Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks - Spoilers

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ^David has said countless times that the main reason why he hasn't made a film in recent years is because he doesn't really have any ideas.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun...-film-20120622

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Cool article on how to continue the series here
    After reading it i would love to see a third season for Twin Peaks so bad!

I also found a petition to bring back the series: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/b...ck-twin-peaks/

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Twin Peaks is the greatest show of all time. Its something of a holy grail and remains unrivalled.

That said Im not eager to jump on the season 3 bandwagon. On the one hand I wonder where things would have gone from its ending... on the other there's a lot that can go wrong. That petition raises a good point: there are a lot of unanswered Twin Peaks. But if ever there was proof that some questions are best left unanswered, it is Twin Peaks itself, which failed because its ultimate question was answered in concession to executives. David Lynch movies aren't about explaining themselves, its one of their brightest defining qualities. The fact that they can engage the viewer long after they finish.

If I were to jump on the bandwagon, it would only be on the condition that David Lynch were on board for the whole thing. And he won't be. If he wanted to do it, he woupd be doing it. He isn't the type to wait for the TV go ahead, especially in this day and age. Part of me would rather see how the mulholland drive show would have come out...

Im curious to see what will happen.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Twin Peaks and Carnivale are the 2 shows that left me so frustrated because of unanswered questions but like many I wouldn't want the quality of a show to be compromised just because the public need answers. Sometimes, it is better to not have them at all.

I'll give Picnic at Hanging Rock as an example. What makes the novel (and the film) so great is the mystery of what happened to the girls. Originally, Joan Lindsay had written the last chapter, explaining everything but the publisher made the decision to remove that last chapter which was a stroke of genius. When the "missing chapter" was finally published years later, readers were disappointed with the author explanation of the mystery because what made the novel was the "not knowing".

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    didn't realize there was a dedicated thread for the show!

finally watched "fire walk with me" last week and it really got under my skin.

in fact, just today, i got this:

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    cool tat man! i want to get an owl as a homage to the series (amongst other things), now i just need money...

Oh, in other "news"...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Twin Peaks

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    didn't realize there was a dedicated thread for the show!

finally watched "fire walk with me" last week and it really got under my skin.

in fact, just today, i got this:

Nice tat!

I didn't care much for FWWM the first time. Second time was a little better. Some of the lines were great. Especially the "prom queen" line.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    There's a cabaret night in London called The Double R Club which is essentially a David Lynch-themed event. Free "Agent Cooper" (i.e. coffee style) cocktails and doughnuts on entry, acts from the films/TV shows (e.g. stripping Audrey Horne, lipsyncing, Bob-style body modification) and "guess who" style quizzes with bunny-themed prizes. Oh, and a yearly Miss Twin Peaks contest.

It's pretty good.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i started watching TP on netfling. i've been meaning to get back on it, and i think i will after reading this thread.
    speaking of david lynch, can someone...anyone...explain Mulholland Drive to me? I love Eraserhead and Lost Highway, but i am secure in knowing that these are admittedly, not exactly cohesive "stories," per se. I look at lynch movies almost like paintings. But with Mulholland Drive, lynch himself swears up and down that it IS a cohesive story. After 8 or 9 viewings over the years, i have a theory...but like bowie said on earthling..."I dont want knowledge, i want CERTAINTY!"

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Mulholland Drive is the wrong place to go for certainty. But most people assume that it's about a dream.

Eraserhead on the otherhand, is actually a cohesive story especially compared to Mulholland Drive and lost highway. It's deceptively simple and straightforward.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Mulhulland Drive does have a cohesive story. Just have to watch it a couple times to get it. And some of the story isnt linear. I'll try to explain it though.

Spoiler: it was a dream. Diane and Camilla had a fling and were actresses. Camilla was more successful and so on. In the dream, everything was almost the complete opposite from reality:

In the dream, the waitress' name was Diane. In reality, it was Betty.
    Betty was well received during the audition. Diane wasn't.
    In the dream, the director was forced to hire Camilla due to pressure from outside influences.
    The director's life was falling apart around him. But, really, it wasn't.
    Diane was dead in the dream. Same apartment and everything.
    The hitman was a clutz in the dream. He was actually the opposite.
    The limo drops Diane off at Mulholland. She goes up and the opposite direction.

It's Diane's guilt before committing suicide. Everything in the dream was everything she wished things would've been. Success etc.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I've got about 7 episodes left to go and then I'm finished watching season 2 for the first time.

I can definitely see how this season was starting to get frustrating for some folks, certain things that you were more interested in ended up taking a backseat for a bit and they went down all these detours with the characters that just wasn't as interesting.

Also it's funny, I was just thinking on how this show is probably responsible for inspiring what ended up being The X-Files a year or so later...

Low and behold David Duchovny shows up in some Twin Peaks episodes lol
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 06-14-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    david duchovny in drag...oooooh boy, did i like that too much.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Heather Graham was cool too!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

How's annie?!?!?!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    How's annie?!?!?!
    I don't know but god damn it why'd it have to end like that?!!!!

I just finished that last episode, ugh i want moooooore.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I felt cheated by the end. The movie doesn't really answer anything either. Spoiler: Guess he's stuck there... I saw somewhere that they were to go to the black lodge to save him, if there was a third season..

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Your crazy! Tue ending is like the best episode of anything ever! The perfect ending! Blasohemy!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    So is there going to be a Twin Peaks Season 3 or what?
    if it was 1993, i would say GOD DAMN I HOPE SO! but since it's 20 years after that, i dearly hope not. it wouldn't make any sense to go back. i wish that lynch had made more films like he had planned, exploring more of the characters and storylines from the town, but he didn't, and i'm ok with what we have. :: shrug ::

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Your crazy! Tue ending is like the best episode of anything ever! The perfect ending! Blasohemy!
    I liked the finale. Just bummed that the series and movie ended with more questions than answers. That final episode is one of the best things I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    One thing that's eating me...why does the movie contradict the show with Donna's character and her involvement with Laura? this seems like a pretty huge difference... is it supposed to be an alternate reality/timeline of events or what?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

It's a prequel. What contradiction?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    It's a prequel. What contradiction?
    Hahaha cheeky :P

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    SOME SPOILERS AHEAD

On the series ending:
    I like the ending, i know the series was intended to continue, but i think the final chapter is awesome and the "inconclusive" nature of the final scene is what makes it for me... in a way it says: Copper was the real victim and Bob always wanted an intelligent honest man ...that's fuckin scary!
    I can't think a better way to end a different and unique TV show, than that last scene... not your regular: "happy ending", but an end with a BANG!!!

On the movie:
    I don't think it's bad is a prequel because the movie fills most of the gaps on the series.... as a "sole movie", it's a total failure (mostly because you have to know the series beforehand), yet as a "long prequel chapter" it's awesome! and the movie also gives closure to the audience showing us that Cooper will always be "lost" in the Black Lodge but will always protect Laura until the end, that's another good ending that does not contradict the series yet it gives us peace...

Still the series can continue from this point and it would be awesome but only if David Lynch and Mark Frost are involved.
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 06-18-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: BOB made me do it!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The best part of the movie was Teresa Banks investigation at the beginning.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Lynch is done with it. He's said he's fine with someone coming along and rebooting it, if done right. And I'm lost by a few things though.

What happened to Desmond?
    And it seemed like Cooper would be stuck there for at least 25 years. Assuming from what Laura told him in the lodge.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Lynch is done with it. He's said he's fine with someone coming along and rebooting it, if done right. And I'm lost by a few things though.

Most likely taken to the Black Lodge

And it seemed like Cooper would be stuck there for at least 25 years. Assuming from what Laura told him in the lodge.
    That is correct, also in the movie we find out that Laura had the same dream as Cooper, so she knows him already when they meet in the Black Lodge

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

That whole 25 years thing is interesting to think about, if that's how much time is supposed to have passed in the real world i wonder how it'd reflect on the time passed when Cooper is actually supposed to be stuck in there considering time is supposed to be a non-issue in the lodges and they supersede the past, the present and the future..., they are neither here nor there yet they ARE here and there... it's fucked up.

Desmond went to or is on his way to the black lodge via the waiting room since Mike/Little Man obviously gets the ring back from him somehow. Unless he conjures up another one and uses his magics.

Whenever Laura or Cooper have these dreams, are they essentially projecting their subconscious into their shadow selves?

Also when Cooper mentions to Albert about what he knows about the next murder, whether that was info he got or gathered from a "dream" or not is it also possible that he got some offscreen information from the Giant? that and who would have given him the idea to do that security camera thing?
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 06-18-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

But, wouldn't have Desmond have left the lodge at some point, or do you think he ended up in the white lodge, and simply is dead? And what about bowie's character? Seems apparent that he was also in the black lodge, got out, then disappeared (?). Amazing series.