Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: 2018.09.19 Morrison, CO @ Red Rocks

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2018.09.19 Morrison, CO @ Red Rocks

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Much mellower, slower set list tonight but it was good. Definitely glad I attended last night.

Getting out of South 2 right now is impossible. So much for an early night...

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Sorry I didn’t get to meet up with people, didn’t know about the time change until after I would have wanted to leave for the adjusted times. Got in during J&MC, though I think it was only like 2 songs in by the time I got in and found my seat.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I loved this set too.

Badass seeing both nights, and with @ImTheWiseJanitor , and my wife and brother and sister in law.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Home, Happiness in Slavery, Mr Self Destruct, The Background World, Dead Souls, All The Love In The World, Eraser

Yeah, it was a killer set!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Show ended an hour earlier and I got home 25 minutes earlier. Note to self: don't park in lower South lot 1 again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So great to see variation in the set. Both nights were amazing and completely different experiences.

For the record, totally down with the band squating at Red Rocks... even if it does require travel, fucking love this venue.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Sorry I didn’t get to meet up with people, didn’t know about the time change until after I would have wanted to leave for the adjusted times. Got in during J&MC, though I think it was only like 2 songs in by the time I got in and found my seat.
    Word.
    Next time we do this, more of us should try to sit together.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by themethatyouknow View Post
    Show ended an hour earlier and I got home 25 minutes earlier. Note to self: don't park in lower South lot 1 again.
    We were in the same lot. It was a total clusterfuck. And at least three people suddenly decided that they had to do a U-turn on that tiny ass road RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR CAR. It was infuriating. Getting out on Tuesday was so easy and fast, last night was a fucking nightmare.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    We were in the same lot. It was a total clusterfuck. And at least three people suddenly decided that they had to do a U-turn on that tiny ass road RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR CAR. It was infuriating. Getting out on Tuesday was so easy and fast, last night was a fucking nightmare.
    Lower South lot 2 is the way to go. They send it out in the other direction. Tuesday night I got out of there almost immediately and was on I70 15 minutes after getting to my car.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    It was a total clusterfuck, but in my case, I wasn't in a rush to get out at all. Once I got to the car after the long walk down from the altar (I mean, stage), I just took another 20-30 minutes to smoke and let the mess sort itself out. I'd definitely rather waste time sitting and then have a hassle-free drive out than force my way into traffic and be bumper to bumper for 20 minutes! By the time I was done with that and reading around on here, things cleared up enough that I managed to drive out without a hint of traffic. But yeah, that parking setup makes people do silly things in the name of getting out just as soon as humanly possible, no matter the inconvenience it causes for the other thousands of people trying to leave.

I would've loved to meet more of you guys, too! I ended up meeting a couple strangers here and there, met @elevenism and his people, who were all awesome. I'm almost certain that while I was walking between merch booths I heard someone yell "WISE!," but didn't see anybody when I'd looked around. Between the altered set times starting things early and the total clusterfuck/marathon hike afterward, it didn't really allow us a whole lot of time to break away and mingle. (Not to mention moving from GA and getting hooked up with a spare reserved seat, again with huge thanks to @elevenism!)

Christ, what a couple of nights these were. I was hoping for a little more rain than we got, but the few sprinkles we got through a couple songs and the occasional flashes of lightning off in the distance was good enough. Setlist was just as unique as it was last night. THE BACKGROUND WORLD AND ALL THE LOVE IN THE WORLD??? Home?? HIS?? Eraser?? Even Closer and THTF didn't feel like filler tracks this time around. I don't think there was a single song that I would've done without. This Isn't The Place was beautiful and that bass rattled my bones.

While I also wish there was a small area up front for people to get mushed together like sardines and push and shove, I'll be getting plenty of that in Chicago. The trade-off we got for that was a beautiful stage setup. Seeing the shadows being thrown on the rocks behind the stage, especially during the lighting effects for Copy of A was something that could only really happen at Red Rocks, and I'm glad they saw that opportunity and opted not to hang the big background sheet for either show. Not to mention the view of the city behind the stage.

Seeing and hearing 9,000 people singing "Hurt" in unison at the end of that night in that amphitheater was absolutely perfect, too. While I was hoping we'd get a different closer for the night, looking back, I wouldn't trade that for anything else. It might have been my favorite performance of that song that I've ever been present for. I'm so happy I talked myself into getting tickets to both nights.

Now, to ogle over setlists and bath in my own jealousy while I wait for Chicago...
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 09-20-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    Seeing and hearing 9,000 people singing "Hurt" in unison at the end of that night in that amphitheater was absolutely perfect, too. While I was hoping we'd get a different closer for the night, looking back, I wouldn't trade that for anything else. It might have been my favorite performance of that song that I've ever been present for.
    I never need to hear the song again and thought that as it started last night but something about that performance and being there with a couple buddies, my wife, and @Lost2079 (who met up and sat with us) made it hit me HARD. I got extremely choked up during the second verse/chorus. Easily the best performance of the 16 I've seen.

I'm so happy I talked myself into getting tickets to both nights.
    SAME and I'm so glad I talked my wife into two more nights with NIN in Vegas!

EDIT: Did anyone else feel like the tempo of a lot of the songs was slowed down last night? Closer especially (the break down in particular) felt like it was very slow.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I never need to hear the song again and thought that as it started last night but something about that performance and being there with a couple buddies, my wife, and @Lost2079 (who met up and sat with us) made it hit me HARD. I got extremely choked up during the second verse/chorus. Easily the best performance of the 16 I've seen.
    I thought Hurt was particularly good last night too. One of the things I noticed, sitting in GA with mostly the more casual fans around me, was how they all reacted to Hurt and Head Like A Hole(not coincidentally, the 2 songs played both nights. While people like you and me(I've been to 17 shows now) might find it a bit of a boring ending, for the majority of the crowd, it's a huge moment that brings the whole show together.

The first night, I was up pretty close in row 14 and even there, the crowd barely reacted to The Perfect Drug. They lost their shit at the close with Hurt though.

Thing to remember is, you don't fill 9500 seat landmarks like Red Rocks playing only for the most die hard people who have been to 10+ shows. I think they did a great job of mixing in deep cuts and old treasures while still throwing in the hits.

Don't get me wrong, I was hoping they would go with In This Twilight. Which was absolutely amazing with everyone singing along at Red Rocks in 2008. But given the whole of the crowd, and all the people I heard talking about what they hoped to hear, Hurt is still the best closing song out there, and the way last nights crowd elevated it proves it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

SAME and I'm so glad I talked my wife into two more nights with NIN in Vegas!

EDIT: Did anyone else feel like the tempo of a lot of the songs was slowed down last night? Closer especially (the break down in particular) felt like it was very slow.
    Me too! Except, two of the three Chicago shows.

Trent was also very talkative tonight, which is always fab.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
    Me too! Except, two of the three Chicago shows.

Trent was also very talkative tonight, which is always fab.
    Zimbo, my old friend! You were at Red Rocks??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Zimbo, my old friend! You were at Red Rocks??
    Ha yes! I saw you went to the shows too but after the fact! I should check these boards more regularly... TPD!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone feel like this is the official farewell? Trent mentioned that TJMC took them out of their first tour. But I felt like he meant that it was the last tour. Perfect bookends. Double shows at venues. Adding Vegas after already playing there. The six night Los Angeles end, plus the amazing sets. Definitely feels like this is it. A subtle Wave Goodbye for the true fans.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CorycoryCC View Post
    Does anyone feel like this is the official farewell? Trent mentioned that TJMC took them out of their first tour. But I felt like he meant that it was the last tour. Perfect bookends. Double shows at venues. Adding Vegas after already playing there. The six night Los Angeles end, plus the amazing sets. Definitely feels like this is it. A subtle Wave Goodbye for the true fans.
    I doubt it. I would not be surprised if they really scaled down the touring from here on out, but from all the recent interviews it seems like they are very motivated at the moment and having a good time. Even if this was a farewell I don't think they would ever officially announce it like that after the whole wave goodbye thing.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CorycoryCC View Post
    not a chance.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Still processing how incredible these Red Rocks shows were! Please.. an official live film of this tour would be so incredible.
    Last edited by Soma; 04-02-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Night 2. I would probably say I liked more than night one. The transition from Branches/Bones to Mr. Self Destruct was fucking excellent. Same with the going from Happiness in Slavery to Eraser. Happiness in Slavery was probably the highlight. That, This Isn't the Place and All the Love in the World. Never thought I would get to see any of those ones live.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Here is my video of Happiness in Slavery

i'm uploading a few more - Home and Dead Souls right now

I also caught a good chunk of All the Love in the World

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Home

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Dead Souls