Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen (2019)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprekon666 View Post
    Never ordered from them at all but I don’t live in the niagara region and live north of Toronto so I have no choice but to order online. Hope my local store gets them as I refuse to pay $10x3 to get these on release date so they better not cancel my order for volume 1. Yea those eBay prices are outrages that’s why I was like I need these before I can’t get them.

Src has the release date as Friday. Anyone up north know if a place like Sunrise would carry a release like this? If not I hope it shows up on amazon soon. Otherwise I’m waiting until December so I only have to pay shipping once with src.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    don't see it on hdtracks but that may have been a pipe dream anyway. maybe Friday?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    This is officially my second-favorite score (The Social Network being the first). This shit is so fucking good! And to think there are two more volumes on the way. And then the show is fucking awesome on top of it. Exciting times!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is so awesome, so far one of my favorites. ( on forth listen already ��)
    Last edited by That other guy; 11-06-2019 at 12:32 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Its on Apple Music now in the UK too, so I guess all streaming services should now have it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Listening to it now on Spotify.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    On Apple Music in Canada.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Is Coming View Post

Src has the release date as Friday. Anyone up north know if a place like Sunrise would carry a release like this? If not I hope it shows up on amazon soon. Otherwise I’m waiting until December so I only have to pay shipping once with src.
    sunrise has no info so at the moment is Src.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Earlier than expected release on UK Spotify - I'd figured Friday.

There is so much to love in this - agreed that this ranks high in the score works to date.....when we've got all three releases this could well be top, if they carry on at these levels of inspiration. Impressive.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I’m wondering if the action strings parody sections (most prominently on Müller Time, but also on American Promo Story and Trigger Warning) are also composed by TRAR

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    I’m wondering if the action strings parody sections (most prominently on Müller Time, but also on American Promo Story and Trigger Warning) are also composed by TRAR
    Muller Time is the most interesting track here for me, for this reason. The idea of TR&AR even interacting with an orchestra is exciting.

I imagine if they weren't composed by TR&AR, they'd be tagged as such on Spotify.

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    Muller Time is the most interesting track here for me, for this reason. The idea of TR&AR even interacting with an orchestra is exciting.

I imagine if they weren't composed by TR&AR, they'd be tagged as such on Spotify.

they did some fantastic work with an orchestra on Gone Girl! This is cool but too (intentionally) pastiche-y to feel like TRAR, even if it is them. But I’d really love to hear them working on an orchestra on something that isn’t a parody

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I went with the Target version of the vinyl releases to get the discount... a little worried about my choice now...

The wording at the bottom of the card makes me the think the initial Amazon run will be different than the retail version. Big sad.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    they did some fantastic work with an orchestra on Gone Girl! This is cool but too (intentionally) pastiche-y to feel like TRAR, even if it is them. But I’d really love to hear them working on an orchestra on something that isn’t a parody
    Yeah I was aware of the orchestra connection with Gone Girl, but to me it seemed to accent what they had already done, rather than being the focus like it is here.

Them going all out with an orchestra like the did here, but more in their own style, is something I'd love to hear and see.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    I went with the Target version of the vinyl releases to get the discount... a little worried about my choice now...

The wording at the bottom of the card makes me the think the initial Amazon run will be different than the retail version. Big sad.
    this got cleared up a couple pages ago, that card is from a press copy. there's only one version of the release, early reviewers just got that card as description to help clear things up so their reviews would make sense. when trent said "other editions" i think he meant "volumes 2 & 3" not other versions.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    this got cleared up a couple pages ago, that card is from a press copy. there's only one version of the release, early reviewers just got that card as description to help clear things up so their reviews would make sense. when trent said "other editions" i think he meant "volumes 2 & 3" not other versions.
    Ahhhh. gotcha. Thanks friend!!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    This is fucking great stuff. I'm not the first to say this but they could, and should, tour on this material...small to medium sized clubs or theaters. Tracks like Objects and Kattle Battle and Owl Hunts Rat are screaming for 4-5 minute versions. I'm so anxious to hear more and see more of this show.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Now that the digital version is out, is there anyone out there that wouldn't mind hooking up the folk who bought the vinyl (which doesn't come with a digital card or autorip on Amazon)

Like in the past, I'd be more than happy to provide a picture of my record with my username in the photo as a proof of purchase.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    In one of the interview Trent said temp tracks used before they got on board were from The Vietnam War, or something like that, and it really shows !

"NUN WITH A MOTHERFUCKING GUN" really sounds like one of the tracks after "Torn Polaroid". And the version is complete now ! It's really fucking great, those gritty NIN guitars are always a pleasure.

"HOW THE WEST WAS REALLY WON" is like an alternate take on a John Carpenter type main theme. It's "on the nose" but it works very well. And it's fucking amazing too so yeah.

Now to the listen to the rest of the album.. But it's interesting how this soundtrack is really frontal in the show and clearly follows the plot. Just listening to the music, you can feel the story advancing. Reminds me of The Social Network in the best way possible.

BUT THOSE TRACKS ARE NOT LONG ENOUGH

Edit :

"I'LL WAIT" is basically a shadowy techno track, where the fuck did that come from, that's cool. What is that reverbed string(?) instrument ?

"THE BRICK" is incredible. I feel it touches new heights for T&A. Familiar yet unsettling atmosphere. It reminds me a lot of the british show "Utopia" soundtrack, with that main synth.

"NEVER SURRENDER", hello to the HTDA / Dragon Tatoo filtered guitar. I missed you. It's time to make an extended version of NUN with that one. Oh god it has pieces of the first track too. It all segues together. Damn.

"MÜLLER TIME" makes me wonder if NIN could use a whole orchestra linked to pedals and synths and mangle and destroy and reconstruct the sounds of all instruments, like they did with the saxophone.

"OWL HUNTS RATS" is the track they put after the "end credits" video. It's really great, feels like Bad Witch is reborn in different clothes. And goddamn that distorted kick halfway through to the end. Definitely the most effective pulsation-driven track. Make it last longer goddamn.

"ABSENT FRIENDS AND OLD GHOSTS", "WATCH OVER THIS BOY" (and "ORPHANS OF KRYPTON"). The calmer track on this record. There are few, but are extremely well crafted and transmit a very peculiar feeling. If the two last tracks set the tone for what is to come, this is going to be greater even.

Doesn't "WATCH OVER THIS BOY" piano motif sound like the synth motif in "HOW THE WEST WAS REALLY WON" ?

Wait, it's actually an alternate take. Dang. It's incredible. You never disappoint T&A.
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 11-06-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    Now that the digital version is out, is there anyone out there that wouldn't mind hooking up the folk who bought the vinyl (which doesn't come with a digital card or autorip on Amazon)

Like in the past, I'd be more than happy to provide a picture of my record with my username in the photo as a proof of purchase.
    Its pretty easy to download them since they put them on YouTube...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is great. I love their new "listening experience", where the music creates its own world, in a shorter format. You have the time to focus on what's given without being overwhelmed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    These compositions are utterly engaging—an awesome mix of the familiar, peppered with true surprises (MULLER TIME's orchestration, holy cow!)

TRAR sound reinvigorated, and totally invested.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I'm just really glad to have a new TR/AR score that feels fresh and exciting. I love all their score work, but the last few bleed together for me. After TSN and TGWTDT, my expectation was that each score would feel like a completely different thing, but once they started taking on more work, the music all started to feel a little same-y to me.

And with Trent's comment that Watchmen called for music that's more in your face than the average film, I'm guessing future scores will still be more like the last few than Watchmen or TSN. I don't mind that, but I definitely hope they take on at least one project every couple years which stretches their abilities and really stands out with a strong personality.

That said, I'd love to hear this kind of music in a Pixar film. I'm so here for TOY WITH A MOTHERF*&*ING STORY.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Good soundtrack, nothing else to say. I code/program for a living and always have headphones on, I have listened to all TR/AR OTS's over and over and over since The Social Network was released, so like many of the other members here at ETS I am very familiar with the OSTs, they are great thinking music, descriptive and thought provoking. They produce some amazing soundtracks.

This recent release is fine with me. That is all.

PS: Anyone else think 'WTF!' sounds like 'Objects in the mirror'

There's a Fragile era image which was posted on NIN.COM which I cannot for the life of me find, I'm starting to second guess if it was even NIN. From what I remember TR packed a bunch of gear into a van and drove it into the desert and rolled the van. Maybe he thought it was time for a new sound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post

PS: Anyone else think 'WTF!' sounds like 'Objects in the mirror'
    Yeah that bassline is similar.

For me the soundtrack is kinda like a compilations of all the other scores they made, you can see bits and pieces from everything. The piano tracks are very much in line with stuff on Before the Flood and Mid90s

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Or maybe when he said "other editions," he meant the ones we'll be receiving, not the press copies? Either way, I also cancelled my Amazon order and went through Target instead, so I hope I get the "special edition" pictured above too.

Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post

I second this! I don't currently subscribe to a streaming service but I want a digital copy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So the vinyl has a fake tracklist? That's funny.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    So the vinyl has a fake tracklist? That's funny.
    It's not just that it's a fake tracklist...everything, the artwork, liner notes, tracklist, art on the actual record is for a band/record from the Watchmen universe.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    Yeah I was aware of the orchestra connection with Gone Girl, but to me it seemed to accent what they had already done, rather than being the focus like it is here.

Them going all out with an orchestra like the did here, but more in their own style, is something I'd love to hear and see.

I'm wondering if this is an actual orchestra or all studio trickery. There's no mention of an orchestra in the credits. Either way, "Muller Time" is the most unique thing the two of them have ever put on a score.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Holy fuckin shit, that was an awesome listen!