Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Cold and Black and Infinite Brick Road (The Trilogy syncs to The Wizard of Oz)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    There are real Nine Inch Nails videos that barely, if ever, synchronize with their respective songs. Less Than, Came Back Haunted, Burning Bright...

I'm sure there are Pink Floyd videos that way too (not familiar with them to name examples, i'll leave that to others)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    No, they can't. What would be the threshold for evidence to establish that? There's no precedent for such a claim that I know. If they tried to distribute their own version of the film with the soundtrack replaced with "Echoes", then that would be a different matter.
    If it's based on the movie, it would be considered a "derivative work" for which they would need a license. And if Pink Floyd says in an interview that they based their song on the movie, that might be all the plaintiff would need to demonstrate that it was derivative. Pink Floyd would then probably be stuck claiming "fair use" as a defense, which has been narrowly construed by the courts, especially for large scale commercial works.

Meddle has sold like 3 million copies worldwide, so the potential liability is non-trivial. edit: although copyright law may be different for the non-US sales.

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    As I said already, it was extremely difficult to even attempt to intentionally synchronize tape to film for that long in the early 70s. The band were composing in multiple studios with various pieces of music stitched together to form the suite, and the technical challenges associated with this were already pretty immense, even without precisely timing it all to film. It's nearly impossible that this would be an intentional, conscious effort on the band's part to make 23 minutes of music match an existing film so precisely.
    It doesn't need to be that complicated. It could have been as easy as writing down the approximate timing for the transitions in the film and then roughly cutting their song to fit. The way Meddle was written (being composed in separate pieces that were then stitched together) would make this even easier.

And it doesn't need to be precise to the 0.1 second. If you watch it (seriously, have you watched it recently? That could end the argument), you see that the transitions are sometimes a second or so off (but very clearly transitioning with the film).
    Last edited by HurtinMinorKey; 11-25-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I mean, it's POSSIBLE.
    I don't think it's PROBABLE though.

If it's intentional, I guess "bad witch" is the clue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    If it's based on the movie, it would be considered a "derivative work" for which they would need a license. And if Pink Floyd says in an interview that they based their song on the movie, that might be all the plaintiff would need to demonstrate that it was derivative. Pink Floyd would then probably be stuck claiming "fair use" as a defense, which has been narrowly construed by the courts, especially for large scale commercial works.

Meddle has sold like 3 million copies worldwide, so the potential liability is non-trivial. edit: although copyright law may be different for the non-US sales.

It doesn't need to be that complicated. It could have been as easy as writing down the approximate timing for the transitions in the film and then roughly cutting their song to fit. The way Meddle was written (being composed in separate pieces that were then stitched together) would make this even easier.
    Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

And it doesn't need to be precise to the 0.1 second. If you watch it (seriously, have you watched it recently? That could end the argument), you see that the transitions are sometimes a second or so off (but very clearly transitioning with the film)
    me i watched it
    Last edited by rossi123; 01-23-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post

9apps vidmate

And it doesn't need to be precise to the 0.1 second. If you watch it (seriously, have you watched it recently? That could end the argument), you see that the transitions are sometimes a second or so off (but very clearly transitioning with the film).
    Haha, I loved it man!! watched it like 1000 times.
    Last edited by scottsmith01; 07-10-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm still laughing at the idea that the completely disorganized, sometimes stoned, fancy-free Pink Floyd of 1971 sat in a screening room with stopwatches and timed out all 23 minutes of Kubrick's editing cuts to write a song around... then played it on the road for months with the exact same timing structure... then cut everything together in rudimentary hired studios in between odd gigs using imperfect ready-to-hand analogue machinery, to within a second's pace of a film that was not available to the general public... and hushed up everybody in the long list of engineers and studio operators who worked on the album from commenting on it for almost 50 years.

They didn't even bother to change their worn-out guitar strings during overdub sessions for that album, they were so lackadaisical about precise technical matters in those days. I mean, the burden of proof for this claim that the synchronization of "Echoes" is intentional squarely falls not on the skeptics, but on the believers. It's fun to watch, but surely it's an unintentional meeting of minds rather than a feat of unprecedented technical accomplishment.
    Last edited by botley; 07-08-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    It seemed to work at the beginning, but it got looser and looser as it went along.

It was fun though!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    At this point, syncing your album to the Wizard of Oz would be the most trite, unoriginal, and cliché thing a rock band could possibly do. I'm sure there are some unintended and coincidental parts that just HAPPEN to sync up, but come on...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I don't think either of those things are true actually. You can't really sue someone for using your film as a basis for a track unless you sample it directly or use it as part of the title, and even then, things are a bit murky. As far as having a bootleg of the film, there would be no way to prove who had it, where it came from, and where it went after they allegedly used it. Not a lot of evidence to go on there, and certainly not worth the time to investigate or hide that they did it.
    Ironically Roger Waters originally intended to put some dialogue from 2001 in a song on his Amused To Death album, but was denied the permission by Kubrick (the memory of the whole "Atom Heart Mother"/Clockwork Orange debacle not too far from his thoughts apparently) to use it, so Roger instead put a masked backwards clip of him cursing out Kubrick instead. But after Stanley's death, Roger did use the dialogue in live performances and eventually the 2015 remix of Amused To Death.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    The Prodigy Experience syncs to Mario Kart 64. Seriously.
    But I highly doubt it was intentional.

Edit: while I don't think the trilogy purposely syncs to TWoO, I DO think the movie was on his mind and inspired the title of Bad Witch, and, more importantly, I think he would probably approve of people THINKING it syncs up to something and TRYING it, based on that quote (the one in the first post of the thread.)

So, yeah, good show. @Madisondisco
    I'm a pretty hardcore Prodigy fan and I've never heard about this. Then again, I wasn't an N64 type of guy. Wrote to my fellow hardcore Prodigy fans to see if they heard about this. For the hardcore NIN fans here, The Prodigy are my NIN.

But, ummm, Experience came out in 1992 and Mario Kart 64 came out in 1996... :/
    Last edited by neorev; 12-06-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I'm a pretty hardcore Prodigy fan and I've never heard about this. Then again, I wasn't an N64 type of guy. Wrote to my fellow hardcore Prodigy fans to see if they heard about this. For the hardcore NIN fans here, The Prodigy are my NIN.

But, ummm, Experience came out in 1992 and Mario Kart 64 came out in 1996... :/
    well, yeah. Again- I'm not saying it was intentional.
    And it's not some worldwide thing. It's just something my brother and i, and my cousin, and a couple of friends noticed.
    The MAIN thing is that Ruff in the Jungle Business comes on close to the beginning of the donkey kong jungle themed level, and OOS plays during rainbow road. several of the songs are about the same length as the levels. Also, the album is about the same length as the way we used to play the game: I can't remember if that was one cup or two, or what. It's been 22 years.
    But it sure did seem uncanny when I was 17.

Again, it certainly wasn't intentional.

Cut me a fucking duck here.

Eat a ten strip and try it.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-07-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

...what do both of these sentences mean?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    ...what do both of these sentences mean?

Last edited by neorev; 12-07-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gave it a chance. Nope.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volk View Post
    Gave it a chance. Nope.
    did you eat ten hits of acid?
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-08-2019 at 05:08 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    My brothers and I once did an uncanny mashup of a Beach Boys greatest hits album and Dragonheart, the 1996 Dennis Quaid fantasy movie. It was kind of unreal how perfectly it all matched. Like I remember there was some kind of village massacre scene in the beginning, and the way the soldiers horses were galloping was perfectly in time with the beat of "Good Vibrations." Also, I think "I Get Around" synced up perfectly with some kind of dragon flying scene, right down to the shot edits and everything. It was awesome. Wish I still had that video.