Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ozark: Netflix TV series

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Finally finished and I'm up to date. The series separates itself from Breaking Bad and I like that. I also like the similarities, but dam, there are so many unlikable characters in this show. Season 2 was a bit on the boring side at times, but it made sense with what we got in season 3, but honestly I was expecting more with the newest season. I liked Ben's arc up until the very end; it was very anticlimactic, but I respect the hell out of the show for taking that situation and making the family plunge down into an even darker hole. Jonah... Kid needs a fucking win. Charlotte has to be one of the dumbest and most useless characters I have ever seen on a show before.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Going out on top, love it.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Rewatching Seasons 1 and 2 because I don't remember shit.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Not super into this first part of the final season except Spoiler: Jonah hating Wendy, who is the absolute worst. I’ve been waiting for Darlene to die since the beginning of the show and yet it sucks that it came at the hands of such a lazily written character. What is up with the car accident at the beginning of the first episode, by the way?
    Last edited by Swykk; 01-25-2022 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Wow the final like twenty minutes of the mid-season finale was so great. I don't think I breathed once during all of that. Can't remember if the girl who plays Ruth has won any awards for this show yet or not, but jesus fucking christ she should get something. Her and Laura Linnie are fucking unbelievably great in this show.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Linney is a great actor and great in this. I definitely hate her character (and believe you are supposed to). Julia Garner has in fact won two Emmys for supporting actress as she deserved to.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Just finished episode 7. Intense! Ruthie is going to go ape shit in the final 7. Wonder how long we'll have to wait.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Just finished episode 7. Intense! Ruthie is going to go ape shit in the final 7. Wonder how long we'll have to wait.
    I'm betting either late fall or around Christmas.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Im so upset right now. I had no idea this was getting split into two parts! I was fully ready to binge the rest after episode 7

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Soo, it's back. Cannot wait to see how they tie this all up. This and Better Call Saul being on at the same time will definitely be giving me more grey hairs.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Spoiler: Just finished the finale. I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't say I'm satisfied.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Watched the first two episodes of the 2nd half last night, god I love Ruth.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Going to finish the last two episodes today. Kind of fumbling the landing here a bit, but it's still really good.

Spoiler: Edit: That is how it ends? No weight behind most of it and feels more like a season finale than a series finale. I'm floored that Wendy survived any of this; very undeserving. So disappointed...
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 05-02-2022 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Watched episodes 3 and 4 of the second half last night. The fight scene at the traffic stop was hilarious.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Going to finish the last two episodes today. Kind of fumbling the landing here a bit, but it's still really good.

Spoiler: Edit: That is how it ends? No weight behind most of it and feels more like a season finale than a series finale. I'm floored that Wendy survived any of this; very undeserving. So disappointed...
    Spoiler: Yeah, that's one thing that bothered me about the ending. The one person who I felt any reason left to root for died. All the other main characters who have lost pretty much all likeability survived (and seemingly thrived).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Speaking generally, I liked that this show let certain people "thrive" despite their acts. This is a dark show and I think it falls in line that the one you root for doesn't always win; it's not a feel-good show. Also, speaking about one person's fate, after what they did, how did they expect to survive by living in the same place when a cartel is involved? In that situation you go on the run or you get a bad end. Would have been silly, IMO, if that person just was allowed to go about living their best life in the same town they've lived their whole life. Also, I wouldn't say the family lived happily ever after: To me, it was a case of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss." The new boss seemed much scarier than the old one.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Spoiler: I did like in the moment where Marty and Wendy realized they made the wrong choice after alllllll their last minute decisions; it finally caught up to them. Camila is a monster, so the juxtaposition between her and Omar is shocking in the sense that Omar has said he is not a monster when it came to killing children or even threatening them, so to see Camila not even flinch when she threatened Jonah and Charlotte was I think their final realization that they are never getting out. It is also muttered by the characters throughout the entire season, so you pretty much know it ain't going to happen.

There was definitely some lazy writing here though, and I took Ruth's ending as her knowing she wasn't just going to live a happy life either. When she starts seeing Wyatt and was daydreaming with all of her family that have passed, it seemed as if she wanted that more than anything; the building of what her and Wyatt dreamed of still seemed like a dream while it was happening.

Rachel keeps saying "Let's get out of here, start clean." Ruth would always turn it down even though she is already clean and has everything. When she was pulling up to her home, and sees the SUV parked, I said "Ruth is not this stupid." so that is where it was a bit uneven for me. But since Camila already knows she killed Javi, then she would just be on the run all the time anyway. Dark show, dark ending indeed, just think they could have executed it a bit better.

The whole Mel thing at the end felt tacked on

Oki, I'm done
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 05-03-2022 at 06:27 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Spoiler: I did like in the moment where Marty and Wendy realized they made the wrong choice after alllllll their last minute decisions; it finally caught up to them. Camila is a monster, so the juxtaposition between her and Omar is shocking in the sense that Omar has said he is not a monster when it came to killing children or even threatening them, so to see Camila not even flinch when she threatened Jonah and Charlotte was I think their final realization that they are never getting out. It is also muttered by the characters throughout the entire season, so you pretty much know it ain't going to happen.

There was definitely some lazy writing here though, and I took Ruth's ending as her knowing she wasn't just going to live a happy life either. When she starts seeing Wyatt and was daydreaming with all of her family that have passed, it seemed as if she wanted that more than anything; the building of what her and Wyatt dreamed of still seemed like a dream while it was happening.

Rachel keeps saying "Let's get out of here, start clean." Ruth would always turn it down even though she is already clean and has everything. When she was pulling up to her home, and sees the SUV parked, I said "Ruth is not this stupid." so that is where it was a bit uneven for me. But since Camila already knows she killed Javi, then she would just be on the run all the time anyway. Dark show, dark ending indeed, just think they could have executed it a bit better.

The whole Mel thing at the end felt tacked on

Oki, I'm done
    Agreed with everything you said.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Finished it last night. The ending was totally underwhelming.

Spoiler: While we know Ruth wasn't really going to get away from Camilla, I expected her death to be in a more dramatic fashion. This felt like they just needed to wrap this up quickly to make it within the hour time frame. I did appreciate the imagery that Ruth was wearing a white dress and Camilla was in all black.

My husband said one of the Byrdes should've died in the car crash, that would've made more sense/better fit for Jonah to kill Mel at the end - since Jonah was anti-family this whole time.
    Last edited by ickyvicky; 05-04-2022 at 08:56 AM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I’m reminded of the backlash Mass Effect 3 got because Shepard died. The game foreshadowed this multiple times yet people were still shocked and angry when it happened.

Spoiler: I don’t know how clearer they could’ve made it in telling you way in advance that Ruth wasn’t getting out alive. Her conversation with Killer Mike. Seeing Wyatt. Her conversations with Rachel, especially when Rachel suggested leaving. It was all there.

As I was telling some other people, I think the biggest weakness of this final season was the writers getting up their own asses about twists and turns when some straighter lines would’ve worked much better. And Mel fucking sucked as a character; just a paper thin stand in to achieve some unnecessary twists. The best stuff in the final season was the interactions between Wendy and Nathan. That was some good soup.

So did Ozark stick the landing? Not really. Was it Lost level bad? Definitely not.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Spoiler: People wishing Wendy to be dead is giving me the same vibes as people wishing Skyler from Breaking Bad to be dead. That wasn't the story.

One funny thing I read about people's opinion is "all Mel needed was a signature and he would've walked away!" lol

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Finished it last night. The ending was totally underwhelming.

Spoiler: While we know Ruth wasn't really going to get away from Camilla, I expected her death to be in a more dramatic fashion. This felt like they just needed to wrap this up quickly to make it within the hour time frame. I did appreciate the imagery that Ruth was wearing a white dress and Camilla was in all black.

My husband said one of the Byrdes should've died in the car crash, that would've made more sense/better fit for Jonah to kill Mel at the end - since Jonah was anti-family this whole time.
    Spoiler: Didn't even notice the imagery! Derp..

What bothered me was the gunshot followed by the blackout like we got with Jonah last season. There was so much speculation for who he supposedly shot, and it was pretty well done making the audience think he shot someone walking up to the house or whatever just to find out he only shot the windows out.

I feel they tried doing the same thing (Which was an odd choice regardless) thinking whether Jonah shot the Urn instead of Mel himself. Why would Mel even go there all alone knowing these people are dangerous with the only evidence that Ben was dead? He's supposed to be this great cop, but makes bone head decisions instead.

It felt like two written finales in one. The first half had everyone finally coming down on the Byrdes and was tired of their shit, so I was smirking so hard when everyone was pretty much working against them, and then it was slowly abandoned and everyone went back to the same crap. But I also see that as showing how these people aren't good people (Even Ruth, Rachel, and others) that they secretly love the life.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    My money is on them making a 2 hour movie after this...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Spoiler: ...... Camila is a monster, so the juxtaposition between her and Omar is shocking in the sense that Omar has said he is not a monster when it came to killing children or even threatening them, so to see Camila not even flinch when she threatened Jonah and Charlotte was I think their final realization that they are never getting out. It is also muttered by the characters throughout the entire season, so you pretty much know it ain't going to happen.

Oki, I'm done

Spoiler: I agree, we kept thinking Omar for all his savagery was pretty reasonable and was constantly getting the short end of everything Wendy and Marty would drag him into. Eliminating his lawyer, FBI in the mall, runway arrest, assassination attempt, and ultimately his final scene. Oddly enough out of everyone he's one of the people I feel most sympathetic about.

I didn't like Wendy's brother's storyline, to the point where I don't even remember his character's name. I felt like Wendy could have just taken iPads away from the children and knocked over Ruth's mailbox to generate the necessary dislike for her. I'm sure there's an official title/purpose for a role like his, but I will skip all of his scenes on the second watch.
    Last edited by ekrekel; 05-10-2022 at 05:09 PM.