Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Worlds of DC Thread

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    It doesn't just "tack on" extra runtime. It obmitts scenes from the 2017 version, while also incorporating scenes that were shot especially for this cut. I'd say at least get ur facts straight.

For example, all the sexist jokes aimed at Lois Lane are missing. They must have been later additions in 2017 done by Whedon.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    It doesn't just "tack on" extra runtime. It obmitts scenes from the 2017 version, while also incorporating scenes that were shot especially for this cut. I'd say at least get ur facts straight.

For example, all the sexist jokes aimed at Lois Lane are missing. They must have been later additions in 2017 done by Whedon.
    The New York Post said it, not me. Chiiiiiiill.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Affleck is the best Batman.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    I don't think there's really a passionate "best batman" debate, perhaps because the role is just not that interesting and doesn't require much of the actor.

That said, I'm going to completely contradict myself here and passionately throw my weight behind Adam West.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I don't think there's really a passionate "best batman" debate, perhaps because the role is just not that interesting and doesn't require much of the actor.

That said, I'm going to completely contradict myself here and passionately throw my weight behind Adam West.
    kevin fuckin' conroy

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Michael Keaton was a lot of fun, but for me, it's Christian Bale. Batfleck was underrated and better than anyone thought he would be, I just wish he had been in a movie that was actually good. I can't compare live action to the animated series, though.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    lol

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    kevin fuckin' conroy
    Yeah, absolutely valid choice and I was thinking of him as the best "straight player." Batman TAS really strikes an excellent balance.

60's batman is lightning in a bottle though. All Batman movies have their own dated camp in retrospect, but Adam West Batman was the only one that settled into it as an identity, although, dare I say, the schumacher Batman's also embraced their sense of camp whole heartedly, neither Kilmer for Clooney was really up for it the way Adam West was. The scripts are absolutely insane in that era, the plotting is outrageous and bizarre and the dialogue is legitimately witty, this tangled winding screwball way of talking that seems impossible to emulate.

It's truly the exact opposite of Snyder, who in embracing ultra serious melodrama has made what is already and infamously hilarious and stupid, campy movie

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Oh there was no hate in my post, just pointing out the obvious. I've never watched the show because I'm usually too busy to sit in front of my computer for that long. I do listen to the podcast though. The only complaint I have is that Kevin talks over everyone, sometimes they barely get a word in edgewise.

I think little things like that are just a thorn in the side of fans. For every ten articles I read about Vision and the memory 'transfer', maybe one gets it right even though it's literally in the conversation they're having as to what is happening. They spell it out and the people writing still get it wrong.

EDIT: case in point RE: ZSJL - they show Bruce get on a horse, stirrups and all. the next three shots of Bruce are with him walking beside the horse. they do eventually show him riding the horse again but that they immediately cut to walking was annoying. it's little, but that I noticed it reminded me that this is a film with editors, not a story.

Much like The Wolverine had editing errors throughout and people say it's the 2nd best Wolvie movie.
    Kevin Smith talks more than any human that ever lived. He would agree with this haha. Most of the time I just listen too but the video is nice because you get to see Kevin give people funny wide eyed looks as he's talking over them, as if he's saying I know I should shut up and let you talk but I just can't.

I hear you with the Vision thing. It's almost as if people who spend their time writing those articles don't actually pay attention to the films they're supposed to review. Maybe they are too busy "taking notes" or "live tweeting" as they watch to actually take it all in. Who knows.

As per your edit above^

I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly here. My bad if I am, so couple questions to clarify. Do you mean the scene at the beginning when Wayne is going to Aquaman's village? Are you saying it was poor editing to have cut from Wayne on and then off the horse? Forgive me if that's not what you were even talking about. If you were talking about that scene, I think I disagree with you. I think those cuts are to show that it was a very lengthy travel. The first shot is him putting out a camp fire, indicating the journey has been long enough to need to sleep on the cold ground. Then he mounts the horse like you mention, in the stirrups. The next shot is indeed walking but now the landscape has changed. Each cut that follows indicates more travel. When he's walking it's either deep snow or a steep hill with rocks all around. When he's riding its on land that's easier for the horse to navigate, less rocks, less steep a hill, less snow. And each take is only a few seconds so in terms of editing it seems like a pretty efficient way to show how difficult the trek would be. There's even a line about it once he's in the village. I don't remember exactly but one of the villagers seemed in disbelief a person could have made the trip there in that weather. Actually, I think I remember him saying "impossible."

Also, what do you mean by a film with editors, not a story? Seemed a pretty basic passage of time sequence to me. This film is leagues ahead of the 2017 version in terms of using cinematic language in my opinion. That version was a clusterfuck. This version knows when to let something breathe. It's pretty well paced and that's an accomplishment in itself for something 4 hours long.

I'm almost certain I misread you. But it kinda reminded me of when the Dark Knight Rises came out and people complained because "How did batman get to Gotham from where he was in Bane's pit?" I mean, do we gotta have a 30 min sequence in there of Bruce getting on a plane for these people? Folks like that are the reason "focus groups" became a thing.

LOL the Wolverine. I forgot that movie existed the second I saw Logan.
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 03-19-2021 at 05:45 AM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post

SPOILERS

Anyone who thinks this is like the 2017 with two extra hours tacked on must have brain rot or something. It's different in tone, pacing, story, scope, and intention. Batman isn't made out to be a joke the whole time. He's not lying on the ground in the middle of the overly post production filtered sunny daytime saying dumb shit like "ouch, somethings definitely bleeding." Superman isn't describing death as feeling "itchy" to Lois (I mean who the fuck let that be in the actual movie last time around?), Steppenwolf isn't referring to the mother-boxes as if they were his mother 80 goddam times in this movie. MOTHHHERR!!! do it for MOOtheer! In fact I don't think he says it once. Instead, he's making it clear he's serving Darkseid, which you know, actually makes sense. The cgi, they at least tried to make look artistic, even if I hate this much cgi in just about anything. It's not a perfect movie but it's better than anything else to come out of DC post Snyder-verse with the exception of Joker. Whedon was trying to do a pop song like Marvel. This is metal.

And can we talk about Cyborg? I didn't know why he was even in the Whedon cut. In this he's easily the most standout character, particularly among the non-trinity characters. Just who the fuck is getting paid at Warner Bros. to make decisions like throwing that character away? But lets give Aquaman his own mini universe of movies? Isn't it obvious that if any one of these characters is worth trying to put a modern spin on, its Cyborg. I mean he's half human, half tech and we live in a world where people are headed in that same direction more and more every day. Can't be too hard a code to crack. But no, they want to make fucking JJ Abrams Superman with Michael B. Jordan. Nobody wants that bullshit. At least a Cyborg movie would be grounds for some original writing. I suppose that'd be too much to ask for.

And holy shit. Batman talking about Harley Quinn dying in his arms while telling him to kill the Joker slow for her. Show me THAT movie. I don't even care who's in it I just want the story. Put the girl from the Big Bang Theory in it and recast Clooney as bats if you got to but make it happen! Just get weird with it.

ok, /rant
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 03-19-2021 at 06:42 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    OK i'm not for or against the cut but this made spit out my coffee laughing...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey_Draws View Post
    OK i'm not for or against the cut but this made spit out my coffee laughing...

is that to the tune of "triangle man" by they might be giants? because that's what my brain did with it

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    is that to the tune of "triangle man" by they might be giants? because that's what my brain did with it
    My brain went directly to the Spider-Man theme song which, in this case, is probably heresy.

Watching it tonight. Curiosity will be my death.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Kevin Smith talks more than any human that ever lived. He would agree with this haha. Most of the time I just listen too but the video is nice because you get to see Kevin give people funny wide eyed looks as he's talking over them, as if he's saying I know I should shut up and let you talk but I just can't.

I hear you with the Vision thing. It's almost as if people who spend their time writing those articles don't actually pay attention to the films they're supposed to review. Maybe they are too busy "taking notes" or "live tweeting" as they watch to actually take it all in. Who knows.

As per your edit above^

I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly here. My bad if I am, so couple questions to clarify. Do you mean the scene at the beginning when Wayne is going to Aquaman's village? Are you saying it was poor editing to have cut from Wayne on and then off the horse? Forgive me if that's not what you were even talking about. If you were talking about that scene, I think I disagree with you. I think those cuts are to show that it was a very lengthy travel. The first shot is him putting out a camp fire, indicating the journey has been long enough to need to sleep on the cold ground. Then he mounts the horse like you mention, in the stirrups. The next shot is indeed walking but now the landscape has changed. Each cut that follows indicates more travel. When he's walking it's either deep snow or a steep hill with rocks all around. When he's riding its on land that's easier for the horse to navigate, less rocks, less steep a hill, less snow. And each take is only a few seconds so in terms of editing it seems like a pretty efficient way to show how difficult the trek would be. There's even a line about it once he's in the village. I don't remember exactly but one of the villagers seemed in disbelief a person could have made the trip there in that weather. Actually, I think I remember him saying "impossible."

Also, what do you mean by a film with editors, not a story? Seemed a pretty basic passage of time sequence to me. This film is leagues ahead of the 2017 version in terms of using cinematic language in my opinion. That version was a clusterfuck. This version knows when to let something breathe. It's pretty well paced and that's an accomplishment in itself for something 4 hours long.

I'm almost certain I misread you. But it kinda reminded me of when the Dark Knight Rises came out and people complained because "How did batman get to Gotham from where he was in Bane's pit?" I mean, do we gotta have a 30 min sequence in there of Bruce getting on a plane for these people? Folks like that are the reason "focus groups" became a thing.

LOL the Wolverine. I forgot that movie existed the second I saw Logan.
    RE editing: I will admit that it sticks out more for me for some reason when I see a bad edit of a scene. The reason this one sticks out for me is that they spend ten seconds showing Bruce getting ready to get on the horse, and then specifically a shot of his foot going into the stirrup, and then he sits on the saddle. It then immediately cuts to several blank landscape shots and then him walking by the horse. I totally get the idea that it's a long trip, they sell that very well, but if you're going to show me someone getting on a horse you better show him on the damn horse the next time you see them. I admit it's a little thing that bugs me, so please understand that this is my enjoyment of the film that I'm discussing. I just didn't like the cuts, the language of the film wasn't working for me.

So no, you read it right. I'm a curmudgeon.

As for Batman/Bane - eh. There are ways to not show how a hero got from one place to another almost instantly. Some work, some don't. I think a big part of when it works is that the rest of the film says "hey, we're going to be loosey goosey with reality" and the audience says "sure, let's go". If the audience can't buy into that, the audience will look at it funny and say "what" every time. I didn't really care about the how of the trip from there to Gotham but I can see why others would.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    RE editing: I will admit that it sticks out more for me for some reason when I see a bad edit of a scene. The reason this one sticks out for me is that they spend ten seconds showing Bruce getting ready to get on the horse, and then specifically a shot of his foot going into the stirrup, and then he sits on the saddle. It then immediately cuts to several blank landscape shots and then him walking by the horse. I totally get the idea that it's a long trip, they sell that very well, but if you're going to show me someone getting on a horse you better show him on the damn horse the next time you see them. I admit it's a little thing that bugs me, so please understand that this is my enjoyment of the film that I'm discussing. I just didn't like the cuts, the language of the film wasn't working for me.

So no, you read it right. I'm a curmudgeon.

As for Batman/Bane - eh. There are ways to not show how a hero got from one place to another almost instantly. Some work, some don't. I think a big part of when it works is that the rest of the film says "hey, we're going to be loosey goosey with reality" and the audience says "sure, let's go". If the audience can't buy into that, the audience will look at it funny and say "what" every time. I didn't really care about the how of the trip from there to Gotham but I can see why others would.
    You're a madman.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm two hours in. So far, it's meh. Is it better than the theatrical cut? I guess so, yeah, but so far still not great. Steppenwolf just sucks. Also, something about this movie just looks ugly. I get it, it's Snyder's "dark" vision. But it just looks ugly. Lois Lane's "I'm sad" scenes feel so crammed in. The pacing is all off.
    @allegate Did you see that horrible looking fx scene with Jesse Eisenberg and Steppenwolf early on, where Jesse looks quite badly Photoshopped in the water? It was worse than Mark Ruffalo's floating head in the Iron Man mech suit.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I'm two hours in. So far, it's meh. Is it better than the theatrical cut? I guess so, yeah, but so far still not great. Steppenwolf just sucks. Also, something about this movie just looks ugly. I get it, it's Snyder's "dark" vision. But it just looks ugly. Lois Lane's "I'm sad" scenes feel so crammed in. The pacing is all off.
    @allegate Did you see that horrible looking fx scene with Jesse Eisenberg and Steppenwolf early on, where Jesse looks quite badly Photoshopped in the water? It was worse than Mark Ruffalo's floating head in the Iron Man mech suit.
    I've been watching it on my phone - yeah, well, I know - and I do recall that scene, though I was looking at Steppenwolf. I'm downloading it to my iPad so I can finish it on a 'larger' screen.

This is an odd complaint but the screen isn't centered on my phone. It's slightly to the right of center and it actually puts the menu off-screen a bit. Like, to get to the subtitle menu I had to tap the very edge of the screen and only half of the icon was showing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I've been watching it on my phone - yeah, well, I know - and I do recall that scene, though I was looking at Steppenwolf. I'm downloading it to my iPad so I can finish it on a 'larger' screen.

This is an odd complaint but the screen isn't centered on my phone. It's slightly to the right of center and it actually puts the menu off-screen a bit. Like, to get to the subtitle menu I had to tap the very edge of the screen and only half of the icon was showing.
    I was watching it on my TV. I don't really watch videos on my phone or tablet. Even YouTube, I use my TV app. I like the big screen and spoiled. That Lex in water scene looked so bad.

Oh, and I still frigging hate this aspect ratio choice after watching 2 hours of it. It really seems like it was unnecessary. It hasn't added anything to the viewing experience except for making the movie feel small. I get it, it's his vision, and I'm glad DC will be moving on from his vision.
    Last edited by neorev; 03-19-2021 at 11:35 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Screenshot_20210319-221012.png

So there you can see how it's not centered at all. Can't see anything because of the security so whatever there but the controls are clearly off-screen on the left.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I can't imagine watching a movie on a phone, or an ipad for that matter, much less a 4 hour marathon. I guess at least a smaller screen makes the Luthor cgi scene look better though so there's that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I stopped at 2 hours. I may watch the rest tomorrow. I got a new mixer for my studio coming though, so that may occupy my time.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I still do not understand how the Mother boxes were "lost." Did Darkseid forget the planet he just invaded and left them on?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I still do not understand how the Mother boxes were "lost." Did Darkseid forget the planet he just invaded and left them on?
    You do have a point. Especially since it was on the planet where he got his ass kicked so soundly.

I agree that it's an improvement. However, it is bloated and the pacing is atrocious. All that slo-mo, seriously. Oh look: Diana looks worried in sloooo-moooo. Lois is mopping in slooooo-moooo. Arthur's hair is moving in sloooooo-mooooo. Barry calls Diana "Wonder Woman" is slo--- wait, that was at normal speed. Where did he got the Wonder Woman moniker again? Heck if I know.

What it got best: Cyborg's story. Definitely more interesting. It also fills plotlines that were left hanging, especially concerning Bruce's dreams/visions and Barry's visit from the future. No more Russian family and creepy colored flowers. Sorry guys, it never made sense that you were living there in the first place.

Everything Whedon was removed but not everything Whedon was bad. Making The Flash anxious about going into battle against aliens made him more relatable; it's not because you've got super powers that you have no fear about your well being. Wondering if being brought back from the dead would change Superman was not stupid either.

That being said: I'm going to miss the Batfleck. And his Alfred. More Alfred was awesome. He's a sarcastic badass who knew the proper way to make tea.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    It was an improvement, but the word that comes to mind is indulgent. If the pandemic never happened, this wouldn't have been made.

I liked more info about Cyborg and Barry. The Aquaman scenes made more sense/ tied into that movie better. I have no clue why Mera now has a bad British accent? Superman being revived was better, and thank god they got rid of that stupid "do you bleed?" crap. I was glad that most of the campy/ corny one-liners were nixed.

I didn't feel the epilogue with the Joker was necessary.

Is it an amazing film? No. But it is better than the Whedon edit by a lot. It's just too bloated. I get that it was supposed to be a multi-film thing. Some of Snyder's ideas are just weird - Lois and Batman romance? WTF?

It's a shame. I like the characters and the actors who portray them. I would really like to have another Superman film, and wouldn't mind seeing more of Cyborg or the Flash.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    I can't imagine watching a movie on a phone, or an ipad for that matter, much less a 4 hour marathon. I guess at least a smaller screen makes the Luthor cgi scene look better though so there's that.

I was at work and had a mandatory meeting so I prepared for it by downloading it before I left in the morning.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I find a lot of Tom Holkenborg's scores generic and unforgettable score. This score is especially all over the place. Then again, so is the whole movie's pacing. The heavy rock music stuff feels like a joke. That overdramatic Amazonian choir is reused over and over. Parademons just look silly as hell. Steppenwolf is such a crap villain. If I have to hear him say say the "You've been near a mother box's, it's scent is on you one" more fucking time. That "I belong to no one" was another cringe moment. I think Gal Gadot sucks as an actress. I still find it absurd that Darkseid forgot where the mother boxes were. I don't understand why they copied the Darkseid landing scene with Steppenwolf to say he discovered Earth was the lost world. Of course, it is. It's where you left the damn boxes you already found. Oh, another Steppenwolf conference call. Oh, another Lois Lane is sad scene. Darkseid is a crap Thor. Darkseid is supposed to be so great, but forgot the planet he got his ass kicked on. Also, Aquaman does like a 180. He goes from the reluctant guy to "Alright! My man!" in a chapter break. No one really has an arc. And did I mention Flash is terrible? I did like Ben Affleck's Batman and wish we got his Batman movie. This story/script has bigger problems than Whedon. It follows the usual superhero tropes and doesn't bring anything new or interesting. Snyder's vision, if he has one, still gives us a movie that feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be. It's a 4 hour trip through superhero ADHD land. I'm sorry, but this movie just shows that Snyder is overrated. He wasn't a good choice and I see why they lost faith in him. He only does something halfway decent when he sticks very, very close to the source material. I wish I could get my 4 hours back.
    Last edited by neorev; 03-20-2021 at 10:06 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I have no interest in the Snyder cut. But have wanted to see what everyone’s opinion of it are. All I can say is that of course Snyder uses too much Slow motion. Lol, it’s his signature move in directing. It was annoying in 300, Watchmen. By Sucker Punch it was so bad that I can’t believe someone hasn’t told him it isn’t cool to see anymore. Safe to say I am not a fan of his direction and will probably not ever watch a movie of his again. I am glad some of you are really digging it though, the characters deserve better than they have gotten.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    They weren't lost. Steppenwolf got the news that "the god is dead" in the Luthor scene from BvS. So he goes there to investigate and is going to try and get the boxes back. Then he reports to Darkseid's henchmen "no lanterns, no kryptonian." In the process of him getting all the boxes he finds out that the "anti-life equation" has been carved into earth's surface. This is the information that is new to them. They've been looking for this equation but had no idea where it was. The mother boxes are a big deal to them, but the anti-life equation is checkmate, game over Darkseid wins, everyone go home. That is why Darkseid doesn't even appear to Steppenwolf when its just the mother boxes. When its anti-life, he shows up immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    It was an improvement, but the word that comes to mind is indulgent. If the pandemic never happened, this wouldn't have been made.

I didn't feel the epilogue with the Joker was necessary.

Is it an amazing film? No. But it is better than the Whedon edit by a lot. It's just too bloated. I get that it was supposed to be a multi-film thing. Some of Snyder's ideas are just weird - Lois and Batman romance? WTF?

It's a shame. I like the characters and the actors who portray them. I would really like to have another Superman film, and wouldn't mind seeing more of Cyborg or the Flash.
    Yes, this is not the exact movie that would've been made if all that shit in 2017 didn't go down. It is indulgent. All the scenes after the final Superman rips shirt scene are pretty much extra. They're just there to give a hint as to where it would have gone. The same way comics often have hooks at the end. It's for the fans mainly. The indulgence makes it fun for me. It's really a unicorn type of movie.

The Bruce, Lois idea isn't actually in the film. It was an idea back when Snyder was first pitching these films but it got shot down. It's also not without precedent. In the right context it could work too. This exact thing happens in Superman The Animated Series, and people love that series.

After the 2017 film I was questioning why they went with Cyborg instead of a Lantern or someone else. After this cut, I'm thinking the studio messed up, Cyborg should have a shot at his own film.

I was at work and had a mandatory meeting so I prepared for it by downloading it before I left in the morning.
    Ah, I see. I take back what I said. Anyone who can waste time at work on anything related to Batman and get paid for it has my full endorsement!

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burninglard View Post
    I have no interest in the Snyder cut. But have wanted to see what everyone’s opinion of it are. All I can say is that of course Snyder uses too much Slow motion. Lol, it’s his signature move in directing. It was annoying in 300, Watchmen. By Sucker Punch it was so bad that I can’t believe someone hasn’t told him it isn’t cool to see anymore. Safe to say I am not a fan of his direction and will probably not ever watch a movie of his again. I am glad some of you are really digging it though, the characters deserve better than they have gotten.
    Totally understandable opinion to have. If you don't like tons of slow motion, you won't like Snyder's movies at all, in fact you'd hate them. And that's ok. I actually really like 300 and Watchmen. I've never seen nor care to see sucker punch. As a comics fan, slow motion is kind of the film equivalent of a full page splash or something like that. It's not for everyone.

It did make me remember this video though. Slow motion is discussed around 1:25, and 4:15.

And please don't get me twisted. I love Batman movies but in no way am I comparing this to a master like Lynch. That is a blasphemy I would never commit. But, if it's ok to have a guy watering his lawn in slow motion, it must be ok to have the Flash save a hot dog during a car crash. lol