Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Bird Box (2019)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    I "like" this but Trent's piano playing is starting to sound a little old and familiar. the beginning of Sleep Deprivation especially... isn't that something from Still?

It must be a muscle memory for him to play like this. I wish he and Atticus would make a score using just horns or something. Get outta ya comfort zone fellas.
    may i direct you to the best thing @reznovka has ever contributed to the board?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Careful What You Wish For is terrifying. I kinda wonder how the reaction to this album would have been different if it weren’t the score to a Netflix sensation by TRAR, but some sort of anonymous mysterious Dark Ambient/Noise album released on Sacred Bones or Tri Angle or anything more obscure. Because the music is often just as unnerving and out there as some of those stuff but the context makes a lot of difference

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I haven't even finished listening to 'Outside' and I kind of want to stop. I feel like something bad is going to happen to me; maybe the world.

Starting at the 7:00 mark of 'Outside' it makes me feel like the ground cracked open and the devil himself reached his fucking arm through just to drag me in.

I can't help but wonder if this story 'Birdbox' is a good match for Nine Inch Nails. The idea of someone, or everyone for that matter, trying to keep an unwanted force out of their mind. They can run, patch up holes on the walls, keep their eyes closed, try to face it, build a wall... but the demon (seed) is strong.

I'm not good at writing out my thoughts, I hope that makes sense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    So basically if you wanted mp3s, they gave you shitty ones on purpose, sounds like. Oh well. I mean, it's only a minor hassle to convert the wavs myself, so i can't really complain, just hoped to eliminate a step or two. Anyway, thanks for the response.
    Of course! Yeah, it seems as if 128kbps is the standard release for the MP3 version, which, frankly, is fine. I'm pleased with their response, but I have no idea how to easily convert the hi-res WAV using a PC. Normally, I would use XLD on a Mac, but my Mac is long dead. Do you have any suggestions?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I haven't seen the movie yet. I've enjoyed listening to this soundtrack. It felt like it told a story on its own.

Since I'm not a soundtrack enthusiast, I haven't had much interest in previous works as much as I would have loved to since TGWTDT. I do love certain pieces like Empty Places, Before the Flood, Less Likely and Them and Us. But overall I can't remember much.

How would you say this one fares compared to the others?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROFLRICK View Post
    Of course! Yeah, it seems as if 128kbps is the standard release for the MP3 version, which, frankly, is fine. I'm pleased with their response, but I have no idea how to easily convert the hi-res WAV using a PC. Normally, I would use XLD on a Mac, but my Mac is long dead. Do you have any suggestions?
    I was using Freemake til they went with a subscription model, so, nowadays i use a cracked version of EZ CD Audio Converter. It does the job and has plenty of filetypes built in for whatever i need to convert to/from.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    You're looking to convert the hi-res files to another format on PC? Get Foobar 2000, it's free and you can easily convert any file to whatever you want. It's what I use.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROFLRICK View Post
    dBpoweramp

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Not sure whether this has been spelled out yet: I'm assuming the mp3s are 16 bit (128k for 24 bit would be pretty unusual) but (at least) the FLACs are 24 bit. Downsampling is a lossy process (and the quality of the down sampler matters) so I didn't bother and have instead generated 24 bit mp3s. I believe the down sampler in dbpoweramp is well regarded.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I just want the super duper deluxe 'I spent way too much money but no regrets' set to come out already!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Don't completely agree with them, but entertaining and good food for thought as always. No mention of the score unfortunately.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Don't completely agree with them, but entertaining and good food for thought as always. No mention of the score unfortunately.

I completely agree with this review. A lot of things they pointed out were on my girl and I's minds when watching this. The movie was okay, a solid 5, maybe 6 out of 10. That's about it. But yeah, it's a bit of a mess.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

“HALF IN THE BAG. Fuck movies...” Love these guys.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I... don't.

Moving along, the abridged score is now on Tidal! Yay!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Been digesting this for the last few weeks in Spotify (will get it on payday, i MASSIVELY overspent over the holidays and got stung by some pretty heavy impost tax's on my new bag and some models) and i really dig this...like REALLY dig this...to the point it's started motivating me to draw again, Tracks like Undercurrent, And It Keeps On Coming, Close Encounters and Last Thing Left are really getting my imagination running! Damn good stuff!

On another note i'd love if there is some more extended version of Close Encounters with just that beautiful first half!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I too have been digesting this for a while now.

I'm always eager to see what TR/AR will come up with next. This soundtrack has made its mark and has a theme of it's own.

I code all day, so I spend 5-6 hrs a day listening to spotify and a lot of that time is spent listening to scores/soundtracks from many various artists.

TR/AR have a sound of their own, a fear of mine was that they would get stuck with a re-occuring sound; piano with some synth and garden; like I mean mid90s was pretty damn simple.

Bird Box is unique from their previous releases, I hear many new sounds and styles that I have not heard before.

I'm a huge fucking fan of Outside. The piano kind of carries and pushes you through the song, starting off on its own it slowly takes us deeper into hell.

Great job!

P.S. Stranger Things has a great team already, but I'd love to see TR/AR get in on some of the background scores.
    Last edited by snaapz; 01-14-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i have been listening to this score a lot and i like it more each time. i love long pieces of music and there's so much movement within all the long songs, it makes me happy. also there's a ton of e-bow guitar and gosh does it make me feel cool hearing TR&AR use it, knowing how much of it i've used in my music over the years.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    https://www.asoundeffect.com/bird-box-sound/

Interview with the film's sound designers which contains a reference to the TR&AR score. Warning: contains spoilers.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    The ambience of "Undercurrents" is quite powerful! It greatly enhanced the scene it was in; that feeling of dread, desperation and chaos that was in the air.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    Careful What You Wish For is terrifying.
    I first listened to the soundtrack at home when the online release came out. This stuck out to me and latched onto my eardrums and brain. I flew out to Philly a few weeks ago and read two books on the planes - The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi and Vicious by VE Schwab. I remember the exact moments in each book I heard this song played against. In Philly, I finally went to the Mutter Museum and kept humming certain cues from this song because I kept hearing it in my head since it matched the scenery. Finally, I watched Bird Box with my girlfriend yesterday instead of the Super Bowl and got to experience the moments in the film this song plays against.

When I went to bed, I kept hearing the ambient noise in the background as my dog snored and the fan blew.

I didn't close my eyes for 20 minutes.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Thought this three dimensional billboard in Times Square was pretty badass. The three figures, the birds, the rocks and the title letters for BIRD BOX are all separate and built out from the sign itself. Saw it a few weeks ago...dunno if it's still up.

Last edited by bobbie solo; 02-11-2019 at 02:28 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thought this three dimensional billboard in Times Square was pretty badass. The three figures, the birds, the rocks and the title letters for BIRD BOX are all separate and built out from the sign itself. Saw it a few weeks ago...dunno if it's still up.
    Yep, literally just walked by it. Pretty sure there were some actual birds perched among the fakes too!

If anyone is curious, it’s at 49th and Broadway while it lasts...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Soundtrack is great as usual...

The Movie is "Meh", not bad, but nothing great either. It's full of cliches and doesn't really bring anything new to the table, didn't hate it, but i didn't found it special either.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Finally: some exciting news!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    You know that's satire, right?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    I'm familiar with The Beaverton, which is why I posted it, thanks for spoiling the fun for other people though.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    The joke.

Your head.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just to confirm...we are ALL in agreement that Undercurrents should be the intro/staging music on the next NIN tour right?

And I mean the whole thing...not a truncated version. Drop the house lights and BOOM...all 4 mins of that sumbitch in the dark...(insert your favorite NIN live opener).
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 02-21-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Hrmm, I didn't realize Netflix had a record label.