Page 74 of 81 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2415

Thread: COLD and BLACK and INFINITE - The Fall 2018 NIN Tour SPOILERS THREAD

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm starting to go through all my pictures from the tour after over a month and I still can't believe I was there for all of it. Wouldn't have traded anything I did get to hear for anything I didn't get to hear. Probably gonna pick a bunch and throw them up on a new Instagram finally! But for now I'm gonna be lazy and just share one from Facebook from "I Can't Give Everything Away." Apologies for the size!

Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 12-16-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    i love the HTDA stuff. really hoping that another project is in the offing. Mariqueen is a fine singer, IMHO. I'm all for Trent doing whatever the fuck he wants to! Given the opportunity I'd go to see anything he was involved with. I've watched some the stuff he did with strings at Bridge School benefit some years back & found it really good. Something about his music (at least the quieter stuff) screams cellos to me. I'm probably pretty much alone on an island with this one. Trent is a special musician & wherever the muse takes him is fine with me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Since it’s being discussed I’d love to give a shoutout to the woman next to me who was exceptionally rude during the HTDA songs. Shouting out “WE DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE” after Trent thanked the crowd for allowing them to play some of their songs was really lame. Luckily she disappeared after a few songs. It’s fine if those songs aren’t for you but don’t ruin the experience for those around you who are enjoying themselves. As someone who was late to board the HTDA train, I was thrilled I got a chance to see some of these songs performed.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thanat0s View Post
    Since it’s being discussed I’d love to give a shoutout to the woman next to me who was exceptionally rude during the HTDA songs. Shouting out “WE DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE” after Trent thanked the crowd for allowing them to play some of their songs was really lame. Luckily she disappeared after a few songs. It’s fine if those songs aren’t for you but don’t ruin the experience for those around you who are enjoying themselves. As someone who was late to board the HTDA train, I was thrilled I got a chance to see some of these songs performed.
    God, we're really on year 10 of the Q hate, huh. That's rude as hell and that woman needs to shove off.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post
    It's not that I don't know, it's that I don't care.
    You went from people having your back to getting shit on in span one 2 posts with you only having 4 posts to your name

I'm impressed, you'll fit right in.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thanat0s View Post
    Prob the same chick who yelled during some quiet part “PLAY SOME NINE INCH NAILS”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    Prob the same chick who yelled during some quiet part “PLAY SOME NINE INCH NAILS”
    I am surprised that there are still people like this who GO to NIN shows. The bands been around 30 fucking years. You'd think people would've grown up by now, or at least grown up with Trent, the band, and the music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    You went from people having your back to getting shit on in span one 2 posts with you only having 4 posts to your name

I'm impressed, you'll fit right in.
    Well fuck all, I didn't know I was here to win a popularity contest.

Look, as I said from the onset, I'm not a fan of HTDA. I gave some of the songs a listen back when they were released, it didn't grab me. I'm not going to club myself over the fucking head to try and like a band or artist that I just don't click with, there's too much music out there I do like to work hard to "get" just because they have some connection with an artist I *do* like. Thus, that portion of last night's show didn't appeal to me, understand? Some people here seem to be personally offended that I casually referred to Mariqueen as Trent's wife. Well, factually that's who she is. Get over it.
    Last edited by Partyslammer; 12-16-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post
    Well fuck all, I didn't know I was here to win a popularity contest.

Look, as I said from the onset, I'm not a fan of HTDA. I gave some of the songs a listen back when they were released, it didn't grab me. I'm not going to club myself over the fucking head to try and like a band or artist that I just don't click with, there's too much music out there I do like to work hard to "get" just because they have some connection with an artist I *do* like. Thus, that portion of last night's show didn't appeal to me, understand? Some people here seem to be personally offended that I casually referred to Mariqueen as Trent's wife. Well, factually that's who she is. Get over it.
    You are aware that half of HDTA is nine inch nails, no? It's not just "some connection."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    I self-limited (ha!) to the four NYC shows as well, and I’m in the same place mentally. So many bucket list items checked off, I hardly know where to begin. Aside from the presumably universal highlights (TPD, HIS, and the otherworldly Bad Witch trio), my personal best surprise was the return of ATLITW. I feared that was a Tension-only treat, and I was thrilled to be wrong.

As far as setlist misses go, I’m actually more disappointed at missing Dear World, than AATCHB. Huge outlier opinion here, but the latter never really stood out for me, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the former never returns given the apparently anemic response.
    If all of the NYC shows were just TPD 21 times in a row, I'd have been totally fine.

As far as 'Dear World,' never returning, I am no longer predicting/assuming ANYTHING after this tour. Literally anything is possible. That's the really cool thing about this tour ending as opposed to other bands I dig; a lot of folks are bummed, I'm just excited for what could possibly be next. The fact that a 30+ year old band can elicit THAT response at this point in their careers is something singular.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Personally, I was more annoyed at how you made How To Destroy Angels sound like it was some sort of vanity project for her. You don't have to get a hard on every time you hear one of their songs, but your dismissive tone is kind of ridiculous. Also, I get annoyed when people refer to her as "Trent's wife" because it's disrespectful to the guy who has given us a lot, and who also lurks around on Ye Olde Message Board. Beyond that, she's a collaborator just like everyone else who has worked with Trent & Atticus over the years, and nobody seems to have trouble remembering their names or referring to them as "that guy who did that thing".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love the HTDA releases as much or even more than some of the NIN material. I am still bummed they dropped out of the 2013 voodoofest lineup because it was my only chance to see them.

That performance of "On the Wing" on the 14th is AMAZING. How can you LOVE NIN but not enjoy that? Unless you just seriously hate having another vocalist involved?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

COLD and BLACK and INFINITE - The Fall 2018 NIN Tour SPOILERS THREAD

Mariqueen sounded fantastic and had excellent command of the stage. I wasn’t expecting the HTDA songs (despite seeing them do “Parasite” in Vegas), nor for her to join them for a few songs, but that mini set was IMO one of the highlights of a tour with many, MANY high points. It was a treat I’ll never forget.

NO band should be THIS great 30+ years into the game, yet here we are, and they’ll be back to give us more.

We are beyond spoiled.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Going by the US set compared to what we've been getting the last few times in the UK and i might have to consider flying over for a future tour! Hell just for the chance to see La Mer, The Perfect Drug, AATCHB, IIT and the HTDA mini sets it would be well worth it! Though i would have to get over my hang ups of travelling alone!
    Funny, I actually felt the opposite (until cold and black... started) I would always look at and envy the setlists that Europe got, and told myself "one day I'll fly over to get one of these magical sets" then I did. I flew over this year, and the sets were... ok... but not the usual "omg! This is the best ever" that was reserved for the UsA run this time... but how were we to know? Guy always keeps us on our toes. In hindsight, I would have not went to Europe knowing the US shows were going to be like this. I would have used the money and vacation time that went towards Europe to go towards seeing more shows here. I only ended up getting to see 2 shows on the US run because I was still financially recovering from Europe. But oh well. Nothing I can do now. Just my own observation.

I'll be ready for the next touring run now. I want to hit the first show of the new run wherever it may be to experience that "nobody knows what's going to happen" feeling for the first time.

I'm still one of the sole believers on this site that there will not be any shows in 2019. People are begging to differ, but I don't see the band bouncing back this quick to play shows. Trent has a lot of film and score work on his plate to finish over the next few months. I don't see NIN returning to the stage in 2019, unless one of the fall festivals offers him an obscene amount of money. Just being realistic here. He says he wants to take an extended break. An extended break to me isn't 3 or 6 months. It'll be at least a year. Unfortunate too, I would have liked a 30th anniversary PHM show. That could still happen, he could pull together a 1-off pop-up show next year to commemorate the occasion, but I don't see a tour or multiple shows happening at all. If he doesn't do anything at all in 2019 to celebrate 30 years, it's a huge missed oppertunity.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Also, I get annoyed when people refer to her as "Trent's wife" because it's disrespectful to the guy who has given us a lot, and who also lurks around on Ye Olde Message Board.
    Also it is disrespectful as shit to her. She is her own person, and her existence is not defined by who she chose to marry.

Edit - And, as someone who has never listened to HTDA, I will be now. Her voice is so controlled and beautiful. I was watching a couple of different streams, and I could not take my eyes off of her. Ice Age is the only song I caught, but I will be making it a point to listen to HTDA once the semester is over. That song grabbed me and made me feel things immediately.
    Last edited by Sarah K; 12-16-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Favorite setlist: the 1989-1997 one, talk about an awesome “aggressive” show! Runner up has to be the opener of the tour playing Broken from start to finish.

Least favorite: the sets that were heavy on all or some combination of HTDA, Bowie related songs, and the trilogy. Not attempting to offend anyone, just not for me.

Regardless it was awesome to be at the shows, and was fun to keep an eye on this thread and setlistfm. Can’t wait for the next tour.
    Last edited by Krazy; 12-16-2018 at 08:22 PM. Reason: “Can’t”

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    HDTA is great and Mariqueen is a talented artist all on her own. Trent chose to marry her and make art with her and so that’s that. Like it or move on. But no one should ever be disrespecting her.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I wonder if Trent sits there and goes on ETS at home whenever he's bored. Would be weird to have a whole website devoted to people that talk about my life and my work all day long. I know I'd be sitting there on a site like that all day long, to the point where it would be an obsession to read what people are saying about me. Wonder if it's easy for him to try and ignore and stay away from this place. I'd be tempted to come check in all the time in my downtime.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 12-16-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Also it is disrespectful as shit to her. She is her own person, and her existence is not defined by who she chose to marry.

Edit - And, as someone who has never listened to HTDA, I will be now. Her voice is so controlled and beautiful. I was watching a couple of different streams, and I could not take my eyes off of her. Ice Age is the only song I caught, but I will be making it a point to listen to HTDA once the semester is over. That song grabbed me and made me feel things immediately.
    You are in for some pretty amazing shit. Whether you dig Mariqueen or not, the sonics on HTDA are some of the most interesting and experimental from Reznor and company. The use of silence is fantastic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ^^^ Yes.

"The Space Between" hooked me immediately and is still one of my favorites to listen to. The video is amazing.

"A Drowning" is one of the most beautiful songs ever and it is one of the best songs Trent has ever composed.

"We Fade Away" has taken me places on many occasions, sober and under the influence. I also chose to listen to that song while on nitrous during a wisdom teeth removal and it resonated inside my brain. I dissolve into myself.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    i loved last night's show. i hate most of you assholes.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    This is going exactly as expected...

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    That’s so rude. Luckily I had a different experience and the girl behind me was super into HTDA and knew all of the lyrics. I’ve become rusty over the years— gotta study up again!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think, opinions aside, writing off HTDA based off a few songs is kinda disengenous especially if you're already a big enough NIN fan to be posting on a fan board like a weirdo. There's three releases that have a great deal of variety to them and a lot of what's in there is very NIN-adjacent, and not in a derivative way since the instrumental section of the band and much of the vocals legit are NIN.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

COLD and BLACK and INFINITE - The Fall 2018 NIN Tour SPOILERS THREAD

The HTDA parts of the set were one of my favorite things about these LA shows. I had tickets to see them in Vegas back then but they went to waste because I got ridiculously sick. Bbb is one of my favorites of theirs.

Also, to add to something someone mentioned earlier in the thread...referring to women by who they’re married to, etc is extremely problematic. I remember seeing an article posted on a local paper’s Facebook page recently that said “Elon Musk’s girlfriend buys Pasadena home” or some nonsense. As if Grimes wasn’t an artist/songwriter in her own right. They changed it after a couple of us commented but that’s some bullshit...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'd much rather TR opened up the set lists to his entire discography then just the NIN stuff (soundtracks included) HTDA's have some fucking amazing songs. Also Mariqueen sings on Less Than, so that's kinda a HTDA track if you think about it (and a fucking tune!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Year Zero > HTDA > NIN
    Last edited by Avarik; 12-19-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I would love to get a HTDA mini set in a show. Their first EP is some of my favorite music made by Trent after the 90s.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I'd much rather TR opened up the set lists to his entire discography then just the NIN stuff (soundtracks included) HTDA's have some fucking amazing songs. Also Mariqueen sings on Less Than, so that's kinda a HTDA track if you think about it (and a fucking tune!)
    I second this, hearing Hand Covers Bruise into Beside you in time in 2014 was amazing.

I have now become seriously obsessed with the version of God Break Down the Door on the pro shot Mexico feed with Trent playing sax and this incredible dissonant middle section
    Last edited by WorzelG; 12-17-2018 at 04:59 AM.