Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Bird Box (2019)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Any ideas why neither BB Extended nor W.vol.3 are on streaming platforms?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Any ideas why neither BB Extended nor W.vol.3 are on streaming platforms?
    No idea about BB Extended, but Watchmen vol. 3 is definitely on streaming platforms.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    No idea about BB Extended, but Watchmen vol. 3 is definitely on streaming platforms.
    this is Deezer
    albums under "Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross":

albums under "Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross":

how does one find vol. 3?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    this is Deezer
    I don't use Deezer. But it's definitely on Apple Music, Spotify, and Amazon Music. I haven't checked anything other than those.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    this is Deezer
    albums under "Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross":

albums under "Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross":

how does one find vol. 3?
    I asked Deezer support a month ago, they said the publisher never delivered or something. I hate that I can’t listen to it on the fly now.

it would be nice to be able to say fuck you to Spotify and the streaming services of the large brands like Apple and Amazon, but if the labels don’t allow Deezer to host their stuff..

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Looks like a film adaptation of "Malorie" (sequel to "Bird Box") is in the works. Since TR/AR probably aren't scoring it...I don't know why I'm posting this.

Have a great day.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I liked the movie shrug

I need to try and remember to listen to this once in a while

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I liked the movie shrug

I need to try and remember to listen to this once in a while
    i liked it a whole lot more than A Quiet Place

i can believe that people adapted to wearing blindfolds and making their way around; blind people exist and thrive.
    i CANNOT believe that an entire family with small children went for years with no one ever crying/farting/sneezing/coughing loud enough to attract the attention of those creatures.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Neither film really lived up to their potential in my opinion. I found A Quiet Place to be a slog and Bird Box only slightly less so. I give Bird Box the edge over A Quiet Place because of the Trent/Atticus score and a couple effective scenes, but that's about it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    In the recent DP/30 interview, Trent talks of a project where they felt ‘are we the only ones who care about this film?’. I wonder if this was the one as they put so much effort into the vinyl packaging, seems like they cared for it but then found the end result wasn’t up to snuff

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    In the recent DP/30 interview, Trent talks of a project where they felt ‘are we the only ones who care about this film?’. I wonder if this was the one as they put so much effort into the vinyl packaging, seems like they cared for it but then found the end result wasn’t up to snuff
    Could be this, or it could easily be Patriots Day or Woman in the Window.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Trent mentioned in the Revolver interview they did last year that Bird Box was a disappointment for them. From his comments, it seems like the film was pitched to them as something that was more nuanced than it ended up being:

"We were sold a bill of goods that it was a psychological thriller and the director had a pedigree that was somewhat impressive. And when we got immersed in it, it felt like some people were phoning it in. And you're stuck with a film editor who had real bad taste. That's kind of our barricade to getting stuff in the film. And the final icing on the shit cake was we were on tour when they mixed it. And they mixed the music so low, you couldn't hear it anyway. So it was like, that was a [laughs]...that was a fucking waste of time. Then we thought, No one's going to see this fucking movie. And, of course, it's the hugest movie ever on Netflix."
    Last edited by BRoswell; 08-27-2020 at 01:49 AM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Is this meme dead yet? I don't care:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just got the vinyl of Bird Box. It doesn’t warrant the $80 price tag, IMO. Four LPs, eight sides. Not one side is full. A couple or so sides are barely half full.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billybrah View Post
    I just got the vinyl of Bird Box. It doesn’t warrant the $80 price tag, IMO. Four LPs, eight sides. Not one side is full. A couple or so sides are barely half full.

Um, that's not how vinyl works?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Um, that's not how vinyl works?
    Yes it is. Each side of a vinyl record holds 22 minutes of audio. You can CLEARLY see the blank/wasted space on these "Bird Box" records because no side has anywhere near 22 mins. of music. This should have been 3 LPs for $60. "Deviations" doesn't have all that wasted space and is definitely worth the $80. "Bird Box" isn't. Again, IMO.
    Last edited by billybrah; 04-09-2021 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    You paid $80 for 2 hours and 7 minutes of runtime. Are you suggesting they split tracks across two sides to "fill" albums? Or just toss in some filler to make a neat and tidy 22 minutes per side?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Each side of a vinyl record holds 22 minutes of audio. You can CLEARLY see the blank/wasted space on these "Bird Box" records because no side has near 22 mins. of music. This should have been 3 LPs for $60. "Deviations" doesn't have all that wasted space and is definitely worth the $80. "Bird Box" isn't.
    It's not a linear cap at 22 minutes, though, that's just a general guideline for pop albums. This is a different kind of music, and the record lathes that cut audio into the grooves can sometimes behave differently, depending on the content. The cutting engineer can also choose to mostly avoid the inner part of the disc, instead of going all the way towards the label, so they avoid inner groove distortion that will compromise playback. With all this in mind, this album's 13–20 minutes per side is not 'barely half full'. Side 7 is a little bit shorter than that, granted, but it's also one of the more bass-heavy and dynamic sides with "Contagion B" and "Contagion C" both book-ending the quiet piano on "Last Thing Left"... perhaps they wanted to leave some more breathing room there. Conceptually, it's also a bummer to try and fill each side up with an exact amount of time when this release is by design sprawling and 'self-indulgent'. There was more music on Deviations 1, sure, but also far less lavish packaging (as I'm sure we all remember), so between the two... in terms of value-for-money, I think it's a draw.
    Last edited by botley; 04-09-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    You paid $80 for 2 hours and 7 minutes of runtime. Are you suggesting they split tracks across two sides to "fill" albums? Or just toss in some filler to make a neat and tidy 22 minutes per side?
    2 hours fits on 3 LPs. I wish they would have found a way to do it like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's not a linear cap at 22 minutes, though, that's just a general guideline for pop albums. This is a different kind of music, and the record lathes that cut audio into the grooves can sometimes behave differently, depending on the content. The cutting engineer can also choose to mostly avoid the inner part of the disc, instead of going all the way towards the label, so they avoid inner groove distortion that will compromise playback. With all this in mind, this album's 13–20 minutes per side is not 'barely half full'. Side 7 is a little bit shorter than that, granted, but it's also one of the more bass-heavy and dynamic sides with "Contagion B" and "Contagion C" both book-ending the quiet piano on "Last Thing Left"... perhaps they wanted to leave some more breathing room there. Conceptually, it's also a bummer to try and fill each side up with an exact amount of time when this release is by design sprawling and 'self-indulgent'. There was more music on Deviations 1, sure, but also far less lavish packaging (as I'm sure we all remember), so between the two... in terms of value-for-money, I think it's a draw.
    Yeah, it kinda is. I didn't mind the minimal packaging of "Deviations," it's the music I'm after. Vinyl's great, but it's not always the best choice for the $$. But, when what you want is only available in vinyl, you have to gamble, like I did here. It's all good though. I might sell it. Interested?
    Last edited by billybrah; 04-09-2021 at 02:08 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    2 hours fits on 3 LPs. I wish they would have found a way to do it like that.
    OK so on your version track 3 starts on side A...flip...ends on side B.

Edit: the other option is drawing straws to decide who goes back to TR/AR asking if they'd like to rearrange the track order or lop off some minutes from this track or that track to "fill the sides". Good luck with that.
    Last edited by cdm; 04-09-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    OK so on your version track 3 starts on side A...flip...ends on side B.
    Do you want to have the last word here? Take it. I said what I came here to say. Have good weekend.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I think they mixed the music so low because the score was so pants-shittingly-scary they didn't want it upstaging the visuals. Still my favorite work of theirs.
    Last edited by Reaps; 04-09-2021 at 05:47 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    I think they mixed the music so low because the soundtrack was so pants-shittingly-scary they didn't want it upstaging the visuals. Still my favorite work of theirs.
    It is an incredible score, in my opinion. And well worth the asking price. The artwork is lavish, keeping in theme with the film, and unique. The score is a favourite of mine in Trent’s entire body of work, let alone just considering the scores (of which only TGWTDT betters it). It’s a joy to me.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Random question -- has anyone been able to find a sleeve that fits around this vinyl box set? I use the box set sleeves from Sleeve City and unfortunately they do not fit here (nor on my Mogwai 'Every Country's Sun' set).

Any leads is greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Random question -- has anyone been able to find a sleeve that fits around this vinyl box set? I use the box set sleeves from Sleeve City and unfortunately they do not fit here (nor on my Mogwai 'Every Country's Sun' set).

Any leads is greatly appreciated.
    I haven't personally looked for one that fits this boxset but this was the video I got pointed to when looking for something like this in the past:

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I got my Bird Box out to play today for the first time in a while and it's pretty pungeant. I'm not even sure whether it's the "easter egg" that's the cause of the smell. How are yours smelling?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I got my Bird Box out to play today for the first time in a while and it's pretty pungeant. I'm not even sure whether it's the "easter egg" that's the cause of the smell. How are yours smelling?
    'Orrid. Actually, some of the 'gas' smell has dissipated a little but it's still potent.
    Last edited by botley; 01-27-2022 at 09:23 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    'Orrid. Actually, some of the 'gas' smell has dissipated a little but it's still potent.
    I forgot that it was scented! I wondered if it was the feathers rotting. I'm finally bagging them up. Still not even sure they're not synthetic. The blood stains haven't faded or browned. Mind you I've had the box closed for a year or more.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Haven't opened it since my first listen when it arrived. Too scared. Going to let it marinate another year or so.