Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics!!!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    All-New X-Men is doing nothing but delivering the goods.

I went to the comic store Wednesday and was considering buying that comics because I heard from a friend that it's awesome, but for some reason, I skipped over it. Then a few more friends are telling me how good it is so far, so I think this coming up Wednesday I'm gonna go pick it up the first two issues.

Has anyone read the new Thunderbolts? The first issue came out Wednesday and I don't think it's bad, but it's just the first issue so I kind of expected there to not be that much action. I really love the team on the series too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Preacher. 'Nuff said.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpeters View Post
    Preacher. 'Nuff said.
    Fucking love Preacher!

Also, picked up book 1 of the collected Walking Dead for my sister for Christmas!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    For Xmas i got The Boondock Saints - In Nomine Patris: The Secret History of Il Duce (i had the first issue of the comics but didn't have time to get the rest so having this collected edition of all the issues is awesome and the cover is fucking bad ass!), The Punisher by Greg Rucka vol. 1 and Punisher MAX: Untold Tales.

Stoked to read 'em!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Been thinking about getting The Boondocks comic strips.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    The Massive

This series is delivering the goods, a cool take on the "end of the world" and the fight for survival, i could be the blueprint for NIN's Year Zero TV series, i highly recommend it!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Just read this for a class I am TA-ing and I've got to say I'm a bit confused as to why this is celebrated: it's horrible. Badly written - I mean really corny writing, hard to follow, and the art is just terrible. Sometimes it's entirely unclear what is going on. And Superman and Batman in the same comic? Fighting each other? What the fuck. Maybe it is meant to be read as a kind of postmodern, ironic commentary on superheroes, kind of like Watchmen: I wish it had been a less unpleasurable read, from just about every angle.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 02-19-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Re: Comics!!!

Guess it's not for everyone. I think its bad ass

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Just read this for a class I am TA-ing and I've got to say I'm a bit confused as to why this is celebrated: it's horrible. Badly written - I mean really corny writing, hard to follow, and the art is just terrible. Sometimes it's entirely unclear what is going on. And Superman and Batman in the same comic? Fighting each other? What the fuck. Maybe it is meant to be read as a kind of postmodern, ironic commentary on superheroes, kind of like Watchmen: I wish it had been a less unpleasurable read, from just about every angle.
    It's suposed to read the "Watchmen way" like you said... i think the comic is awesome, in a way "destroys" the Batman character, but also redefines him into what he is today (there's no doubt the new movies have a lot of DKR in their influence)
    I don't think Frank Miller is "the greatest" ever, still i don't think he's bad, he's just overrated and he's capable of delivering beautiful and awesome work (300, Ronin) or stupid sexist-crap (All-Star Batman & Robin, and DK2).
    Whether you like it or not the comic helped to redefine superheroes and graphic novel in a huge way!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Excessively postmodern and hard to follow. The stories rushed by and there wasn't enough effort put into making them make sense. Tried a little too hard to be weird and out there.
    What would Grant Morrison's best comic be considered to be?
    Last edited by aggroculture; 03-11-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I feel that is all Grant Morrison is trying to do, and in the end it just falls flat.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Excessively postmodern and hard to follow. The stories rushed by and there wasn't enough effort put into making them make sense. Tried a little too hard to be weird and out there.
    What would Grant Morrison's best comic be considered to be?
    Arkham Asylum, The Invisibles and WE3 are great reads, The filth is a bit over-the-top and i understand if you don't like it, in my opinion: Morrisson it's either Hit or Miss, he's a very talented writer and has very interesting ideas but sometimes his storytelling and his pretentiousness gets out of control...
    Still i think the 3 comics i recommended and his run on X-Men are worth reading

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I just started getting back in to comic books again. I have read some bits and pieces from Before Watchmen (so far I have read the Minutemen series, the Dollar Bill one shot, and I think have read 3 of the Ozymandius series) and Star Wars (a recent series that takes place after the 1st Death Star destruction - I think #3 is out now) but that's all I've been looking at. I really want to get in on reading The Walking Dead. I saw the first season of the AMC show but I haven't been keeping up with that and i'd like to start fresh.
    Last edited by REPLICA; 03-22-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    I just started getting back in to comic books again. I have read some bits and pieces from Before Watchmen (so far I have read the Minutemen series, the Dollar Bill one shot, and I think have read 3 of the Ozymandius series) and Star Wars (a recent series that takes place after the 1st Death Star destruction - I think #3 is out now) but that's all I've been looking at. I really want to get in on reading The Walking Dead. I saw the first season of the AMC show but I haven't been keeping up with that and i'd like to start fresh.
    The Walking Dead comic it's different from the series... many situations and characters are handled different form the show... i really recommend the comic it's SO much better than the series...
    The "Before Watchmen" series it's ok there's some great stuff like Minutemen, Silk Spectre and Dr Manhattan, still the series about The Comedian and Rorschach failed to deliver the goods...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 03-22-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    The Walkind Dead comic it's different from the series... many situations and characters are handled different form the show... i really recommend the comic it's SO much better than the series...
    The "Before Watchmen" series it's ok there's some great stuff like Minutemen, Silk Spectre and Dr Manhattan, still the series about The Comedian and Rorschach failed to deliver the goods...
    I have heard many good things about The Walking Dead comics. I have also heard that Rorschach and The Comedian series were so-so. I'll have to pick up a few of each in the next week.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    I have heard many good things about The Walking Dead comics. I have also heard that Rorschach and The Comedian series were so-so. I'll have to pick up a few of each in the next week.
    Sadly the only good thing about the "Rorschach" and "Comedian" series it's the art, such a shame, they are awesome characters...

If you want to "jump in" the Walking Dead comics, i recommend to you the first compilation "Days Gone Bye"

http://www.amazon.com/The-Walking-De...ing+dead+comic

But there's also a Hardcover:

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-O...ead+hardcovers

...and even, omnibus:

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-C...ead+compendium

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    So, today I bought up the third issue of Star Wars and Before Watchmen (3-6 Ozy & 1 Dr. M). I am going to get The Walking Dead, hopefully, at the beginning of next month. Thanks for the info on that @henryeatscereal !

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Very enjoyable once you get into it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Marvel NOW is really shaping up nicely in my opinion now that it's been about 6 months in. They have a core of really strong titles I'm enjoying week to week now.

All New X-Men I've mentioned before. It's the buzzworthy flagship title. But now you have Uncanny Avengers getting really interesting (Onslaught, Apocalypse Twins), Cable and X-Force, New Avengers (Cap mind wiped and booted from the Illuminati) the list goes on.

You have some really great stand alone titles like Thor God of Thunder and Hawkeye. People are raving about Fearless Defenders but it hasn't hit me yet. I've been loving X-Men Legacy something fierce though, but I know it's sales are way down and worry it will be cancelled.

Then of course you have Superior Spidey, which is absolutely polarizing, but I'm still very interested to see where Slott goes with this. The sister title Avenging Spider-Man is a great complimentary piece to it. Even Scarlet Spider has been a pleasant surprise for me.

Looking forward to Wave 2.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Grant Morrison rocks the Batman world by saying that Batman actually killed The Joker at the end of 'The Killing Joke'

Alan Moore I guess did kinda secretly write the last Batman story in a way. This is big news to us Bat-nerds lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    When i go in a comic book store i usually look for something new and unusual, I love finding something new, i love the comc book world, its an artform i been appreciating a lot more recently, favorites in the past have been Judge Dredd and Hellblazer, usually go for stories that are a bit more realistic and dark, i have never been able to get into Batman and X Men or the classic superhero strips, it took me a while to discover the amazing comic book world buried underneath all of that.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    Say what you want about Bendis, but this was one of the riskiest Marvel Now titles, and All-New X-Men is doing nothing but delivering the goods.

I was pretty skeptical about the premise and it could've easily gone far the other way but I really do like where they are going with it. Not too many of the other titles have grabbed me thus far, but I will be following this book for a while.

X-Men Legacy has also shown some solid potential in its first two issues.
    Really enjoying All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men right now. Who knew Cyclops could be such a badass?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Really enjoying All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men right now. Who knew Cyclops could be such a badass?
    The only thing that's been bothering me is that apparently "young Cyclops" will die during the upcoming crossover (Battle for the Atom), but Bendis isn't applying the "Back to the future rule" (If you die in the past you cease to exist).

It sounds a bit retarded to be honest...

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I don't like him as a comic book writer... but that comment was awesome!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My current pull list consists of Avengers, New Avengers, Infinity, Guardians of the Galaxy, Saga, The Massive, Lazarus and X-O Manowar. Really been digging the Image creator-owned stuff and the new Valiant books. I'm thinking of dropping Guardians and the Massive to make room for the new Sandman and Valiant's Unity, but I'm not really sure whether to trade wait on those two upcoming books. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Who's reading Sex Criminals?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    The Fables will end with issue #150, in 2015. Bittersweet news. On one had that's a long ass run and it's time to wrap things up for good. On the other, Fables was the first comic book my wife and I discovered as a married couple, and we pretty much started with issue #1, back in 2002, which means that by the time the series ends we went the first 13 years of our marriage buying an issue of Fables each month! End of a chapter.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/...26d11a53000006

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Who's reading Sex Criminals?
    I am. It's hilarious. Easily the better of Fraction's current Image work (I'm reading Satellite Sam, too, but I'm pretty close to dropping it).

I'm a really big Marvel guy. Been reading a lot of ongoings, as well as everything the Ultimate universe has been putting out. I actually started reading comics through Ultimate Spider-Man, and I think killing Peter Parker was a good decision with a strong follow-through in Miles Morales.

I am a little worried about Cataclysm being the end of the Ultimate universe, though, as irrational as that fear is considering all the shit Bendis has teased for Ultimate Spider-Man coming up.