Page 75 of 81 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2404

Thread: COLD and BLACK and INFINITE - The Fall 2018 NIN Tour SPOILERS THREAD

  1. #2221
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is random, but the other day I randomly imagined a wild left-field set opening with "Beside You in Time", maybe with it segueing into "Somewhat Damaged". It worked well in my head.

  2. #2222
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loopcloses View Post
    This is random, but the other day I randomly imagined a wild left-field set opening with "Beside You in Time", maybe with it segueing into "Somewhat Damaged". It worked well in my head.
    Well, it could work.

  3. #2223
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,786
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    What’s the best video of the big come down from this tour?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #2224
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    5,071
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    What’s the best video of the big come down from this tour?
    I nominate this one from Atlanta; slightly rough audio, but you can pretty much see what everybody is doing:


  5. #2225
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    7,643
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    I would love to get a HTDA mini set in a show. Their first EP is some of my favorite music made by Trent after the 90s.
    agreed.
    I like the first ep a whole hell of a lot more than Hesitation Marks, for instance. And I like HM quite a bit.

    For fuck's sake, the band is Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, with a different singer. It's odd to me that any NIN fan wouldn't love it: like really seriously weird.

  6. #2226
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Portland, Ore
    Posts
    1,036
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    agreed.
    I like the first ep a whole hell of a lot more than Hesitation Marks, for instance. And I like HM quite a bit.

    For fuck's sake, the band is Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, with a different singer. It's odd to me that any NIN fan wouldn't love it: like really seriously weird.
    I guess i'm really weird then. I tried to get into them, i really did but I just couldn't get into the sound. It just wasn't for me.

  7. #2227
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,117
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I'm kinda with @Dryalex12 as I'm not a huge HTDA fan. I don't hate it, just get a bit bored after a while. I did like HTDA's first EP, especially The Space In Between (which they should have played live), but I felt Welcome Oblivion was hit or miss. I honestly didn't see the need to even make it a side project as it doesn't sound that much different from Trent and Atticus' work from that period. It doesn't sound that different in style from Year Zero or even Hesitation Marks.

    I wasn't a huge fan of the post-With Teeth era of NIN including HTDA in that era. Ghosts and the movie scores were cool, but I only like a handful of songs from Year Zero, The Slip, Hesitation Marks, Omen EP, Welcome Oblivion, etc. The trilogy, especially Not The Actual Events, was the first time since With Teeth I was excited by a NIN release. But hey, that's me. Trent has never released a bad album, but certain ones just didn't keep me enthralled from beginning to end and I tend to skip tracks on the ones mentioned. But I can put on Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, With Teeth any day of the week and listen to them all of the way through. Some things about those albums just connect with me.

    I kinda missed when Trent mixed up live instruments and live drums with electronics. Year Zero and so on got very electronic sounding (and I love electronic music), but it became a bit samey sounding after a while. I missed some of the live percussion that would come in and think that's what's missing on albums like Year Zero or Welcome Oblivion or Hesitation Marks. I prefer the live versions of tracks from these albums with the full live band. I'd give anything for a studio version of In Two the way it sounded and was performed with the Tension live band. From Year Zero on, things started to get a bit more artificial sounding and I dunno why, because I love electronic music, but it lost me a little bit.

    I'm happy we got the trilogy. A smile broke across my face when I first heard Not The Actual Events. I couldn't control my glee. That hasn't happen to me since With Teeth. I put it up there with The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, Broken, With Teeth, Pretty Hate Machine.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-17-2018 at 01:12 PM.

  8. #2228
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,455
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tour thoughts: Fucking incredible. I've seen shows from 7 or 8 tours going back to 2000 and this was by far the best, even better than Wave Goodbye. Yes, the WG sets were varied and vast but the line-up was missing something. Trent, Atticus, Robin, Alessandro, Ilan is my favorite version of the band and I hope there are no lineup changes from here on out barring any milkshake duck situations. I know many others have said it already but I'll say it again: to be almost 30 (!!!) years into the band and for it to still feel fresh and exciting and relevant is seriously impressive. I'm very thankful to have had the chance to see multiple shows and each one felt different and exciting. On the off-chance Teitan or anyone else in the band reads this: thank you for a fucking amazing set of shows.

    HTDA thoughts: First off, I love the HTDA music. I saw them in 2013 and I'll go see them again if they tour. I'm really excited for new material and the fact they took time to rehearse that much material seems promising.

    My personal taste aside, you get what the band decides to give you. If you bought tickets to any one of these shows and didn't expect a better than 50% chance you might see some HTDA songs with Mariqueen...then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not saying you have to like them but to bitch about as if you're missing out of something owed to you...that's not a good take. Personally I don't care for Dead Souls and I wasn't particularly enthused about the Bowie covers but I know, especially in this new era of expanded set lists, that they might pop up here and there. Roll with it. And before anyone gets their underwear in a wad this wasn't directed at anyone in particular. But one sure fire way to sour what seems like a pretty upbeat mood post-tour is for TR to log on here and read some of the bullshit up above. None of us want that.

    Carry on.

  9. #2229
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    5,071
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Remember kids, it's Christmastime, no more moaning about setlists or Santa won't leave soundboards in your stocking!

  10. #2230
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    BFE Tennessee
    Posts
    1,459
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I was so happy to get to experience 5 shows on this tour, and 7 since the 2007 run. Best run of shows I've seen by any band ever. Well, maybe tied with Dillinger for their last touring cycle, that too was nuts.

  11. #2231
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    813
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Remember kids, it's Christmastime, no more moaning about setlists or Santa won't leave soundboards in your stocking!
    Honestly, there shouldn’t be any setlist complaints! This has been the best run of shows I’ve experienced yet— the variety and energy is something that I’ve always wanted as a fan that attends multiple shows. I hope other bands that I like that were in attendance are taking notes from NIN on how to structure a fresh set.

  12. #2232
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I'm kinda with @Dryalex12 as I'm not a huge HTDA fan. I don't hate it, just get a bit bored after a while. I did like HTDA's first EP, especially The Space In Between (which they should have played live), but I felt Welcome Oblivion was hit or miss. I honestly didn't see the need to even make it a side project as it doesn't sound that much different from Trent and Atticus' work from that period. It doesn't sound that different in style from Year Zero or even Hesitation Marks.

    I wasn't a huge fan of the post-With Teeth era of NIN including HTDA in that era. Ghosts and the movie scores were cool, but I only like a handful of songs from Year Zero, The Slip, Hesitation Marks, Omen EP, Welcome Oblivion, etc. The trilogy, especially Not The Actual Events, was the first time since With Teeth I was excited by a NIN release. But hey, that's me. Trent has never released a bad album, but certain ones just didn't keep me enthralled from beginning to end and I tend to skip tracks on the ones mentioned. But I can put on Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, With Teeth any day of the week and listen to them all of the way through. Some things about those albums just connect with me.

    I kinda missed when Trent mixed up live instruments and live drums with electronics. Year Zero and so on got very electronic sounding (and I love electronic music), but it became a bit samey sounding after a while. I missed some of the live percussion that would come in and think that's what's missing on albums like Year Zero or Welcome Oblivion or Hesitation Marks. I prefer the live versions of tracks from these albums with the full live band. I'd give anything for a studio version of In Two the way it sounded and was performed with the Tension live band. From Year Zero on, things started to get a bit more artificial sounding and I dunno why, because I love electronic music, but it lost me a little bit.

    I'm happy we got the trilogy. A smile broke across my face when I first heard Not The Actual Events. I couldn't control my glee. That hasn't happen to me since With Teeth. I put it up there with The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, Broken, With Teeth, Pretty Hate Machine.
    Wow, I completely agree with everything.

  13. #2233
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,567
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I wasn't lucky enough to have gone to 5, 6, or 7 shows like many of you, but I do feel lucky as hell to have experienced the two AMAZING shows I was fortunate enough to attend. I've said it several times in other threads, but between the two shows I attended, there were only six songs played at both shows and I got to see several of my favorite songs for the first time, including the priceless experience of witnessing the live debut of AATCHB. They were easily among the best concerts I've ever seen (and I go to a lot shows).

  14. #2234
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Panel K, Simulation
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I went to my first concert of any kind in almost twenty years to see them in ATL. I don’t care about going to concerts. The people ruin the experience for me. I just care about the music. But I stood in line for hours and bought my ticket and I am so glad I saw them on night 2. What a great tour. I would change anything about any of it. The way we had to buy the tickets, the smaller venues, the set lists, I think it was all great. In the future we might look back at this as the good old days.

  15. #2235
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    This is very cool! What I was thinking with the ordering would be you have this one song that's very spacey, with a bit of an ethereal quality, that's almost entirely build-up and tension, acting as sort of a prologue to the night ahead, and the the droning synth 8ths at the end aren't dissimilar from the live Somewhat Damaged intro, which of course explodes and launches the audience into the rest of the set.

    I love experimenting with weird track sequences and seeing how the rhythm and pace of the tracklist/setlist changes, and one of my favorite things I don't see as much as I'd like is weird openers that throw you for a loop from what you're expecting and that has a sort of sonic disconnect but thematic tie to everything that follows. Like "Now I'm Nothing". Doesn't sound much like any recorded NIN song I can think of and it's likely that much of the crowd in attendance doesn't know it even if they own all the records, but then it leads seamlessly into Terrible Lie.

  16. #2236
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,156
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    for anyone into technical production details (all 3 of you)...

    https://www.livedesignonline.com/con...-infinite-tour

  17. #2237
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    1,329
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Dear teitan,

    For xmas this year, I would like a nice crystal clear SBD recording in lossless format of the December 11 show (1989-1994 setlist)
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell; 12-18-2018 at 12:44 AM.

  18. #2238
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    5,071
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    for anyone into technical production details (all 3 of you)...

    https://www.livedesignonline.com/con...-infinite-tour
    I had all these plots saved to my phone for months, LOL. It's actually a fairly restrained setup, by NIN's standards, and yet the programming/design possibilities were quite broad and really effectively used throughout the tour. Even without teh LASERS y'all got to see in L.A.!

  19. #2239
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Misery State
    Posts
    501
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Remember kids, it's Christmastime, no more moaning about setlists or Santa won't leave soundboards in your stocking!
    Dear Santa,

    I know that there are lots of assholes here(!), but most of us have been good ALL YEAR.

    All I want for Christmas is some DE Year Zero.

    PLEASE SANTA.

  20. #2240
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,433
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Remember kids, it's Christmastime, no more moaning about setlists or Santa won't leave soundboards in your stocking!
    your stocking is big enough that a soundboard will fit in it? damn.

  21. #2241
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SF, SD
    Posts
    2,532
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I wasn't lucky enough to have gone to 5, 6, or 7 shows like many of you, but I do feel lucky as hell to have experienced the two AMAZING shows I was fortunate enough to attend. I've said it several times in other threads, but between the two shows I attended, there were only six songs played at both shows and I got to see several of my favorite songs for the first time, including the priceless experience of witnessing the live debut of AATCHB. They were easily among the best concerts I've ever seen (and I go to a lot shows).
    Aragon Nite 2 was the best concert I have ever been to, period. And I also go to alot of shows.

    From waiting in line for 3 hours, actually getting the foil print I wanted, the DECIMATING setlist I never would even DARED to dream up. The venue itself, AND ALL THAT COULD HAVE BEEN, getting a killer tape in a venue that is notorious for shitty acoustics. I could go on and on.

    I still haven't fully processed it, it was that good.

  22. #2242
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    crossfading

    Quote Originally Posted by loopcloses View Post
    This is very cool! What I was thinking with the ordering would be you have this one song that's very spacey, with a bit of an ethereal quality, that's almost entirely build-up and tension, acting as sort of a prologue to the night ahead, and the the droning synth 8ths at the end aren't dissimilar from the live Somewhat Damaged intro, which of course explodes and launches the audience into the rest of the set.

    I love experimenting with weird track sequences and seeing how the rhythm and pace of the tracklist/setlist changes, and one of my favorite things I don't see as much as I'd like is weird openers that throw you for a loop from what you're expecting and that has a sort of sonic disconnect but thematic tie to everything that follows. Like "Now I'm Nothing". Doesn't sound much like any recorded NIN song I can think of and it's likely that much of the crowd in attendance doesn't know it even if they own all the records, but then it leads seamlessly into Terrible Lie.

    Dude I was already right on board with you before I even read this reply. I had the same idea in mind about the outro to BYIT and the synth notes at the beginning of the live Somewhat Damaged once you mentioned it in your initial post!

  23. #2243
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    5,071
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    your stocking is big enough that a soundboard will fit in it? damn.
    You know what they say. Big feet, big... thirst for soundboards.

  24. #2244
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    5,675
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Remember kids, it's Christmastime, no more moaning about setlists or Santa won't leave soundboards in your stocking!
    Between both Mexico shows i got to hear live: "Mr Self Destruct", "Reptile", "The Perfect Drug", "I'm Afraid of Americans", "Happiness in Slavery" and "Even Deeper" (among many other awesome songs...)

    No complaints from me!

  25. #2245
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    BFE Tennessee
    Posts
    1,459
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The only mild complaint i had was how similar Night 1 in Irving was to the San Antonio show. Throwing in ATLITW, Over and Out, and This Isn't the Place was awesome, not gonna lie, but REALLY wanted to see Last or Now I'm Nothing as the opener as opposed to Mr. Self Destruct.

  26. #2246
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A warm place
    Posts
    1,437
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Both DC shows and Chicago night 2 blew away anything from the six LA shows. Be sorry you missed those if you did..

  27. #2247
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,903
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I had all these plots saved to my phone for months, LOL. It's actually a fairly restrained setup, by NIN's standards, and yet the programming/design possibilities were quite broad and really effectively used throughout the tour. Even without teh LASERS y'all got to see in L.A.!
    Yeah, that link was posted some time back. Still fun to look at though.

    Cooy of a looked great on this tour, loved what they did with the scrolling shadows. They really did the most with the least IMHO, and the stobes were fantastic.

    As for “TEH LAYYYY-ZORSSS!!!”... not sure how I feel about NIN using it. I fully understand Tool neither invented lasers nor were the first band to use them, but I always associate the use of lasers with Tool shows since they incorporate them so well within their production. No need for the nut job Tool fans to scream “Trent stole Tool’s lighting!!!”. The other thing is SO many bands are using them these days too so it’s not quite as “special” seeing as it was some years ago. If Trent decides to do another high production tour I’m curious to see if he puts them in. Also weird that they were only used in LA. From my understanding there are actual “laser techs” involved with lighting, which would add to the crew.

  28. #2248
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    LIC, NY
    Posts
    1,285
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Yeah, that link was posted some time back. Still fun to look at though.

    Cooy of a looked great on this tour, loved what they did with the scrolling shadows. They really did the most with the least IMHO, and the stobes were fantastic.

    As for “TEH LAYYYY-ZORSSS!!!”... not sure how I feel about NIN using it. I fully understand Tool neither invented lasers nor were the first band to use them, but I always associate the use of lasers with Tool shows since they incorporate them so well within their production. No need for the nut job Tool fans to scream “Trent stole Tool’s lighting!!!”. The other thing is SO many bands are using them these days too so it’s not quite as “special” seeing as it was some years ago. If Trent decides to do another high production tour I’m curious to see if he puts them in. Also weird that they were only used in LA. From my understanding there are actual “laser techs” involved with lighting, which would add to the crew.
    The lasers I could take or leave, but the NIN Christmas logo...?

  29. #2249
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,903
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    The lasers I could take or leave, but the NIN Christmas logo...?
    Say who what and where???...

  30. #2250
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    A Warm Place
    Posts
    530
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Say who what and where???...
    Say no more fam!

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions