agree on the set list 100%.
    Crowd was crazy during Gave Up and BCD otherwise not too violent. Still, the heaviest NIN pit I’ve been in the last 11 years.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Well I'm glad someone else said it first.

Trent was on fucking fire. There's no denying that he still "has it". But here's the thing: I'm still not a fan of Bad Witch. The other two EPs? Yes. The entire rest of the catalog? Yes. In their 30 year discography, there is literally one album/EP I don't really like, and they played nearly all of it tonight. Didn't get either of the "OH HOLLLLLLLLLLY FUCK!" songs that they debuted this tour. I actually felt myself get a little disappointed at the opening to All the Love in the World, because I knew it meant the older songs wouldn't get played.

So, that said: I was still really happy to hear Love for the first time live. And I liked the inclusion of The Big Comedown and Even Deeper. But at this point, I honestly think that for my own sanity, I need to avoid ever looking at tomorrow's setlist. Gig envy is real, and it sucks.

And I'm just going to say it: I am so freaking sick of Hurt. I really hope he's playing it more for himself than the audience. It's his show, he's the artist. If the song still has such immense personal value that he feels he needs to close with it every night, then I'm totally on board with that. But if he's just doing it because he thinks the crowd wants it...please, start putting something else into rotation.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    If I didn’t have another 7 shows lined up, I would be super sad that there was no HiS or TPD tonight.

Even Deeper is great and all, but then you go back and listen to the Tension version...with that light rig...

also best opener moment - when the lead guitarist couldn’t figure out why he wasn’t getting a tone and then realized he needed to plug in. First gig in US jitters I guess.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    That opener was fucking dog shit.

So much of tonight was so heavily Bowie influenced, it was beautiful. I'm so glad that I was able to experience it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Cant reply to the 1st post but This Isn't the Place is the song that's about Bowie.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah I agree that was a dissapointing setlist, hopefully now that they've played the Bowie and what felt like all of the new EP songs we'll get some special songs tonight. So glad there are two shows, otherwise it would have been a bit of a waste to come down here from Canada.

Please play some deep cuts tonight Trent, that's what makes this tour so special.
    Last edited by fishtifer; 12-01-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Wonderful show & the best I’ve heard on the rail at The Joint. It felt like they moved the barricade back a foot or two since the June shows.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed HMLTD as an opener, and I have no complaints about the set list as the performance was pure fire (plus I’m TOTALLY into Bad Witch, was hoping to hear Subterraneans, and ATLITW is one of my absolute favorites).

It’s funny, the first time they played “Ahead of Ourselves” was at the June LV shows & TR said something like, “it will grow on you.” He was correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Trent was on fucking fire. There's no denying that he still "has it".
    The whole band is really crushing it this tour but it looked like Trent was really feeling it last night. I loved the whole This isn't the Place through Subterraneans section of the show, the saxophone, synth, bass and lighting, just a great, dark, sexy vibe that really ties the set together with Over and Out in the encore. I think the Bad Witch materials sounds great, love Robin singing lead vocals on Shit Mirror, and I'm glad I got to see them play it as it flows in the album. Who knows if after this tour it will ever get that kind of shine?

Was also super excited that they played The Big Comedown, one of my favorites. Just a fantastic show. I've only seen them in big arenas and amphitheaters before, so being able to be few rows back in a smaller, more intimate setting was phenomenal.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    What two songs were performed during soundcheck that everyone was freaking out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Does anybody have a pic of a setlist print out of from this night? It would go nicely with the one from night 2...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    What two songs were performed during soundcheck that everyone was freaking out.
    I heard Copy of A being soundchecked when I purchased my ticket that afternoon. I had half a mind to bumrush my way in there.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-1b9771ac.html

See, THIS is the kind of set list that would have left me leaving with my jaw still dragging on the floor. Holy hell.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always grateful to get to see a NIN show, especially when it lines up with a day off on tour and I don't even have to travel somewhere to see them. But man, when you see that you could have had a show like this...it's a little disappointing to see what you missed.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I was just looking through my phone and forgot I took a video of the start of Somewhat Damaged when the tick started. I love that they brought back the summer '06 "roadies still on stage" entrance with the house lights on until the rest of the instruments kicked in.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-1b9771ac.html

See, THIS is the kind of set list that would have left me leaving with my jaw still dragging on the floor. Holy hell.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always grateful to get to see a NIN show, especially when it lines up with a day off on tour and I don't even have to travel somewhere to see them. But man, when you see that you could have had a show like this...it's a little disappointing to see what you missed.
    But at this point, I honestly think that for my own sanity, I need to avoid ever looking at tomorrow's setlist. Gig envy is real, and it sucks.
    I take it you still haven't looked at Vegas night 2??? That above San Fran set is very nice, but Vegas night 2 was even more epic. But that San Fran night 2 comes very, very close. Tad jealous that they got Last and Dear World, but night 2 Vegas was probably the best set of the whole tour. You being an active member of ETS must know by now what was played, unless you are literally trying to avoid knowing at all costs what you missed, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    I was just looking through my phone and forgot I took a video of the start of Somewhat Damaged when the tick started. I love that they brought back the summer '06 "roadies still on stage" entrance with the house lights on until the rest of the instruments kicked in.
    You know, what's funny about that is, I'm sitting up there against the rail watching them put together NIN's stage, and I thought to myself "I remember when Trent just randomly came on and started Somewhat Damaged with the house lights and roadies still on. I wonder if he'll do that again" and sure as sure can be... he did. I called it in my mind. Odd.

For night 2, guy behind me was confused as to why the show started with the house lights on. He was like "Didn't you find it funny that he started with the house lights on last night" Nope. Not at all.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 12-04-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I take it you still haven't looked at Vegas night 2??? That above San Fran set is very nice, but Vegas night 2 was even more epic. But that San Fran night 2 comes very, very close. Tad jealous that they got Last and Dear World, but night 2 Vegas was probably the best set of the whole tour. You being an active member of ETS must know by now what was played, unless you are literally trying to avoid knowing at all costs what you missed, lol.

You know, what's funny about that is, I'm sitting up there against the rail watching them put together NIN's stage, and I thought to myself "I remember when Trent just randomly came on and started Somewhat Damaged with the house lights and roadies still on. I wonder if he'll do that again" and sure as sure can be... he did. I called it in my mind. Odd.

For night 2, guy behind me was confused as to why the show started with the house lights on. He was like "Didn't you find it funny that he started with the house lights on last night" Nope. Not at all.
    I literally refuse to look at Vegas night 2. I can't even look for Youtube clips of night one because I'm afraid night two stuff will come up. I got depressed enough reading what you just typed - and that's exactly what I figured. Knowing that they aren't repeating things in same-city shows and knowing that Night 1 was mostly "okay", I figured Night 2 pretty much had to be out of this world. I'd just rather not know HOW out of this world it was.

With the whole "there for work" thing, I had literally no option to stay for night 2, so that's of some minor comfort. Had it been my own decision to just see one night, I'd really feel like an ass and an idiot. This way, at least I just feel left out, but not by my own doing.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    With the whole "there for work" thing, I had literally no option to stay for night 2, so that's of some minor comfort. Had it been my own decision to just see one night, I'd really feel like an ass and an idiot. This way, at least I just feel left out, but not by my own doing.

that's just how it goes sometimes - I was only able to do 1 out of the 3 LV shows in June because of work.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I had literally no option to stay for night 2, so that's of some minor comfort. Had it been my own decision to just see one night, I'd really feel like an ass and an idiot. This way, at least I just feel left out, but not by my own doing.
    Fret not dearest @theimage13 . They *will* tour again. And you will have a chance to see other shows that would be even *better*. Of course I don't know what you might interpret as *better* in that future since we don't know what will happen but still, there is a chance! ;-)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m0reta View Post
    Fret not dearest @theimage13. They *will* tour again. And you will have a chance to see other shows that would be even *better*. Of course I don't know what you might interpret as *better* in that future since we don't know what will happen but still, there is a chance! ;-)
    Yeah, the problem is that I also will tour again. More than them. Which means the probability of me being in the same city as them - and off - at the same time is so damn small it hurts. This show was an absolute fluke. Over the summer I was eight miles away for one show - but it was the same night as ours, so whomp whomp. Hell, a few years ago I actually missed working for them at one gig because I had one day left on a different tour.

So yeah, there's *technically* a chance. I just don't like the odds

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I heard Copy of A being soundchecked when I purchased my ticket that afternoon. I had half a mind to bumrush my way in there.

I guess the rumor was two HTDA tracks were soundchecked.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I finally caved and looked at Night 2.

And honestly? Not as bummed as I thought. Okay, obviously pissed about missing TPD. But otherwise, I've seen most of those songs before, which I'm grateful for.

Right now, the "ljsdfnwenr klnsdnlksennlesn!!!!!!" set list for me is Palladium Night 1. HTDA mini set (and those three songs in particular?!), AATCHB, and a solid opening run? Dammmmmn. Really hope there's a good recording of that show on the way.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Finally got around to posting here.

Far from one of the more special nights on the tour set list wise, but I really enjoyed the Trilogy suite and the Bowie covers. Glad I got to hear This Isn't The Place.

Always enjoy the Big Come Down, that ripped. All The Love in the World was great to hear as well.

Overall was a nice intro to the band after not having seen them in good 5 years. They were tight as hell. Venue was awesome too, was able to get relatively close to the stage without much hassle at all.