Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Comics!!!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Oh yes, Miller/Janson run is the one i meant!

Miller and Romita's "Man Without Fear" is not a run, it's more like a mini-series (and a retelling of the origin), Miller/Janson run is longer and lasted from 1979 to 1983, there's many compilations, some come in TBP or Omnibus.

If you don't want to read the whole run you can just check out "Born Again", that's a story inside Miller/Janson run that is a must for the character.

More info:

https://www.marvel.com/comics/collec...rade_paperback
    ahhh i see, yup i’ll give them a go, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    FUCK NO! God damn I just saw him a while back at a comic con. This is terrible.

Fuck fuck fuck.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Him and Denny O Neil, truly defined Batman

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    AAAAAAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA... finally done this binge of comics. 147 individual issues (the most comics I've ever read... ever).

Did it do what I wanted it to? Too early to tell I think (in one sense it did, watching McFarlane's style and ideas evolve was a secondary goal)... did I enjoy it? Why yes I did. I'm looking forward to whenever I do another binge on the Age of Apocalypse stuff (older and newer). Will I pick any more? Ooo... tough to say. A strong maybe, if I see things that look interesting (Marvel 1602 might do it).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Obviously, everyone will have heard this news already. What a week though, first Neal Adams and then George Perez. RIP George!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    just started reading Bone, has anyone read it?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

some absolutely hilarious shops in this thread.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh boy. Tim Sale in the hospital with ‘serious health problems’. Fuckssakes…

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Oh boy. Tim Sale in the hospital with ‘serious health problems’. Fuckssakes…

FUCK. He didn't make it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Ugh, feels like we've lost so many iconic comic creators lately.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Oh No.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    anyone got Marvel Unlimited?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [parasite] View Post
    anyone got Marvel Unlimited?

i was only wondering if the full run of Moon Knight: Marc Spector was on there? but from what i’ve read, it’s not, it’s not even been collected in any omnibus of any kind, anyone have any idea where i might be able to find them?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    but from what i’ve read, it’s not, it’s not even been collected in any omnibus of any kind, anyone have any idea where i might be able to find them?
    Looks like there were some physical omnibus's (I don't know about the specific Marc Spector part) that came just kinda recently... link

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Comics!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Looks like there were some physical omnibus's (I don't know about the specific Marc Spector part) that came just kinda recently... link
    i think the Epic collections are starting to be published but in the next edition with is due in September, there’s only the first 7 issues.

thank you for looking

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    made the pilgrimage to Mile High Comics while on family vacation a week ago. place is huge, a little overwhelming, but overall pretty awesome! Bought Spider-Man: Blue HC

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I've been going through the Humanoids Megabundle Featuring The Incal - Humble Bundle books the past couple of weeks and I have to say it's weird.

I'm currently going through the Metabarons set of books and they're pretty wild. I read Othon & Honorata (goodreads groups them like that) a month ago and my thoughts are that it's a really long story that is impressive in scope and artistry. I wish the conceit of the story - the robots telling the story, that is - wasn't as grating though. The one robot keeps saying "yo this is so exciting I'm going to blow a gasket!" and the other one keeps telling it to shut up. It's like if R2 *AND* 3PO could talk and were both complete trash robots.

I get some of the stilted language is due to translation but it sticks out when it happens. Not enough for me to say "oh this is terrible!" but enough to call it out.

Finished Aghnar & Oda yesterday. I still think the overall storytelling conceit of the two robots needs to be jettisoned. The best part of the book was when the one removed the vocal circuits (or whatever) of the one who keeps interrupting.

The stories themselves are still interesting, though there are certainly parts where you think "oh so you're telling ~15 stories in seven pages because there are two panels per page with a small "the battle of ___, and the battle of ___" with each panel. Cool.

I will say that every time they show Aghnar reach down and 'boop' his feet off made me laugh. such an unnecessary panel to include but I love that it's there, every time.

I can't choose between a 3 and 4 because of the robots so 3.5 it is.

I also read Alexandro Jodorowsky's Screaming Planet Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. Interesting that it was split up that way since the book itself doesn't appear to be split? even the digital files vol 2 just kind of starts. Anyway, This is a rag-tag bunch of stories and artists. Some of them are downright amazing - The Invasion / Robochrist / The Loyal Khondor - while others are just weird for weird's sake - Eucharist Sun/ The Debt. Though Tears of Gold is also good in that the story has a better 'moral' than the rest with a beginning/middle/end for the horrible family therein. (Spoilers for Thor 4 - this story came to mind at certain parts of the film)

The general conceit is laid out in the first story and the way that pushes through to the others is a very interesting way to give the stories their impetus.

Basic question about Metabarons: WTF.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post
    made the pilgrimage to Mile High Comics while on family vacation a week ago. place is huge, a little overwhelming, but overall pretty awesome! Bought Spider-Man: Blue HC
    They're also notorious for overcharging for everything they sell. It's a cool place to visit, but I would never buy anything there. Also it's insane how horrible their website continues to be. They legit haven't updated it since the 90s, I'm pretty sure.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Motherfucker. Alan Grant has died. This has been a terrible stretch in the comic world as of late.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Die by Kieron Gillen
    The Wicked + The Divine writer Kieron Gillen teams up with artist supernova Stephanie Hans (WicDiv, Journey Into Mystery) for her first ongoing comic. Die is a pitch-black fantasy where a group of forty-something adults have to deal with the returning, unearthly horror they only just survived as teenage role-players. If Kieron's in a rush, he describes it as "Goth Jumanji", but that's only the tip of this obsidian iceberg.
    Imagine D&D but real and forty years after the last game gave your group PTSD and also left one of your party with only one arm. There's also an RPG to go with it but as it spoils the fourth volume (endgame spoilers I guess) Kieron says to let it be until you get there organically.

The art in WicDiv was really good - until it wasn't, for reasons that I guess make/made sense at one point to someone. Anyway, this continues the artgasm and if anything rolls it up a notch. sorry, really bad pun. not intended!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Started reading Spawn and really liking it!
    and i think i’m gonna have Darkness in rotation.

gonna maybe add Invisible in too

i’m trying to stay very far from Marvel and DC at the moment, not sure why, i think i’ve just burnt myself out on them…

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Started reading Spawn and really liking it!
    Aside from anything else I could say about it... I just love the use of colours in it....

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Treated myself for my birthday a couple weeks ago and got a few Silver and Bronze age Superman and Fourth World keys, including some classic covers and first appearances (including Darkseid), not to mention Jack Kirby's first DC work.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

It's not every day you get a shout out from one of your favorite comic creators!

Backstory: a couple weeks ago Terry tweeted that he was looking for a very specific Totoro toy that his wife had loved and lost. He offered a free sketch if someone could find one for him to purchase. I set out to scouring the web and managed to find one on Etsy. I wasn't the only one that found it, but the issue was that the owner of the Etsy shop was on vacation which also made it look like the toy was sold out. Terry wrote it off.

Meanwhile I set up notifications for the Etsy store to get notified when the seller was back, and when they were, sure enough, the Totoro was listed as in stock again. I sent Terry some messages to make sure he knew, and he was able to get it, and offered me the free sketch for my help! This is the sketch he made for me, featuring Francine & Katchoo of Strangers in Paradise holding the Totoro. Soooooo excited to get it!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    does anyone no if there are any good comic book forums?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    RIP Carlos Pacheco

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    RIP Carlos Pacheco
    Met him at a con many years ago, great guy!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    They're also notorious for overcharging for everything they sell. It's a cool place to visit, but I would never buy anything there. Also it's insane how horrible their website continues to be. They legit haven't updated it since the 90s, I'm pretty sure.
    Sorry for coming back to this forever later, but yea that website is terrible. Also, it was so damn hot in there when we went. I think that's part of the reason I felt overwhelmed. I told my wife that next time we are in the Denver Metro, I'll be stopping at Timewarp instead. MHC was cool to visit but I don't want to really go back.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    i’ve done some lots of buying during November & December, but since the royal mail industrial strikes, lots of them haven’t arrived yet , but i’ll take some pics of what have arrived already, possibly i’ve bought nearly 300!
    haven’t started reading any of them yet lol, i wanna work out a good starting point, that works out. anyways enough for now…
    and lots of incomplete runs too, which adds to the fun of finding them on ebay!
    i’ll post pics shortly.

oh and our new little kitten, is wanting so much attention at the moment, and she’s into chewing, that’s not a good thing…