Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: 2018.08.14 Bangkok, Thailand @ Moon Star Studio

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2018.08.14 Bangkok, Thailand @ Moon Star Studio

Bangkok

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As soon as Bangkok was announced, I set my travel plans in motion. Living and working in Shanghai makes seeing Southeast Asia easy and affordable. It was a real pleasure to see my favorite band half a world away. To boot, I was able to link up and share the experience with Schteph, a gem and diehard fan. She also linked up with a first-timer and he linked up with another first-timer at the venue. Both young newbies flew in from the Philippines. We also met Joanna, Malay-American, and Flavia, attended university in Melbourne. For the curious and purely from my vantage point, the crowd was mostly male, close to half expat and 75% of attendees wore black T-shirts. It was fun to see the various NIN eras represented on shirts.

Moonstar Studios is a media production lot with eight studios. The property and facilities are nicely maintained. Singha, a popular brand promoting sports and entertainment events across SE Asia, did a great job on everything service related. Wristband queuing was fast. Security was tightly enforced at entry. To my surprise there were no seats, just pure floor and raised stage. I was just left of center, easy view of TR, IR and AR, and 5 to 8 people from the stage at anytime.

First off, I underestimated opener Marmosets, a veteran local DJ doing a hybrid modular synth set. The first five minutes were a drony 4-4 and I expected more of the same but once he hit his stride, the crowd was a steady nod. Overall, he rocked us through a tribal, squelchy industrial set which piqued my interest to hear more from him.

After a 25 minute or so set-up, Somewhat Damaged began and we were all lit up. Moshing and crowd surfing warnings be damned, front center was wild. I saw a couple of young ladies tossing around and joined in the fray for a couple minutes before retreating. A couple of bigger guys near me caused a scene and almost came to blows during the encore. I zoned out during THTF trying to track when to duck. Kudos to Schteph for helping to break them up.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-53e887a1.html

This 21-song setlist featured some of the best cuts of each era. Intensity ruled the set with Somewhat Damaged, TDTWWA, Wish, Less Than and MOTP leading off. Piggy, The Frail and The Lovers offered well-deserved breaks for the band and crowd alike. The middle was Bad Witch-heavy (Shit Mirror, Ahead of Ourselves and God Break Down the Door). All three tracks live make me appreciate the whole album even more. Personal favorite Even Deeper in the midst of the Survivalism-Hurt encore was a welcomed surprise.

Trent stopped a couple of times to talk and apologized for keeping Bangkok waiting for 30 years with a smile. The crowd ate it up. He even smiled through a couple of thank yous at closing.

Before the show, Steph shared some highlights from her numerous shows. I told my new Filipino buddies that in my experience each show is packed with intensity and every emotion from start to finish. NIN fans share that energy and it makes for a powerful cathartic experience. We reconnected post-show and their reaction said it all. The first words out of their mouths were in Tagalog as smiles abounded. “How was it guys?” “We were just saying how awesome it was with a whole bunch of curse words!” “Like holy fuck, that was amazing?” “Exactly!”

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    How many people would you say were at the show?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My best estimate is 1200-1500. I've shared some of my pics and vids that show more of the crowd on my Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BmhSQ9zhrBn/
    Last edited by darksiren82; 08-15-2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Updated with Instagram link

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darksiren82 View Post

My best estimate is 1200-1500. I've shared some of my pics and vids that show more of the crowd on my Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BmhSQ9zhrBn/
    If that was the case, this might have been the smallest show they've played since 2009. Webster Hall last year was slightly bigger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was at this show - my first chance to finally see NIN live! I was absolutely blown away by how good it was. It's been etched in my mind as just an amazing overall experience and I am constantly replaying it back mentally. Great setlist, fantastic musical performance on each song, really small intimate show where you could get as close to the stage as you wanted, visceral stage lighting. The crowd was cool too, mix of locals and foreigners, all types of age groups and demographics, and a pretty awesome vibe of people just appreciating the music. I'm getting old and am kind of an introvert, but I just let go at this show and was lost in the joy of hearing some of my all-time favorite songs played on a great sound system, thumping through my veins. It actually made me regret not previously attending any of their other shows some time over the last 30 years (although there were never any prior realistic opportunities). I hope I somehow some day get another chance to see them, but if I don't, I am damn happy that I had this one! Thank you Nine Inch Nails!