Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Jaws

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Jaws

Sat the wife down to watch this last night. Couldn't believe she'd never seen this classic. Figured the height of summer was the perfect time.

UGH THAT SCENE. I could gush over it forever. Everything about it is perfect. One of the classic scenes of all time in cinema. Shaw's acting, part. during the Indianapolis monologue, is the epitome of the craft. Perfect stuff.

Steven Spielberg made this at the age of 29. 29! What the fuck were you doing at 29? I'll be 38 in October and I still tie my shoes wrong and am late to work almost every day.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    A true classic. The pacing of the film is impeccable, especially compared to modern blockbusters.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    That scene alone is putting to shame a majority of movies that have been made since. I'll bet that in a hundred years it will still be as relevant and as amazing as it is today.

Jaws is a true masterpiece.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Fun fact: it's Robert Shaw's birthday today (9 August 1927 – 28 August 1978).

JAWS is my favorite movie of all time, has been for two decades. Loved the shark thrills as a youngling, adore its (sometimes accidental) professionalism now. The making-of history and behind-the-scenes stuff is fascinating, so is the impact it left on pop culture, but first and foremost it's just so damn fun. The perfect blend of horror, adventure and comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Steven Spielberg made this at the age of 29. 29! What the fuck were you doing at 29? I'll be 38 in October and I still tie my shoes wrong and am late to work almost every day.
    The possibility of turning 30 before I have the chance to see a real great white depresses me a great deal - a problem as first world as it gets, but I can't help it, that's the power of JAWS. It's a life goal that feels just as important now as it did to my 6-year-old self, and let me tell you, that kid and I don't agree on many things. Sharks and this movie being awesome though? Yup.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    One of my favorite movies. My wife and I went as Quint and the shark for Halloween a couple of years ago.

Got the chance to see this in the theater when they put it out for the 40th anniversary, that was incredible.

The documentary "The Shark is Still Working" that's on the blu-ray release is really cool as well.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    It definitely needs to be seen in theater if you get the chance. I saw it first when it came out, in 1975, at the drive-in. It scared the bejesus out of me, of course.

This past weekend, a 2015 news story was trending and it is the creepiest thing related to Jaws I ever read. I thought you might be interested: https://news.avclub.com/is-a-jaws-ex...ase-1798283822

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just joining in with the general Jaws love here. A wonderful film in so many ways. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say it's almost perfect, and I'll never get bored of seeing it.

So many classic scenes, of course, but I just love the general atmosphere in it, particularly when it's just the three guys on a boat. Wonderfully shot, especially considering the difficulties they had.

My local film society is putting on an outdoors screening next month, so I've got my fingers crossed for fine weather that day. It'll be my first time seeing it on the big screen!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A true masterpiece of a film, I hope to view it in a theater one day. I actually love every single film Spielberg did in the 70s. That kid had talent.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Visited Westhoughton, Robert Shaw's birthplace today. He's got a plaque on town hall and a Wetherspoon's pub named after him, with some pretty cool deco tribute to the man - I especially like the food/drink menu card featuring a great white shark.

Coolest thing is, if you walk down to it from the train station through King Street, you actually pass the house he was born in. It's still private property, so I wasn't taking any pictures there, but just knowing about it... whoah. Cool stuff. Been thinking about making this trip for a long time, and I'm glad I finally did it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)