Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: A-Ha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

A-Ha

Did a search and didn't find anything here. I have been listening to the first 3 A-Ha albums a lot lately. I'm familiar with them since I was a young lad but I always come back to them and the brilliance of them keeps shining through.

Really great songwriting, and a truly amazing voice. Has anybody else here ever given them a go? The first three albums only, I don't like any of the rest of it bar an odd song here and there.

I also notice most things on here are a bit more current and am aware that it is likely only tumbleweed will come to this thread, but you never know...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    been a fan since pretty much day 1, it's one of the rare 80's band that managed to stick around, albeit with some high and lows. The 5 first records are great stuff to me, the recent stuff isn't quite as great but the unplugged they just released is amazing, goes to show they can put up a great show.

I was lucky to find out they played LA back in 09 and flew down there for the show, happy i was able to cross this one from my bucket list, good show too.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    HUGE fan of A-Ha....I wish I could have seen them live at some point.
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 09-03-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Smile

I feel like they sort of lost it on Memorial Beach. Couple of good songs but a bad album overall. Same for pretty much everything since, although I still check out every new release. They played here in Ireland this year and it sold out in 3 mins I was devastated. I watched a BBC live gig a few months ago and it was fantastic. Surely Morten Harket has one of the best voices ever. Gives me shivers at times it is so good.

And also, thank god I'm not the only one

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    HUGE fan of Ah-Ha....I wish I could have seen them live at some point.
    Brilliant! Another one. Those first three albums are untouchable. Anything else from the later catalog you might recommend?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I like this song. Awesome movie too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Love this cut from Hunting High and Low

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I like this song. Awesome movie too.
    Man I love that song. My favourite of them all follows it on the same album. "There's Never a Forever Thing". It's the vocals mostly but the whole thing is great.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Love this cut from Hunting High and Low

Yeah another absolute classic. Such a lonely feeling to it. Great for autumn, which seems to be the time of year I mostly get the urge for some A-Ha

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    anything from the first 3 are absolute classics!!!

man, hard to believe there is a a-ha tread on a NIN forum...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    anything from the first 3 are absolute classics!!!

man, hard to believe there is a a-ha tread on a NIN forum...
    I love A-Ha too, they were a bit weird and a lot of their music, is quite melancholy I think, very Scandinavian. Also i always equate NIN as being slightly heavier synth pop because I got into them through Pretty Hate Machine and NIN to me are the bridge between 80s synth pop (my first proper pop music love) and the much heavier music I had got into, because pop music went really downhill at least in the uk imo around the late 80s with stock aitken and Waterman, it really started sounding like a conveyor belt

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I love A-Ha too, they were a bit weird and a lot of their music, is quite melancholy I think, very Scandinavian. Also i always equate NIN as being slightly heavier synth pop because I got into them through Pretty Hate Machine and NIN to me are the bridge between 80s synth pop (my first proper pop music love) and the much heavier music I had got into, because pop music went really downhill at least in the uk imo around the late 80s with stock aitken and Waterman, it really started sounding like a conveyor belt
    It was the synth pop elements that got me into NIN, i thought it was like heavy Depeche Mode at the time, although I think now that it isn't really that much. I think most people just know Take On Me and sort of write A-Ha off at that not really realising the depth of their talent. It isn't really happy music at all to me either. It is much more lonely and melancholy than they get credit for.

I can't believe that I wasn't the only person to comment on an A-Ha thread on a NIN forum!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Admittedly I don’t know much about this band outside of their huge hit on MTV back in the mid 80’s, Take On Me. Song was rediscovered for Deadpool 2, an acoustic version for MTV Unplugged from last year. Yeah, it’s definitely a “who cut the onions?” scene. Video for acoustic version, one can search YT for a Deadpool mix...