Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen (2019)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

This was cross-posted to the NIN facebook page. No details on who is appearing but given previous appearances it's plausible TR & AR may be participating.

Comic Con Watchmen Panel blurb:

Set in an alternate history where masked vigilantes are treated as outlaws, HBO’s upcoming series Watchmen embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel of the same name while breaking new ground of its own. From the co-creator of The Leftovers, Damon Lindelof’s new series is set in contemporary 2019 where roughly 30 years have passed since the original Watchmen story. Please join producers and series stars for an exclusive sneak peek of the first episode of the HBO series followed by a panel discussion.
    Comic Con Page

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    New featurette, has some stuff that sounds kinda TR/AR.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I am looking forward to this!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The music at :20, 1:04, and 1:50 all sounds great! I can't wait for the show AND the score! I already think this will be my favorite score of their since TGWTDT.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Another trailer.

Also, I'm doing press at NYCC this year and I reached out to HBO's PR contact and just asked if TR and AR are going to be at the panel and if there's going to be a press room as well, and they gave me a "who knows?" answer. As soon as they send out official press stuff, I'll update you guys.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    At :24 in that trailer, she says "There was a calvary involved shooting last night."
    I wonder if they'll fix it with ADR so she says "cavalry" instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    At :24 in that trailer, she says "There was a calvary involved shooting last night."
    I wonder if they'll fix it with ADR so she says "cavalry" instead.
    I'm gonna assume Calvary is the name of the cult or group.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Cobra View Post
    I'm gonna assume Calvary is the name of the cult or group.
    The next two times in that video it's pronounced cavalry.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    The next two times in that video it's pronounced cavalry.
    Maybe it's just the way the character pronounces it then? Right or wrong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    New interview with Damon Lindelof on ew.com. He talks a bit about the work of TR/AR on the show. https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/18/damon-l...men-interview/

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon View Post
    New interview with Damon Lindelof on ew.com. He talks a bit about the work of TR/AR on the show. https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/18/damon-l...men-interview/
    I'm glad he began his answer by stating that it's Trent AND Atticus, not just Trent. I get that Trent is the bigger name in the duo, but it's two guys doing the work and being credited equally, and journalists should keep that in mind.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quick NYCC update: there is no press room for Watchmen, just the panel. On the waitlist for that because apparently it's packed.
    Different PR contact said Trent and Atticus will NOT be in attendance.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I won the lottery for the panel, but probably won't be making it. Babysitter conflict. You moved up a spot. Don't think I can transfer my reservation, but if you know a way, let me know.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbeetle View Post
    I won the lottery for the panel, but probably won't be making it. Babysitter conflict. You moved up a spot. Don't think I can transfer my reservation, but if you know a way, let me know.
    This is the press section, so another outlet, HBO exec or talent from the show would have to drop out. Which might happen... I might also be able to Hunter S. Thompson my way in and get to stand quietly at the back as long as I promise not to smoke. Thank you though!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Press seat reserved! I'll be back this evening with half-remembered notes!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Okay, just got home. Here are my notes.

Opening scene - brutal, chaotic, overwhelming

Aftermath - Gentle, Bird Box-y piano

Traffic stop - Deep, huge, massive synth repetitions, incredible tension.

Pod Interrogation/Raid - Started off like 'The Background World' but then evolved and got harder, then even harder with more guitars and electronics. Fucking fantastic music for these scenes.

Pre-credits - soft, beautiful prepared piano and something like a xylophone.

Credits - High energy synthy, trademark action-y TRAR.

Overall, nothing really broke the mold, a lot of Bird Box/Vietnam War vibes, although some of the sounds and synths were not as typical for them (I'm thinking mostly of the Halloween-type synths, which were very 70's) but the action scenes (Interrogation/Raid) were very well matched.

But.

The opening scene...

That was THE BEST pairing of Reznor and Ross' music with imagery that I have ever seen. The first five minutes of Watchmen will be spoken of for a long time.

Also! At the Q&A, someone asked about the score. Damon Lindelof answered, here's the transcript:

I have a rule about composers, that they're different from show to show...one of the things that I didn't know about Watchmen was what it was going to sound like and every time I imagined what it would sound like, it sounded like Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. So I called HBO and said "these guys have never done TV before but do you think we could take a shot at them?" and Francesca Orsi said "that is so weird, Trent and Atticus' manager called this morning and they were asking about Watchmen". One of the first things Trent said was "so...are you doing the squid?" and I was like "oh this guy is all the way in". They wrote a lot of this music and sent it to Nikki (director of some of the episodes) and I before we started shooting. They said "we read the script and these are some of the things we were thinking". I'd say close to 80% of the music they wrote before we even shot is in the pilot. We were just trying to make stuff worthy of those guys, they're amazing.
    Last edited by paul_guyet; 10-05-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Okay, just got home. Here are my notes.
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing this show AND hearing what those two have cooked up for it!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    "so...are you doing the squid?"

That's such a Trent quote and i LOVE IT!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The opening scene...

That was THE BEST pairing of Reznor and Ross' music with imagery that I have ever seen. The first five minutes of Watchmen will be spoken of for a long time.
    Fuck yes, thank you for all of this

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Sooooooooo this week seems like the obvious time to get some details or (maybe) new music...<fingers crossed>

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Super Duper Deluxe Yellow Limited Edition Watchmen Vinyl Set.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    Super Duper Deluxe Yellow Limited Edition Watchmen Vinyl Set.
    Source?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Source?
    @spahn 's dreams

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Usually with HBO series, the soundtrack comes out after the season is over.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    From the Variety article that just went up:

"Additionally, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, who are responsible for the score of the show, have put together something musical to offer the audience a deeper dive into the technology of the world of 'Watchmen'".

I guess this isn't going to be a typical score after all...?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

HBO's Watchmen series

Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Usually with HBO series, the soundtrack comes out after the season is over.
    Nooooo! I hope you’re wrong about this one! Hopefully they at least release it digitally first! I thought it was about to be announced and released on streaming platforms. At least we can watch the show starting this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 10-17-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    it could also just be a fancy way of saying "this music is of electronic genre"

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

"Additionally, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, who are responsible for the score of the show, have put together something musical to offer the audience a deeper dive into the technology of the world of 'Watchmen'".

Sounds a lot like how they described The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. They wound up offering a lot more music than just what was used in the film. Sounds like we'll be getting an expanded score, like we were supposed to get (and may possibly someday still get?) with the Bird Box score.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

A deluxe edition of the album, which includes a full 4-inch HD screen (featuring original video material), a 2-watt speaker and a 36-page insert book?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    A deluxe edition of the album, which includes a full 4-inch HD screen (featuring original video material), a 2-watt speaker and a 36-page insert book?
    I lol'd