Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kaepernick Center of Nike 30th Anniversary Ad Campaign

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Exactly. This is Nike we're talking about here. This isn't some "made in America by people being paid fair, living wages" company. This is a global corporation that relies on slave labor to make sure shareholders are happy and executives can afford multiple vacation homes. Ad decisions come down to whether it's good for the company, not whether it's good for the world.

Now, I will say this: if their research had shown that going the other way - telling everyone to STAND THE FUCK UP in their sneakers - was the way to go, they wouldn't have done that. They would have just gone with a different approach entirely. Because they're smart enough to know that creating an ad that could be construed as supporting racists would not go down well.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Hey just to be clear, I'm no fan of Nike. I've never bought Nike stuff because I have always been so turned off by their labor practices, and I have no intention of changing that.

My post upthread was very specifically addressing the idea that the ad was somehow "tone deaf" simply because it featured Kaepernick, which I think is a kind of unfair to him. So yeah, just to clarify, I sure as fuck ain't #teamnike.... I'm #teamKaepernick.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    FYI: Nike CEO donated $2.5 million to the GOP gubernatorial candidate in Oregon. He's pro-"guns for everybody" and anti-immigration, among other things.

However, as Rolling Stone has noted, he does take the Republican view on some issues, including gun control and immigration. Buehler favors repealing Oregon’s sanctuary state law
    So yeah, about me ranting how this was first and foremost a bottom-end driven PR stunt...

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/02/...e-time-sports/

Shop owner boycotts Nike in protest of pro-civil liberties ad.
    Nike moves on.
    Shop, 20 years old, goes out of business.

Normally I'd be sad to see a small business close because they didn't want to support an international conglomerate, but given the circumstances....