Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Jonah Hill’s “Mid 90s” (2018)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Unless this is it...
    I only could listen to the snippets at the time because it was still Thursday. I think this is it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I understand the limitations of wav metadata, but I'm never sure if the non-existent metadata is intentional or not, due to past issues with digital files from the TR/AR camp.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Are the FLAC 24/48 or 16/44 ?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Well that was beautiful and uplifting (albeit short little EP)...exactly what i needed right now

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuenthez View Post
    Are the FLAC 24/48 or 16/44 ?
    They're 24bit FLAC files at 48kHz sample rate in a single zip. All tags present and accounted for... artwork too!
    Last edited by botley; 10-19-2018 at 06:00 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Playing this now on the big system at home - very pretty, some lovely bass rumbling on that first track.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Hm, been a long time since we got "simple", evocative piano melodies in this style. This is great. Really does feel like its one little movie, with the melody at the beginning re-appearing at the end, but.. tainted. The piano sounds so effortless but evokes a lot. With just the name of the film and this short album my imagination went wild enough to imagine a nice little atmosphere. I look forward to the whole piece. Now to hope the movie it gets released in theaters where I am..
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 10-19-2018 at 06:45 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    But with this one the tracks all feel so similar and end so similarly that I do wonder if this is it. Also considering the movie uses a bunch of existing songs and is only 90 minutes long.
    Certainly sounds feasible - shame, as the more hear I hear this, the more I'm enjoying it. Maybe that's why there's been so little buzz about it from the Reznor camp (though obviously the tour is taking up most of his time at the moment). Hopefully then this one is one of the 'minor' projects he referred to in an interview earlier this year...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Right now, for me, this is (another) snoozefest by TR and AR. Vietnam had it's interesting moments, but this is just...boring. Beatiful, but boring.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Completely out of the loop on this. Accidentally clicked the bookmark to NIN.com instead of ETS and landed on the homepage to see the Vulture writeup and, more importantly, new music. Made my morning. I REALLY dig the vibe...would love to hear more in this vein.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Love it. There is something so evocative and soulful in these simple tracks. It creates a bittersweet atmosphere that makes me nostalgic about growing up in the "Mid 90s"... Personally I think this is very powerful on an emotional level. Kudos T&A!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really like this. Too bad it is so short. Hopefully they release more stuff in the future they way they released those few Gone Girl outtakes. I would love to hear more of what they came up with during these sessions, even if it didn't make the final cut. A deviations type release of the best leftovers from their scoring jobs would be pretty cool.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    The full score is released on the 29th. From what I heard. I could be wrong, but I find it hard to believe it's only 12 minutes long.
    Surely they wouldnt charge for the EP if it was just a sampler of a full release to follow a week and a half later.

It seems its been their tendency lately to make the official release be almost a greatest hits of what they composed, as opposed to something like Dragon Tattoo, where they pretty much released all the music they made for the film, including some that didnt get used.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Surely they wouldn’t charge for the EP if it was just a sampler of a full release to follow a week and a half later.
    *shiftily looks left and right*

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    *shiftily looks left and right*

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Honestly, I loved this and can't wait to hear more. I haven't been as big into their score work as of late, but this feels like it's going to complement a film I was immensely anticipating.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Loved this little gem at 1am last night. Excited for the full score.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    You all know that this is the full score, right?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Honestly, I loved this and can't wait to hear more. I haven't been as big into their score work as of late, but this feels like it's going to complement a film I was immensely anticipating.
    More? I think this is it. But yes, very nice work, though I've really liked the majority of the score work tbf.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is beautiful, this is my favorite ost from Trent
    I really like it

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    1. The Start of Things - Reminds me of the end of The Social Network score, in a very good way.

2. Big Wide World - Maybe the "nicest" TR/AR piece ever? I can't think of anything this un-brooding from their entire collection, other than maybe a track or two from Before The Flood.

3. Finding A Place - As people pointed out, really nice to just have some straight piano work from (presumably) Trent. Backing layers aside, it almost feels like a piece could you sneak into a playlist of Chopin's Nocturnes without anyone noticing.

4. Further Along - Kind of a combination of my thoughts on 1 and 3. It sort of strikes me to an answer to the first track - a very similar piece melodically but with a different attitude.

Overall, yeah, really lovely but frustratingly short. Starting to think about making a playlist of little TR/AR snippets that we can collectively design to give all their smaller score work a home.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Very beautiful and way too short. I'm sure TR + AR have a ton of things on their plate right now, but I'd love to hear more music in this vein.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    Welp! If so, cool. They clearly like the EP format...I was only thinking about the teaser EP for TGWTDT. I had to refrain from playing out those songs.

Glad to know I can happily play this out all I want now.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Movie about the mid 90s and the soundtrack is only released via streaming services...Oh the irony..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    We do now lol.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    So I finally got to listen to it just now. I absolutely love it, and I've really wanted a piano based record from these guys for a while, and this is perfectly what I was hoping for. All that said, does it bother anyone else how incredibly loudly it's mastered? Like, it's not super compressed (which is generally the problem with loud records) but there are a few parts that the piano's volume peaks for a few seconds and gets that nasty crackling distortion. Thing is, there doesn't seem to be a real reason for it, since this a pretty quiet record by nature. I hate to be a buzzkill, but while I absolutely LOVE the compositions themselves, digital clipping is one of my pet peeves in music, and it just seems so avoidable here that I had to mention it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    This EP/OST is incredible, although almost disappointingly too short and it let me craving for more. I personally can't wait for the full release of The Walled Off Hotel, as I'm a huge fan of TR+AR playing the piano.

Big Wide World is amazing, and I just realised that the melody is somewhat similar to Not The Love We Dream Of by Gary Numan.
    Am I the only one hearing this?

Last edited by arsenic; 10-19-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Behind the scenes footage of Trent recording score for Mid90s. Word is he did it all in one sitting at this grocery store cafe:

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    So I finally got to listen to it just now. I absolutely love it, and I've really wanted a piano based record from these guys for a while, and this is perfectly what I was hoping for. All that said, does it bother anyone else how incredibly loudly it's mastered? Like, it's not super compressed (which is generally the problem with loud records) but there are a few parts that the piano's volume peaks for a few seconds and gets that nasty crackling distortion. Thing is, there doesn't seem to be a real reason for it, since this a pretty quiet record by nature. I hate to be a buzzkill, but while I absolutely LOVE the compositions themselves, digital clipping is one of my pet peeves in music, and it just seems so avoidable here that I had to mention it.
    What version are you listening to? I don't hear what you're describing on the FLAC copy from nin.com, nor on Tidal HiFi, so maybe it's a lossy compression thing? It would help if you indicated some specific timing points in the songs and I can take a closer look to see what's up.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    I get heaps of it listening on Spotify