Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Worlds of DC Thread

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

BOO this man.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Flash movie officially begins filming today.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Finally!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

honestly...just...whatever.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    It's not at all surprising that the studio insisted on the title Batman V Superman (gotta have those names for maximum brand recognition!), but I would have preferred just Dawn of Justice. Synder's suggestion of Son of Sun and Knight of Night isn't awful, but it is kinda cheesy. The other names he pitched (Justice League: Foundations & Justice League: Rising) were terrible, though. It wasn't a good movie anyway, so it doesn't matter. I should give the BVS extended cut a shot sometime since the Snyder Cut of Justice League was actually a considerable improvement.

Regarding The Flash, I really like the score music in that title treatment video. Also great to hear that Michael Keaton has officially signed on after the recent doubt surrounding his involvement. I'm actually looking forward to that movie despite not loving the titular character.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 04-20-2021 at 08:42 AM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    It's not at all surprising that the studio insisted on the title Batman V Superman (gotta have those names for maximum brand recognition!), but I would have preferred just Dawn of Justice. Synder's suggestion of Son of Sun and Knight of Night isn't awful, but it is kinda cheesy. The other names he pitched (Justice League: Foundations & Justice League: Rising) were terrible, though. It wasn't a good movie anyway, so it doesn't matter.
    Not to mention that the "Justice League" titles are quite misleading! Imagine a Justice League movie in which only two members have main roles, only one other has a major supporting role, and the rest only have brief cameos. If the Avengers were to have been set up in a movie like that, and it were to have been titled like an Avengers movie instead of a crossover between two established heroes, an appropriate title would have been Avengers Partially Assemble!
    Last edited by Patrick_Nicholas; 05-14-2021 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Cleared up rambling probably better suited for a blog

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I really have nothing to add to that, sums it up nicely.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    We’re getting around now to watching the DCEU films and I love Man of Steel. It got such mediocre reviews, I thought Henry Cavill was fine as Karl-El and bought a lot of emotion to it, you could feel his burden. This is the first Zack Snyder film I’ve seen, I find his fandom annoying but maybe the critics are overly harsh
    Last edited by WorzelG; 05-08-2021 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    We’re getting around now to watching the DCEU films and I love Man of Steel. It got such mediocre reviews, I thought Henry Cavill was fine as Karl-El and bought a lot of emotion to it, you could feel his burden. This is the first Zack Snyder film I’ve seen, I find his fandom annoying but maybe the critics are overly harsh
    I strongly believe the critics are harsh. Every criticism I've heard toward his trilogy is either resolved by watching the extended cuts and/or people just wanting to complain about something (the criticism about the Martha line is so fucking stupid...). I really think it's a matter of "you like it or you don't". I think Zack is a good story teller. His take on these characters is no different than, say, Frank Miller's take on the characters in the actual comics. They're gritty and a little more grounded in trauma, and Snyder captures that well.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wight rabbit View Post
    I strongly believe the critics are harsh. Every criticism I've heard toward his trilogy is either resolved by watching the extended cuts and/or people just wanting to complain about something (the criticism about the Martha line is so fucking stupid...). I really think it's a matter of "you like it or you don't". I think Zack is a good story teller. His take on these characters is no different than, say, Frank Miller's take on the characters in the actual comics. They're gritty and a little more grounded in trauma, and Snyder captures that well.
    If you want me to take him seriously, I have to take him at face value with what's in the theater. That's what WB said was good to ship, right? And I get that WB shot him in the foot. and leg. and hamstring. and everything else. but the point stands: what was available to everyone is what everyone is judging him on, not the stuff you have to search out.

FTR I agree, the extended cuts make those films make sense. but that's not what was in the theater and not what the vast majority of people paid money to see.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Worlds of DC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    If you want me to take him seriously, I have to take him at face value with what's in the theater. That's what WB said was good to ship, right? And I get that WB shot him in the foot. and leg. and hamstring. and everything else. but the point stands: what was available to everyone is what everyone is judging him on, not the stuff you have to search out.

FTR I agree, the extended cuts make those films make sense. but that's not what was in the theater and not what the vast majority of people paid money to see.
    And that's precisely the issue: Zack gets the criticism when it's WB that fucked it up from the start. If they just allowed him to do what he wanted, I'm sure a lot of critics would have had much less to say other than they just didn't care for them.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    flip side to that is that WB didn't cut the right things. Lose the piss bottle. Lose the weird Doomsday/not really storyline, or at least make it not Doomsday. Pay Michael Shannon and make it a monstrosity that looks like him since they used his DNA. These are Zack choices that deserve the criticism.

he's got bad ideas that are right there with his good ones. it's weird.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    flip side to that is that WB didn't cut the right things. Lose the piss bottle. Lose the weird Doomsday/not really storyline, or at least make it not Doomsday. Pay Michael Shannon and make it a monstrosity that looks like him since they used his DNA. These are Zack choices that deserve the criticism.

he's got bad ideas that are right there with his good ones. it's weird.
    See THAT'S a fair set of criticisms.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

But Man of Steel was how he intended it though wasn’t it? I read that he said that it was pretty much his vision and not interfered with.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, MoS was as intended because it's the only one without a director's cut. I'm speaking more to those movies that needed an extension to make sense.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, MoS was as intended because it's the only one without a director's cut. I'm speaking more to those movies that needed an extension to make sense.
    In all fairness, I misspoke. Only Batman v Superman has a director's cut, seeing as the Whedon version of Justice League may as well be forgotten.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wight rabbit View Post
    In all fairness, I misspoke. Only Batman v Superman has a director's cut, seeing as the Whedon version of Justice League may as well be forgotten.
    I wish i could forget that version!

As someone that saw the cinema versions only of all 3 i can fully see why they weren't well received at the time. MoS was...fine, but it was right off the back of the Batman trilogy and that had most peoples expectations upped, especially as Nolan was citied as an producer (he probably had almost no input and was placed there by WB's to get butts in seats) BvS was uneven but enjoyable in places (and was a GEART intro to WW) and Justice League was a mess top to bottom thanks to WB's. The re-edits are most likely better, but they aren't what most peoples first impressions were.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Why is everyone mad at Gal Gadot, famed Israeli actress, for taking the Israeli side in this conflict? I mean I get the big picture of it but at the same time it's stupid to think she would have said otherwise.

"Shut up and sing," I guess.

Please note I'm not saying she's right, I'm just saying it shouldn't have surprised anyone. I mean, look at WW84 and some of the messages in there.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Why is everyone mad at Gal Gadot, famed Israeli actress, for taking the Israeli side in this conflict? I mean I get the big picture of it but at the same time it's stupid to think she would have said otherwise.

"Shut up and sing," I guess.

Please note I'm not saying she's right, I'm just saying it shouldn't have surprised anyone. I mean, look at WW84 and some of the messages in there.
    It's def. been clear for a while her views on Palestine are gross are wrong. She's said as much in the past when things have flared up. But there are plenty of Israelis (and Jews in general) that oppose the apartheid state that Israel has set up.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don’t get what was wrong with her message at all, she was hoping that BOTH sides could come to an agreement surely? I don’t even see that as taking the Israeli side? Or maybe I’m misinformed because I read her quote on Twitter ?

can you get any more two sides than this quote?
    “My heart breaks. My country is at war,” Gadot posted in a statement on Twitter on Wednesday. “I worry for my family, my friends. I worry for my people. This is a vicious cycle that has been going on for far too long. Israel deserves to live as a free and safe nation. Our neighbors deserve the same. I pray for the victims and their families, I pray for this unimaginable hostility to end, I pray for our leaders to find the solution so we could live side by side in peace. I pray for better days.”
    Last edited by WorzelG; 05-12-2021 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/mar...n-in-the-dceu/

So now even the actors are having better ideas than the studio. Margot Robbie on what she wants for a Harley movie...

“They must be sick of hearing it, but I’m like, ‘Poison Ivy, Poison Ivy. Come on, let’s do it.’ I’m very keen to see a Harley-Poison Ivy relationship on screen. It’d be so fun. So I’ll keep pestering them. Don’t worry.”

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/mar...n-in-the-dceu/

So now even the actors are having better ideas than the studio. Margot Robbie on what she wants for a Harley movie...

“They must be sick of hearing it, but I’m like, ‘Poison Ivy, Poison Ivy. Come on, let’s do it.’ I’m very keen to see a Harley-Poison Ivy relationship on screen. It’d be so fun. So I’ll keep pestering them. Don’t worry.”
    My guess is after Birds Of Prey which was largely what she wanted to do didn't perform well enough (partly due to some people going on about how "woke" it was and partly due to WB's just not knowing what to call the fucking thing and how to advertise it) they are probably against green lighting anything they see as another personal project for their stars. I mean i think it would be a great idea, but i can defiantly see it getting the same treatment from some "fans" as BoP did.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey_Draws View Post
    My guess is after Birds Of Prey which was largely what she wanted to do didn't perform well enough (partly due to some people going on about how "woke" it was and partly due to WB's just not knowing what to call the fucking thing and how to advertise it) they are probably against green lighting anything they see as another personal project for their stars. I mean i think it would be a great idea, but i can defiantly see it getting the same treatment from some "fans" as BoP did.
    Yeah, you're not wrong about Birds of Prey. I really didn't care for that film much at all, some of it was fun but I thought it missed. The thing is though, the Ivy thing could be a good idea if it's executed well enough. The story fits with Joker being absent and I suppose DC still has the problem of not having a Joker for this universe so that's gonna limit Harley stories. But look at what the animated series did and fans seem to like it.

On the whole, the thing that makes DC's cinematic mess they're in so baffling to me is that they hands down have the best stories compared with Marvel and they don't use them for the films. Margot Robbie is a more capable actor than just being comic relief for the Suicide Squad. Find an actor for Joker if Leto is out and green light a prequel based on Harleen for example. We'll see how The Batman turns out, hopefully that works as it's supposed to at least be inspired by The Long Halloween. But I just don't get why they don't trust all these stories that have stood the test of time. Use them. Change stuff when necessary but trust the core of the stories. Long time fans would love it and new fans who aren't even aware this stuff comes from a comic would love it.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Yeah, you're not wrong about Birds of Prey. I really didn't care for that film much at all, some of it was fun but I thought it missed. The thing is though, the Ivy thing could be a good idea if it's executed well enough. The story fits with Joker being absent and I suppose DC still has the problem of not having a Joker for this universe so that's gonna limit Harley stories. But look at what the animated series did and fans seem to like it.

On the whole, the thing that makes DC's cinematic mess they're in so baffling to me is that they hands down have the best stories compared with Marvel and they don't use them for the films. Margot Robbie is a more capable actor than just being comic relief for the Suicide Squad. Find an actor for Joker if Leto is out and green light a prequel based on Harleen for example. We'll see how The Batman turns out, hopefully that works as it's supposed to at least be inspired by The Long Halloween. But I just don't get why they don't trust all these stories that have stood the test of time. Use them. Change stuff when necessary but trust the core of the stories. Long time fans would love it and new fans who aren't even aware this stuff comes from a comic would love it.

For the most part i thought BoP was fun, a good popcorn film but not necessarily what most people were going to be into (and again WB's not having a clue about how to advertise it, it was a Harley film, not a BoP film!) but it was a big miss for WB's.
    Saying that though i completely forgot about the animated show (i haven't seen it yet, i don't think it's available anywhere in the UK yet) but i know people LOVE that, and you are right, done right it would be great...that does depend on how much room WB's would give Robbie and i can defiantly see someone up top getting very cold feet about a headline gay romance in one of their big DC films, as depressing as that sounds in 2021.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I LIKED MoS. I also rather liked Batman V Superman, although what I originally saw was the director's cut.

I'd like to see DC present itself as grittier than Marvel. They've done it PERFECTLY a few times, starting with the Tim Burton movies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    In theory, DC generally taking a grittier approach is a good way to distinguish itself from Marvel (because it's not like DC has some lighter heroes and Marvel has some darker heroes). I think the issue is when things get excessively gritty, like with the theatrical cut of BvS. Not everyone wants to see movie after movie in which most people hate the heroes for varying reasons while the heroes themselves don't exactly put loads of effort into convincing the public that they're the heroes, the heroes mostly alternate between angsting for varying reasons and fighting each other more than the villains, any major supporting characters remotely associated with the lighter aspects of DC (like Jimmy Olsen and Dick Grayson) have to die to remind us that the world is too dangerous to justify people like them even existing, no one is allowed to crack a joke or have any sort of fun, and everyone must be severely traumatized in ways that make Bruce Wayne losing his parents look like his parents took his Xbox away one time.

Though ZSJL indicates that the series was going to naturally soften up over time, the excessive grimness of BvS left enough of an impression for the WB executives to try to force the franchise to immediately make a 180. Not that the studio isn't exactly blameless either, given that they seem to have no idea what they want besides money (much of their meddling suggests they're only concerned with short-term effects on the franchise) and are too worried about trying to catch up with Marvel to stop digging their own hole and let DC be its own thing.

And yes, I am a bit biased (though mainly in regards to Batman). Not as much towards Marvel as towards things like Batman: The Animated Series. I would really like to see the Caped Crusader get a live-action spiritual successor, exploring characters (Bat-Family, villains, and others) and themes in a setting that's dark but not excessively so (with major characters at least being well-established when things happen to them). I'd also like to see how Batman's experiences with the Justice League impact how he does his own thing in Gotham, though we're unlikely to see much (if any) of it now that we're getting yet another Bat-reboot.
    Last edited by Patrick_Nicholas; 05-14-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I loved Man of Steel and now I’m nervous to watch Batman v Superman because I know what happens and I don’t want Batman portrayed as a twat (because I love Batman) although I couldn’t bear Nolan’s Batman in the Dark Knight - his stupid voice took me out of the film. I thought Michael Keaton was great in the role

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Whoa, new Batman and Superman animated series coming to HBO Max and Cartoon Network. Producers include JJ Abrams, Tim Sale, and Matt Reeves. Yes please.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

hopefully a better-res version is released soon because that looks odd for some reason. the lighting, I think?

edit: the more I look at that Superman still the more I think I can't handle a Clark Kent with anime highlights.
    Last edited by allegate; 05-19-2021 at 03:42 PM.