Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks - Spoilers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Twin Peaks - Spoilers

I just started watching this and have really enjoyed it so far. The surreal nature of the show is great.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    definitely one of the best shows of the nineties and beyond! be careful during season two... common popular opinion (or perhaps accepted fact) is that the show takes a dive halfway through the second season. but stick with it, i found the last few episodes of the series quite excellent, even if it was a long and arduous buildup to the finale.

rarely does a prime time soap opera/drama get as terrifying and surreal as twin peaks. as mentioned elsewhere, i will always love audrey horne. and those julee cruise songs really tug at the heart strings!

opinion seems to be split on fire walk with me, but i very much enjoy it. that said, for any beginners, do NOT watch it first, even though it's a prequel! though do be sure to seek out the two hour pilot on the gold box edition of the series, released a few years back!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I need to pull my finger out and buy that Gold Box Edition. Damn fine TV show! The endings to both series seasons are magnificent.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Damn fine TV show!
    and HOT!

(ten beans)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    and HOT!
    Agent Cooper has some outstanding lines. I also cracked up at this exchange: "What's with the lady with the log?" "We call her 'Log Lady'"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think opinion on Fire Walk With Me was only divided when it was released because Lynch hadn't entered the second phase of his career and people didn't understand the stylistic change. After he made Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive people understood in retrospect exactly what he was doing and revised their opinion on how good it is.

The other reason to watch Fire Walk With Me last is because a portion of the plot is used to tie up loose ends from season 2.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
    I think opinion on Fire Walk With Me was only divided when it was released because Lynch hadn't entered the second phase of his career and people didn't understand the stylistic change. After he made Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive people understood in retrospect exactly what he was doing and revised their opinion on how good it is.
    i'm not so sure that's true... eraserhead as definitely a surrealist nightmare (though i guess it could be dismissed as an arty college film). but blue velvet had its fair share of detractors at the time...not so much for it's complex plot, but lynch definitely had the reputation of being a bit out there/pretentious/surrealist/etc. mixed reviews for velvet, if i recall, and definitely a lot of people who hated dune.

if anything, i think lynch has proven himself these days, or perhaps seeing his influence and direction come to fruition has helped his films age gracefully and be viewed as classics. either way, fire walk with me is a must to watch upon completion of the show!
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 12-22-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I dream that someday Criterion will release a Twin Peaks set with the entire series, as well as Fire Walk With Me. It will never ever happen, but I can keep dreaming.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I love David Lynch's work(including his music). Fire Walk With Me is one of my favorite films by him. David Lynch takes the image of the show I love so much, and destroys all the innocence that remained in Twin Peaks, but after he destroys it, you can see new life start to grow from the destruction. If only he was allowed to show us the new life...

For you Twin Peaks fans, be sure to check out Julee Cruise's first two albums(Floating Into The Night and The Voice Of Love). Produced by Angelo Badalamenti, and lyrics written by David Lynch. They are amazing albums.

Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I dream that someday Criterion will release a Twin Peaks set with the entire series, as well as Fire Walk With Me. It will never ever happen, but I can keep dreaming.
    Criterion will be unnecessary since a bluray version of the Gold Box is being prepared, and it's highly likely deleted scenes from FWWM will be released with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebek View Post
    Twin Peaks is my #1 favorite tv show ever. Speaking of Lynch though, has anyone notice him playing himself in American Dad lately? I caught the Halloween episode and though "that's weird, Lynch is in a cartoon... maybe since it's a weird Halloween episde" -- but then I saw him in another one, too.
    You sure it wasn't The Cleveland Show? David Lynch plays Gus The Bartender on it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Criterion will be unnecessary since a bluray version of the Gold Box is being prepared, and it's highly likely deleted scenes from FWWM will be released with it.
    Really? I haven't heard of this. When was this announced?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seriously. How long have we been waiting for those scenes? By the way, the entire series streams in 1080p on Netflix Instant (and it's so beautiful), so there is obviously an HD master of the show floating around out there waiting to be released on blu-ray.
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-23-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Mark Frost announced it on twitter a while back, plus Lynch has mentioned it in interviews. Now, Mark Frost is the only one who has said that it's possible that FWWM deleted scenes may show up on the bluray.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Seriously. How long have we been waiting for those scenes? By the way, the entire series streams in 1080p on Netflix Instant (and it's so beautiful), so there is obviously an HD master of the show floating around out there waiting to be released on blu-ray.
    Legit HD 720p files can be bought on itunes

Quote Originally Posted by cicatriz View Post
    I was ready to jump onto the Twin Peaks bandwagon until I made it to Season 2. Fuck it's bad.
    It gets better towards the big reveal and at the very end.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    You sure it wasn't The Cleveland Show? David Lynch plays Gus The Bartender on it.
    Ahhh, you're totally right it was The Cleveland Show! Getting confused with my Seth MacFarlane shows... but yeah, I found that totally weird and unexpected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Lynch has always said the only reason they haven't released the FWWM deleted scenes is because he wants them to be in good quality and no one will spend the money on that.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I watched the 4th episode tonight. I guess I'm going to be a week behind everyone else, since I didn't binge watch all at once.

About lost my shit when Denise walked onscreen. Naomi Watts, Michael Cera and Robert Forester were all entertaining, as well. Chrysta Bell... I could watch her all day. I'm sure that's the point..

That scene when Dark Cooper is talking to Gordon Cole after 25 years was bone-chilling af. McLachlan has been killing it with these multiple roles/personas. My only gripe so far is that most of the returning characters who have shown up have been limited to a single scene. Ben and Jerry Horne, Shelli, James...I'm hoping this isn't a reoccurring trend as this whole thing slowly unspools and all 200+ characters show up. Hopefully it all pulls together into the center of gravity at the town of Twin Peaks, and all of the major characters will come together and start intersecting with one another.

I know a few people have not been on board with the different musical acts playing at the bar to signal the end of each episode, but I've been fine with that and think it's a nice touch. All of the music has been top notch and befitting of the series so far. I'm glad Lynch is making this its own thing in the modern era, and not some hackneyed attempt to catch lightning in a bottle twice..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i definitely got the impression that Spoiler: he may have done that to diane, but not to audrey. audrey was in a coma from the explosion at the bank and that's all i gleaned from what doc hayward said.
    I think Dark Cooper did the same thing to Audrey that we're thinking he did to Diane. Doc Hayward said the last time he ever saw Cooper, he had checked himself out of the hospital on his own accord, was coming from Audrey's room, and had that strange look on his face. It's very possible he somehow Spoiler: demon-seeded her while she was comatose, especially given how unhinged Richard Horne is. When he finally crosses paths with Dark Cooper, we'll know for sure..

Also, did anyone else notice how uncharacteristically assertive Andy was when he was meeting with the guy about the truck, setting up a secret meeting with the guy later? And showing off a Rolex, which was more than obvious on his wrist? Is he not really as glib as we've been led to believe all along..?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

Some people will harsh on this version, but that's fine. I love it and I love her. Don't give af if some think she can't act; her twitchy, peculiar body language is one of my favorite aspects about this new season. And she has the goddamn sexiest walk for a woman I think I've ever seen in my life. You can especially see it in that scene when she's told to go back in the diner by Gordon after they visit with DoppelDale.

Her new album is choice, too..

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Some people will harsh on this version...
    Not me, that's for sure. Worth noting that an MP3 is available through her website. It's very different, of course, but I'm loving it.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

Some people will harsh on this version, but that's fine. I love it and I love her. Don't give af if some think she can't act; her twitchy, peculiar body language is one of my favorite aspects about this new season. And she has the goddamn sexiest walk for a woman I think I've ever seen in my life. You can especially see it in that scene when she's told to go back in the diner by Gordon after they visit with DoppelDale.

Her new album is choice, too..
    I agree about her walk. But now I'm wondering if you have an answer to the question that you originally posted.

The only thing that really has me thinking non-linear is the part with Dale in the white lodge (?) talking to the giant/fireman(?). I think that scene could be after he's woke up from his dougie phase.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Boy, I don't know about the rest of you, but I was fuckin' lol'ing big time when that sick kid was coming up out of the passenger seat and the horn-honking lady was screaming her ass off outside the RR

Seriously, wtf was that..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I'll eat you.

Also, Lissie is the worst lip-syncer I've seen in quite some time. Episode was dedicated to David Bowie. And that jail cell scene with Chad had me lol'ing hard.

Was this the first episode of the revival with no actual Dougie-Coop in it?

Great stuff this week..

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Was this the first episode of the revival with no actual Dougie-Coop in it?
    I might be remembering wrong, but I think I recall at least one episode without any Coop/Doug, because I was disappointed that we got no development in that part of the story.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Sherilyn Fenn's horrid nose job reminds me of Michael Jackson.

Tonight's episode was an absolute banger. The emotion was off the charts. Tears when Cooper finally woke up and the Twin Peaks theme started, tears when Diane was telling the others about her rape, tears when Coop was saying goodbye to Janey-E and Sonny Jim. The sound design was a work of art in itself during this hour. I was about to lose my shit when they showed Dougie in a coma, after 14 prior fugue state episodes, but this crushed it in the second half and was more than satisfying.

Jerry Horne wandering around for days with no human contact only to stumble upon his grandson and an FBI agent he hasn't seen in 25+ years in the dead of night = the worst drug psychosis ever. I'm guessing the two matching coordinates were a trap for Doppel Coop, and the third set is what he's looking for?

Bonus observation: Candy's customary facial expression in the limo made that entire scene for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hearts of gold!
    What a rollercoaster, damn! I agree the sound design is a work of art. I'm actually speechless after seeing this episode.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Jerry Horne wandering around for days with no human contact only to stumble upon his grandson and an FBI agent he hasn't seen in 25+ years in the dead of night = the worst drug psychosis ever. I'm guessing the two matching coordinates were a trap for Doppel Coop, and the third set is what he's looking for?
    Grand-nephew

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    @elevenism Absolutely not! Quite the opposite, actually. I savored every moment of this revival and I'm legitimately sad to see it end.

I think I went into this like everyone else did, expecting something entirely different to what we were presented. I knew it would be weird, but holy shit. This whole thing screwed with my emotions something awful, yet in the best ways possible.

Were there things I found perplexing? Yes, no question. Audrey's virtual non-presence. The subplots that seemingly went nowhere, like the couple watching the glass box in the pilot, or Dougie's entire storyline with the Mitchum brothers. The end result of those were...what exactly? If you compared the actual main narrative of DougieCoop/DoppelCoop to everything else that was happening in the meantime, you could have probably told the story of Cooper's re-emergence from the Black Lodge in half the episodes this encompassed.

But I understand that, outside of Dale, this was never supposed to be about the characters returning from the first two seasons. It was about the new characters we were introduced to and came to enjoy, or loathe. It was fascinating to see great actors and actresses like Naomi Watts, Jim Belushi, Eamon Farren, Jennifer Jason-Leigh, Tom Sizemore and Tim Roth become compelling new additions to the Twin Peaks lore. It offset the returning characters like Nadine, Ben, Shelly and James just kind of...being there.

If there's one criticism I have of the whole thing, it's the way it came to a head in the 17th episode. Just felt very underdeveloped. We went through all that for a rush gang meeting at the sheriff's station so some character we only just met can defeat an evil we've been haunted by for over a quarter century? That sort of thing belongs in the second half of season 2, before Lynch stepped back in. However, once Coop gave his "curtain call" line to Gordon and Diane, it was one hell of a final hour. I'm still trying to process it..

In the end, if this is truly over and this is all we get, then I love the fact that I waited 25 years for answers to something that's only left me with more questions than ever before. I love that. It was so worth it. I have no idea what the fuck I watched in that final hour, or what it's all supposed to mean, but somehow it's strangely satisfying. C'est la vie.

I would gladly welcome another season or two. But...if there's never another episode of Twin Peaks, it came to one hell of a motherfucking end

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Went into my local Best Buy this morning and purchased the blu ray for about $40. I had a coupon. Like eight copies sitting right in front under "new releases" when I walked in. Can't believe so many others are having a hard time scoring this..

Also, it needs to be said that Dale Coop has some serious game when he can sit in the Black Lodge for 25 years, come out practically retarded, and still manage to rock Naomi Watts' world off her axis with virtually zero effort, ffs

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Went into my local Best Buy this morning and purchased the blu ray for about $40. I had a coupon. Like eight copies sitting right in front under "new releases" when I walked in. Can't believe so many others are having a hard time scoring this..

Also, it needs to be said that Dale Coop has some serious game when he can sit in the Black Lodge for 25 years, come out practically retarded, and still manage to rock Naomi Watts' world off her axis with virtually zero effort, ffs
    yeah, seriously...you'd think that coopindick would be the cock rocker ;p (or is it "dickincoop"? i still haven't sorted that one out rofl)
    ea: hey, maybe *that* is what the fireman meant by "listen to the sounds"??????? springs a rocking, knees a knocking? lol. you have given me the giggles for today. thank you.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Season 3 is my favorite season of the series, even if it's easily the weirdest and most insular of the bunch. There are so many scenes, segments and random bits that have literally no bearing on the main narrative arc of the season. Lynch was clearly trolling his audience with a good portion of it.

I love what they did with the musical acts at the bar, which usually signaled the end of the episode. The third episode performance by the Cactus Blossoms is my favorite, with the second episode Chromatics performance, the Nine Inch Nails and Sharon Van Etten very close behind. It really is like watching an entirely different series than what was presented in the two previous seasons, while still feeling like everything belongs under the same Twin Peaks sky all the same. The Final Dossier left me with the feeling that this is all we're getting, and I'm comfortable with that..

Bonus NIN-spotting: in Ben Horne's Red Room documentary featurette Behind the Red Curtain (exclusive to the blu-ray package), one of Lynch's boom mic operators is seen wearing a 2005-era Spiral fan club t-shirt when they're shooting the scene inside Frank Truman's sheriff office. That same boom mic operator is briefly seen wearing what appears to be a Hesitation Marks tour shirt at the end of the fifth Impressions documentary segment, when the cast and crew are announcing the end of shooting for David Patrick Kelly (Jerry Horne). He's also wearing an APC shirt in another one of the documentary segments..

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Bonus NIN-spotting: in Ben Horne's Red Room documentary featurette Behind the Red Curtain (exclusive to the blu-ray package), one of Lynch's boom mic operators is seen wearing a 2005-era Spiral fan club t-shirt when they're shooting the scene inside Frank Truman's sheriff office. That same boom mic operator is briefly seen wearing what appears to be a Hesitation Marks tour shirt at the end of the fifth Impressions documentary segment, when the cast and crew are announcing the end of shooting for David Patrick Kelly (Jerry Horne). He's also wearing an APC shirt in another one of the documentary segments..
    I noticed the guy with the APC T-Shirt, but i didn't noticed the NIN shirts, gotta check again!