Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: Comics!!!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    This week, since I've been off from work, I somehow went on a nostalgic comics kick. Oddly enough it started while watching the Green Lantern film for the first time, and actually kind of enjoying it. So, I went on to subscribe to HBO Max where I was watching a bunch of stuff, and then Disney + . I'm basically all caught up with the Marvel films, and now am on the 90's cartoons. As for DC, there is a TON of content, so much, and I'm so excited to dive in. I've watched a few films, started Doom Patrol, and some animated films. So good.

The itch carried over into buying books. I went to my local shop (literally around the corner from me) and picked up Nightwing #99 and Gargoyles #1. Two copies of Gargoyles actually, as I gave one to my girlfriend who's been a major Gargoyles fan since she was a kid. Used an Amazon gift card to get the 30th anniversary deluxe edition of The Death of Superman. I had the original trade paperback as a kid, my first tpb, and I loved it so much. I was only 7 or 8 when I got it but read it like 20 times. So the nostalgia hit hard on this 30th edition (and made me feel old) . I also loved the Return of Superman tpb back in the day, I was going to buy it again recently but might hold off in the event they plan to do a 30th anni edition of that too.

Earlier this week, I subscribed to DC Infinite and have been loving it. I've read the first 9 issues of The Nice House on the Lake...really awesome horror comic. The opposite end of that, I've been reading Blue & Gold which is hilarious!

Today, I'm planning on going to Kevin Smith's comic shop. I have a list of things I want to purchase. Sticking with all new releases too. It's been 25 years since I collected regularly. There's no way I'd be able to fill in the gaps of what I missed from back then till now, so, I'm just going to enjoy the ride of new material and appreciate it from a different, adult perspective now. I noticed a change in art styles since then, paper textures, dialog (there seems to be less of it overall, and certainly less thought bubbles) , and I'm cool with all that. And, I plan to make a pull list at my local shop. Oh yeah, the bug has hit me hard!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    This week, since I've been off from work, I somehow went on a nostalgic comics kick. Oddly enough it started while watching the Green Lantern film for the first time, and actually kind of enjoying it. So, I went on to subscribe to HBO Max where I was watching a bunch of stuff, and then Disney + . I'm basically all caught up with the Marvel films, and now am on the 90's cartoons. As for DC, there is a TON of content, so much, and I'm so excited to dive in. I've watched a few films, started Doom Patrol, and some animated films. So good.

The itch carried over into buying books. I went to my local shop (literally around the corner from me) and picked up Nightwing #99 and Gargoyles #1. Two copies of Gargoyles actually, as I gave one to my girlfriend who's been a major Gargoyles fan since she was a kid. Used an Amazon gift card to get the 30th anniversary deluxe edition of The Death of Superman. I had the original trade paperback as a kid, my first tpb, and I loved it so much. I was only 7 or 8 when I got it but read it like 20 times. So the nostalgia hit hard on this 30th edition (and made me feel old) . I also loved the Return of Superman tpb back in the day, I was going to buy it again recently but might hold off in the event they plan to do a 30th anni edition of that too.

Earlier this week, I subscribed to DC Infinite and have been loving it. I've read the first 9 issues of The Nice House on the Lake...really awesome horror comic. The opposite end of that, I've been reading Blue & Gold which is hilarious!

Today, I'm planning on going to Kevin Smith's comic shop. I have a list of things I want to purchase. Sticking with all new releases too. It's been 25 years since I collected regularly. There's no way I'd be able to fill in the gaps of what I missed from back then till now, so, I'm just going to enjoy the ride of new material and appreciate it from a different, adult perspective now. I noticed a change in art styles since then, paper textures, dialog (there seems to be less of it overall, and certainly less thought bubbles) , and I'm cool with all that. And, I plan to make a pull list at my local shop. Oh yeah, the bug has hit me hard!
    Current good DC runs: Nightwing with Tom Taylor, Flash with Jeremy Adams, Batman/Superman World's Finest by Mark Waid. Right now those are the top 3 of all 30 comics that I pull and they all come out on the same week. I'm not a Marvel dude, so I don't really know what's good in comics on their side. For Image, Saga is a great comic, possibly my favorite but it releases slow. You didn't ask, so sorry for the unsolicited advice. As far as HBO Max, watch the 2021 Suicide Squad and then Peacemaker, both are really well done.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Comics!!!

ok some that arrived today…

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Vanish, #4 arrived today

Deathmate, cross-over between Valiant & Image

Operation Knightstrike, kinda Spawn prequel,
    features Al Simmons before he becomes Spawn

some odds to add to existing collections

yes i know i’m collecting various “universes”, but there are some minor cameo’s / mini crossovers etc

oh and i’m really into the collecting bit too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by [parasite]; 12-31-2022 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    @wampa I heard good things about those DC books you mentioned. Now that I'm totally into collecting again- what are the other 27 books you pull? Watched Suicide Squad yesterday and enjoyed it, looking forward to the Peacemaker next.
    @[parasite] good stuff. I should probably get into TMNT books, it would be a full circle moment. TMNT Adventures #20 was my first ever comic ever, in 1991 . I then got issue #23 a few months later...Robin II #4, Batman 471, and X-Men #1. All from 91. It's so crazy how I remember that...(ok, so i had to look online for the numbers, but I remembered the cover art exactly which is how I was able to find it)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    @versusreality oh man, pretty much all DC stuff with some Image and some Dark Horse

-Batman
    -Action Comics
    -Detective Comics
    -Superman (starting in March I believe)
    -Poison Ivy (also really recommend)
    -Star Wars
    -Star Wars: Darth Vader
    -Wonder Woman (thinking about dropping)
    -Justice Society of America
    -Stargirl and the Lost Children (really good 2 issues in)
    -Saga
    -Hellboy in Love
    -Koshchei in Hell
    -Vanish (just dropped)
    -Love Everlasting (not sure if it's coming back)
    -Aquaman Andromeda (don't think it's coming back)
    -Sandman Universe: Nightmare Country (don't think it's coming back)
    -and pulling the 8 Lazarus Planet one-shots
    -Nightwing (one of my favorites)
    -The Flash (one of my favorites)
    -Batman/Superman World's Finest (one of my favorites)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Killer list, @wampa . I read the first two issues of Poison Ivy on DC Infinite thanks to your recommendation (they're the only 2 up so far) and damn was I hooked. I'll be adding that to my list for sure.

I read The Flash for about a year in 97/98, I'll have to check out the new stuff. How would you describe Batman/Superman World's Finest? I looked at some of the cover artwork and it reminded me of good, old school wholesome material.

Stargirl's intriguing. I don't know much about her, but have heard good thins about the book and the show.

edit: oh, that Lazarus Planet series looks like it's going to be cool!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Comics!!!

vanish is good, just gotta wait now until 22 March for issue #5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Killer list, @wampa . I read the first two issues of Poison Ivy on DC Infinite thanks to your recommendation (they're the only 2 up so far) and damn was I hooked. I'll be adding that to my list for sure.

I read The Flash for about a year in 97/98, I'll have to check out the new stuff. How would you describe Batman/Superman World's Finest? I looked at some of the cover artwork and it reminded me of good, old school wholesome material.

Stargirl's intriguing. I don't know much about her, but have heard good thins about the book and the show.

edit: oh, that Lazarus Planet series looks like it's going to be cool!
    B/S WF has a definite old school feel to it. Feels like early 80's Batman that still got a little campy, but not too campy, from time to time. He doesn't feel too far removed from carrying shark repellent!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I have been comic crazy, I've purchased, I don't know, maybe 20 single issues of various series the past few weeks. I was disappointed with the end of The Nice House on the Lake. I started a pull list at my local shop. I just got the latest Flash and Lazarus books. Man, I am really loving the Flash again. I'm about 200 pages into the Waid Flash Omni which I got a week or so ago. I also got The Man of Steel hardcover vol 1 by Byrne, about 100 pages in and I am a legit Superman fan now. I will be buying all vols of Byrne's run.
    @wampa or anyone who may know: what are some collected volumes of Batman/Detective Comics from the mid 80's-early 90's? I'm inspired by the Byrne Superman books to get into that era of Batman. Any trades, hardcover, or omni suggestions are welcome. I should say, I've read Year One, Long Halloween, Hush, DKR, Killing Joke, and Death in the Family
    Last edited by versusreality; 01-14-2023 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I most recently picked up vol 1 and 2 of Keanu Reeves and Matt Kindt's comic book BRZRKR.

Enjoying what I've seen so far.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Probably just a USA thing but still very neat if a local shop isn't around...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Keith Giffen, RIP. One of my favorite writers of all time. Co-creator of Lobo and Rocket Raccoon. His comics were always fun to read.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    DC Elseworlds is being rebooted! Including a sequel to the 1989 classic 'Gotham By Gaslight'!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Anyone else excited for Ultimate Spider-man? Haven't been this pumped for Spidey in a while!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Ordered Marvel 1602 #1-8 (2003 series)... it's been on my mind for a while and with the What If...? episode coming out in a few days I figured may as well.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Been reading Stormwatch and The Authority and my god do I hate Frank Quitely's art.