Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite song moments from ninlive.com (2017-2018)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Favorite song moments from ninlive.com (2017-2018)

I’m in the really really early stages of working my 8th NIN live audio compilation project (previous work can be found here: http://www.ninlive.com/exclusives/compilations.html), and I figured I’d try something new. It’s titled, at the moment, Nine Inch Nails nothing left to lose (2017-2018). I’m creating this thread as a place where people can post their favorite/cool moments in songs, that were recorded during this tour cycle, that they have found. Some interesting extra instrumental parts, extra lyrics, crazy energy, Trent saying cool shit, etc... I’m looking for some help in choosing songs which is the most time consuming part. Please only examples from audio found on www.ninlive.com will be considered to simplify things.

Here is an example that I found recently

2018 10-26 Chicago, IL: Closer has a really cool piano outro which leads into the becoming.

Plus this could be a nice place just to share cool moments from the tour. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by NotinCnStopMeNow; 11-02-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Detroit night one, after The Perfect Drug, recounting on how he never played it because he hated himself when he wrote it. Cool story, Trent seemed way more talkitive that night than the other couple times Ive seen them. There were a couple other cool things he said but more in a “you had to be there kinda way”

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Night one in Atlanta after debuting Dear World, Trent has a funny line about it. Something like “Usually we know what we’re doing up here. That song, we had no fucking idea.”

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Night 1 of Chicago when Trent talked about getting his ass kicked at a Ministry show “right there” as he pointed to someone in the audience. Night 2 introducing the band and then saying “You’re not in your light!” to Ilan and waiting a good couple seconds before introducig him.

Night 2 of Vegas in June when Trent came out for the encore and said “I know what you all were thinking, ‘Are they gonna do an encore or are they gonna fuck us like last night?’”

Trent’s screams at the end of Happiness in Slavery night 2 of Chicago, I Do Not Want This in Vegas, all of And All That Could Have Been (especially with Trent repeating “everything to me” for the ending). The sound cutting out for half the venue and Atticus making the soundboard fritz out during the first time they did Great Destroyer in Vegas. There’s been a lot of great moments.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    Night 1 of Chicago when Trent talked about getting his ass kicked at a Ministry show “right there” as he pointed to someone in the audience.
    I was going to say that!

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Branches/Bones from Day for Night Fest in Houston. Sitting in the rain for ~2 hours before it to be almost front row was worth it.

Obviously I have more highlights from recordings. But I'd like to hear others first.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Red Rocks night 1 when "The Perfect Drug" starts because that guy's reaction is perfect​. Also after the drum solo and after the song finally ends.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    It's funny, I was listening to a show from Wave Goodbye the other week and thinking that there should be a thread where people point out a sort of "greatest hits" or otherwise "interesting" list, given how expansive the archive is. And now here we go!

I've listened to literally two songs from the archive for shows this year, so I don't actually have anything to add to the '17-18 discussion. But I'll be watching the thread closely!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Bakersfield, CA 2017 - Branches/Bones, Less Than & The Lovers.
    Webster Hall 2017 - She's Gone Away & The Loop Closes.
    Day For Night 2017 - Reptile & The Background World.
    Las Vegas Summer 2018, Night 1 - Metal, I Do Not Want This & Came Back Haunted.
    Las Vegas Summer 2018, Night 3 - Somewhat Damaged, TDTWWA, The Frail, The Wretched, Ahead Of Ourselves, Parasite, Digital & Metal (w/ Gary Numan).
    Royal Albert Hall, London - I Can't Give Everything Away.
    The Olympia, Paris - Me, I'm Not & Sanctified.
    AFAS Live, Amsterdam - Closer & The Hand That Feeds.
    Zitadelle, Berlin - The quiet middle part of GBDTD "What time does the goddamned sun go down?".
    Red Rocks, Night 1 - Suck & THE PERFECT DRUG! (also River City Rockfest's TPD after Burn's "technical issue" was crazy as well).
    Red Rocks, Night 2 - Squatting speech and "What could be next?" before ATLITW.
    River City Rockfest - After band introductions Trent debunks the "rumor" about this being their last tour.
    Brooklyn, Night 1 - Now I'm Nothing + Terrible Lie.
    Brooklyn, Night 2 - Last & Physical (You're So).
    Chicago, Night 1 - Starfuckers, Inc.
    Chicago, Night 2 - Sin & AND ALL THAT COULD HAVE BEEN!
    Chicago, Night 3 - Subterraneans.
    Last edited by zeegrizzle; 11-02-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Nashville 2018:
    I know you said only ninlive, but there isn't a complete upload yet of the Nashville show on 9-29. I found Sanctified to be quite enjoyable.
    (Not my recording, and ewww the people talking in the beginning.)

Also something I found interesting, when Dear World was being played Robin had a little hiccup on pitch settings while on stage. Very minor, and I'm not here to just point out him doing wrong, because I LOVE him. He kinda just stood back after the song looking a little disappointed.

Trent talked about the moon, how we had perfect weather for an outdoor event, and laughed as he remembered that NIN was voted least likely to succeed in 1991.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andallthatcouldhavebeen View Post
    Nashville 2018:
    I know you said only ninlive, but there isn't a complete upload yet of the Nashville show on 9-29. I found Sanctified to be quite enjoyable.
    (Not my recording, and ewww the people talking in the beginning.)

Also something I found interesting, when Dear World was being played Robin had a little hiccup on pitch settings while on stage. Very minor, and I'm not here to just point out him doing wrong, because I LOVE him. He kinda just stood back after the song looking a little disappointed.

Trent talked about the moon, how we had perfect weather for an outdoor event, and laughed as he remembered that NIN was voted least likely to succeed in 1991.
    This version of sanctified is awesome. Near the end it sounds like there is a Sunspots interpolation and there are also some lyrics from Please thrown in

I love the sound of the red rocks shows. night one gets my vote as my favorite, TPD not being the main reason but definitely one of them

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3killa View Post
    This version of sanctified is awesome. Near the end it sounds like there is a Sunspots interpolation
    That is the lead synth from Sunspots indeed. I could be mistaken but I believe he started throwing that in during Tension.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The performances of Branches/Bones and Reptile from Day for Night festival are awesome, also, at the ending of The Perfect Drug in Atlanta Trent sung the lyrics with more intensity than usual.

And the whole Mad Cool set is from another world.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Letting You at Red Rocks seemed unusually intense and the drumming was just perfect.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    From the last 2 nights in Chicago, because Trent started playing the frail at the end of Subterraneans I just mixed it together with the actual song from the night before. Quick copy/paste job. https://soundcloud.com/michael-ris/subterraneans-10-26-and-the-frail-the-wretched-10-27-mixed-together
    Last edited by NotinCnStopMeNow; 11-09-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotinCnStopMeNow View Post
    From the last 2 nights in Chicago, because Trent started playing the frail at the end of Subterraneans I just mixed it together with the actual song from the night before. Quick copy/paste job. https://soundcloud.com/michael-ris/subterraneans-10-26-and-the-frail-the-wretched-10-27-mixed-together
    I'm currently finishing a short vid of the three bowie covers played yet interlaced if that interests you for the compilation. Taking the best performances of I'm Afraid Of Americans, I Can't Give Everything Away, and Subterraneans (well, there's only one yet). And of course the last two are fused as a single entity, like the night 3 of the chicago show.

Could be the Bowie part of the compilation. And then going into The Wretched ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    There’s another cool moment from Atlanta night 1. After playing TDTWWA to open the encore, Trent introduces the band, having fun with Robin being from Atlanta. He then remininisces about the last time they played the Fox in Atlanta way back in 1994 with Marilyn Manson. He asks if anyone was at that show and calls bullshit on everyone that cheered. Trent also jokes about how he’s trying not to smile and “ruin his image, but once in a while, one sneaks out.”
    Last edited by K-Rice; 11-13-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I would just like to say that picking the source for and all that could have been was extremely difficult for me. Just speaking audio and the quality of the recording the last time they played it in LA is hands down the best. But I’m going with the first time they played it in Chicago because of the way Trent ended it screaming the everything to me part. Definitely need to stick to why I make these comps, putting together the best/unique performances.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Easy: The Perfect Drug. Didn't even have to think about it, I'd been waiting for nearly 20 years to hear it live. Ahead of Ourselves was also pretty epic.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Just finished picking the last concert source. 83 tracks, this compilation is heavily sourced from LA/San Fran/Vegas. Next step is mixing...

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Just finished picking the last concert source. 83 tracks, this compilation is heavily sourced from LA/San Fran/Vegas. Next step is mixing...
    my man!
    You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
    I've always loved your work; it's helped me.through some damn hard times.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Two moments from the Corona Capital show:

- During "Piggy", the people do the "Nothing can stop me now chants" really loud, Trent appreciates this and stops singing...
    - In "Starfuckers Inc." during the "Don't You..." part, people start a duel of chants that sounds really cool and weird, it's kind of WTF in the coolest possible way.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I don’t want to start a new thread for the project that I’m working on till it’s finished so I’m just going to use this thread for updates.

So here are some updates:
    Sources are all picked and rough mixing is finished.
    The rough unmixed cut is 7 hours long, so it will probably end up being closer to 6 hours and 45 minutes when finished.
    I’ll be mixing together and putting out a tracklist teaser in the next week.
    I still have a few weeks of mixing the the tracks together and then listen through everything a few times through. So my best guess would be about a month till anyone who wants this can get their hands on it.

One last thing, I could use some help on art work for this, Title is: nine inch nails nothing left to lose. Made sense to me with the title of the tour since the lyrics are, “cold and black and infinite with nothing left to lose. Anything goes, just post it here and I’ll choose which one I like the best, or else I’ll have to throw something together myself with MS paint.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    @NotinCnStopMeNow

Here's one. Using Bad Witch artwork, Bleedthrough, a bit of Not The Actual Events, Cold and Black and Infinite font. It can be tweaked.

PDF here

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    @NotinCnStopMeNow

Here's one. Using Bad Witch artwork, Bleedthrough, a bit of Not The Actual Events, Cold and Black and Infinite font. It can be tweaked.

PDF here
    Thst looks fantastic!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    https://soundcloud.com/user-90420102...to-lose-teaser

Short snippets from every track in the order that they will appear in the final project. 81 tracks (some Trent speaking tracks missing from this), 7 hours of music cut down to 14 minutes. A taste of what’s coming. Enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    https://soundcloud.com/user-90420102...to-lose-teaser

Short snippets from every track in the order that they will appear in the final project. 81 tracks (some Trent speaking tracks missing from this), 7 hours of music cut down to 14 minutes. A taste of what’s coming. Enjoy!
    Wow, that's impressive just the way you put this sampler together. It's cool all on its own.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acetboy View Post
    Wow, that's impressive just the way you put this sampler together. It's cool all on its own.
    Thanx, i was originally planning on it being a quick copy paste job but it turned into something completely different.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Looking forward to this!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    "Branches/Bones" from Ed Davis' recording of the 12/12 show is fucking fantastic. I think it's the best version of the song.

EDIT: "Less Than" from the same recording is also really good.
    Last edited by klyrish; 01-17-2019 at 09:18 PM.