Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Thinking of her and pronouns w/out antecedents

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Thinking of her and pronouns w/out antecedents

Listening to the trilogy lately, I noticed the ubiquitous they (the pronoun without an antecedent in the song or song title) was not mentioned in this album. This and @xolotl s lyric database (which is awesome) got me thinking about other pronouns that appear without antecedents in the songs and came up with a theory I wanted to run across yall about she.

So basically, the idea is this. 1) Internal to the lyrics, a number of songs mention her in similar contexts that parallel. 2) External to the songs, stuff like YZ arg, soundtrack work, and interviews show TR is interested in the environment, and so 3) I think that many (if not all) of the references to she refer to the spirit of nature/a nature spirit.

A couple of examples with some of the parallels (in color to make it easier): Red would be references to whore and nature. Blue is references to food/devouring. Bold is insect references. Underline is references to damage and/or the straight line (that also seems to indicate damage).

REPTILE
    She spreads herself wide open to let the insects in
    She leaves a trail of honey to show me where she's been
    She has the blood of a reptile just underneath her skin
    Seeds from a thousand others drip down from within
    Oh, my beautiful liar
    Oh, my precious whore
    My disease, my infection
    I am so impure

(The connection to NTAE made more so with the B-side.)

SURVIVALSIM
    I should have listened to her
    So hard to keep control
    We kept on eating but our
    Bloated belly's still not full

She gave us all she had but
    We went and took some more
    Can't seem to shut her legs our
    Mother nature is a whore

All bruised and broken, bleeding
    She asked to take my hand

I turned, just keep on walking
    What you'd do the same thing in the circumstance, I'm sure you'll understand

BRANCHES/BONES
    Spiders crawling everywhere, infected Japanese
    Cold and black and infinite, with nothing left to lose
    If you try to keep the flies away, the makeup hides the bruise
    Her branches are the bones that break, become a perfect line

SHE'S GONE AWAY
    You dig in places til your fingers bleed
    Spread the infection where you spill your seed

Yeah, I was watching on the day she died

We keep licking while the skin turns black

(The note about the sound similarities between this and Eraser in another thread adds to this I think.)

THIS ISN'T THE PLACE
    And if you see my friend
    I thought I would again
    A single thin straight line

SHIT MIRROR
    I tried a bit then I tried some more*
    I left her on the bathroom floor
    I think I knew when it crossed the line

I think I knew the whole goddamned time

*I realize this line could be interpreted as meaning something other than devouring but think the verb tense of kept on matches the continual aspect of these lines.

Anywho, Id like to know what you guys think about this and some of the other pronouns without antecedents in the songs.

Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Interesting @dedevoce

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I interpret it that way :

Reptile is from the point of view of Nature, the "she" being Humanity, and She's Gone Away from the point of view of a human, "you" is Humanity and "she" is Nature. And during the Trilogy it's all about Nature, her branches are the bones that break, I left her on the bathroom floor.. For Shit Mirror I'm not sure, it could either be some form of Humanity embracing its disintegration, only seeing shit looking at her reflection, or some kind of personification of Nature just leaving its old state behind, embracing its own destruction if it means humans are going to eat shit in the end. Always one or the other, I'd guess.

The idea of a straight line could be considered as forcing an untouched element to an unnatural shape, such as a perfect line. Humanity bending Nature her way. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, in the case of This Isn't The Place, where mourning could be unnatural but certainly beneficial, personally or as a whole.
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 11-27-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    As I posted in this topic.

It's context sensitive.

For example, Sanctified is about a relationship with a crack pipe. Reptile, literally about a whore. The Fragile, maybe his deceased grandmother. The Great Below is vague, but as said previously, could be about drug addiction or death personified. With Teeth (song) is overtly about drugs, whose "kiss (is) the blackest sea", possibly referring back to TGB. Sunspots, drugs.
    Adding to that, there may have been a shift in what the pronoun refers to. The 'she' from Pretty Hate Machine is probably not the same as the 'she' from the Trilogy.

Branches/Bones may be written from the perspective of the persona from schizophreniasdiary.
    Some of the Trilogy may be about Twin Peaks.

And didn't TR's mother die in the past few years?
    Last edited by katara; 11-27-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I disagree with most of the interpretations above, and have volumes I could write about what i think is going on here, but let me just say that I am excited to hear people actually trying to make sense of and find meaning in the lyrics. Often our interpretations say a lot about who we are and what we think about, but thats part of why Trent and other good artists leave a lot of questions unanswered. It allows us to fill in the gaps and see our own lives in the work.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I disagree with most of the interpretations above, and have volumes I could write about what i think is going on here, but let me just say that I am excited to hear people actually trying to make sense of and find meaning in the lyrics. Often our interpretations say a lot about who we are and what we think about, but that’s part of why Trent and other good artists leave a lot of questions unanswered. It allows us to fill in the gaps and see our own lives in the work.
    I agree with your points about the reader (and also noticed the interesting things we all revealed about ourselves) very happy too to hear people talking about the lyrics. If you want to show, would you care to share some ideas from some of those "volumes I could write"?
    Last edited by dedevoce; 11-28-2018 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Clarification