113 Post(s)

2018.09.22 San Antonio, TX @ River City Rockfest

Rockfest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Was an awesome show!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Anyone else get the feeling that the “technical issue” during Burn and then going into The Perfect Drug was 100% planned?
    Last edited by AndItKeepsRepeating; 09-23-2018 at 03:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow! Got back to Houston at 4:30AM but it was totally worth it. Awesome show and even more anticipation for the two Dallas shows in late November. Maybe then I'll get to hear Last and Somewhat Damaged finally.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OH, the first thing we said after the show was that it seemed that the "technical difficulty" was a set up. could be wrong but when it happened i thought "Trent seems unusually calm about this". otherwise it was an amazing show!

(side note: was anyone else over to the left side of the stage when that rather :ahem: 'robust' woman tried to make her way in front of everyone saying it was her first concert then proceeded to start rubbing her breasts on me and i had to an immediate stop to her nonsense? ugh...some people, gross)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    very happy with that set. the perfect drug, happiness in slavery, mr self destruct, and the new stuff all sounded great. not sure about the "technical issue", i couldn't tell that anything was wrong until trent completely stopped singing..i do think it's weird that they didn't finish the song. it was loud and the crowd, where i was standing at least, was very good. the weather was also just about perfect.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madcap View Post
    very happy with that set. the perfect drug, happiness in slavery, mr self destruct, and the new stuff all sounded great. not sure about the "technical issue", i couldn't tell that anything was wrong until trent completely stopped singing..i do think it's weird that they didn't finish the song. it was loud and the crowd, where i was standing at least, was very good. the weather was also just about perfect.
    The Synths weren't working during that part of the song.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Out of the 33 times I have seen NIN since 2005, River City Rockfest was the best performance I have ever seen. The band sounded absolutely fantastic, and Trent was on another level that I've never seen in person before. The dude was FEELING it, I don't know it it's due to it being a festival, or he was in some happy mood, or a combo of both, but holy shit. He was fucking all over the place, literally all over the stage the whole show, you would not think he was 53 years old. LOVED how he went into the crowd during Piggy, and you know when he gets back on stage, hops onto the speaker clumsy like to go to the keyboard, well whatever he stepped on rolled out underneath him, causing him to actually lose his balance where he kicked over a light and one of his synth rigs trying not to fall on his ass. That happening, and him stumbling to catch his balance, the guy holding the spotlight and other guy filming trying not to get out of the way of Trent and knocked over equipment, and crew running around to fix shit made so such a great chaotic visual.

And oh man when the bullhorn stopped working for him during the end of Happiness In Slavery, he fucking launched that thing into the air, couldn't tell if it fell into the crowd or not, he had his back turned when he threw it up. Speaking of launching at the end of Gave Up he threw his guitar in the air like he usually does, but then fucking jumped stomped it. It was classic Trent, it was so great to see. The few times he stopped to talk to the crowd you could tell he was in such a great mood.

So before this tour never in my wildest imagination did I ever think I would see Happiness In Slavery played live, let alone The Perfect Drug, and we got both of them. I've been in a state of euphoria ever since. Not sure if it was mentioned but Atticus' rig "lost power" during the beginning of Burn, and when it got to the "sometimes I think I could, burn" and the synth didn't come in, and then everything shut off including the lights, and Trent said something fucked up, then after about a minute they bust out with The Perfect Drug, I think that was all planned. It was oh so perfectly executed, bought it hook line and sinker.

And about the festival itself, what a fantastic job they did. They stutter stepped the set times of the 2 main stages so people could get back and forth. One cool thing that I never seen before was when 1 stage was in between bands, they would stream the other stage, so you didn't have to walk back and forth. I thought that was great. And the sound, the SOUND of both stages, the mix was perfect on each stage, and for each band! I've never seen that before, usually a band or 2 will sound off, or levels were messed up etc, not this festival. They did a great fucking job making sure every band sounded fantastic and that nothing was lost or was overpowering in the mix. Kudos to them. I still cannot get over the fact that I actually saw Happiness In Slavery and The Perfect Drug, my mind is still fucking blown from that.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    This show was great on many levels. The setlist was so good, finally got to hear tons of songs I'd never heard live. The band as a unit sound great together, and Trent seemed to be a in a great mood. Crowd was good too, being from San Antonio, I was expecting a bunch of assholes, and there were, but everyone seemed appreciative and knew all the words to most of the songs, including the newer ones. Weather was great too. Anybody see any of the other acts? I saw Joan Jett and Primus and they were both better than expected.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    Out of the 33 times I have seen NIN since 2005, River City Rockfest was the best performance I have ever seen. The band sounded absolutely fantastic, and Trent was on another level that I've never seen in person before. The dude was FEELING it, I don't know it it's due to it being a festival, or he was in some happy mood, or a combo of both, but holy shit. He was fucking all over the place, literally all over the stage the whole show, you would not think he was 53 years old. LOVED how he went into the crowd during Piggy, and you know when he gets back on stage, hops onto the speaker clumsy like to go to the keyboard, well whatever he stepped on rolled out underneath him, causing him to actually lose his balance where he kicked over a light and one of his synth rigs trying not to fall on his ass. That happening, and him stumbling to catch his balance, the guy holding the spotlight and other guy filming trying not to get out of the way of Trent and knocked over equipment, and crew running around to fix shit made so such a great chaotic visual.

And oh man when the bullhorn stopped working for him during the end of Happiness In Slavery, he fucking launched that thing into the air, couldn't tell if it fell into the crowd or not, he had his back turned when he threw it up. Speaking of launching at the end of Gave Up he threw his guitar in the air like he usually does, but then fucking jumped stomped it. It was classic Trent, it was so great to see. The few times he stopped to talk to the crowd you could tell he was in such a great mood.

So before this tour never in my wildest imagination did I ever think I would see Happiness In Slavery played live, let alone The Perfect Drug, and we got both of them. I've been in a state of euphoria ever since. Not sure if it was mentioned but Atticus' rig "lost power" during the beginning of Burn, and when it got to the "sometimes I think I could, burn" and the synth didn't come in, and then everything shut off including the lights, and Trent said something fucked up, then after about a minute they bust out with The Perfect Drug, I think that was all planned. It was oh so perfectly executed, bought it hook line and sinker.

And about the festival itself, what a fantastic job they did. They stutter stepped the set times of the 2 main stages so people could get back and forth. One cool thing that I never seen before was when 1 stage was in between bands, they would stream the other stage, so you didn't have to walk back and forth. I thought that was great. And the sound, the SOUND of both stages, the mix was perfect on each stage, and for each band! I've never seen that before, usually a band or 2 will sound off, or levels were messed up etc, not this festival. They did a great fucking job making sure every band sounded fantastic and that nothing was lost or was overpowering in the mix. Kudos to them. I still cannot get over the fact that I actually saw Happiness In Slavery and The Perfect Drug, my mind is still fucking blown from that.
    I echo all of this. He was in a great mood and seemed appreciative. Crowd was eating out of the palm of his hand. The booking of the festival was bad, but holy crap, the logistics and sound were great! I saw Joan Jett and Primus as well and both sounded excellent. I like having the visuals and audio of the other stage running with the unopposed stage. The segment during Piggy was awesome, the camera man was off balance trying to get back in place after being knocked over and just matched the chaos of the ending of it. The first four songs of the set all in a row were just punishing, loud, and passionate. I agree, this is as good as I've seen Trent and company, Just a perfect fucking show.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Photo dump. Great show, perfect weather. I was hoping HiS and TPD would make the setlist but afraid it being a festival would eliminate the rarer stuff. If you were on the front left side of the stage I was the one screaming "do it" after HMIAIH ended, beyond excited. To make things even cooler, HiS was the 100th different song I've heard live, finished the night at 101. Just watched the video and didn't catch the "So we're going to play something we weren't going to play instead" before TPD. This explains why the show went 5+ minutes overtime, after HLAH it was 11:45 on the dot and felt like they were done.

VIP wound up being a wash. It was nice to have access to AC, free water, and comfy seating between sets, but the view from the reserved areas just wasn't my cup of tea.

Aside from NIN my highlight was The Fever 333 at the tiny stage. Very RATM/LP feel. Nice to see that level of energy, looking forward to seeing these guys over the next few years.

From RCRF Insta
    Last edited by ekrekel; 09-24-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the screens on the sides of the stage were very nice. going into it i wasn't expecting much out of that festival considering it was in a parking lot, but they organized it quite well. it would have been miserable if it was hot outside though. still can't believe what a great setlist that was. that was my 13th time seeing NIN since 2000 and is definitely in my top 5.

my one complaint is parking. took us an hour to get out of the lot after it ended.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like most here, I've been to many Nine Inch Nails concerts, this concert was certainly special. Of all the shows I've seen this is definitely the most I've heard him speak during a show. The setlist was amazing! Everyone seem really enthusiastic hearing Happiness In Slavery and The Perfect Drug. I'd put this concert in my top 5 for sure.

We drove from Houston to San Antonio and arrived right when Joan Jett was getting on the stage. We slowly broke through the crowd and by the time Nine Inch Nails made the stage we were at the front - nice! Illan Rubin's girlfriend sat infront of us briefly, but the people started crowd surfing and she was kind of in the way of the staff, so she moved somewhere else. It was really cool though, she was legitly proud of him when he showed up on the side screen, she clapped and screamed with excitement. I've been waiting so long for to hear Happiness In Slavery, so that alone made my night. He mentioned the rained out show in Houston and talked about this not being the last tour. He said he was glad this was a festival with Rock in the name - which i totally get, the Day for Night festival in Houston was a weird mixed crowd. He looked fresh and into the show. We stood right directly in front of some speakers, we heard a ton of bass, so the sound was slightly off from where I was standing, but probably perfectly fine if you stood more in the center. The video guy that shows the video on the side screen was a total fanboy, he constantly whipped out his phone to take video and pictures and the alot of the staff were rocking out when they weren't getting crowdsurfers.

Here are some videos we took, but the sound is again off cause were standing infront of some crazy loud speakers.