2018.11.25 New Orleans, LA @ Saenger Theatre

Nola 3

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    AATCHB.

I can die in peace.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Easily the best of the three nights in my opinion, but I was also looking forward to it the most, of course.

My husband and I brought our boys all the way to New Orleans for this show because this city is very special to us, so we wanted them to not just see their first concert and it be Nine Inch Nails, but we also wanted it to be in this city we love. They bounced and jumped around and sang and absolutely loved it. I couldn't be prouder of them or more happy with how the night went.

We didn't get there until about 830, and I was sad to see the posters were already gone, but luckily I got one from Dave Kloc's website yesterday. We were able to grab the very last two event shirts available for the night, though. Only wish there had been one song played that night that they had already played Friday night, so I knew it probably wouldn't happen again, and that's I'm Afraid of Americans - my younger one has been singing that since he was 3, and I had told him about how NIN sometimes plays that live, so he was hoping to hear it. Bummer on that. But can't say I'm sorry that we got Subterraneans that night instead, so. Getting AATCHB was the highlight for me, of course. I was completely surprised, because once they started into The Good Soldier, my heart sank, and I was sure it wasn't going to happen. Then they broke between songs and Trent said they were going to "pull another rarity out of the bag of tricks", and my heart started pounding. I cried. It was perfection.

My little one was absolutely positive that he was going to get to meet Trent and the band and get their autograph just by going to the show, which was funny and I tried to explain all the reasons why that probably wouldn't happen, but he was set on it, so after the show we took them around to the side of the building and waited for them to come out. Of course, when Trent came out, he rushed straight to the car, so after my kids saw that, they shrugged their shoulders and we went on our merry way to get a midnight snack.

We were met with a lot of high fives and thumbs up, lots of smiles when people looked down and saw the kids there with us. Lots of people stopped them to say "you're going to love this!" or "you're so lucky, I wish my first concert had been this cool", etc, etc. Lots of nice comments, which made my kids feel happy and more excited for the evening, and I was grateful for everyone that did that. I'm a pretty typical, protective parent in lots of ways, but not about music. I know not everyone thinks you should take your kids to a show like Nine Inch Nails when they're 7 and 10 years old, but the thing is... I could not give a fuck. My kids love listening to NIN with me. We've bonded over it. They love the music, regardless of what they really understand about the meaning of the songs or not, and yes, they sometimes have questions, but for the most part they just take it at face value. Their first show pretty much had to be this - they've asked repeatedly for me to take them for the last year every time I told them I was going to see NIN again. It turned out to be incredible, and I know they'll have great memories of it to take on with them once I'm long gone. I have zero regrets about it.

Last edited by magnolia; 11-27-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: fotos + video

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    Easily the best of the three nights in my opinion, but I was also looking forward to it the most, of course.

My husband and I brought our boys all the way to New Orleans for this show because this city is very special to us, so we wanted them to not just see their first concert and it be Nine Inch Nails, but we also wanted it to be in this city we love. They bounced and jumped around and sang and absolutely loved it. I couldn't be prouder of them or more happy with how the night went.

We didn't get there until about 830, and I was sad to see the posters were already gone, but luckily I got one from Dave Kloc's website yesterday. We were able to grab the very last two event shirts available for the night, though. Only wish there had been one song played that night that they had already played Friday night, so I knew it probably wouldn't happen again, and that's I'm Afraid of Americans - my younger one has been singing that since he was 3, and I had told him about how NIN sometimes plays that live, so he was hoping to hear it. Bummer on that. But can't say I'm sorry that we got Subterraneans that night instead, so. Getting AATCHB was the highlight for me, of course. I was completely surprised, because once they started into The Good Soldier, my heart sank, and I was sure it wasn't going to happen. Then they broke between songs and Trent said they were going to "pull another rarity out of the bag of tricks", and my heart started pounding. I cried. It was perfection.

My little one was absolutely positive that he was going to get to meet Trent and the band and get their autograph just by going to the show, which was funny and I tried to explain all the reasons why that probably wouldn't happen, but he was set on it, so after the show we took them around to the side of the building and waited for them to come out. Of course, when Trent came out, he rushed straight to the car, so after my kids saw that, they shrugged their shoulders and we went on our merry way to get a midnight snack.

We were met with a lot of high fives and thumbs up, lots of smiles when people looked down and saw the kids there with us. Lots of people stopped them to say "you're going to love this!" or "you're so lucky, I wish my first concert had been this cool", etc, etc. Lots of nice comments, which made my kids feel happy and more excited for the evening, and I was grateful for everyone that did that. I'm a pretty typical, protective parent in lots of ways, but not about music. I know not everyone thinks you should take your kids to a show like Nine Inch Nails when they're 7 and 10 years old, but the thing is... I could not give a fuck. My kids love listening to NIN with me. We've bonded over it. They love the music, regardless of what they really understand about the meaning of the songs or not, and yes, they sometimes have questions, but for the most part they just take it at face value. Their first show pretty much had to be this - they've asked repeatedly for me to take them for the last year every time I told them I was going to see NIN again. It turned out to be incredible, and I know they'll have great memories of it to take on with them once I'm long gone. I have zero regrets about it.
    That's awesome! You have a lovely family! I went Fri and Sun and thought that Sun was the better show. Setlist was fairly close to what I predicted. The two Bowie songs were worth the ticket price by themselves! I hope it is not a lot of years before they come back!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    one of the best reviews on here I can remember.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I have not posted on here in quite some time. But this show...

This was my 80th time seeing NIN. So of course I have seen some amazing moments. NIN/Bowie, TDS @ Webster Hall, NIN/Adam Ant, NIN/Peter Murphy....I mean, its a long list.

This show in particular was special. All 3 were great, but there was that special magic in the air on this night. Obviously New Orleans is a special place in the history of NIN. Before the show, I took a trip down to 4500 Magazine Street to pay my respects. My pilgrimage.

I sat and had a beer at the Buddha Bar across the street, looking out the window at the old Nothing Studios, and imagined TR sitting in there, writing some of the best music of his career. And in particular, AND ALL THAT COULD HAVE BEEN. Of course that song means a lot to me, as I'm sure it means to a lot of you. So once it magically appeared on a setlist in Chicago, I don't think I ever hoped for anything more in my very privileged NIN fandom, than to see that song played in the city of its birth.

The theater of course, was beautiful.

The entire setlist was impeccable.

Mr. Self Destruct
    Piggy
    Last
    March of the Pigs
    Me, I'm Not
    Shit Mirror
    The Beginning of the End
    Suck
    I Do Not Want This
    The Big Come Down
    I Can't Give Everything Away
    Subterraneans
    with lyrics from God Break Down The Door, snippets of Over And Out + The Frail
    The Perfect Drug
    Gave Up
    Wish
    The Hand That Feeds
    Head Like a Hole

The bold sections in particular were just relentless. The Bowie covers had me pretty choked up. To hear Subterraneans again after 23 years was amazing. Followed up by The Perfect Drug?! I mean, this was something I had been hoping for since I was a teenager. At that point I had pretty much given up on seeing AATCHB. I felt like the show was special enough.

Encore:
    Survivalism
    The Good Soldier
    And All That Could Have Been
    Hurt

Then the encore arrived and TR gave his little speech, mentioning that the following was a very rare song. One that had been "Written just up the street."
    I held my breathe. Robin started playing and so much emotion came over me. Memories. Sorrows. Long nights overthinking everything in the world. Similar feelings felt when I heard A Warm Place played for the first time at Webster Hall.

After the show I said hi to a few friends. Got a souvenir, and left completely in shock. After 80 shows, the man can still surprise me.

SO. Now I debate going to Vegas to continue on this amazing journey with this band.