Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Worlds of DC Thread

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Considering Black Mask's NAME is Black Mask and one of his main characteristics is how his Black Mask is stuck on his face it would be very stupid if they don't have him IN A FUCKING BLACK MASK in this film...but that's just me.
    You know how it is with superhero movie posters for characters who wear a helmet, but the actor is famous and their face MUST be seen. Just look at the posters for the MCU movies — most of the time Iron Man and Spider-Man have their mask/helmet off so they can show the actor's face. It doesn't necessarily mean Black Mask won't wear his mask in the movie.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Jeffrey Wright (Westworld) is Commissioner Gordon in ‘The Batman’.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Sounds like Jonah Hill might be the new Riddler (or possibly Penguin) in The Batman.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Wtf. I want to go see the movie but I don't want to get shot

https://io9.gizmodo.com/u-s-military...iol-1838412331

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    wtf. I want to go see the movie but i don't want to get shot

fucking hell!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Here we go again, blaming entertainment.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

It's because incels are fucking pathetic. "Waaah, I can't get a girlfriend. It's everyone elses fault!" Hey, maybe you're just an asshole. These people can't take responsibility for themselves being shitty human beings inside. This just shows how big of cowards they really are when they have to threaten to murder innocent people. Seriously, these incels need to be put into long-term psychiatric care. It ain't movies, this is an American mental disorder.
    Last edited by neorev; 09-26-2019 at 01:02 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Imagine if they tried to release A Clockwork Orange in today's time?
    Damn incels! First they took our Pepe and now the Joker!
    Bought my ticket for the 3rd.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Imagine if they tried to release A Clockwork Orange in today's time?
    I mean, Kubrick did ask it to be pulled in UK cinemas when it was released because he did fear what would happen.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I mean, Kubrick did ask it to be pulled in UK cinemas when it was released because he did fear what would happen.
    Yes, and it wasn't released for home entertainment media until after he died. Crazy stuff.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I stand corrected.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It was never clear why he had it pulled, as he defended the film from critics. Also, as far as I'm aware, the criminals that were inspired by film never actually watched it, just heard about it second hand.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    It's fucking crazy that we're at a point wear films/media that depict the WORST HUMAN'S POSSIBLE can inspire absolute tools to think "yeah, i wanna be like that guy"...but then i remember there are people that actually wanna be fucking Nazi's...where the fuck did we go wrong?!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    It's fucking crazy that we're at a point wear films/media that depict the WORST HUMAN'S POSSIBLE can inspire absolute tools to think "yeah, i wanna be like that guy"...but then i remember there are people that actually wanna be fucking Nazi's...where the fuck did we go wrong?!
    Perhaps it's because humans naturally gravitate towards conflict. We haven't had a full-scale war since WWII, and since then, people have become complacent in their safety. Now, especially with the anonymity of the Internet, it's easy to seek and and/or initiate conflict from the comfort of our own homes. Those who want war can form groups with others from all over the country, even the world. It's worrying to think about.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Perhaps it's because humans naturally gravitate towards conflict. We haven't had a full-scale war since WWII, and since then, people have become complacent in their safety. Now, especially with the anonymity of the Internet, it's easy to seek and and/or initiate conflict from the comfort of our own homes. Those who want war can form groups with others from all over the country, even the world. It's worrying to think about.
    Back in my day we would deal with the sense on complacency and our thirst for conflict by joining an underground fighting club that you weren't allowed to talk about.

Forbes has an interesting article about the panic surround this movie. It compares what is happening now to how D&D was demonized in the 80s and how "goth" culture was looked at in the wake of Columbine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidip.../#6fc0e353b564

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Forbes has an interesting article about the panic surround this movie. It compares what is happening now to how D&D was demonized in the 80s and how "goth" culture was looked at in the wake of Columbine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidip.../#6fc0e353b564
    It's a bit different. D&D players and goths are harmless geeks for the most part, with Satanic and/or violent aspects being projected onto them by Christian fundamentalists. Just because one member of a subculture decides to commit a crime doesn't mean that everyone who dresses like them should be demonised. The important thing to note here is that D&D/goth is not a world view or a sociopolitical standpoint.

For Joker, it's the opposite. Incels are already known to have maligned and potentially dangerous points of view. They're not playing some game or listening to a specific genre of music, their entire raison d'etre is to be misogynistic hatelords who blame everyone else for their own failings (especially women, who they see as sub-human). They view instigators of mass shootings as saints. To associate themselves with such an utterly evil, twisted character as the Joker says it all, really. People have been gunned down in cinemas over less. There is a real threat here of actually dying, and people are understandably scared.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Hard pass.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^^
    But, but... Margot Robbie!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    From that trailer if you told me Huntress and Black Canary were in it i wouldn't have believed you, they didn't even try to make them stand out in any way. This looks awful!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    DOA movie, tbh.

It looks like the director was given a vague description of the characters and didn't bother to look them up. It also looks like they've never read a graphic novel.

As someone who's actually read quite a bit of Birds of Prey, this looks atrocious. To make a movie based on the comic and not even mention Barbara Gordon/Oracle in the trailer is absurd. I imagine a fair proportion of the fanbase is going to be insulted, especially as this series was the way DC gave her agency in her disabled state (which I'm not sure is still a thing).

Reserving judgement for now, although honestly, life's too short to waste time on sub-par entertainment. I'll wait for reviews.
    Last edited by katara; 10-01-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Yeah, no. I was NOT a fan of Suicide Squad (Will Smith & Margot Robbie were the only good parts), but this makes that movie look fantastic by comparison. Probably won't even bother renting this one.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Is her accent different compared to SS? Because it sounds...weird. Maybe it's the Aussie accent fighting with whatever that was?

Also I had a "is that Rosie Perez?" moment but figured no it's just a lookalike. Credits came up and I was like no shit, it was Rosie.

Still a hard pass.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Fire everybody.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I mean i love MEW...but they're really trying to make me NOT want to see this. I'll admit i'm not that familiar with the GN's, but this isn't making me want to rush out a read them...and i thought the posters were bad.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    It’s not the shot shit show I was expecting, still not for me. My wife on the other hand think it looks cute. I’m going to have to convince either one of her friends to go with her or I’m going to have to break ketosis and drink a few during it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    No idea why Mary E. Winstead forces me to watch shitty movies, but this looks on par with Suicide Squad. Heck, it looks a little funnier, but ultimately not what I wanted this to be like. And c'mon... Ewan McGregor plays a cheeky over the top mobster instead of a highly prolific gangster and slighty fear inducing Black Mask from the comics? And yes, Robbie's dialect is strange here, but she seems to rule the part still. Yay, for the Hyenas!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    No idea why Mary E. Winstead forces me to watch shitty movies, but this looks on par with Suicide Squad. Heck, it looks a little funnier, but ultimately not what I wanted this to be like. And c'mon... Ewan McGregor plays a cheeky over the top mobster instead of a highly prolific gangster and slighty fear inducing Black Mask from the comics? And yes, Robbie's dialect is strange here, but she seems to rule the part still. Yay, for the Hyenas!
    Hey it could be worse, it's not like she's in anything else that's not very good right now...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gemini_man_2019

...oh for fucks sake!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I've watched the "Birds of Prey" trailer a few times now and... I'm not really sure why but I'm getting a Batman Forever vibe from it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I've watched the "Birds of Prey" trailer a few times now and... I'm not really sure why but I'm getting a Batman Forever vibe from it.
    I feel like it's because of the color palette (and sub-par acting?).

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I feel like it's because of the color palette
    A big part of it...

(and sub-par acting?).
    More the over-the-top aspects of the performances... if MacGregor utters a stupid pun, I wouldn't be suprised.