Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks - Spoilers

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I loved it. So glad it didn't feel like something revived to simply be a nostalgia trip.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I haven't felt this happy all year. It was like I got to see the first David Lynch movie in a decade but there's still 20 more hours of it waiting. My brain is on fire and I want to do is think and talk and dream about it. I am so happy that I'll be experiencing this as it happens; it feels so magical to me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeninphoenix View Post
    It doesn't help that I have never watched the original series because I am so mindfucked right now.
    Yeah same here.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    hah why would you guys do that? it's clearly meant to continue after the events thus far.

stop what you're doing and watch the first season & the crucial season 2 (first few, last few), then the movie, THEN get back to it.

that all said, i both love and am a little disappointed by things thus far. the nightmares and music are on point, the ridiculous camp factor is a bit lacking for me, and i'm not quite sure how the old characters really fit into the story yet, but time will tell.

going to start episodes 3 & 4 against all better judgement. happy monday, me.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I haven't felt this happy all year. It was like I got to see the first David Lynch movie in a decade but there's still 20 more hours of it waiting. My brain is on fire and I want to do is think and talk and dream about it. I am so happy that I'll be experiencing this as it happens; it feels so magical to me.
    my wife is sleepy so we are waiting till tomorrow, but this short review, coming from someone whose taste i trust, is very promising. Thank you

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    ...I have so many fucking questions.

It felt great to me. All the atmosphere of Lynch's later works, nightmare imagery where appropriate, necessary doses of humor, all setting up an entirely new mystery. And it feels modern.

You-know-who is basically Glenn Danzig if he were a stylish serial killer and it's amazing.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Came Back Haunted: The Movie

Really enjoyed those first 2 episodes - disturbing and surreal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm confused, can someone explain to me exactly which episodes are out? Does the first 2-hour episode count as part 1 AND 2 or is that simply a 2hr episode 1 and there are 3 more out?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    Came Back Haunted: The Movie
    Haha, I thought the same CBH was definitely the screen test for this!

I've only seen 1-2 so far (had to go to work) and I am very happy with what I've seen so far on what can be digested on a first viewing. The scene in Vegas was great for the fangirl in me!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    ...I have so many fucking questions.

It felt great to me. All the atmosphere of Lynch's later works, nightmare imagery where appropriate, necessary doses of humor, all setting up an entirely new mystery. And it feels modern.

You-know-who is basically Glenn Danzig if he were a stylish serial killer and it's amazing.
    no, he's Gene Simmons! hahahahaha

so, a few things:

i'm really mad we watched it through the "live tv" option on the showtime anytime app, because the audio was only in stereo, not surround, and it was WAY over-compressed. so, for example, Spoiler: when whatever the fuck it was came out of the box and tore apart the faces of those two people, it was supposed to be really loud (i could tell), but the volume dipped way down. likewise, any time there was a loud ambience bed, when someone would speak, the ambience would almost go away completely instead of the dialogue blending into it. so i'm really hoping to re-watch the first two with proper sound. i checked, and if you watch them via the app but NOT from the "live tv" section, they play in full 5.1. david lynch's sound design is one of my favorite things about his work, and not being able to fully appreciate it was a real bummer.

all that nerdiness aside, i like that it brought up way more questions than it answered, i like that it brought back SOME familiar faces but not all of them yet, i like that somehow Spoiler: phillip jeffries is still part of what's going on, and i like that, even though it jumped around a lot, location-wise, it still felt quintessentially like twin peaks.

a few more specific things:

Spoiler: 1) sorry, shelly, james was NEVER cool...but he does look pretty damn good, now.
    2) is doppel-dale BOB, or is he just also evil? or is it both? like, he's evil, and sometimes BOB can take possession of him, just like he can with regular humans?
    3) who is the eccentric billionaire that funded the research involving the box? i'm sure that will eventually be answered, but i'm definitely curious.
    4) i'm sad that michael j. anderson is no longer the arm, but i know someone mentioned his health has declined so i'm ok with how they adapted, especially since it's like 100% lynch.

so i'm really excited to keep watching and see what the fuck is going on.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    I would like to posit that James had a shitty STORYLINE, but I never hated the character or actor. I thought he was pure James Dean. He just wasn't used the right way.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    we watched The Missing Pieces today and GOD DAMN i wish they had incorporated them into the film! they add back in the levity that was missing, they explore the relationship between laura and her mother (and i think sarah palmer is now my favorite character) which is SO IMPORTANT, and they answer a few (but not a lot) of the questions i've had, which is great. i feel like it wouldn't have been to hard to piece together a director's cut that includes them. at least they're all there!
    Look up Q2's fanedit.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Look up Q2's fanedit.
    awesome! thank you! and it's actually in surround!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    awesome! thank you! and it's actually in surround!
    I was actually just going to reply to your other post about the sound in the stream last night. I watched 1 & 2 via the Live TV option and you're right, it was in stereo, but I watched 3 and 4 on demand in the app and that was also in stereo. I have the app on my Amazon Fire TV, so maybe that has something to do with it, but it bothered me too.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I watched the first episode last night, and I loved it! Love the new mystery, loved the New York stuff, and am very curious about the Dale Cooper stuff! (I think these statements are fairly spoiler-free)

My only fear was that we would start right back with cherry pies and damn good coffee, but luckily no, it didn't bother to put us back into that comfortable place.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Something that some people have seemed frustrated by is exactly why I'm loving this and am totally on board already -- it isn't catering to the nostalgia factor of the series at all. This feels like it's picking up exactly where it should for the sake of the story and the characters at hand rather than giving everybody a comforting, pleasant little window back into the things they used to love. I'm really exhausted with revival syndrome in TV these days in general and this is the first thing to be brought back where I've not felt like it's pandering to me, but is instead a genuine and valid artistic creation continuing what was left behind.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So if these first 4 (or is 1 and 2 considered one episode?) are indicating a trend, it seems we might be getting a different band playing at the roadhouse at the end of each episode. Wondering if that means Trent, Mariqueen, and Robin's cameos will be in that capacity. If so, I'm looking forward to seeing what they perform. NIN? HDA? A cover of someone else?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i am mostly enjoying it but have some serious issues. while i didn't expect (nor want) a return to form in any way, i am missing a little bit of the magic and charm that made the original series work. twin peaks has never been fun and games, but there was still a little quirkiness that balanced the darkness. episode 4 brings a lot of it back, but it falls flat for me for a few reasons, namely the lack of music. music has been such a central part to ALL of lynch's work, and i find that it's sorely missing in all of the episodes so far. with only noise and drones for the majority of the episodes, the lighthearted moments feel forced, poorly paced, and excruciatingly slow.

i loved the chromatics' appearance in the roadhouse, but now i am finding the hipster indie band vibe to be a bit of a formula already. the chromatics piece felt similar enough to julee cruise to capture that magic, but i really dislike the idea of every episode ending with a modern indie rock band song, especially if it fails to capture the ethereal/haunting beauty of cruise.

still on board for the most part, but these things are a bit frustrating and keeping me from loving it outright.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I was actually just going to reply to your other post about the sound in the stream last night. I watched 1 & 2 via the Live TV option and you're right, it was in stereo, but I watched 3 and 4 on demand in the app and that was also in stereo. I have the app on my Amazon Fire TV, so maybe that has something to do with it, but it bothered me too.
    we were watching on an AppleTV and when i checked episode one via the on demand option, it definitely was spitting out 5.1, even during the showtime bumper at the beginning. weird that it wouldn't on the fire stick :/

also, in case anyone didn't know, i wrote a song that was heavily inspired by Twin Peaks and is on the album i put out last august - https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/track/the-black-lodge
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 05-22-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Frankieteardrop put it perfectly, these are exactly the thoughts I had while watching it all today. Especially on the music part, it was sorely missing.

Another thing is, this feels 100% Lynch and 0% Frost. Not that it's inherently a bad thing, but I don't think most people will be able to take in 18 hours of undilluted Lynch. I also got a very Mulholland Drive feel from it. Like maybe he used some of the stuff here that was originally meant for the Mulholland series.
    Last edited by Nyx; 05-22-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Twin Peaks

LET'S ROCK.

This summer is going to be trippy as fuck, guys.

What an astounding return for Lynch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ARRRRRRGGHHHHHHH!!!1 ITS AMAZING!!!!!!!! ITS AMAZING!!!!!!!

It's creepy, Its fun, Its nightmarish, Its hilarious, Its brilliant.

There are constant nods to shitty remakes and reunion specials, it parodies variety shows and it pokes fun at those looking for a rehash of the original.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Also does anyone agree that Michael Cera acted more like Dick's son rather than Andy's?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex of scotland View Post
    Also does anyone agree that Michael Cera acted more like Dick's son rather than Andy's?
    He was acting like Marlon Brando. Hence the character name, Wally Brando.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I have only seem the first episode (two episodes?) and it has made painfully aware that I want an entirely possible but horribly unlikely Mulholland Drive series, as Lynch originally intended

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    He was acting like Marlon Brando. Hence the character name, Wally Brando.

Sure, But thats a "Dick" thing to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLoved it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The premiere had both the first and second episodes edited together, yet the ones on amazon are both separated into their own episodes. I wonder which way it'll be released on bluray, because those episodes seem like they're meant to be together. What's it like on other services?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post

I also had zero problem with Spoiler: Madeline Zima popping in to get nude and then get butchered by Came Back Haunted, the creepy monster thing. There's the David Lynch I know and love..
    That was the best scene of the first episode in my opinion; it made me say out loud: "Fuckin' Lynch" (both in a scary and admiration tone...)