Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 220

Thread: Bird Box

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern England
    Posts
    822
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The score has already been heard by more than 45 million people in context of the movie, if Netflix's figures are to be believed. Memes based on the movie are incredibly popular around social media. The producers are likely doing an awards season push, on the basis of all that buzz. Bird Box is having A Moment. If this isn't the opportunity to offer a deluxe physical box set, I'd say there's unlikely to ever be anything from NIN on a deluxe physical box set ever again.
    Can't see this getting Oscar/Golden Globe recognition tbh. The film, I mean. Maybe in technical areas, but not the main ones, best film/actor/actress/director etc...

    Back on the soundtrack, at 4.10 on And It Keeps (on) Coming, is that the first time they've used (presumably) Trent's snoring on a song...

    Nicely varied work here, possibly the most sinister sounding of all the soundtracks to date. And that's saying something.

    Close Encounters, growing love for that track....
    Last edited by simonn; 01-03-2019 at 12:03 PM.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Can't see this getting Oscar/Golden Globe recognition tbh. The film, I mean. Maybe in technical areas, but not the main ones, best film/actor/actress/director etc...
    Golden Globe nominations already happened. Netflix gave Bird Box a limited theatrical run so it could be in the running, but they're piling all their award season energy on Roma, anyway, so I doubt they're pushing much for Bird Box.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern England
    Posts
    822
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Golden Globe nominations already happened. Netflix gave Bird Box a limited theatrical run so it could be in the running, but they're piling all their award season energy on Roma, anyway, so I doubt they're pushing much for Bird Box.
    What do I know, I'm a Brit!!

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Can't see this getting Oscar/Golden Globe recognition tbh. The film, I mean. Maybe in technical areas, but not the main ones, best film/actor/actress/director etc...
    Even if it isn't awarded anything, being nominated at least for one Academy Award will continue to extend the movie's profile, what with famous actors involved walking the red carpet etc. etc. Keep in mind, there are a bunch of people who don't pay attention to social media or Netflix, so as long as they get into a couple of those big mainstream awards events, even without cleaning up, it will be a big deal.

    The movie has already been so successful, but this could also help with continuing to bring it to more international markets and more theatres on the basis of nominations/additional recognition. My point is that, regardless of how you like the movie or the score, this is an enormous opportunity for TR & AR's work to get in front of more people, and a deluxe score box set would fit right into that plan. If it doesn't happen, I don't foresee another opportunity like this for their work (either as NIN, or under their own names) to do the same.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    My point is that, regardless of how you like the movie or the score, this is an enormous opportunity for TR & AR's work to get in front of more people, and a deluxe score box set would fit right into that plan.
    Hang on, we don't want them to get too in demand as composers. We want score work to be what they do on their off-time from NIN - not the other way around!

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    no CD
    super deluxe bs box to get the full score
    i don't know...

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Again, we don't know yet that there won't be a CD, so chill. People freaked out when there was initially no CD version announced for the last three NIN records, and then there were CDs of all three easily available soon after.

    And this so-called Abridged version is already more than the 'full score' as it is in the movie, unless there's something in it I missed. They just went overboard again (like with Dragon Tattoo) composing far more than was eventually used by the filmmakers.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    still no download link received :-( and i ordered the flac imatly after the page released the info
    Last edited by Howtostealajetfighter; 01-03-2019 at 02:16 PM.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    1,335
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    and a deluxe score box set would fit right into that plan. If it doesn't happen, I don't foresee another opportunity like this for their work (either as NIN, or under their own names) to do the same.
    Don't agree with this. Dragon Tattoo got a huge boxset and was a theatrical failure. Ghosts was not the biggest NIN hit...probably far from it...yet we had 2-3 different box sets for that album so I don't necessarily agree with the argument that THIS is the time to release a box set or the alternative argument that there will never be another opportunity for a NIN related box if this isn't it...This is just silly.

    And no one will be talking about the film in 4-5 months honestly. That is not our society today.

    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The score has already been heard by more than 45 million people in context of the movie
    And out of those 45 million...how many listen to film scores, purchase film scores, or purchase deluxe film scores and probably double dipping on a score 5 months after the release of a film. Most are here on this board. Netflix wont be releasing the boxset. TR and Co. will so this wont be a huge release for Netflix to make a profit on.

    So, given the past with Patriots Day vinyl in limbo and the Tension Blu-ray which was teased as a "upcoming expanded release in the Spring" never happened, I am just not holding out on this.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    349
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    So, given the past with Patriots Day vinyl in limbo and the Tension Blu-ray which was teased as a "upcoming expanded release in the Spring" never happened, I am just not holding out on this.
    Don't forget that physical release of the Gone Girl Outtakes...

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Don't agree with this. Dragon Tattoo got a huge boxset and was a theatrical failure.
    *drift*

    TGWTDT was not a theatrical failure. Media projected it higher and MGM wished it made 10% more, but calling it a theatrical failure is incorrect.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gi...lm)#Box_office

    Critics gave the film favorable reviews, praising its bleak tone and lauding Craig and Mara's performances. With a production budget of $90 million the film grossed $232.6 million worldwide. The film was chosen by National Board of Review as one of the top ten films of 2011 and was a candidate for numerous awards, winning, among others, the Academy Award for Best Film Editing, while Mara's performance earned her an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress.
    Fincher's film grossed $232.6 million during its theatrical run. The film's American release grossed $1.6 million from its Tuesday night screenings, a figure that increased to $3.5 million by the end of its first day of general release. It maintained momentum into its opening weekend, accumulating $13 million for a total of $21 million in domestic revenue. The film's debut figures fell below media expectations. Aided by positive word of mouth, its commercial performance remained steady into the second week, posting $19 million from 2,914 theaters. The third week saw box office drop 24% to $11.3 million, totaling $76.8 million. The number of theaters slightly increased to 2,950. By the fifth week, the number of theaters shrank to 1,907, and grosses to $3.7 million, though it remained within the national top ten. The film completed its North American theatrical run on March 22, 2012, earning over $102.5 million.
    *end drift*

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Dragon Tattoo got a huge boxset and was a theatrical failure. Ghosts was not the biggest NIN hit...probably far from it...yet we had 2-3 different box sets for that album so I don't necessarily agree with the argument that THIS is the time to release a box set or the alternative argument that there will never be another opportunity for a NIN related box if this isn't it...This is just silly.
    The big Dragon Tattoo set was possible because they were partnered with Columbia/Sony (who also released the film): a big, multinational corporation, with the massive budgets required for art design and production on a box set. They're an independent entity now, and it's much harder to justify those big budgets. After partnering with Capitol Records for the 3-record NIN deal, I believe they are once again free agents... TR & AR will likely continue doing short-term distribution deals for their scores. We'll see what happens with this one, but given the amount of exposure the film has right now I'd say there are probably lots of companies lining up to cash in on the Bird Box phenomenon and that means they can pick and choose who to partner with. This thing is just about at the current-day limit of cultural saturation, as you rightly point out, so now is the time to release something big-ticket while the iron is hot.

    It was a different era (hard to believe it was almost 11 years ago...) but Ghosts I-IV really came at the crest of a wave for the new possibilities promised by open-source interactivity. They had just finished tapping into that very powerfully with the Year Zero online experience. It was probably the last Big Moment for NIN as a worldwide phenomenon. Again, a perfect time for a boxed set and the $300 version sold out very quickly, as I recall, even without a big-name distributor handling it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    And out of those 45 million...how many listen to film scores, purchase film scores, or purchase deluxe film scores and probably double dipping on a score 5 months after the release of a film. Most are here on this board. Netflix wont be releasing the boxset. TR and Co. will so this wont be a huge release for Netflix to make a profit on.
    Again, we'll see; this is likely the purview of ongoing contract negotiations, so we don't know if that's the case or not. Maybe they're trying to gauge excitement before going ahead, but it sounds like TR has learned his lesson about announcing things before they're actually happening (though NIN parted ways with their old manager right before Tension on Blu-ray would have gone into production, which probably had something to do with its cancellation). Netflix gave them a bunch of money to produce the music, and it seems like now they can do whatever they please with it... which is kind of the best possible outcome to be in, as an artist.
    Last edited by botley; 01-03-2019 at 05:19 PM.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,874
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Not a fan of Tarantino movies, I presume?
    Actually, I'm a fan of him and of non-linear storytelling in general. However, most of the films I enjoy that utilize non-linear storytelling have a better grasp on their structure than Bird Box seemed to have. It was almost disorienting how much it jumped around.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    LIC, NY
    Posts
    872
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,271
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    i don't understand the people i've seen complaining that the score is too "in the background" or not prominent enough. maybe it's mixed differently in stereo or people are listening on shitty laptop speakers or something (not being condescending, i promise), but in 5.1 i felt like it was nearly wall to wall with score.

    i thoroughly enjoyed the movie (not sure why people are complaining so much about the ending, i thought it was fantastic) and loved the score. there was some repeating motif in some of the more dissonant music that sounded like the main synth line from Black Antlers by COIL:


  16. #136
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    1,335
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    *drift*

    TGWTDT was not a theatrical failure. Media projected it higher and MGM wished it made 10% more, but calling it a theatrical failure is incorrect.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gi...lm)#Box_office





    *end drift*
    Fair. Well played sir. I retract my statement "failure". I should've said, TGWTDT was not as publicly recognized or...social media present with memes etc...as Bird Box.

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i don't understand the people i've seen complaining that the score is too "in the background" or not prominent enough. maybe it's mixed differently in stereo or people are listening on shitty laptop speakers or something (not being condescending, i promise), but in 5.1 i felt like it was nearly wall to wall with score.
    Most are indeed watching it that way, worry about it. One of the reasons a netflix release is kind of shitty. For example, I dread having to watch Roma on a computer screen instead of the big screen. But hey, at least the movies are made.

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    1,925
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    My store account has been deleted yet again. It'd have been nice to have all my purchases in one place, but it's more like one account per purchase. Crazy

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    I dread having to watch Roma on a computer screen instead of the big screen. But hey, at least the movies are made.
    You don't have any kind of home theater setup? Netflix is synonymous with all viewing platforms these days, not just computers.

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    You don't have any kind of home theater setup? Netflix is synonymous with all viewing platforms these days, not just computers.
    Nope, no money for that :p

    Surprisingly still cheaper to have a subscription to a certain big theatre chain than buying elements for a decent setup of this kind. And the difference in quality is.. large.

  21. #141
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    dutch mountains
    Posts
    1,670
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    The movie isn't decisive to me as I said somewhere else...
    The soundtrack: everything Trent touches is special, but the sound becomes more and more in a repeat-modus. Nothing new at the horizon...
    Last edited by witte; 01-05-2019 at 05:52 AM.

  22. #142
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    997
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Did the mp3 version get fixed yet, or is it still downloading at 128kbps? I can convert the hi-res myself if i need to, but i was kinda hoping to avoid it.

  23. #143
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Well that was a tense synth-fest. Can't wait for the extended version.

  24. #144
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bayonne Leave It Alone
    Posts
    3,573
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    drip drip drip...at least on the private tracker I use.

  25. #145
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    drip drip drip...at least on the private tracker I use.
    mp3s on a public one btw. had somewhat the decency to not put the FLACs I suppose.

  26. #146
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bayonne Leave It Alone
    Posts
    3,573
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    mp3s on a public one btw. had somewhat the decency to not put the FLACs I suppose.
    i saw the FLAC's

  27. #147
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Did the mp3 version get fixed yet, or is it still downloading at 128kbps? I can convert the hi-res myself if i need to, but i was kinda hoping to avoid it.
    I've just heard back from NIN customer service. They said simply:

    Thank you for emailing in! We do have WAV and FLAC formats if you would like any of these downloads.

    We look forward to your response!


    I asked for WAV files.

  28. #148
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,605
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Bird Box is up on streaming services now and I think it's safe to say at this point that "And it Keeps on Coming" is the correct title (not "And it Keeps Coming").

  29. #149
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    997
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROFLRICK View Post
    I've just heard back from NIN customer service. They said simply:

    Thank you for emailing in! We do have WAV and FLAC formats if you would like any of these downloads.

    We look forward to your response!


    I asked for WAV files.
    So basically if you wanted mp3s, they gave you shitty ones on purpose, sounds like. Oh well. I mean, it's only a minor hassle to convert the wavs myself, so i can't really complain, just hoped to eliminate a step or two. Anyway, thanks for the response.

  30. #150
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,010
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I "like" this but Trent's piano playing is starting to sound a little old and familiar. the beginning of Sleep Deprivation especially... isn't that something from Still?

    It must be a muscle memory for him to play like this. I wish he and Atticus would make a score using just horns or something. Get outta ya comfort zone fellas.

Posting Permissions