Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Waves - a dramatic musical movie (2019)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Waves - a dramatic musical movie (2019)

Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross will be scoring Waves by Trey Edward Shults: https://www.indiewire.com/2018/07/wa...or-1201980620/

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Whoa. I actually liked It Comes At Night (which faced significant backlash because of "misleading" marketing) but this sounds completely different from that, or anything Trent and Atticus have scored before, and if this is true I have no idea what to expect. Exciting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The really interesting part-it is a musical. So Reznor/Ross might have a bigger part in this than what they have scored in the past, even if "some iconic contemporary songs" are used. Considering that they have already signed on before some of the actors, it wouldn't surprise me if they have already composed some music for the film as part of pre-production preparations. Unusual for most films, but musicals are not most films.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    This already sounds awesome. I can't wait to hear this.

The ETA would probably be late next year, right? Or even later, considering most of the cast hasn't been selected yet?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    According the article above:

"Update (July 3): The original report stating Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross will be scoring “Wavesis not confirmed yet. A producer on the project says a deal with the duo is not finalized."

Will probably happen but not "official" yet.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Are we talking a production like "Across the universe" or like "Into the wild"?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Are we talking a production like "Across the universe" or like "Into the wild"?

Into the Wild wasn't a musical?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I will keep my mind open until I see something like a trailer, but of all of their score projects, this is the one I find least exciting. I'm just not usually too interesting in musicals, I guess. Speaking of musicals, I'd love to hear more about that Fight Club musical that Chuck Palahniuk was supposedly trying to talk Trent into doing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    No, 'Into The Wild' wasn't a musical; but I think of it as more than just a simple soundtrack... maybe its just me. On the other hand 'ATU' was a full out musical and I guess it's just hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of TR producing a musical...

Lead Male: "No! Not Me! It was not ever me! It was never me in that mirrorrrRRRrrRRrr!"
    Lead Female: "Oh no! Oh no! The cracks have opened up! Can't run. Cant Run. Inside me he will be!"
    Lead Male: "She's gone"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    No, 'Into The Wild' wasn't a musical; but I think of it as more than just a simple soundtrack... maybe its just me. On the other hand 'ATU' was a full out musical and I guess it's just hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of TR producing a musical...

Lead Male: "No! Not Me! It was not ever me! It was never me in that mirrorrrRRRrrRRrr!"
    Lead Female: "Oh no! Oh no! The cracks have opened up! Can't run. Cant Run. Inside me he will be!"
    Lead Male: "She's gone"
    There are more serious musicals in existence. Les Mis is a good example, or Dancer in the Dark. Others include recent movies like La La Land and Sing Street. I could totally see a more serious musical along those lines.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I have a feeling Trent & Atticus may be providing score material only and not actually writing any of the songs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I will keep my mind open until I see something like a trailer, but of all of their score projects, this is the one I find least exciting. I'm just not usually too interesting in musicals, I guess. Speaking of musicals, I'd love to hear more about that Fight Club musical that Chuck Palahniuk was supposedly trying to talk Trent into doing.
    Based on his responses at the Chicago record store interview done last year, Trent kinda sounded like he WOULD be willing to participate, i kinda got the impression that he's just waiting on others to green light the project and it moves along before he commits to it.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I have a feeling Trent & Atticus may be providing score material only and not actually writing any of the songs.
    I've been thinking about this... "A Minute to Breathe" showed that they're capable of writing a song to fit a narrative subject. It would be very interesting to hear a whole storyline with other characters singing TR's lyrics.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The film debuts today at Telluride Festival, apparently.
    TR & AR are still listed as composers on imdb despite not being confirmed as of last summer, and they are also mentioned in the festival's PDF program: http://telluridecms-production.s3.am...uide-FINAL.pdf

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Nice review in Variety, shouting out TR&AR's contributions to stitching together the existing songs with score. And one in Indiewire too. The Hollywood Reporter calls our boys "master conjurors"!

Doesn't sound like a musical, after all. More "operatic" according to the latter review.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    This honestly looks much better than I expected.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Some of those snippets from reviews make it sound great tbf. And one of the lines of dialogue was 'We're in this together', so...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my friend Clint saw the film at CIFF recently and had this to say about the score:

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross‘ ambient score is most deeply felt in the anxiety-inducing noise of its first hour, but finds instances of grace as the film goes on.
    link

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my friend Clint saw the film at CIFF recently and had this to say about the score:

link
    looks very promising. That’s what part of the beauty of their music to me, the ability of being the right kind of noisy while being raw and human underneath

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw this at the St. Louis International Film Festival, though I think it actually gets released next week.

First off, pretty good movie.

Despite the early reporting, the film is not a musical. It's is very music driven but it's more akin to something like American Graffiti or Dazed and Confused. Music is a constant presence. Trent and Atticus's score just kind of pinch hits in between tracks. For the most part their music comes into accentuate some of the most extreme emotional moments. They get to develop a few decent motifs but mostly their contributions are some short stingers. Good work on their part but nothing that would stand apart from the film like their Fincher work.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Probably going to be an EP along the lines of mid90s, if that's the case. Quick digital download thrown up on nin.com and that's that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMorlock View Post
    Saw this at the St. Louis International Film Festival, though I think it actually gets released next week.

First off, pretty good movie.

Despite the early reporting, the film is not a musical. It's is very music driven but it's more akin to something like American Graffiti or Dazed and Confused. Music is a constant presence. Trent and Atticus's score just kind of pinch hits in between tracks. For the most part their music comes into accentuate some of the most extreme emotional moments. They get to develop a few decent motifs but mostly their contributions are some short stingers. Good work on their part but nothing that would stand apart from the film like their Fincher work.
    Thanks for this. You have successfully 'managed my expectations'....

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    Probably going to be an EP along the lines of mid90s, if that's the case. Quick digital download thrown up on nin.com and that's that.
    After that Ringer article, I think you've hit on it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    After that Ringer article, I think you've hit on it.
    Still, based on the description in the aforementioned Ringer article, I'm quite intrigued to hear

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Sounds suitably terrifying having read that article. Can anything beat Consummation though?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Sounds suitably terrifying having read that article. Can anything beat Consummation though?
    I'd pay folding money to find out.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Score should drop Monday according to Trent on Instagram.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Here's a screenshot of the comment, just in case anyone was looking and couldn't find it.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    "I'm pretty much your biggest fan of all time."

Nope, that would be me, pal..