Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics!!!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ...and a friendly reminder that American Gods Volume 3: The Moment of the Storm is now available. Gorgeous art.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Boght the Paper Girls series and can't wait to get into that. First I've got to finish The Incal, though. AND I've also got a Mister X compendium waiting for me. Plus eying those Hellboy compendiums.

Oh well...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    ...and a friendly reminder that American Gods Volume 3: The Moment of the Storm is now available. Gorgeous art.
    With no access to the library and the actual books I keep forgetting about this! I should just go ahead and order the damn things.

comics thought I read today:
    I also have this theory that Popeye didn’t like spinach. I believe that he was a Hulk, and that eating canned spinach was the fastest way to make himself angry.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    The Batman DC Rebirth hardcover deluxe editions are on sale through Amazon so just starting into Book 2. Admittedly through the insane amount of Bat-comics I buy on a monthly basis...before this I haven't begun the actual main Batman storyline! It's up to something like issue 95 now so I've got a ton of catching up to do.

Oh and next week, the one-shot from Lemire and Sorrentino (of Gideon Falls fame) have their one-shot Batman: Smile Killer dropping, and I can't wait.

thanks for the tip, apparently there's a buy 3 for the price of 2 promotion on Amazon so I'm scoring a killer deal! making a final decision....

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    There was a Lemire Humble Bundle a few months ago that I grabbed, I really should dig into that with all of this free time *coughcough* that we have.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Speaking of Lemire...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    did one last order for the month since it's 3 for the price of 2:
    Batman: Damned
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: the Ultimate Collection
    Batman Beyond Rebirth volume 1

also, comic shops have recently opened up around me after being closed for a few months. my gf and I wanted to support our local one, and we also had a nice day trip to Kevin Smith's comic shop.
    I picked up:
    Nightwing vol 1
    Batman & Harley Quinn
    Batman Adventures Mad Love

my gf picked up Saga vol 1. She said it's great so far, and the owner of the shop was raving about the series. It was a blind buy on her behalf. She also picked up a Batman Beyond single issue and trade. She was a huge Batman Beyond fan growing up and has now gotten me into it as well.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: the Ultimate Collection
    The initial TMNT stuff just has a great look to it. You know the story behind their creation? (if not, the Netflix series "The Toys That Made Us" S3 E1 covers it well)

my gf picked up Saga vol 1. She said it's great so far, and the owner of the shop was raving about the series. It was a blind buy on her behalf.
    The creator of Saga lives like, 3 blocks away from me. Her partner also put out a neat comic inspired by some regional history (Frank).

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    cool!
    I'll have to watch that episode on Netflix, thanks!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

This looks like it could be pretty good. Plus the whole 6-issue run is out so I don't have to wait for anything.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Ronin came today, super excited for this one!

I want to get into Sin City..but the books seem hard to find and expensive.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Last of the initial Spawn I want arrived today... 1 - 25. More more Amazing Spider-Man (although, technically two, but one isn't a McFarlane... but I want a complete storyline, soooo....) and then I just have those Incredible Hulks to pick-up and I can consider this quest done.

And then I can read them.

And then I can sleep.

Or have a sandwich.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

In unrelated news I was looking at the Bruce Wayne Agent of SHIELD book on Goodreads the other day and my wife was very confused. So I explained a bit about that story and showed her some cover art for the other books. Will be reading all of those plus the DC vs. Marvel four-parter this week.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    really getting into Frank Miller lately.
    ordered yesterday:
    Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson vol 1
    The Life & Times of Martha Washington in the 21st Century

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I know it concluded a couple of months ago, but I finally had a chance to finish Paper Girls, and it was blast! Highly recommended!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    finished Ronin today...absolutely loved it. I certainly felt Michonne was inspired by this book. Also, Stranger Things to a small degree (when psychic powers are used, a nose bleed follows, like El )

Started reading Batman Hush and I can't put it down! Seriously, I've been binge reading like people binge shows. I only have a few issues left and I'll finish it tomorrow. I forgot how much I love Jim Lee's art- in the early 90's as a kid his was some of the first artwork I had seen and it had such a lasting impact on me apparently.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Finally get dig into these...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    enjoy....I remember collecting those as a kid as they were coming out. I was too young to fully understand it, but he quickly became one of my favorite characters. The art, of course, hooked me in. Love it. I think I'll be making my way back to Spawn not too far down the line. Getting into Batman now though first. Speaking of...I remember my grandparents buying me two comic books randomly one day as a surprise...Batman: Gotham By Gaslight and Spawn/Batman. Totally too dark for a 7 year old at the time hah! They didn't look, just saw Batman and figured it was like the 60's TV show. Wish I still had those comics.

Just discovered the site In Stock Trades...geez their prices are better than Amazon! I'm putting together my next haul on there. Think I'm going to complete the Miller Daredevil stuff and pick up a few more Batman books.

I also started reading Preacher...I'm halfway through the first issue...is the series good? Worth reading?
    Last edited by versusreality; 07-14-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just discovered the site In Stock Trades...geez their prices are better than Amazon! I'm putting together my next haul on there. Think I'm going to complete the Miller Daredevil stuff and pick up a few more Batman books.

I also started reading Preacher...I'm halfway through the first issue...is the series good? Worth reading?
    Batman vs. Predator form the early 90s was quite engaging I remember (as a suggested title to check out) and I've heard good things about Preacher.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 07-15-2020 at 06:47 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh hell yes.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post

Finally get dig into these...
    I recognize those!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    enjoy....I remember collecting those as a kid as they were coming out. I was too young to fully understand it, but he quickly became one of my favorite characters. The art, of course, hooked me in. Love it. I think I'll be making my way back to Spawn not too far down the line. Getting into Batman now though first. Speaking of...I remember my grandparents buying me two comic books randomly one day as a surprise...Batman: Gotham By Gaslight and Spawn/Batman. Totally too dark for a 7 year old at the time hah! They didn't look, just saw Batman and figured it was like the 60's TV show. Wish I still had those comics.

I got the first collection through Google because of one of those dumb coupons they give you randomly. I liked it, though it's also squeam-inducing in bits.

side note: watched the comic-con trailer for the first season of the show last night with my son to see if he would be interested in the show and he didn't really get it, and I could totally see why: things are set up in-scene in a way that would only make sense if you'd already read the book. I don't know why they cut that together that way. Maybe because it was for comic-con? still.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I recognize those!
    I'll be posting pics of all 25, in groups of 5, as I go through them... that tweet will have a thread with it. Because... reasons.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Just read through the first few Spawn issues. I love the mythology of it, but I think the writing is a bit silly at times. I remember watching the animated version and really liking it.

Also started Paper Girls and the first issue of Transmetropolitan!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Just read through the first few Spawn issues. I love the mythology of it, but I think the writing is a bit silly at times. I remember watching the animated version and really liking it.

Also started Paper Girls and the first issue of Transmetropolitan!
    I've found Spawn, thus far, to be... silly. In a very good way, but still silly. I blame Violator. But of course that can change in the next 20 issues I want to read.

I really enjoyed Transmet.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I just finished the Batman: Long Halloween graphic novel....excellent...had me guessing every time I turned the page. then when you think you have it figured it out...the ending totally proved any guesses I had wrong..awesome

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Issue 10 of Spawn is just great (the Cerebus/Dave Sims one).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So yeah, this is a mindfuck. I was a big fan of his writing, but mannn...fuck this dude.

Warren Ellis has been grooming, targeting, and manipulating women for years.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    So yeah, this is a mindfuck. I was a big fan of his writing, but mannn...fuck this dude.

Warren Ellis has been grooming, targeting, and manipulating women for years.
    That is a great response. He came out almost a month ago and denied the allegations, so they spent the next month compiling everything before coming back full-force... and it's not a Google document.

--------------------

I guess I missed The Rise of Ultraman preorder packs for #1. I haven't bought a comic in years.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    any recommendations on 100 Bullets?