Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen (2019)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by explodey View Post
    Anyone have any idea if this is likely to be the accompaniment to the silent film that starts the episode?
    Interesting. You might be right.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Interesting. You might be right.
    Possibly. Also, Mike Garson posted on twitter yesterday that he arranged that piece. He thanked trent as well.

From Mike Garson Twitter Feed:
    "I'm always up for a new project when @trent_reznor calls. It was a pleasure collaborating with him again and writing this piece for the opening scene of the new @watchmen series. Only Trent (and David) would allow me to be my bizzare self. #WatchmenHBO"

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Deterioration is also an issue.
    Deterioration is most definitely also an issue with CDs, too. Ever heard of “disc rot?” I have plenty of examples in my closet...

Back on topic, I really like the show so far and can’t wait to see where it goes. That scene with Spoiler: the squids raining from the sky really has me excited/intrigued to see where they go with this show! I also love all the call-backs and references to the comic/movie. I’m apparently one of the minority that actually likes the movie (Though I only watch the 3-hour director’s cut version) and this has made me want to watch that again. The score during the scene where Looking Glass was interrogating that guy in the “pod” was amazing. Several other scenes had noticeably badass score moments, as well. And I love their occasional delicate piano tracks, which (as others have stated) give of Social Network vibes, which is a very, very good thing indeed. I don’t know if I will preorder the vinyl (I also don’t have a record player and would be doing so simply for the artwork and to support them) but I can’t wait to hear the rest of this three-volume (!!) score.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    Didn't they start to at least experiment with the soundscape and some motifs going by the script alone? I seem to recall a story about TR handing some material to Fincher and saying something along the lines of "let us know if any of this sounds like the movie you have in your mind" or something. I may be mixing it up with another score, though.
    For Social Network they started with the script and also a rough cut of some scenes with Ghosts tracks temped in. They had a script for Dragon Tattoo, but nothing was filmed when composing started.
    Last edited by botley; 10-22-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    For what it's worth, this Rolling Stone article states that its going to be available on both vinyl and digital. I expected as much that a digital version will be accompanied with the vinyl release but this a bit more confirmation.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/trent-reznor-atticus-watchmen-soundtrack-901981/

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    For what it's worth, this Rolling Stone article states that its going to be available on both vinyl and digital. I expected as much that a digital version will be accompanied with the vinyl release but this a bit more confirmation.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/trent-reznor-atticus-watchmen-soundtrack-901981/
    I’m pretty sure the NIN.com announcement stated that digital releases would follow their respective vinyl releases shortly thereafter.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Aside from making better financial sense, and keeping the anticipation going for longer, it's also totally in keeping with the Watchmen aesthetic to get everything spooled out over a slow release that then later makes sense when you put it all together in retrospect.

Even just within the first episode, there have been lots of allusions to minor subplots and characters from the world of the book that will surely tie in again somehow later on. I bet there will be more in the artwork for these discs.
    Last edited by botley; 10-22-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Aside from making better financial sense, and keeping the anticipation going for longer, it's also totally in keeping with the Watchmen aesthetic to get everything spooled out over a slow release that then later makes sense when you put it all together in retrospect.

Even just within the first episode, there have been lots of allusions to minor subplots and characters from the world of the book that will surely tie in again somehow later on. I bet there will be more in the artwork for these discs.
    Furthermore, I feel like some of the artwork may include mild spoilers, which may be the reason (or part of the reason) for the "Artwork Missing" text. They may just not have it finalized, but I feel like they may just not want to reveal those images yet to preserve some element of surprise.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post

I mean...NIN.com had this posted yesterday... :shrug:

DIGITAL AND WIDER IN-STORE VINYL RELEASE FOR EACH VOLUME WILL BE AVAILABLE SHORTLY AFTER THE ABOVE DATES.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    I mean...NIN.com had this posted yesterday... :shrug:

DIGITAL AND WIDER IN-STORE VINYL RELEASE FOR EACH VOLUME WILL BE AVAILABLE SHORTLY AFTER THE ABOVE DATES.
    i guess i did a poor job reading the front page news post. I jumped straight to the order page.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think Zimbo means they made the music before filming took place. Which is true in this case... but not of Social Network (it was Dragon Tattoo where they did most of their music before the movie itself was filmed).
    Good catch! That makes more sense in terms of output. Of course they did SN after filming, giving how Fincher showed them scenes with indie music! Doh!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    I don't recommend the movie at all without having read the comic. The movie looks good and is a fun watch, but completely misses most of the messages in the book. That said, the ending of the movie might actually be better than the book, but you'll DEFINITELY want to know the book ending when watching this show.
    I would not argue to watch the movie over reading the comics. Of course read Watchmen first if you never have. But if you're strapped for time or just wanna be lazy, watching the movie will at least inform what's in the series so you can follow who people are and what has happened in the past 30 years on this planet. Yes the subtext of Watchmen is not clearly stated in Snyder's movie, but it's better than nothing. And as someone else said, do the 3 hour directors cut, b/c even more ancillary stuff is in there that will help.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I subscribe to HBOGo through Amazon and somehow I ended up looking at the reviews...woo boy. A lot of people really upset that a TV show is making the absurd suggestion that <checks notes> racism is bad.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I subscribe to HBOGo through Amazon and somehow I ended up looking at the reviews...woo boy. A lot of people really upset that a TV show is making the absurd suggestion that <checks notes> racism is bad.
    yeah, the number of people writing 1-star reviews on imdb because they "don't think white supremacy is an issue in this country" is staggering.

also, the number of people who don't know about black wall street and/or the tulsa massacre (it was not a race riot, it was a fucking massacre) is fucking scary. US history in schools is severely lacking; no wonder history is on its way to repeating itself.

anyway, i love the show so far. i felt uncomfortable and anxious during almost the entire episode, which i think is exactly the point. i can't wait to see what happens next.

oh, and the music is fucking fantastic.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The Twin Peaks soundtrack a few years ago did something like this and I thought that was a genius move. I hope it's something more shows do, just to keep interest up. I could see HBO doing it for the next season of Westworld, where the music has it's own thematic thrust through each season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The vinyls aren’t limited are they? I noticed if you order all three, they’ll ship together, so just went for volume 1. But if they’re a limited run that’s a foolish move on my part....

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Even if you place three separate orders?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No, but then you’d be paying three sets of postage. Which is fine, I was just wondering as I saw some panicked posts.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascender View Post
    No, but then you’d be paying three sets of postage. Which is fine, I was just wondering as I saw some panicked posts.
    It should ship for free 2-day if you're a Prime member.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascender View Post
    The vinyls aren’t limited are they? I noticed if you order all three, they’ll ship together, so just went for volume 1. But if they’re a limited run that’s a foolish move on my part....
    No, it does not seem like it is limited as it states "... WIDER IN-STORE VINYL RELEASE FOR EACH VOLUME WILL BE AVAILABLE SHORTLY AFTER THE ABOVE DATES."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    End credits, plus a "hidden" bonus?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    End credits, plus a "hidden" bonus?
    holy shit that’s so fucking good. I was in no rush to preorder Vol 1 but after listening to the end credits again and the “hidden” track fuck off and take my money dot gif
    Last edited by cdm; 10-23-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Not complaining but what's with blurred covers? Haven't seen that move in Trent-world before.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Not complaining but what's with blurred covers? Haven't seen that move in Trent-world before.
    This is all speculation, of course, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I imagine this is likely because the artwork either hasn’t been finalized yet and is likely to change, or it may contain mild spoiler-ish imagery from later in the series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    This is all speculation, of course, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I imagine this is likely because the artwork either hasn’t been finalized yet and is likely to change, or it may contain mild spoiler-ish imagery from later in the series.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    from what it says in the description, the artwork both in and outside of the physical packages will contain spoilers and more detailed "world-building" information related to the series. i think it's the same reason they're not revealing track names. kraw confirmed he worked on the art for these releases and that more will be revealed later.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I have the feeling this score will be the only thing i'll be listening too for the rest of the year, HOLY FUCK that 4 mins is fucking great! SAX ME UP DADDY!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    yeah, the number of people writing 1-star reviews on imdb because they "don't think white supremacy is an issue in this country" is staggering.

also, the number of people who don't know about black wall street and/or the tulsa massacre (it was not a race riot, it was a fucking massacre) is fucking scary. US history in schools is severely lacking; no wonder history is on its way to repeating itself.

anyway, i love the show so far. i felt uncomfortable and anxious during almost the entire episode, which i think is exactly the point. i can't wait to see what happens next.

oh, and the music is fucking fantastic.
    I don't think this is a problem exclusive to the US.

I'm studying history at a university in the UK, I've done US history courses that have extensively covered 20th century racism in the US and the civil rights movement, and Watchmen was the first time I'd heard about the "Tulsa Race Riot".

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The first half of those end credits were balls of the walls great but DAMN, that second half...speechless. This OST may end up being their best work yet.