Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Ingmar Bergman discussion

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

Ingmar Bergman discussion

Bergman has been discussed in the Criterion thread, but I feel that he deserves his own thread.

I just saw Persona--wow. Don't know what to make of it, still processing the film. Wild Strawberries, a film about reflection, regret, growing old, another wonderful film. The Seventh Seal, playing chess with death....

I think a lot of NIN fans would adore Bergman, and I hope people check out his work.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    I've seen two of the three films you mentioned (Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries). I enjoy how dreamlike his films feel without all the surrealistic "bells and whistles" (special effects, weird camera angles etc.) that Lynch and Jodorowsky use all the time - not to say I don't like those directors, it's just that Bergman achieved so much with so little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I picked up the boxset this month since it's on sale...I'm about 10 films in..only 29 more to go!

I've seen such diversity in his films. And even his early films had just really thoughtful shots and dialog. I've only see the Seventh Seal when I was younger..but after watching Persona, he instantly, instantly, became one of my favorite directors of all time. Persona made me buy the box set.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The Virgin Spring was the inspiration for The Last House on the Left. Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, and The Silence are a loose trilogy based around spirituality. Bergman later retracted the statement that these are a trilogy.

One of my top directors next to Kurosawa and Tarkovsky.