Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2415

Thread: COLD and BLACK and INFINITE - The Fall 2018 NIN Tour SPOILERS THREAD

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    Rewatching AVOTT today and it’s amazing how much better NIN sounds nowadays.

I know LITS is legendary but Trent’s voice is fucked and the band doesn’t seem to have the energy they do on this tour.
    Agreed about Trent’s voice (maybe not necessarily the energy though- different setlist, high production, and most of the band members have similar energy). Loved LITS but have a hard time going back to listen to it, would have been better if he cancelled some shows for a couple weeks or so. His voice never recovered and you could even hear it into the 2009 shows which started shortly after LITS ended.

With that hat being said his voice sounds the best since probably pre WT days. Wonder if he’s doing something different or had a “coach” or something. Whatever it may be (it may be nothing!) it paid off.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well Trent usually plays 1 year or 2, but in LITS were 5 years in a row (2005-2009) doing tours (pre with teeh/with teeth/yearzero/lits/wave goodbye)

Maybe his voice just needed some rest , in big productions as Lits or Tension he usually plays more songs, maybe 20-21 for a concert is the best for him

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I read this review of the SF shows saying Trent gave a speech about needing more music makers and less ‘fucking influencers’ - ha ha, couldn’t agree more. Hope someone has video of this!
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12...credible-live/

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Agreed about Trent’s voice (maybe not necessarily the energy though- different setlist, high production, and most of the band members have similar energy). Loved LITS but have a hard time going back to listen to it, would have been better if he cancelled some shows for a couple weeks or so. His voice never recovered and you could even hear it into the 2009 shows which started shortly after LITS ended.

With that hat being said his voice sounds the best since probably pre WT days. Wonder if he’s doing something different or had a “coach” or something. Whatever it may be (it may be nothing!) it paid off.
    Whenever I'm at a NIN show with my wife and they play 'Closer', I always lean in and ask "will he or won't he?" referring to the bit of falsetto on "you make me perfect". I feel like the return of the falsetto means his voice is definitively doing fine.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Whenever I'm at a NIN show with my wife and they play 'Closer', I always lean in and ask "will he or won't he?" referring to the bit of falsetto on "you make me perfect". I feel like the return of the falsetto means his voice is definitively doing fine.
    I wish he'd do the falsetto bits on And All That Could Have Been though in the first verse, unless he did it the other day and I've just not seen video of it

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    He's also doing the falsetto OoooOoooOoO in Suck.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Has he ever done a 'did you not realiiize' (Burn) falsetto live?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    When he hits the high pitch scream in 'Somewhat Damaged' or 'Becoming', thats always a good barometer on how his voice is doing

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I love this. TR's voice is noticeably a little better nowadays than, say, 2007-8. Maybe a gallon of honey and tea each morning.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Trent sure seems to be enjoying this tour than previous ones, but that could just be a matter of what we see/hear. I hope he is, at least. Having this much more open setlist format with no big visual production to choreograph and worry about, a slightly shorter set, and multiple nights at the same venue so there's less travel, may just be what he needs a tour to be now. And I don't think anyone would mind if he continues with this format, whether it's every year or every other year or longer breaks between tours.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Trent sure seems to be enjoying this tour than previous ones, but that could just be a matter of what we see/hear. I hope he is, at least. Having this much more open setlist format with no big visual production to choreograph and worry about, a slightly shorter set, and multiple nights at the same venue so there's less travel, may just be what he needs a tour to be now. And I don't think anyone would mind if he continues with this format, whether it's every year or every other year or longer breaks between tours.
    There’s an itty bitty part of my mind that’s imagining a 2019 anniversary tour for The Fragile, including a more elaborate Fragility-esque production setup, contrasting the current minimal stage setup. Exercise all the freedom with setlists now, then commit to a tour with a more “concrete” setlist the next time around, whether that be a series of residencies or a whole new batch of individual cities.

Not saying I think it’ll happen, but it sure feels like the stars could be aligning for something like that to happen, considering it’ll be the 20th anniversary next year, the lack of many Fragile songs being played, NIN being on FIRE right now, and the fact that this is probably the most technically proficient iteration of the band that there’s ever been...I dunno. It seems like 2019 would be the best time to do it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    There’s an itty bitty part of my mind that’s imagining a 2019 anniversary tour for The Fragile, including a more elaborate Fragility-esque production setup, contrasting the current minimal stage setup.
    After this fall's surprises, I'll dare to dream with you!

Even though objectively The Fragile was well-represented on Fragility 2.0 with around half of any given set list, I do remember being mildly surprised that so many standout vocal tracks weren't heavily featured. A guaranteed opportunity to experience WITT, Please, NYD, etc. live would make this a can't-miss proposition.

Count me in for at least a couple more dates someplace like Radio City...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I wonder if they haven't played "The Idea of You" yet because they're saving it for one of the LA shows to bring Dave Grohl up as guest drummer like they did with all the guests during the final nights of Wave Goodbye...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    I wonder if they haven't played "The Idea of You" yet because they're saving it for one of the LA shows to bring Dave Grohl up as guest drummer like they did with all the guests during the final nights of Wave Goodbye...
    That would be awesome! I just wish I could be there to witness it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Would be pretty cool. I hope people will be recording all those shows eh

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Re: Trent’s voice.

I have been sitting on this comment now for a while but since the subject has come up I think i’ll finally say it - I suspect that Trent can’t shred his voice all the time like he used to - or doesn’t want to. I don’t say that in a negative way at all either. Totally understandable. You ever try to scream along to the album version of Happiness in Slavery? Ouch. Robin Finck is handling that now. And some other parts. I think Trent took a realistic look at the long tour ahead and chose to save his voice.

Why? So he could REALLY sing. I think he is improving as a vocalist, actively challenging and pushing himself into a new direction. God Break Down the Door was such a new shift - but even before that A Minute to Breathe had him really stretching himself.

I respect it. I think the young Trent was amazing, we all love those tracks and watching Woodstock and all, and I think letting that go and maturing and moving into a new vocal direction is a smart and interesting move too.

It does make some of the old material FEEL different. And maybe that’s okay. Or maybe we should all let it go. I’ve been listening since TDS and I think I am just as fascinated by NIN’s latest directions as I was at that time. I have aged and they didn’t get stuck back there. They keep maturing too and staying relevant to themselves and the world around them and that seems to involve a vocal evolution to me. I don’t know. What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    2019 is the 30 year anniversary of PHM and 20 year anniversary for Fragile...I vote for a special 2019 tour commemorating both albums. Played in their entirety every night.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    let's hope they have him also play on All The Love In The World, You Know What You Are, The Collector, Every Day Is Exactly The Same, Getting Smaller, Sunspots, and The Line Begins To Blur like he did on With Teeth album.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    let's hope they have him also play on All The Love In The World, You Know What You Are, The Collector, Every Day Is Exactly The Same, Getting Smaller, Sunspots, and The Line Begins To Blur like he did on With Teeth album.
    Hahahaha yes!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    And have Dr. Dre on stage for Even Deeper.*

* I kid... sort of.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    2019 is the 30 year anniversary of PHM and 20 year anniversary for Fragile...I vote for a special 2019 tour commemorating both albums. Played in their entirety every night.
    Don't forget the 25th anniversary of TDS as well!
    This is shaping up to be one hell of a night if he's stuck playing all 3 of those records, lol. His voice definitely won't survive after all that.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post

I have been sitting on this comment now for a while but since the subject has come up I think i’ll finally say it - I suspect that Trent can’t shred his voice all the time like he used to - or doesn’t want to. I don’t say that in a negative way at all either. Totally understandable. You ever try to scream along to the album version of Happiness in Slavery? Ouch. Robin Finck is handling that now. And some other parts. I think Trent took a realistic look at the long tour ahead and chose to save his voice.

Why? So he could REALLY sing. I think he is improving as a vocalist, actively challenging and pushing himself into a new direction. God Break Down the Door was such a new shift - but even before that A Minute to Breathe had him really stretching himself.

I respect it. I think the young Trent was amazing, we all love those tracks and watching Woodstock and all, and I think letting that go and maturing and moving into a new vocal direction is a smart and interesting move too.

It does make some of the old material FEEL different. And maybe that’s okay. Or maybe we should all let it go. I’ve been listening since TDS and I think I am just as fascinated by NIN’s latest directions as I was at that time. I have aged and they didn’t get stuck back there. They keep maturing too and staying relevant to themselves and the world around them and that seems to involve a vocal evolution to me. I don’t know. What do you guys think?
    I love that Robin's voice has always sounded like meat in a blender. Having him do lead vocals on 'Shit Mirror' was a bizarre and inspired choice. I also love when he randomly screams "YOU! YOOOOOOOUUU!" during 'Wish'.

As far as Trent, yeah, I can dig what you're saying. Dude's 53 and has been screaming for a lot of that time. I think he sounds fantastic on this tour, he's hitting those high notes and his voice is giving out much less. Whatever he has to do to keep singing, I'll support it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    And have Dr. Dre on stage for Even Deeper.*

* I kid... sort of.
    You kid but tell me it wouldn't be amazing to see NIN randomly playing NWA.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 12-07-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I met Ice Cube at my job yesterday!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    “T R Z is fucked up and got the eight ball ROLLING!!!”

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I will always kind of miss the all out screams, but he definitely holds back to preserve his voice, which is good in the long run. He most likely could still scream like he used to, you don't really lose that ability, but doing so too much makes it harder to sing normally. I think my favorite era for vocals was With Teeth. He really straddled the line with that one. It was the first album that he really sang on, but he mixed it with slight screams, not quite full on, but enough to make the vocals "dirty". I really liked that, and he hasn't really done it since. That said, I'm glad he's finally incorporating vibrato into his singing style. He always seemed to intentionally avoid it before now, only letting it slip in very occasionally. Now it's constant, and I love it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    I will always kind of miss the all out screams, but he definitely holds back to preserve his voice, which is good in the long run. He most likely could still scream like he used to, you don't really lose that ability, but doing so too much makes it harder to sing normally. I think my favorite era for vocals was With Teeth. He really straddled the line with that one. It was the first album that he really sang on, but he mixed it with slight screams, not quite full on, but enough to make the vocals "dirty". I really liked that, and he hasn't really done it since. That said, I'm glad he's finally incorporating vibrato into his singing style. He always seemed to intentionally avoid it before now, only letting it slip in very occasionally. Now it's constant, and I love it.
    His vocals from 2005-2007 were my personal fave. Sadly didn't get into the band until YZ came out so i didn't get to see them on that run. His vocals on BYIT are sooooo good. Like the last minute of this video. ooooomppphhhhh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    His vocals from 2005-2007 were my personal fave. Sadly didn't get into the band until YZ came out so i didn't get to see them on that run. His vocals on BYIT are sooooo good. Like the last minute of this video. ooooomppphhhhh

Damn the way he's jumping with the mic stand at the end of Somewhat Damaged always gets me pumped...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Regarding Trent's singing voice, I 100% agree. It's clearly evident in the incredibly awesome recording of Las Vegas night 2 (can't recall who recorded, but THANK YOU!). Especially during The Perfect Drug during the "without you..." part. It actually really surprised me at how good it was.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    6:30PM Doors
    7:30PM Death In Vegas
    8:20PM The Jesus and Mary Chain
    9:45PM NIN
    Wonder why they are pushing their set time back a half hour more than usual?