Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1481

Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Just re-watched the excellent Reinvention DVD documentary about Gary's career. It's a fascinating glimpse at all the highlights (and lowlights) from an interior perspective. It prompted me to think about Gary's live bands (of which there have been many) over the years.

The original Living Ornaments '79/'80 live band included members from the early television and radio appearances billed as Tubeway Army (including Gary's bass maestro Paul Gardiner and also the tremendous drummer Ced Sharpley, both of whom were heroically talented and supportive of Numan's sound in those early fame days). They also included Chris Payne, who along with RRussell [sic] Bell formed the multi-instrumentalist backbone of the band Dramatis that spun-off on its own (releasing one very good LP, For Future Reference, with Numan providing guest vocals on one track) after playing for Gary at Wembley Arena in '81, his final three UK performances for years. Their primary keyboard player Denis Haynes took the seat in Numan's band left by Billy Currie (vacating early 1980 when he re-joined Ultravox), which was also filled in the Teletour era by Roger Mason.

Mason along with a batch of other British players came over from the UK when Numan rehearsed in Los Angeles mid-1982 (in tax exile) for a relatively low-profile I, Assassin North American tour. This was a big change in lineup, with the awesome Pino Palladino holding down the funk basis of Gary's post-Dance fretless bass grooves. While there is some tantalizing footage of this band on the Reinvention DVD (I wish there was more included as a bonus feature!), an official full-length release from the tour has sadly never happened. Unfortunately, great as his explosive sound was, the alliance with drummer Chris Slade disintegrated in personal acrimony (he'd go on to play with AC/DC, which seemed more fitting to his temperament). Gary's own brother John Webb joined as well and would stay for years, later going on to record music on his own today under the alias Donovan Silver. A guitar player from the band Japan, Rob Dean, rounded out the tour lineup, with everyone decked out in shimmering-white 1930s gangster duds. When Numan returned to the UK in 1983, most of Dramatis returned to backing him up, with the addition of funky slap bass player Joe Hubbard. I don't think this lineup ever gelled, despite basically remaining intact for the following few years (except for new bassists and backing vocalists).

In 1987, the lineup shifted again with Ced being replaced by Greg Brimstone on drums. By this point, Numan had had gone from having one dedicated backing vocalist, Karen Taylor on the Berserker tour (documented on the White Noise live album and subsequently 2008's archival Cold Warning DVD), to two with the addition of Kit Rolfe for The Fury tour. Andy Coughlan played bass in this period. Both of the backing singers on the 1987 Exhibition tour were sisters, Emma and Valerie Chalmers. This lineup was recorded for the Ghost live album, which had Brimstone and Nick Davis on bass. For the Metal Rhythm tour in 1988, Sharpley and Coughlan came back but John Webb did not, with keyboardist Ade Orange joining the lineup for the first time. While Payne was still in this role, after 1993 for almost fifteen years Orange would become Numan's primary live multi-instrumentalist. New backing vocalists Cathi Ogden and Diana Wood joined for a short 1989 tour, documented as a live video originally called The Skin Mechanic and reissued under various dodgy names on budget labels.

With Numan's career on life support, the band significantly shrunk and only Sharpley retained from the original lineup in 1991. Even I lose track of this period, it's not well documented with live audio and video, but John Webb switched to playing bass, and studio musicians Mike Smith and Keith Beauvais played keyboards and guitar, respectively. Jackie Rawe sang backup in 1991 Susie Webb in 1992, and TJ Davies in 1993. The guitarist Kipper replaced Beauvais on record and stage at this point, with Ced Sharpley finally departing to be replaced by the undeniably great Richard Beasley, who has consistently performed with Numan on nearly every subsequent tour up to this day. Their firey show at London's Hammersmith Apollo was documented on Dream Corrosion, with a setlist drawn from more deep cuts in Gary's catalogue. He dropped the backing vocalists altogether on the Sacrifice tour, which was brilliantly documented on the album Dark Light.

In 1996, Numan's career was on an upswing again and he hired keyboardist David Brooks, who would become another mainstay, and guitarist Steve Harris who is also still touring with Numan to the present day. This group stayed in place for years, with many live albums documenting their shows, and only occasional changes in performing lineup with Rob Holliday joining as an additional bassist/guitarist in 2003-2006. Chris McCormack would also take over guitar for Harris for a few years. It was with the 2007 Jagged shows that Ade Orange and Rob Holliday left the band, to be replaced by Numan's current co-producer Ade Fenton and current bassist Tim Muddiman. Other players have temporarily filled in from time to time, including the keyboardists Gareth Thomas, Josh Giroux, and Presley, Frank Zummo on drums, Mark Thwaite on guitar, and Marc Sallis and Tim Slade on bass, but the lineup has been fairly stable otherwise. Numan reports having a very close relationship with his band again and this has led to him enjoying his more extensive world tours in recent years. Members of the original band have also dropped in and guested on the occasional song during retrospective-focused shows, which is always a rare treat. And, of course, backing vocals have come back once again in the form of Persia Numan guesting on stage for "My Name Is Ruin".

Can't wait to see what's in store for the (R)Evolution 40th anniversary tour coming up in the fall! Some never-before-played stuff would be quite exciting, and from the sound of it, rehearsals will begin very soon once the Numan family returns from summer holidays.
    Last edited by botley; 08-09-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I hope the next update gives us info about the Sacrifice, Exile and Pure new versions. Honestly more excited about those and “Intruder” than the new Tool record.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Beggars' Arkive is releasing a pair of two-disc sets (both available in 2xCD format and also as 2xLP colour vinyl flavours) of all the demos/early recordings that survive from the Replicas & Pleasure Principle sessions in 1979, with the old BBC live sessions on John Peel's radio show thrown in as well. This is the first time they've compiled all of these non-album cuts from that landmark year in Gary's career as standalone packages.

Having already bit the bullet on Replicas Redux (the limited 3xCD version from eleven years ago), and the Complete John Peel Sessions CD from 2007, I've got most of these already... but there are a few tracks on The Pleasure Principle - First Recordings CDs that are truly new. I don't feel bad about buying it either, because I never double-dipped on the 30th Anniversary CD back in '09... so that's another day-one pre-order from me on Townsend Music! Glad this is going to be out there in time for the tour as well. They're cutting it pretty close to have the new editions of Sacrifice/Exile/Pure ready in time too.
    Last edited by botley; 08-21-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm pretty hype for the prospect of new editions of Sacrifice, Exile, and Pure. When (if) they're released, I'll probably pick up two of each.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there a proper live Version of replicas from the early 80s like this?
    Last edited by Brando; 08-22-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post

Is there a proper live Version of replicas from the early 80s like this?
    Yes, in fact, there is!

Get the album Engineers from the 1980 Australian shows. It was dropped from his set (for 14 years!) soon after those gigs... don't know if there is any video from those.
    Last edited by botley; 08-24-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, ok, thank you. But that one is hard to get. Only torrent

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    €10 used copies on Discogs: Gary Numan - Engineers

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Posted on 09/09/2019 by Gary Numan Making Music

Bringing you up to date with the latest progress on the album before I leave again for the (R)evolution tour tomorrow. The video is about 16 minutes long and covers everything that's happened since the summer break. These are the final lyrics to Intruder and The End Of Dragons.

Intruder

I could listen to you scream

Pretty music to my ears

I could listen to it all day

If you want me to?

I could talk about my world

How you brought about ruin

I could talk about your greed

If you want me to?

I could look into evil

See a heart just like mine

I could throw away reason

If you want me to?

I could walk into darkness

Find the hole you crawled in to

I will be the intruder

If you want me to?

You can whisper your Lord’s Prayer

And pretend that it matters

But don’t you wish you’d just listened more?

You can hide in the shadows

And pretend I won’t find you

I could listen to more lies

About promises you kept

Will you walk on water

Like you said you would?

I could make you my prisoner

But you were dead men talking

When you burned the oceans.

Like you said you would

You can beg for God’s mercy

And pretend that He hears you

You can drown in your sorrow

And pretend you were helpless

This was always your one life

I won’t pretend that it matters

This was always your one home

I won’t pretend that I’ll miss you

The End Of Dragons

Sometimes, when I’m sleeping, I can hear your song

Sometimes, when I’m dreaming, I forget that you’re gone

Now when the wind cries, I remember you

Now as the world dies, I remember you

Sometimes, in the silence, I can hear you scream

Sometimes, in the darkness, we are not what we seem

Now when the rain falls, I remember you

Now as the end calls, I remember you

Broken, the hearts of them all, at the end

Broken, the beauty and grace, now long gone

Broken, the heart of the world, at the end

Broken, the whispers of shame, our children

Sometimes we’re scared of the dark, and who waits there

Sometimes we’re scared of the truth, and what hides there

Sometimes we are what we fear, in the end

Memories are all we have when the last breath comes

Moments in a life that has now come undone

Sometimes they warm you, like a long lost friend

Sometimes they calm you, like the oceans end

But sometimes they break your heart

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    In the video, Gary says they’ve rehearsed 41 songs for the upcoming tour(!)

Also mentions the new versions of Sacrifice, Exile and Pure will be released in the first few months of next year, with Intruder due out next September.

Then ends on saying there is one other major thing he’s been working on that he will announce in the next week that has taken up a lot of time. Curious about that one.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 09-15-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    He also goes on to say that the album is about climate change and the idea of the world itself speaking to us as it’s dying; that’s the perspective that the lyrics of the title track are coming from. And while Gary “loves fantasy and dragons and all that shit,” (lol, his words), that song can also be interpreted as the world ending, etc. Very interesting video update.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I'm guessing the other major thing is that film score he was tapped to write.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I'm guessing the other major thing is that film score he was tapped to write.
    That soundtrack he and Ade Fenton did for “From Inside” back in 2014 got pretty overlooked. So much so that I think I only listened to some brief samples from it to this day.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    What does everyone think about the new Ghost Nation Patreon that Gary has put together?

I haven't used Patreon before but I'm interested in it. Once I get a job/steady income, I'll subscribe and see what each tier has to offer.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    What does everyone think about the new Ghost Nation Patreon that Gary has put together?

I haven't used Patreon before but I'm interested in it. Once I get a job/steady income, I'll subscribe and see what each tier has to offer.
    I’ll definitely be joining!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Will be cool to see what tonight’s set in Ireland will be like.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    First night of the Revolution tour last night in Dublin! Great fun, super expansive setlist, so much so that I didn't recognize a few songs. I guess all the talk of lyric sheets and memory issues were not for nothing; there were a few misadventures last night. Funny stuff, Gary wasn't too hard on himself, he laughed it off.

The support act, Kanga, was awesome. Great to see underground industrial on a large stage.

Catch this tour if you can. Good times.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    First night of the Revolution tour last night in Dublin! Great fun, super expansive setlist, so much so that I didn't recognize a few songs. I guess all the talk of lyric sheets and memory issues were not for nothing; there were a few misadventures last night. Funny stuff, Gary wasn't too hard on himself, he laughed it off.

The support act, Kanga, was awesome. Great to see underground industrial on a large stage.

Catch this tour if you can. Good times.
    Do you know what the set list was? I can’t see anything on setlist.fm yet.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Do you know what the set list was? I can’t see anything on setlist.fm yet.
    I'm only really familiar with material from Pure onwards, so I'd only be guessing - plus there songs played I genuinely didn't know.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    ^ @Mutilated , you should familiarise yourself with more! If you dig Pure, definitely get into Sacrifice and Exile.

Oooh, Desire was played! and Dark! and Intruder! @botley , what do you think of the two sets so far?
    Last edited by Erneuert; 09-24-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Pretty good review from his live shows, also has some NIN spotting in it

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...bexhill-on-sea

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Two really excellent-looking set lists so far! I'm not planning to go looking at cellphone videos, or that sort of thing. Gonna make me too jealous considering some of the cool stuff he's unearthed for this tour. I hope he documents a couple of nights, and puts out multiple live CDs from it like he did for the 2015 London Forum 'classic album' shows.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I've only recently got into Numan's music. I'm quite interested in the new tour but don't know that much material except Savage, Splinter, and some of The Pleasure Principle. He has 18 studio albums! Any pointers as to where I should start, or at least some LPs relevant to this tour?
    Last edited by katara; 09-25-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I've only recently got into Numan's music. I'm quite interested in the new tour but don't know that much material except Savage, Splinter, and some of The Pleasure Principle. He has 18 studio albums! Any pointers as to where I should start, or at least some LPs relevant to this tour?
    i mean telekon is where i started but i don't know if that's where most people would recommend you do so.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yeah, definitely go back to Telekon and Replicas. That said, if you want a quick peek at the back catalogue to familiarize yourself with some of what's likely to be played on tour, then diving into all the studio albums is going to be too overwhelming and not particularly useful. One of the more recent live albums like Big Noise Transmission (which is on streaming services, I think) might be a better crash-course for you.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I screwed up my diary and I'm missing Gary in my home city tonight

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Gary's new Patreon service for the "Ghost Nation" fan subscription is now live.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yeah, definitely go back to Telekon and Replicas.
    Thanks for the advice!

Tried out both albums. With Telekon, Gary's in his "I am a robot" phase which does absolutely nothing for me, plus it is very '80s. Took a few tracks to get into the music, so I started to enjoy it about a third of the way in. Good album overall, but not my favourite personally.

Replicas is a fucking masterpiece. I'm going to buy a physical copy as soon as I'm able.