Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2018.09.14 Phoenix, AZ @ Comerica Theatre

Phoenix, Night 2:

A post shared by on

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Well, that was amazing. Fucking amazing.

This was my first time on the floor for NIN and it did not disappoint. To see my favorite band from 20 feet away is something I will never forget.

Lol at Trent asking the crowd if the saxophone was "too much." He said something like, "People on the internet said it was too much." Ha! So...us, then, right?

Anyway, it was a great show. Shout out to my impromptu concert buddy who complimented me on my voice (wat) and was just generally cool and nice the whole show. That made the experience even better.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    https://imgur.com/gallery/MQMteag
    Setlist

Short clip of the sax! https://www.instagram.com/p/BnvNxAbl...d=4qmujt8sk0wu

It was so cool to see him do that. Once again, I really feel like I got the chance to participate in a really special unique show. I'm so glad I made the trip!

I'm so tired from two days sitting in 100 degree weather all day, so I'll post comments later!
    Last edited by sinspots; 09-15-2018 at 02:14 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Can we talk about how weak the pit was both nights? I was in there tonight and it's the weakest pit I've ever been in for NIN and confirmed a TON of my prejudices about my fellow Phoenicians.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I was actually relieved as I didn't feel like getting clobbered. I loved it. I saw a small pit start up a couple times pretty close to me but I easily avoided it. *shrug*

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeninphoenix View Post
    Can we talk about how weak the pit was both nights? I was in there tonight and it's the weakest pit I've ever been in for NIN and confirmed a TON of my prejudices about my fellow Phoenicians.

I’ll agree it was weak on Friday night, but you’re damn wrong about Thursday - it was going crazy that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Okay, I have had a little time, so here goes. Some of this is probably not interesting (mainly the venue part) but it may be helpful to someone in the future if there is another one there, so I include it.

The venue, Comerica Theater: For lining up early, there are shade areas outside, and the theater would not let us wait in the lobby. We asked because it was highs of 105-108 those days. On a call to the theater before that day, the venue said they could not let us in the lobby early because the band would not allow it as they may sometimes be in the space. Next door was a courthouse, which meant public bathrooms and water fountains, which required a walk through a metal detector. Clearance lawn chairs available at nearby target. Cheap $3 umbrellas (for shade) at Walmart, which came in handy about 4pm when the barricades were up and we had to stand in the line, which had no shade.

Around that same time, the venue put out containers with small water bottles. The best was that they allowed us to take them in, if they were sealed. Some people took in a gallon jug of water, sealed. HUGE plus to be able to take sealed water bottles in. This is the first concert I can remember that allowed this. Especially on front rail, where we are not leaving our spot, so we are without drinks unless they serve it up there in the line (only place I've seen that is Hard Rock's $8 small water bottles) or we can bring it in (because we can't leave the spot to buy it). The venue seemed smart in this regard and didn't want any medical issues and apparently thought it was better to allow people to bring in water than be carted out by an ambulance. While this may seem like common sense, it's rare thinking by a venue.

For restrooms, once the courthouse closed at 5pm, there was no reasonable distance place to go between 5 and 6. For rail standing, really the goal is to go as close to doors as possible, so that was an issue. We asked after 5pm if they'd let one at a time use the lobby restroom but they would not. Security was generally good -- no one telling us to leave. One really nice security guard did spend quite a bit of time warning us of the dangers of heat stroke, to drink a lot, eat small meals frequently, etc. Lawn chairs allowed.

Day #1 after metal scanners, those making it through, ran to a door to have tickets scanned, then to a table of people with wristbands. Some banded people faster than others. Then we could go right or left to get in to the venue (day 1), and we went right per some recommendations. There was bad coordination as to the right and left doors. One door can open much sooner. Day 2 we were aware of the issue, so we sent two left and two right. The two left were already at the rail when the two right walked in the room.

At rail, pre-concert: Not many people there shortly after we hit the rail. Only a few in a second row behind us. They were nice and didn't mind if we used the restroom/or bought gear. That was super cool. Have never left the rail like that before.

The concert: Mr. Self Destruct. I can say this one totally messed with me and made it hard to think. At around "you let me do this to you," he did this intense staring thing (such a beautiful thing). I swear I got a good 10 seconds of that right at me, but you know... it was probably the person next to or behind me (or maybe not even close) but I tell you I'd trade just about anything to get another 10 seconds of that . It looked like he sort of went down the front doing that to several people going to my right. So, after that it was just hard to think for a while. The only other time I felt I experienced a direct look was back at one in 2013 (Even Deeper), even if it existed in my own head (most likely), whatever, it was great. Then into Piggy. Of course after Broken the night before I am praying for DS, but that wasn't meant to be.

Frail, Wretched, Less Than, March were great, as usual. The crowd wasn't as rough as some other concerts during March so that was good for my physical comfort. Closer was absolutely terrific--I LOVE the minimal (if that is the right term) set, lights, etc. While 2013/14 was some really impressive lights, I really prefer just seeing Trent sing Closer, clearly, unobstructed by screens/lights, etc. This was fantastic.

My clear favorite parts were GBDTD and Over and Out. I've been hoping for Over and Out because it is my fav off Bad Witch (I see it, like While I am Still Here in a way, as being about life and getting old, and it's all going to end and there's nothing we can do; it's sad thinking about leaving your kids/family someday). It was great in concert! And his voice at the start of it ("Time is running out")--that is just incredible and I really want more of that. But the sax -- wow that blew me away and was phenomenal! I really hope he does the sax again at other concerts (please please at NOLA and Vegas!!). And when he asked (not exactly) what we thought about it---it was really cool seeing a somewhat less than secure or certain side to him, looking for direct feedback from us. It makes him seem more human and a tiny bit less like a perfect idol up on a pedestal, for lack of a better phrase (yes, I know if I see him that way that is my own fault and that it is not healthy -.- ).

Getting to Head Like a Hole was weird for me. Day #1 when Hand That Feeds came on I think I whispered to the person next to me that I hate hearing it-- this was my 25th NIN concert and Hand that Feeds is always the signal that the end is near. I love the song (such great energy in concert and is always excellent) but I just hate knowing it's going to end soon! I think I try to ignore the concept of time while at a concert, so I don't want that signal. For me, psychologically, it'd be super weird to hear Hand That Feeds early in the set! So, obviously in this concert Head Like a Hole was that time trigger.

A Warm Place was great (lights were just right and not overbearing in any way). I haven't heard Eraser that many times in concert so that feels unique with a really high energy---loved it! Hurt: sometimes I think it may be nice to hear something different than Hurt at the end but it is just so emotionally draining and powerful, and it's like I can feel "more" because of it. It was a perfect end. I thought Vegas would be impossible to top, but I was wrong.
    Last edited by sinspots; 09-18-2018 at 01:07 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Oh totally forgot to mention this fun fact: I ran into Ilan after the show! I was the last person at the merch booth after the show and he was in the lobby. I didn't want to be weird so I just told him it was nice to see him again (got a pic with him in Vegas). He was very polite and said "Same to you" and I waved goodbye and ran to my dinner with friends.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    over & out is stunning live. listening to it yesterday hit hard as a friend about my age died sunday night. think david bowie is smiling about that song, wherever he is now. my favorite off the 3 EPs.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinspots View Post
    At around "you let me do this to you," he did this intense staring thing (such a beautiful thing). I swear I got a good 10 seconds of that right at me, but you know... it was probably the person next to or behind me (or maybe not even close) but I tell you I'd trade just about anything to get another 10 seconds of that . It looked like he sort of went down the front doing that to several people going to my right. So, after that it was just hard to think for a while.
    Judging by this, and some of the other info you provided, I think I was standing behind you. : ) I got the same "is he looking at me?!" feeling at that point, and I couldn't hold his gaze more than a few seconds -- it was such an intense stare, it felt like he was staring directly at my soul... in an uncomfortable way. Haha.

I don't have a lot to add. I got very excited when they went into Piggy, as well, but knew they likely were not going to do a full album two nights in a row, in Phoenix of all places. Highlights for me were Mr. Self Destruct, A Warm Place, and Eraser. I had never gotten Mr. Self Destruct live before, so that was a biggie for me. I wish people would shut the hell up during A Warm Place, though.

Two great nights, back to back. Makes me very excited for my New Orleans and Los Angeles dates.

This was me and my friend there that night, just before NIN went on, I think.

Mr. Self Destruct -

From God Break Down The Door or Over And Out, but I don't remember which for sure:

Reptile:

Oh, and one thing I almost forgot. Phoenix is a pretty lax place to see shows, I feel. Besides how close it is for me to get here, it's one of the main reasons I chose to make these shows over others. I don't live here, but I've been to my fair share out here in the last 15 years. We drove by the venue around 3 to see what the line was like, and save for just a few people, it was pretty much dead. I posted in the other thread about night one that my friend and I only showed up at 7, missed all of Tobacco while we got merch and drinks, didn't even get down on the floor until about 730ish, and we still got a good spot six or so people back from middle of the stage. Even on night two - a Friday night, and with all the chatter there was about the epic show they had put on there just the night before - we got there about 10 til 6, just before the doors opened, maybe 50 other people were there already ahead of us, and we were one back from the rail, dead center that night. Just food for thought for people seeing shows here in the future...
    Last edited by magnolia; 09-18-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: last thoughts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    Judging by this, and some of the other info you provided, I think I was standing behind you. : )
    Yes you were! I think your vid shows my head and one of the twins. And yes, your vid shows the staring (@2:35ish+). Really nice vid. Thanks so much for catching that -- this will be a great memory! I didn't watch it all--hopefully I'm not screaming crazy too much in it. Again, appreciate you guys letting us back to our spots to get merch/use restrooms.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinspots View Post
    Yes you were! I think your vid shows my head and one of the twins. And yes, your vid shows the staring (@2:35ish+). Really nice vid. Thanks so much for catching that -- this will be a great memory! I didn't watch it all--hopefully I'm not screaming crazy too much in it. Again, appreciate you guys letting us back to our spots to get merch/use restrooms.
    Nah, you weren't! I think it's my crazy screaming that can be heard in the video most. And no problem on the getting back and forth - it's totally understandable someone has been waiting all day for their spot, but also would like to use the damn bathroom! I get it. Hope to see you at one of the later dates!