Thread: 2018.10.27 Chicago, IL @ Aragon Ballroom

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I’ve been thinking a lot about how you’re not usually aware of when the moments in life that stick with you the most and have the most meaning are happening to you. I look back and realize how special or important things were afterward. This trip was one of the only times where I think I knew that what I was experiencing was one of those moments while they were still happening.

Night 2 was the peak of everything I’ve been so obsessed with and been inspired and supported by for my entire adolescence and young adulthood. The whole package of this run felt like one giant sea of everything that makes me feel like waking up is worth doing. Saying you hung out on the side of a building for 3 days doesn’t sound appealing but there’s nowhere else I would have rather been. Before discovering this impossibly vast community of people I’ve never felt like I’ve had any sort of “group” or place where I belonged. Being with all of you and being at these shows makes me feel like I’m not out of place anymore when I’m there. It’s the only time I feel that and it means the world for me.

This is the ultimate arrangement of the band, the perfect type of venues and the perfect type of setlists and crowds. Being in a room full of people that all appreciated that Subterraneans performance, Jesus Christ. That would never have felt like that in an arena. The moment where we all lost our breath when AATCHB started on Friday and everything that followed, sobbing on the rail and having strangers hug me while we all cried. Screaming the ending of Becoming along with Trent and thousands of other people when I used to sing that to myself alone in my room thinking I’d never feel better and wanting to die. The massive catharsis of The Big Come Down. My favorite Bowie song. Trent looking happier than he’s ever been. Robin being Robin, his vocals on Shit Mirror. Ilan’s arms defying physics and hearing the “take me with you” vocals in my head as Trent sang the end of The Perfect Drug. Feeling that sense of limitless intensity when Starfuckers, Inc. started or when Now I’m Nothing built up and up and up and up and up and crashed into Terrible Lie. Standing there, staring at the architecture of the theatre around them, everyrhing larger than life, gorgeous and antique, gothic and magnificent, the band feeling larger than life on that high stage. Saying goodbye to everybody on Saturday night and hoping it doesn’t take years to say hello again, always wishing there was a little more time. I don’t know. You really have to be there. And I was. I was there for all of this. I am so happy this all happened exactly the way it did for me.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    Trent looking happier than he’s ever been.
    I feel like that's been this whole tour....listen to him at 1:53 here (start at 1:45 or so) -

Clearly having a great time and was REALLY into it here.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Great end to a great set of shows. A lot of people looked at me funny when I said I was going to see the same artist three nights in a row, but I'm so glad I did it. There were only 13 repeats across three nights and 61 songs. Pretty fucking good if you ask me. Twas' my 10th NIN show.

Finally got relatively close to the stage, and I'm glad to have had a different view point for all three shows.

At first, this final set seemed a tad underwhelming (especially compared to night two), but then I shook that off and realized how well it stood on its own. There was a great mix of really old and really new material. The band was on fire and Trent seemed genuinely happy and grateful to be there.

Highlights:

- Heavy PHM/Broken presence: Terrible Lie, Sanctified, Sin, Head Like a Hole, Last, Gave Up, Wish
    - LAST
    ! I knew this song would be absolutely brutal in a live setting, and it didn't disappoint. The song was SO HEAVY and the band absolutely crushed it. Very high energy.
    - Ahead of Ourselves/Shit Mirror are definitely amongst my favorites of the EP trio. Ahead of Ourselves was meant to be played live..it's so grimy and heavy. I love it.
    - The Perfect Drug - Sure, it was a repeat, but it's such a treat to finally hear it that I wasn't disappointed. Those drums are absolutely enormous live.
    - The Slip songs: 1,000,000 and Letting You. Underrated album, IMO. Glad to hear some of the stuff is still in rotation.
    - Bowie Covers - I'm usually not a huge fan of covers in a live setting, simply because they're taking up a spot where I could be hearing an original song from the artist instead. These Bowie covers were an exception, however. The execution was flawless and the emotion was there. The songs were really gorgeous, and I loved how Trent worked parts of 'God Break Down the Door/Over and Out' in there.

Turned out to be quite an eventful weekend overall. Three NIN shows, one nasty parking ticket, one (friend's) towed vehicle, an aquarium visit, my own self-made tour of historical mafia spots around the city, and countless parking struggles...it was all so worth it though.

A little disappointed in myself for not trying to meet up with any of ya'll. My hotel was like 45 minutes from the venue and I just didn't work very hard to go and be social. Probably would have made the environment better.

Still an incredible weekend. Sad it's over. Sad I won't get to see NIN again for awhile.