Page 36 of 81 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 2415

Thread: COLD and BLACK and INFINITE - The Fall 2018 NIN Tour SPOILERS THREAD

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Maybe even let the other band headline.
    Yeah. No. The crowd at the Austin NINJA tourstop i went to was absolutely the worst crowd I've ever seen. Trent even agreed as he tweeted and posted on ninforums about how emotionless they were. Seeing someone perform after NIN just doesn't feel right.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    First of all, my post wasn’t just about diversity, but more about how I felt like an alien in general at the concert. But i’ll go ahead and respond to that because I think it’s important.

Nobody is speaking “on behalf of minorities.” I wouldn’t dare to do that, it’s not my place. But as a white guy it actually is very appropriate and useful for me to say, “wow, everyone here looks alike. Why?” Diversity isn’t about someone begging to be let in, it’s also about feeling invited. That’s just being a good ally to people of color.

I should add that I am highly conscious of this because my wife is not white and she felt extremely uncomfortable at the show, especially in the times we are living in where people want to imprison and deport people of color, being at a concert with a sea of aggressive white dudes and her feeling like she is really sticking out.

It doesn’t mean anyone is doing something wrong being there. No one needs to feel guilt or feel defensive. Trent is singling from his life experience as a white guy and white guys are more naturally going to be drawn to that. BUT there may be more that we can all do to make all kinds of people more interested in NIN. Not only black people, but Asian, LatinX, younger people, people who are normally more into other genres. I think NIN is so good, their music ranges so widely - I mean Hesitation Marks, without the lyrics, is mostly a hip hop album. Listen to Satallite, Running, Came Back Haunted and many other tracks. He used a Maschine to create the beats and rappers use that tool a lot as well.

Nothing wrong with being a white dude who is there to rock his face off, but everything right with having more diversity there in the crowd, in every sense of that word.

I’d love to look around and see young black and Korean college kids there, Latina women, people all dressed up in crazy outfits like they did back in the day at Marilyn Manson concerts, some dudes with silly man buns, maybe some women wearing hijab, I mean basically the diversity I see everyday walking around Atlanta. I’d love to see all that up in a NIN concert. That would really make it feel like home. I know that sounds crazy but I see that at the gym, at work, why not at a concert?

I know it may sound idealistic, but it’s only by envisioning what could be that we can change what is.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slammy79 View Post
    I'd be 100% in favor of a NIN/Childish Gambino tour.
    I could very easily see a NIN/Run the Jewels co-headline arena tour in the next few years if they continue to get bigger and bigger as it seems like they might. Considering the relationship Trent & El-P have, it makes sense on alot of levels.

My dream co-headline was NIN/M83, but after M83's last album sucked majorly, they did not progress in venue capacity like I thought they might.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    First of all, my post wasn’t just about diversity, but more about how I felt like an alien in general at the concert. But i’ll go ahead and respond to that because I think it’s important.

Nobody is speaking “on behalf of minorities.” I wouldn’t dare to do that, it’s not my place. But as a white guy it actually is very appropriate and useful for me to say, “wow, everyone here looks alike. Why?” Diversity isn’t about someone begging to be let in, it’s also about feeling invited. That’s just being a good ally to people of color.

I should add that I am highly conscious of this because my wife is not white and she felt extremely uncomfortable at the show, especially in the times we are living in where people want to imprison and deport people of color, being at a concert with a sea of aggressive white dudes and her feeling like she is really sticking out.

It doesn’t mean anyone is doing something wrong being there. No one needs to feel guilt or feel defensive. Trent is singling from his life experience as a white guy and white guys are more naturally going to be drawn to that. BUT there may be more that we can all do to make all kinds of people more interested in NIN. Not only black people, but Asian, LatinX, younger people, people who are normally more into other genres. I think NIN is so good, their music ranges so widely - I mean Hesitation Marks, without the lyrics, is mostly a hip hop album. Listen to Satallite, Running, Came Back Haunted and many other tracks. He used a Maschine to create the beats and rappers use that tool a lot as well.

Nothing wrong with being a white dude who is there to rock his face off, but everything right with having more diversity there in the crowd, in every sense of that word.

I’d love to look around and see young black and Korean college kids there, Latina women, people all dressed up in crazy outfits like they did back in the day at Marilyn Manson concerts, some dudes with silly man buns, maybe some women wearing hijab, I mean basically the diversity I see everyday walking around Atlanta. I’d love to see all that up in a NIN concert. That would really make it feel like home. I know that sounds crazy but I see that at the gym, at work, why not at a concert?

I know it may sound idealistic, but it’s only by envisioning what could be that we can change what is.
    NIN would have to be far far more HYPE to ever achieve what you want and I just can’t see that ever happening since Trent seems to be constantly in this refusal to engage in any proper marketing mode. Look at all the hip hop acts and the musical ‘features’. Trent has just steadfastly refused to go down that route. What can you do?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    maybe some women wearing hijab.
    "God is dead, and no one cares." Think about the self-selection you're not taking into account.

Anyway, what's slightly confusing is how self-conscious some are seeming to be. Historically, I've actually been fascinated by the 'diversity' at NIN shows compared to other 'rock' shows, and I actually make a point of this when I tell my friends about the fan base. This could be because I've primarily only seen NIN in the NY/NJ area, which is densely populated and diverse to begin with, but at every NYC-area show I see: Hispanic Hot Topic nu-metalers, white denim-clad bearded bros, black dudes with long dreads, puffed-up 'guidos' with beers (always interesting). If you're curious, I'm white/Mediterranean and I went w/ one of my best friends (who is black/Hispanic) to Kings Night 2. He's always dug NIN. NIN's sound is going to self-select for those with an ear for either aggressive tones or seductive grooves/beats, and TR's lyrics appeal to those who feel disaffected and alienated and contemplative about either grounded things like a broken heart/authority or esoteric things like one's place in society/the world. His delivery and topics are like a net, and he catches who he catches. I can understand if the very religious or very conservative are turned off by the lyrics (fun!). Aside from perhaps the clear and present and necessary rejects (Trump himself, neo-Nazis, people who throw full cups of beer, etc.), no one is actively being excluded at or ostracized at NIN shows.

I think it's shallow to 'wish' for 'more diversity' at NIN shows for the sake of it. To what end? To show solidarity and promote more diversity at NIN shows? Sounds self-fulfilling and like fake racial progress.
    Last edited by joplinpicasso; 10-19-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    "God is dead, and no one cares." Think about the self-selection you're not taking into account.
    There are plenty of NIN fans of faith. We even have a religion thread on this board.

Although I see a fun side-thread here with NIN lyrics!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    There are plenty of NIN fans of faith. We even have a religion thread on this board.

Although I see a fun side-thread here with NIN lyrics!
    As someone not of any faith, I do think that's pretty cool! I'm just thinking about what might statistically turn people off to the music (the music and lyrics themselves) and self-select for others.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Yeah I actually believe in God. Trent has been in a lot of places on this. From Terrible Lie to Heresy to Find My Way to Ahead of Ourselves to God Break Down the Door.

Sure, hearing some songs might turn some people off. That’s true. But not everyone.

As to the other post about diversity for its own sake, I guess I’m not sure what bad about that. I think diversity makes us all better. I think we lose something when we stick with our tribe.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Slightly on topic as far as feeling awkward / sticking out in the crowd...I never felt more out of place than 2004 at a Skinny Puppy show in Boston in July. I went to see Tweaker open, left after their set, and then hopped on the T (Boston) to go see Mellowdrone in Cambridge. I swear everyone except me was dressed in the typical goth garb and then there was me in a polo shirt, cargo shorts, and a baseball caps. People must have thought I was a narc or something. I always say if there was an overhead pic of the crowd, finding me would be a "Where's Waldo" for beginners. I felt very out of place lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Might be reposting but didn't see it while skimming the last 10 pages // badass full set sound and picture.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    The crowd around me at the Kings Theatre shows was diverse in every way...age, gender and ethnicity. Was really nice to see, but I've def. seen it before at NIN shows.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

The last NIN show I went to was actually like that. I don't know what the culture is like in Atlanta as I've never been there, but I'm in Austin, and just about every show I've ever been to was incredibly diverse. Well, except for a Tool show around 2010. It was an almost entirely latino audience. That was unexpected, but not unwelcome.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Good to hear about other cities. Maybe it’s just ATL?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Set is an exact copy of Red Rocks night 2 so far, with The Good Soldier subbed in for The Background World.

Hoping that means something special will be pulled out for the encore.
    Last edited by Esperanzan; 10-19-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esperanzan View Post
    Set is an exact copy of Red Rocks night 2 so far, with The Good Soldier subbed in for The Background World.

Hoping that means something special will be pulled out for the encore.
    Whats crazy is that show was exactly one month ago.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    It’s a real shame that She’s Gone Away got abandoned after that one performance last year. Especially with all the response it got on Twin Peaks I expected that to become a regular NTAE track live and I think it’d segue wonderfully into or out of Reptile.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Agreed. With it being written for Twin Peaks, a show that has clearly been a major influence on Trent, and used in what was hailed as one of the best ever episodes of a television show, I too figured that he would be eager to bust it out at least semi-regularly. Like myself and others have speculated before, it's probably like when they first played Heresy on Self-Destruct and abandoned it soon after - they felt something about how it translated live wasn't working. I hope they try it again sometime!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    ANyone else think one of the fucking SIX LA shows is going to just be Broken then TDS, no breaks?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I don't think they'd do Broken AND TDS in a show. But I definitely think that a TDS show is possible - especially on that last LA night.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    They definitely seem to be working toward something with all the Downward Spiral tracks that have surfaced on this tour. All they need to learn at this point are Heresy, Ruiner, Big Man With A Gun, and the title track.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    You can tell the hardcore fans from the casual fan just by reactions in the audience for certain songs. First few notes of songs like 'Perfect Drug' or 'Mr Self Destruct' or 'Somewhat Damaged' and the hardcore fans are the ones going apeshit while the casual fan stands around with a confused look on their faces.
    I seriously didn't even think that was possible, considering how Mr Self Destruct and Somewhat Damaged came from The Downward Spiral and The Fragile. But yes, I've sometimes noticed that as well, as I also checked to see the reactions among fans whenever I attended a NIN show or just watched videos of NIN concerts, but more with non-album songs, or songs from Still or anything beyond With Teeth.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-20-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    It was so funny to watch all the Soundgarden fans’ reactions to The Great Destroyer a few years back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    It was so funny to watch all the Soundgarden fans’ reactions to The Great Destroyer a few years back.
    I'm a huge Soundgarden fan. My three favorite groups are probably NIN, Tool, and Soundgarden. I couldn't believe it when that tour was announced. I had a great time at the show, as did my friends who also liked both groups a lot. I'm sure some of the Soundgarden fans were not so into that tune, but many of us loved all of it.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    It wasn’t even that they hated it (I’m sure some did) but they weren’t prepared for the glitch noise destruction at the end. I saw quite a few “What the fuck is happening right now” faces.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I seriously didn't even think that was possible, considering how Mr Self Destruct and Somewhat Damaged came from The Downward Spiral and The Fragile. But yes, I've sometimes noticed that as well, as I also checked to see the reactions among fans whenever I attended a NIN show or just watched videos of NIN concerts, but more with non-album songs, or songs from Still or anything beyond With Teeth.
    A lot of the casual fans for TDS seem to only know 'Hurt' "MOTP" and "Closer".....And Fragile weeded a lot of the casual fans out so my guess is most of those "fans" don't recognize anything from Fragile outside of 'Starfuckers'......This tour seems to be catered to the hardcore fans with the exception of THTF still being played. I guess he has to make some concessions to the casual fans
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 10-20-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I’m like 80% sure the little kiddo on stage helping the guitar tech is Lazarus Reznor. He’s adorable and looks so much like his dad.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Nevermind. Sure it was a mistake.
    Last edited by m0reta; 10-20-2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: hur dur

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I like that year zero got some love last night. Where’s the recording of Me, I’m not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I've been wondering if it really is cornstarch on Trent and Atticus' clothing during some recent shows or if it's just a cool design thing going on. Looks like it really is cornstarch which is cool to see since it's been years since they went with that. Not as heavy as it used to be though which is why I was wondering.

Last edited by nooneimportant; 10-21-2018 at 04:56 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    It’s corn starch. It wears off over the course of the show.