Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jonah Hill’s “Mid 90s” (2018)

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)

Jonah Hill’s “Mid 90s” (2018)

http://collider.com/trent-reznor-att...re-jonah-hill/

Jonah Hill’s directorial debut Mid90s is set to debut on the fall film festival circuit next month, but there’s one more surprise in store: he nabbed a pair of incredible composers. Film Music Reporter reports that Oscar winners Trent Reznor and Aticus Ross have composed the original score for Mid90s, adding yet another layer of excitement to what was already an exciting project.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    @Swykk - added a quote to your post since this is kinda big news.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Wow well I wouldn’t have predicted them scoring a skater film even if it is set in the 90s

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Wow. This could be potentially awesome. Wonder if they'll be going for a retro sound to match the film, or more the general feel of their score work so far. Probably the latter if I had to guess, but the former is more intriguing.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Sweet! I was curious about the film after I saw the trailer, but now I'm definitely interested.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    What a bizarre choice. Very interesting in seeing how it sounds.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    No skater film will ever top Thrashin or Gleaming The Cube

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Gleaming The Cube

i had such a crush on christian slater because of that movie. holy shit. i wanted to learn to skateboard because, in my mind, that would have made me cool enough to be able to hang out with him.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

i had such a crush on christian slater because of that movie. holy shit. i wanted to learn to skateboard because, in my mind, that would have made me cool enough to be able to hang out with him.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I expect this score to be more like The Social Network, aka less dark and more upbeat.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The title is on-the-nose and kind of lazy. Still, will be interesting to see TR+AR score this as I'd never have guessed that. All the other works they've scored make sense.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    The title is on-the-nose and kind of lazy. Still, will be interesting to see TR+AR score this as I'd never have guessed that. All the other works they've scored make sense.
    You must not have been around when everyone was criticizing them for doing "that Facebook movie" before it came out. Or Patriots Day, before it came out. Or Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter when they were in talks to do that. Or when Trent did the Call of Duty theme song. I'm probably missing some things that fell through as well. I happen to think this is a great fit for their sound.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I'm not as blindly optimistic about this as I am previous releases, but I think that's because in my head, the mid-90s is connected more to alt-rock and I'm having a really hard time piecing Trent's music in there. Which is, I know, really stupid. That's when some of his best-known stuff was at the height of its popularity. That's when I was hooked on NIN. But I just can't get a totally different genre out of my head when I think of that era, and so when I picture Trent and Atticus writing that sort of genre, it doesn't sound right in my head.

That said, I'm still pretty certain that all of my preconceived notions are wrong and I'm going to end up loving this soundtrack.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I'm not as blindly optimistic about this as I am previous releases, but I think that's because in my head, the mid-90s is connected more to alt-rock and I'm having a really hard time piecing Trent's music in there. Which is, I know, really stupid. That's when some of his best-known stuff was at the height of its popularity. That's when I was hooked on NIN. But I just can't get a totally different genre out of my head when I think of that era, and so when I picture Trent and Atticus writing that sort of genre, it doesn't sound right in my head.

That said, I'm still pretty certain that all of my preconceived notions are wrong and I'm going to end up loving this soundtrack.
    I'd bet that there's going to be a soundtrack separate from the score. Probably a bunch of '90s alt-rock, but probably more hip hop, judging from the music in the trailer, which is all songs that have been sampled by popular rappers.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Atticus proved how well he can work with pre-existing songs in Love and Mercy. I'm stoked for this.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So looks like the world premiere of this film is Sun Sept 9th at TIFF.

Wonder if the boys would be in attendance? Probably not I'd imagine, especially given the tour starts a few days later. But there's also no Toronto stop on the tour, and they do usually play there so maybe get two birds stoned at once?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valiantsteed View Post
    Wonder if the boys would be in attendance? Probably not I'd imagine, especially given the tour starts a few days later. But there's also no Toronto stop on the tour, and they do usually play there so maybe get two birds stoned at once?
    They could easily fly to Toronto and back for the premiere since the tour doesn't start until the following Thursday. That said, they're definitely not doing a show if they go up there.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I didn't get to see the premiere, as I was busy elsewhere yesterday, and also getting around town on public transit to and from the TIFF venues really sucks for me this year. But here's a reddit thread from someone who did see it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comm...s_jonah_hills/

May skip work this afternoon and try to get into a matinee screening in a couple of hours.
    Last edited by botley; 09-10-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I wonder when the score will be released. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed until Trent & Atticus are finished with the tour.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I wonder when the score will be released. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed until Trent & Atticus are finished with the tour.
    Before the Flood also premiered at TIFF (almost two years ago to the week) and the score release followed a couple of months later. It was a bit different because there was already a wide distribution deal in place timed to coincide with the election cycle. I don't think the turn-around will be quite that fast, in this case; I guess they'll probably look for a distributor and then sign a deal for release maybe for late this year or early next.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Just got word from my editor that the release date is slated for 10/19.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Just got word from my editor that the release date is slated for 10/19.
    For the film or the score?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    For the film or the score?
    Sorry, the score.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    This movie looks great. I adore Larry Clark's movie "Kids" and this seems to be in a similar fashion. Very interested to hear the score.

A24 has been on point with their movies over the last couple of years.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Weird choice of film. Hopefully they go for a CD release this time around.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Weird choice of film. Hopefully they go for a CD release this time around.
    I mean...it IS called "Mid 90's"...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^Reddit review: The soundtrack was another highlight of the film really brought you into that era.

Interesting, I lived in a city in Northern Ontario, Canada. My friends and I were AVID skaters from 1995-1999 (age 13-17). When there wasn't snow on the ground we were skating and pissing people off throughout the entire city. I'm sure, depending on where you lived, peoples memories and memorabilia from that era vary.... but the music we listened to and considered "sk8r music" was...

- NOFX (and dozens of other punk bands dominated)
    - The Offspring
    - Rage Against The Machine
    - Green Day
    - STP
    - Beastie Boys "Ill Communication"
    - Nirvana
    - rap (though I never bought any rap CDs some of my friends would). I did have Doggy Style on cassette and I played that a lot.
    - etc....

I've not heard any samples or reviews on the style TR and AR produced, nor do I know whether this is a serious/drama or a fun/flashback movie but I feel like TR/AR should have taken a different approach with 'Mid 90s' than they did with any of their previous 5 OSTs.

I cannot wait to hear the OST and see the movie. I'm guessing TR/AR didn't write any songs and they stuck to ambient music but Im realllllly interested to see what they have produced, seeing as they are on the outside looking in; I don't think 'fishnet armyboot Trent Reznor' was ripping up the half pipes in the mid 90s.

On the other hand there were many days where I sat alone in my head, watching my friends perform better than I do (smoke more weed, get hotter girls, cooler clothes, ollie 4-6 decks...); Come to think of it the MID 90s for me were a constant bombardment of emasculation and struggles.

So traditional ambient thought provoking OST could work if MID 90s deals with some of the struggles teens dealt with on their own.
    Last edited by snaapz; 09-17-2018 at 08:34 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Any more news about this?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Any more news about this?
    According to my editor, it's still slated for release on the 19th, although the fact that no one's heard anything yet is a little weird. We're still waiting for review copies.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    A formal review just appeared on Entertainment Weekly : https://ew.com/movies/2018/10/10/mid...h-hill-review/ . It briefly mentions TR/AR score. Guess more reviews will come soon!