Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Worlds of DC Thread

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I thought the opening sequence was supposed to show us her home world, but really it just illustrated a pouty, albeit gifted, brat.
    The bloat on this movie was ridiculous. I guess they figured since we're watching at home, we can pause for snack breaks, but c'mon. If you're pausing to see how much more of the movie you have to endure there's something wrong.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I thought Man of Steel was just ok, although mildly boring, Batman v Superman was bad, Suicide Squad was terible, and I liked Wonder Woman quite a bit (didn't even bother with Justice League, Aquaman, Shazam! and Birds of Prey after the bad experiences with BvS and Suicide Squad), so I went to see WW84 based on my feelings towards WW (the only DC Universe film I enjoyed) and I left disappointed. Just echoing what everyone else has said here. That opening sequence of that weird obstacle race was BAD.
    Actually, and I couldn't believe it myself either, but Shazam! is the best of the ones you listed. I thought Shazam! was actually fun. I saw all the others you've mentioned, and they're all blah. The first 2/3 of Wonder Woman 1 wasn't bad. The rest of the movies... snoooooooooooooooore.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    havent' watched WW84 yet but i've been seeing a LOT about it having rampant anti-arab messaging / islamophobia.

https://thegeekiary.com/addressing-t...man-1984/90595

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Worlds of DC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    havent' watched WW84 yet but i've been seeing a LOT about it having rampant anti-arab messaging / islamophobia.

https://thegeekiary.com/addressing-t...man-1984/90595
    This is why I never give a shit about reviews. That one, especially, just looks like someone trying to virtue signal... "Look at me, I'm so woke! I'm pointing something out that probably wasn't even what the writers were trying to illustrate." Personally, I think all the "anti-Arab / Islamophobia" scenes mentioned were more to focus on the corrupt ones within that community, and not necessarily about Arabs / Islam as a whole.

Just watch it yourself and form your own opinion. I seem to be in a minority of people that actually enjoyed the film, and was fond of the underlying message it had about Spoiler: giving into desire and what it can cost you. Yes, there are cheesy moments, but I think that's the result of people constantly complaining about the tone of the DC films and feeling obligated to cater to the Marvel fans.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 12-31-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I saw no islamophobia in the movie. Nothing so overt caught my eye at least.

Echoing many others, this movie is solid for about 75-90 minutes. It starts to lose me & fall part when she starts to fly (LOL no...please stop). Although how that car chase scene ends is goofy as hell too.

I think there's a good movie in there somewhere. Gadot & Pine's chemistry is SO good, just like the first movie. And I had no problem with how they explained away Pedro Pascal is doing the best he can here, and is fun to watch. I think the crucial error was cramming in a full story arc & ending for both Cheetah & Maxwell Lord. I think the movie could have been better served by having Lord slooooowly realize the full extent of what can do with his new "power". Have him working in the background, and culminate his arc in the next movie. Focus this movie on building the relationship between Cheetah & WW, so when it falls part it feels more tragic. And have that conflict be the sole one to focus on for the climax here.

Also, fix the terrible CGI on the lasso, and make it's length something realistic like the comics. I also cringed when they added out of nowhere a new ability for the lasso, but when I saw it was solely created & added to serve the plot later on, i at least got WHY they did it, even though it was still trash.

Side note, it's alarming how much of a literal perfect human specimen Gal Gadot is (physically). Flawless, and stunning.

::starts re-reading my Wonder Woman: Dead Earth hardcover, the best series I read this year, to get the taste of this movie out of my mouth::

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    It starts to lose me & fall part when she starts to fly (LOL no...please stop).
    Isn't it one of her powers though? Most of my comic book knowledge comes from the LEGO games, but she can fly in those.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    like most comic characters, the powers depend on the writer.
    Post-Crisis

In the Post-Crisis universe, Wonder Woman receives her super powers as a blessing from Olympian deities just like the Silver Age version before, but with changes to some of her powers:

Hermes, the messenger god of speed, granted Diana superhuman speed and the ability to fly. She is capable of flying at speeds approaching half the speed of light. She can react quickly enough to deflect bullets, lasers, and other projectiles with her virtually impenetrable bracelets. After the 2011 relaunch of the character, Wonder Woman does not naturally possess the power of flight. She gains it once she is hit by a feather thrown by Hermes.
    further down the page:
    The Invisible Plane was originally a necessity because Wonder Woman could not fly until the Crisis on Infinite Earths rewrote the character's history. She grew increasingly powerful during and after the Silver Age, acquiring the power to ride wind currents and imitate flight over short distances.
    Last edited by allegate; 01-04-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Huge if true.

DCEU will have two concurrent Batmen as it were, Pattinson and....Keaton.

Keaton will apparently be set up a la Nick Fury in the Marvel cinematic universe.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    That'd actually be interesting to see if he could tackle the serious side. I haven't seen him in a non-comedic role.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    been seeing that floating around a lot and my only question is what does A>E mean?

i have no issues with the rest of it and i really hope that he gets the justice (ha) and restitution he's seeking. joss whedon and the people with whom he associates just get worse and worse.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    been seeing that floating around a lot and my only question is what does A>E mean?

i have no issues with the rest of it and i really hope that he gets the justice (ha) and restitution he's seeking. joss whedon and the people with whom he associates just get worse and worse.
    Accountability>Entertainment

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Definitely better than how he looked in Suicide Squad (I mostly hated the face tattoos and grill). Looks like a combination of Ledger's and Phoenix's portrayals. I only worry that he'll be so different that it will effectively be an entirely new take/interpretation on The Joker that is completely disconnected from his previous appearance, though that might not be such a bad thing. Continuity in the DCEU is kind of already out the window anyway, so whatever!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I just don't know why they bothered. I mean if he wasn't in the film in the first place, then...why? I guess we'll find out in a month.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I just don't know why they bothered. I mean if he wasn't in the film in the first place, then...why? I guess we'll find out in a month.
    We're supposed to get a scene with him and batty actually interacting instead of getting a 10 second car chase we got in SS. I'm actually a bit more interested now after seeing this.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

They brought Junkie XL back for the score, huh. Frankly I feel like he peaked with Mad Max but maybe will be good for him.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I wasn't overtly bothered about this, but was a little interested by all the new updates...until i realized we don't have HBO Max in the UK and it'll likely be on Sky which i flat out cannot afford or even get installed, unless it goes to NOW TV and at that point i've put more effort into figuring out how to watch this then i care for so i'm just out. I hope it's good for everyone else though

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    That was fucking epic

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I'll be damned, the mad lad put the trailer out as 4:3.

Or is it IMAX? Either way not widescreen.
    Last edited by allegate; 02-14-2021 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    How is it that Leto’s Joker still bugged me and he had like two lines?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Because Leto?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I mean, I’m probably more of an apologist of his acting than most it seems. Loved him in Requiem, BR2049, a few others. I get the distaste to be sure. Just seems he could be more subdued with the joker and I’d dig it more. Oh well.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Ah. I don't feel one way or the other - I think he's fine - but I know there are people who have visceral reactions to him. And I get that, I have the same for other actors.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Also, wasn’t his reveal like what, two weeks ago? They should’ve kept his scene in this secret until the end of the trailer. That would’ve blown up ten fold lol.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    They actually had Leto say “we live in a society” lolololol

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    More Diana and more Barry, I'm in. I would have prefered more Luthor and less Joker though.

And more Alfred. You can't go wrong with more Alfred.