Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2018.10.27 Chicago, IL @ Aragon Ballroom

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2018.10.27 Chicago, IL @ Aragon Ballroom

Chicago 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Amazing show. Trent never disappoints. For what it's worth, I liked Friday song selection better. Still an amazing show.
    Last edited by Brian Smith; 10-28-2018 at 09:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saturday < Thursday < Friday

Tonight just had fewer surprises, and the impossible task of coming on the heels of the previous two.

I enjoy Even Deeper live, but the encore needed something more.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    This tour has probably been the best tour I’ve had the pleasure of seeing my entire life, and tonight was icing on the cake. A couple little videos and more postage to follow. I hope everyone had as awesome a time as I did. A few songs were missing that would’ve made it a perfect set list for me, but after Red Rocks and the first two nights, I think I’ve just about heard everything I’ve wanted to from this tour. The atmosphere and the energy were through the roof tonight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Subterranean!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Right before the show started, I prayed to our Red Robed Savior to open with Now I'm Nothing. So... you're all welcome.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Holy fuck this show was awesome. So many deep, deep cuts that I was genuinely surprised to hear. My uncle and I collectively lost our shit when Last began, it was hilarious. The Perfect Drug was so freaking fun and crazy, all of the PHM songs were hits (Now I'm Nothing into Terrible Lie, Sanctified, Sin, Head Like A Hole) as well as Fragile deep cuts (Starfuckers, The Big Come Down, Even Deeper). And I don't think I've ever felt music hit me so fucking hard as Hurt did at the end. Even though I was at Riot Fest last year and heard it, this time it really just cut through me and I was in tears by the end - joy and sadness and ecstasy etc). These guys always bring it and it's nights like these that remind of how magical and powerful music and NIN in general is.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    Right before the show started, I prayed to our Red Robed Savior to open with Now I'm Nothing. So... you're all welcome.
    I can very for the full accuracy to this as I was there when the prayer was placed. Thank you for your efforts good sir, I’m glad they paid off!

Long live the Red-Robed Savior!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LexTron6K View Post
    I can very for the full accuracy to this as I was there when the prayer was placed. Thank you for your efforts good sir, I’m glad they paid off!

Long live the Red-Robed Savior!
    Yo! Was nice meeting you! And everyone else I talked to!
    PS HAY if anyone happens to have a spare Saturday ticket they didn't use or don't want, please message me! Mine somehow managed to escape my pocket tonight *crying emoji*

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I had a feeling we'd get the Now I'm Nothing/Terrible Lie intro tonight (at least I hoped we would) and it was amazing! But then they followed it up with Last – a personal favorite that I'd never seen before – and that was just the icing on the cake for me. When Trent started talking about Bowie and mentioned they'd play two songs: one from Blackstar (I Can't Give Everything Away) and another he "had the pleasure of playing with him," I assumed we were about to see I'm Afraid of Americans, and since I don't really know the song Subterraneans, I was a bit confused for a little while. I am very happy I got to see a couple of the Bad Witch songs (and those were the two I wanted to see most), but what REALLY made my night/weekend/month was finally seeing The Perfect Drug. I lost my shit! Ilan fucking CRUSHED that drum breakdown. I loved every damn second and I was drenched in sweat and exhausted by the end. What a weekend!
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 10-28-2018 at 01:32 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    He definitely sang some Bad Witch songs during Subterraneans and made me think it was a reworked, "I'm Not From This World."

EDIT: really would have loved to hear Digital...that is my sole complaint from The two Red Rocks shows and today's and Thursday's Aragon shows.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    When TR said they were gonna play two Bowie songs and one was I can’t give everything away, I automatically supposed that the next song was gonna be I’m afraid of Americans. But nope.

For those who don’t know, Subterraneans wad played as a preshow song for pretty much all the European shows last summer. I thought that it was a silent tribute to the tour they did with Bowie. I also thought that the piano part was eerily similar to some of the NIN melodies from TF and for some reason I thought there was a connection between Over and out and Subterraneans. And after tonight, when the song was played along with some lyrics from Bad Witch and ended with The Frail, I might have to relisten to Bad Witch keeping Bowie in mind.

It was a sick show. I was wondering how you could ever top the Friday show, but they fucking did it.
    I had a blast at these 3 nights, it was well worth coming all the way from Berlin. I’ll post more tomorrow or in the coming days, now I’ need to get some sleep.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i spent 12 hours in line in an alley next to aragon over the last 3 days but it was worth being front and center for the 3 most amazing shows i have ever witnessed. i met some pretty great people while waiting in line, and am very grateful for this weekend. thank you very much to Wolfkiller for the tickets, i wish i could have met you to thank you in person. i am glad i got to meet some of you this weekend and i cant wait to do it again in 2019....right?!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I had a great week. I'm glad I got to share it with so many great people. Thanks!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    They were really hosing us down near the rail/pit, weren't they...no complaints! Absolutely loved it. Subterraneans, getting to see TPD and Sin again, Even Deeper, LAST!

I honestly forgot that it was Halloween weekend until I walked out onto Lawrence. I did see some people in costume/face paint in the crowd, but at the time I was just kind of like "damn, guess some folks are going hard tonight."

Thanks again to all the kind folks in my vicinity, sharing trail mix and gum, whoever high-fived me with "LEFT SIDE!", and all. Don't know what right barricade needed a pen several times for, but I hope it worked ok for you?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    A little video from where I was of TPD. I've been more hesitant to shoot whole concert videos lately, but I figured seeing TPD THREE TIMES now, it couldn't hurt to get a few minutes on video. Now for the long road back...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endlessly View Post
    Thanks again to all the kind folks in my vicinity, sharing trail mix and gum, whoever high-fived me with "LEFT SIDE!", and all. Don't know what right barricade needed a pen several times for, but I hope it worked ok for you?
    LEFT SIDE! Thanks for returning over to our side Saturday and adding to the group of wonderful people over on the LEFT SIDE!

Did you see that vomit incident over on the right side across from us? That could’ve been right on top of any of us had we chosen the wrong side. . .

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    The night before, I was sitting outside in a chair with a blanket over my head. At about 5:00 in the morning, a stranger walked down the alley and since I was the first person in the line at that time, they fucking grabbed and shook me to ask me for money. When I told them to fuck off and not touch people, they just continued on down the line. I'm pretty sure they grabbed at least one other person, too. I said to leave them alone because they were sleeping and the person just kept going. Then, out of nowhere, a security guard from that bar that is across that lot appeared out of nowhere and made them leave. What a fucking angel.

This then entirely fucked me up mentally for the rest of the day. I did not get any sleep at all and was using all of my effort to avoid having a full panic attack. I know this shit sounds absurd to folks, but I have some weird things with strangers grabbing me, admittedly. At a concert I am perfrctly fine because people are, generally, not intentionally touching and grabbing you. I think this was all compounded by lack of sleep. The night before, I only got about 2.5 hours, and Wednesday night about 1.5. So I was probably halfway to a breakdown before this even happened. Lol.

Anyway, I went down to the pit hoping that luck would be in my favor after camping out for three nights and I would end up in the middle of people I knew. It did not work out that way. There were people I knew in front and to my right. But then strangers. I was hoping this would be enough and I could power through. But no. Had to get out after the first opener. I was literally just standing there shaking. So then I talked to some Aragon people, explained to them what happened, and they were kind enough to give me a bracelet to go upstairs.

So thankful that the Aragon folks were willing to let me do that, as they could have told me tough shit you're at a GA show, which is 100% the response I was anticipating, but didn't want to leave before asking. It was actually kind of neat to see a show from that perspective. You see and hear a lot of things that you don't get up front.

Though I am kind of happy that I was up in the balcony for what was, for me, my least favorite (but still great!) setlist of the three shows.

Outside of this, I had a great time. Met some new folks. Reconnected with many others, and like always, I just love seeing the bond that exists between the huge fans of this band. It has brought some wonderful people into my life from so many different places in the world. The goodbyes are awful because who knows when we will see each other again?

Hopefully... Soon.

<3
    Last edited by Sarah K; 10-28-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    that subterraneans/the frail/god break down the door/over and out mashup was...absolutely incredible. i feel so fortunate that i got to go to all three shows because every night had something unique to offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Should have planned an ETS meet-up at O'Hare for today. Would love to swap stories and share the excitement of the past few days. If only these thousands of strangers in the terminal knew why I am smiling incessantly...

Safe travels to all.

#tripleNINdy

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Great show last night. Crazy energy from the beginning with a softer more chill middle then back on the attack again before slowing the energy back down in the end.

I was thankful to be there and it was nice to see AOO and TPD for the first time, as well as old friends Sin and Even Deeper returning. The Bowie stuff was phenomenal too.

I’d like to also thank the Security at Aragon for being cool. They were handing out free water bottles and one of them even sprayed us with water late in the show, which was pretty relieving at that point.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    A little video from where I was of TPD. I've been more hesitant to shoot whole concert videos lately, but I figured seeing TPD THREE TIMES now, it couldn't hurt to get a few minutes on video. Now for the long road back...

I yelled, “Rock the fuck out of those drums, Ilan!” during the breakdown because I had to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wow. This had to be my favorite show of the year. I really wish I could've gone to all three nights, but tickets were too much. But the show was fucking amazing. Being my first NIN gig, I couldn't ask for a better show. Everything was great, the band sounded awesome, and the setlist was almost perfect. I do wish the encore had another song or we could've at least gotten another song from DWS, but man, they played just about every song I wanted to hear: Sin, Last, Gave Up, and Sanctified. My god, when they played Sanctified, I lost my shit. My favorite PHM song and I was hearing it live. And the David Bowie covers were wonderful. Absolutely amazing show.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    Wow. This had to be my favorite show of the year. I really wish I could've gone to all three nights, but tickets were too much. But the show was fucking amazing. Being my first NIN gig, I couldn't ask for a better show. Everything was great, the band sounded awesome, and the setlist was almost perfect. I do wish the encore had another song or we could've at least gotten another song from DWS, but man, they played just about every song I wanted to hear: Sin, Last, Gave Up, and Sanctified. My god, when they played Sanctified, I lost my shit. My favorite PHM song and I was hearing it live. And the David Bowie covers were wonderful. Absolutely amazing show.
    Not only that, but you got to see The Perfect Drug at your first NIN show, which is amazing (I lost my shit when that song started)! Glad you had a good time, man! It was my 9th NIN show and the only show that came close (aside from Friday's show) was Lights in the Sky. This tour is fucking phenomenal!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Not only that, but you got to see The Perfect Drug at your first NIN show, which is amazing (I lost my shit when that song started)! Glad you had a good time, man! It was my 9th NIN show and the only show that came close (aside from Friday's show) was Lights in the Sky. This tour is fucking phenomenal!
    Oh my god yeah! I forgot about that! I heard they debuted it earlier in the tour, but for some reason, I didn't think they would play it again. That was amazing. NIN 9 times? That fucking awesome! Yeah it seems like this tour is special and I'm glad I could be a part of it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    im at home watching youtube footage of AATCHB from the other night and sobbing. amazing weekend. so glad i was apart of it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    I never do this kind of thing but this weekend was so epic that I have to share.

A special thank you to @darkreverend for the Reckless Records slip mat and pizza and company and everything else. And a very very special thank you to @witte the Dutch treats, Nothing Records promo shirt, and NIN EU tour shirt. And a very special thank you to @Blackbookpress1984 for helping me get those event shirts so my selfish ass could run straight to Robin when the doors opened. Every time I hit these shows and play the line dance the family just grows and grows. It's insane how many NIN friends I have and I really do just love you all. I know this shit belongs in the list of luv but who're you talking to? I'm not gonna make two separate posts. I'm gonna get all of my rantings out right here and right now.

I had a blast with all of you. What a wonderful nincation with awesome shows and great company. So much crazy shit happened while we were camping at Aragon. Showed up at 2:30 pm Wednesday before and started the line for the first night. I got to sit and chat one on one with Trent's right hand stage guy who runs the handheld spotlight and sets up all of his stuff. I didn't catch his name but we talked about the tour and the dedication of the fans who meet up early to camp and line wait together and how it brings people together and basically become a family. He gave me a TR guitar pic and told me that we're making Trent proud. Another person came out the next day and since I was first in line and camped out he gave me a broken Ilan drum stick. Before the shows ended, I'd leave the rail and head to the back so I could secure my spot for the next day. 3 days in a row of rail time right in front of Robin is a dream come true.

Because we were able to drive we brought enough supplies to take care of a lot of people with food and blankets and chairs. I had friends there from 7 different countries and they, as well as others, don't have the luxury of coming prepared for camping. We spent 4 days camping in the Aragon parking lot and saw some crazy things from our homeless friend Surge (sorry you got punched in the face, even though you'll never read this) singing to us and dancing with us to the crazy lady who shows up 4 times a day to dump 25 pounds of rice every day to make sure those street rats (yes literally) are nice and fat and well fed. We named some of the rats. My favorite was Becky with the nice hair. That's right, you heard correctly. We did not leave the Aragon for 4 days except to shower and come back and lived with fucking rats.

We did a fat people NIN hot dog party with changing NIN lyrics to hot dog songs. The laughs we shared were tremendous and I greatly look forward to our next party in Vegas.
    We walked the lines once there were enough people and rained NIN condoms on the crowds.
    I added about 20 signatures to my ETS tour shirt including Drew and Damian and even the banned Hazekiah who wrote us all a nice love note. I'll post pics after the tour is over. I NEEEEEEED a @teitan signature on it and it's complete. Here's to dreaming and hoping.

I taped the first two shows for RITC but when we were on our way in on Saturday security messed up and let us in early. They made us go through again and gave us extra good pat downs because the bosses were watching. Unfortunately they found the recorder Ryan had sent me and took it. Luckily Alex found a good security guard and was able to retrieve it after the show. Close call and a very special thank you to @LexTron6K for sneaking it in the second night for me and recovering it after it was taken. There is a journal containing stories from all of the ninlive tapers and I'll get my entries filled in tomorrow.

The shows were absolutely amazing. This line up is fucking fire. Setlist surprises with songs that haven't been played in years and even a special one I never thought I'd hear. Tears to me eyes. I Can't Give Everything Away. I've seen this song performed quite a few times over the past year and it's always been great but this time I could feel the emotion that was put into it and it also brought me to tears. I know, I'm a sappy emotional fucker sometimes. Even when wearing a rainbow unicorn onesie and rocking on the rail. Caught my Robin water bottle. I've had the pleasure of meeting him on several occasions now and he knows he's my favorite, even over Trent (sorry bae you know I love you too). I swear when that man plays it's like he's playing just for me. Lots of eye contact and when he's tossing out those water bottles he tosses them straight to me looking me dead in the eyes. I'm up to 7 or 8 of them now.

The sense of community and bringing people together was very strong this weekend. I've been on a lot of NIN trips and this one is at the top of my list greatest of all time. I'm so very happy and grateful to get to share these experiences with such wonderful people. You could feel real genuine family love in every conversation.

A shout out to @DRanged691 for keeping those NINfamous_penis_stickers coming, happy to sport your stuff and have others do the same when you aren't there.

All the love in the world to:
    arsenic
    blackbookpress1984
    eversonpoe
    hellospaceboy
    kleiner
    LexTron6k
    ninrocksmysock
    nmitchell86
    ophelia
    Sarah K
    snichols
    witte
    Wolfkiller

zeegrizzle

Plus anyone else I had the pleasure of sharing this experience with. Sorry if I missed your username. Lots of non-ets users as well. Twins and French Marie and Flo, shoutout to you folks as well. You ladies are hardcore and probably have more line waiting for NIN experience than anyone I have ever met. I had a lot of fun rocking the rail with you.

---------------------------------------------

To complete my story... I've been collecting NIN stuff since I was 9 years old when my grandma bought me a "choose any 2 CDs" from BMG for Christmas. I got The Downward Spiral and Tool's Undertow and those two albums have stuck with me for my entire life. In middle school, to keep my grades up and to keep me from misbehaving, I got to go to Sam Goody or Best Buy to pick out a new CD every month when I did what I was supposed to do. So you could say that I started collecting NIN CDs when I was about 12 years old, full halo collection by the time I was 15. Once I had all of the halos my uncle would get me a special thing for birthday and Christmas like sealed Broken longbox, Reptile coffin box, Fisted box set. Fun little things that were outside of what I could find at a local store. It was about 2005 when I became obsessed with collecting promos imports vinyl VHS promos promotional items and everything and anything obscure.

If you're still reading this you're probably thinking oh my god man just get to the point this isn't a collecting thread.

Around that time I met someone on this forum. And over the years of helping each other with our collections we became great friends. He took me under his wing and made me a better person. Helped me through my divorce and a lot of my life experiences, sharing with me his life wisdom. What we have is more than just a friendship. It's a bond built on respect and love. I never had a father growing up and honestly, it's probably sad for me to say this, he's the closest thing to a father figure that I've ever had anywhere else. Because we're on opposite ends of the world I never thought I'd get to meet them but this weekend we did just that. I got to sit on the rail in front of Robin Finck with my dear friend Paul and watch Nine Inch Nails put on a fucking epic show. I've been to a lot of NIN concerts and this experience... The conversation. Being able to do what we both love to do, together, FINALLY... Greatest concert experience I've had in my entire life. Very emotional night for me after saying goodbye and never wanting to let go of that hug. Paul, you are such a wonderful person and I can't thank you enough for coming here and sharing these moments with me. It was the highlight of my trip and it's what made this the best nincation I've ever had. I am humbled.
    Last edited by heavenly_bearded; 10-29-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I’ve been thinking a lot about how you’re not usually aware of when the moments in life that stick with you the most and have the most meaning are happening to you. I look back and realize how special or important things were afterward. This trip was one of the only times where I think I knew that what I was experiencing was one of those moments while they were still happening.

Night 2 was the peak of everything I’ve been so obsessed with and been inspired and supported by for my entire adolescence and young adulthood. The whole package of this run felt like one giant sea of everything that makes me feel like waking up is worth doing. Saying you hung out on the side of a building for 3 days doesn’t sound appealing but there’s nowhere else I would have rather been. Before discovering this impossibly vast community of people I’ve never felt like I’ve had any sort of “group” or place where I belonged. Being with all of you and being at these shows makes me feel like I’m not out of place anymore when I’m there. It’s the only time I feel that and it means the world for me.

This is the ultimate arrangement of the band, the perfect type of venues and the perfect type of setlists and crowds. Being in a room full of people that all appreciated that Subterraneans performance, Jesus Christ. That would never have felt like that in an arena. The moment where we all lost our breath when AATCHB started on Friday and everything that followed, sobbing on the rail and having strangers hug me while we all cried. Screaming the ending of Becoming along with Trent and thousands of other people when I used to sing that to myself alone in my room thinking I’d never feel better and wanting to die. The massive catharsis of The Big Come Down. My favorite Bowie song. Trent looking happier than he’s ever been. Robin being Robin, his vocals on Shit Mirror. Ilan’s arms defying physics and hearing the “take me with you” vocals in my head as Trent sang the end of The Perfect Drug. Feeling that sense of limitless intensity when Starfuckers, Inc. started or when Now I’m Nothing built up and up and up and up and up and crashed into Terrible Lie. Standing there, staring at the architecture of the theatre around them, everyrhing larger than life, gorgeous and antique, gothic and magnificent, the band feeling larger than life on that high stage. Saying goodbye to everybody on Saturday night and hoping it doesn’t take years to say hello again, always wishing there was a little more time. I don’t know. You really have to be there. And I was. I was there for all of this. I am so happy this all happened exactly the way it did for me.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    Trent looking happier than he’s ever been.
    I feel like that's been this whole tour....listen to him at 1:53 here (start at 1:45 or so) -

Clearly having a great time and was REALLY into it here.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Great end to a great set of shows. A lot of people looked at me funny when I said I was going to see the same artist three nights in a row, but I'm so glad I did it. There were only 13 repeats across three nights and 61 songs. Pretty fucking good if you ask me. Twas' my 10th NIN show.

Finally got relatively close to the stage, and I'm glad to have had a different view point for all three shows.

At first, this final set seemed a tad underwhelming (especially compared to night two), but then I shook that off and realized how well it stood on its own. There was a great mix of really old and really new material. The band was on fire and Trent seemed genuinely happy and grateful to be there.

Highlights:

- Heavy PHM/Broken presence: Terrible Lie, Sanctified, Sin, Head Like a Hole, Last, Gave Up, Wish
    - LAST
    ! I knew this song would be absolutely brutal in a live setting, and it didn't disappoint. The song was SO HEAVY and the band absolutely crushed it. Very high energy.
    - Ahead of Ourselves/Shit Mirror are definitely amongst my favorites of the EP trio. Ahead of Ourselves was meant to be played live..it's so grimy and heavy. I love it.
    - The Perfect Drug - Sure, it was a repeat, but it's such a treat to finally hear it that I wasn't disappointed. Those drums are absolutely enormous live.
    - The Slip songs: 1,000,000 and Letting You. Underrated album, IMO. Glad to hear some of the stuff is still in rotation.
    - Bowie Covers - I'm usually not a huge fan of covers in a live setting, simply because they're taking up a spot where I could be hearing an original song from the artist instead. These Bowie covers were an exception, however. The execution was flawless and the emotion was there. The songs were really gorgeous, and I loved how Trent worked parts of 'God Break Down the Door/Over and Out' in there.

Turned out to be quite an eventful weekend overall. Three NIN shows, one nasty parking ticket, one (friend's) towed vehicle, an aquarium visit, my own self-made tour of historical mafia spots around the city, and countless parking struggles...it was all so worth it though.

A little disappointed in myself for not trying to meet up with any of ya'll. My hotel was like 45 minutes from the venue and I just didn't work very hard to go and be social. Probably would have made the environment better.

Still an incredible weekend. Sad it's over. Sad I won't get to see NIN again for awhile.