Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1481

Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    I've been away for a few months (no internet connection at my house until two days ago) but think I got caught up with the discussion. And I'll just try to bridge it off the current topics.

The track (Intruder) sounds great. The long intro reminds me of some of the tracks off Jagged. I think the heavy bass is definitely improved over some other new works. Though, Splinter had some very good heavy bass selections. I don't know what I was hoping for as far as the video but it's alright.

I pre-ordered the Amazon silver edition vinyl and have a signed black vinyl edition from the MakingMusic campaign. I also signed up for the $50 tier for his Patreon; I'm hoping it's a good subscription. I've seen some of the recent stuff on there so far and it seems nice to get a bit of extra behind the scenes and home movie style stuff. I also haven't checked on the MakingMusic updates in a long time, so I'll have to go back and see how the demos sound.

I read Gary's new autobiography recently. In the ending chapter, he describes (a possible spoiler) Spoiler: the idea and high possibility of a second part to Intruder, later this year. I'm not getting my hopes up but I think it would be interesting to see what a part two would be like, just in general. Especially since we haven't heard the full album yet. I know a few people on Twitter are hoping Intruder isn't a Savage copy.

As far as the NIN inspiration, I think it's fine. I mean, I love NIN and Gary. And since Gary was my first introduction to NIN, I kind of see it in a different light. I do get worried that Gary may get too comfortable with his sound, but it also depends on his age. He isn't all that young anymore and there's no telling the amount of projects he has left in him. I don't want to sound down about it but it's just a fact. I think if he and NIN share a similar sound and it works, then cool. But I do understand the other point of view about coping or ripping off.

One thing I will say that I'm not entirely on board with is his choice of clothing and maybe some of the themes slated to be on this record. I know Savage had the story about marauders and a climate/environmentally destroyed world. I'm just hoping there are some hidden themes or surprises for us since he did say this album would be mention the earth fighting back. As far as clothing, I think it's a bit too close to Savage. But then again, I guess I can't really be too mad about the clothing choice seeing how Pure, the Crazier video and some of the Jagged material featured the long black jacket, boots and t-shirt.

And finally, do you think the little melody from Slave, Love Hurt Bleed, and My Name Is Ruin, will pop back up? He seems to like that a lot. And I quite like it too.
    He’s been talking about a second part to Intruder on the Making Music updates quite a lot, primarily because of COVID and a lack of touring. I personally do think it will happen. I’m about 100 pages into (R)evolution at the moment.

I’m glad you mentioned that melody from Slave/LHB/MNIR. Everyone always seems to think it just came from the latter two songs, but it did indeed first appear in Slave. I’ve always thought the lyrics and menacing tone of Slave would be perfect for a “Saw” movie. Long stretch wish that it appears in “Spiral” later this year, haha.

I really want to hear more news about the revamped versions of Sacrifice, Exile and Pure. I also wonder if he’ll also re-record Metal Beat, Whisper Of Truth and Play Like God?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    He’s been talking about a second part to Intruder on the Making Music updates quite a lot, primarily because of COVID and a lack of touring. I personally do think it will happen. I’m about 100 pages into (R)evolution at the moment.

I’m glad you mentioned that melody from Slave/LHB/MNIR. Everyone always seems to think it just came from the latter two songs, but it did indeed first appear in Slave. I’ve always thought the lyrics and menacing tone of Slave would be perfect for a “Saw” movie. Long stretch wish that it appears in “Spiral” later this year, haha.

I really want to hear more news about the revamped versions of Sacrifice, Exile and Pure. I also wonder if he’ll also re-record Metal Beat, Whisper Of Truth and Play Like God?
    Ok, cool! Glad it isn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be; Intruder 2 talk.

I fell in love with that little melody when I first heard it on Jagged.

Oh yeah! The remake trilogy! I haven't heard anything aside from a few months ago when he said some of the production work was moving along on the three. It would be great to have those additional tracks too. I think of the 3, I'm most excited about Sacrifice. I think that was a really good album that could have used a little more kick than it got but that can't be helped since Gary did everything on that one.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Count me in for anything Gary puts out as far as new music, at this point... good, bad, repeated, whatever. He's earned my trust, and I so treasure what he does, it's like a breath of fresh air each time.

I'd like to read (R)evolution eventually as well, maybe will get the audio version when that comes out... I'm currently going through Paul Goodwin's book Tubeway Daze. Lots of interesting info about Gary's pre-fame era in that one.
    Last edited by botley; 01-31-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I just picked up the live Scarred album. Fuck me that version of Down In The Park is AMAZING.

Any other recommendations for live albums? Seeing as he has more than he has studio albums after all... :P I'm very well versed in the studio discography but making the plunge into live albums is daunting.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I just picked up the live Scarred album. Fuck me that version of Down In The Park is AMAZING.

Any other recommendations for live albums? Seeing as he has more than he has studio albums after all... :P I'm very well versed in the studio discography but making the plunge into live albums is daunting.
    Yes! I am a big fan of Dark Light from the Sacrifice tour. Also, the newest one When the Sky Came Down with the orchestra is amazing.
    Last edited by botley; 01-31-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post

I'm a big fan of three live albums not counting Scarred: Dream Corrosion, Hope Bleeds, and Telekon Live.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ I just bought Dream Corrosion on 3xLP over Discogs; previously had only ever heard a not-great MP3 copy — and then I saw the video version. Holy smokes!!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I always considered Dream Corrosion as part of my Sacrifice-era collection (along with Exile due to "Absolution") due to "Mission (Intro)", so I grabbed variants of that years ago. The hardest item to find that took forever to pop up on eBay was the double-cassette version of "Dark Light". Was happy to finally find that a while back.

note: Sacrifice is my favourite album so I collected all variants/song appearances from different eras including Mutate, etc, that featured songs like reworked Absolution and such.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    @REPLICA welcome back!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    I'm a big fan of three live albums not counting Scarred: Dream Corrosion, Hope Bleeds, and Telekon Live.
    Yeah, Hope Bleeds gets my vote, along with Scarred. I seem to remember one of those two having a really beefed-up version of Dead Heaven that's absolutely killer. To this day, Absolution is still the only Exile song that I've seen Gary perform live, I would kill to see him play something like Dark or Prophecy one time.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    "Dark" is a banger live! "So pray... to me..." Fuck yeah.

I have a recording of it from the Exile tour on that Live at Shepherds Bush Empire album on 2xLP. That record is also just about the only place you'll hear him sing "You Walk in My Soul" live.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    @REPLICA welcome back!
    Thanks! It’s been a long time!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Finished reading the autobiography the other day. It was an interesting read but there are some aspects to it that I found a little odd, where I wonder whether he's stretched the truth or not told the whole story. If you're planning on reading it and don't want the book spoiled, look away now:-

They had Closer as their wedding dance. He makes some comments along the lines of 'we'd forgotten about the 'fuck you like an animal' bit, so Grandma was very upset'. Really??

David Bowie had him kicked out of a filming of the Kenny Everett Xmas show. It's implied this is purely down to professional jealousy, but I wondered whether there was more to it than that, and he's playing down his part in that.

The Albert Hall orchestral show sold out in hours - funny that - I was looking at tickets a week before the show and had plenty of choice. A bit annoyed I didn't go now, as he calls it the pinnacle of his career...!

I can't work out his relationship with drink/drugs - I'd always thought he wasn't really a fan of either, but he goes on about renouncing his hedonistic lifestyle for fatherhood, describing many party nights without really going into detail about his own part in them, and the fact that him and Gemma were very much the worse for wear the night Persia was conceived 'without saying too much'. Hardly warts and all...but he does tell a very funny story about a sperm sample when IVF was in their lives!

Gemma is, rightly the hero of this book. Utterly saved him, and stuck by him for many years when things weren't going well, and by his own admission he wasn't great to live with due to mood swings.

Despite some minor quibbles though, thoroughly recommend the book.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    David Bowie had him kicked out of a filming of the Kenny Everett Xmas show. It's implied this is purely down to professional jealousy, but I wondered whether there was more to it than that, and he's playing down his part in that.
    I heard that some of the lyrics to Bowie's Teenage Wildlife is related to Gary Numan. And there was definitely some bad blood between the two. Over time, Bowie did acknowledge Gary for making some classic tunes.

I may go back and read sections of Praying to the Aliens and see if he elaborates on the Bowie and wedding fiasco. Since the book was printed in '97, there might be some extra info.
    Last edited by REPLICA; 02-04-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Jeez... I'm sure it's just the harsh lighting, but he looks old af in this photo. Numan's turning 63 in just three weeks!

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    On a nicer note, I came across this photo of TR backstage at one of Gary's gigs in May 1998 at the Luna club in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Numan's turning 63 in just three weeks!
    Still can't wrap my head around the fact that Gary Numan is a few weeks older than Gary Oldman.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Gary did a livestream with IAMX about mental health

https://www.crowdcast.io/e/headnoise004

Watching now

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I watched the 13th Floor MusicTalk interview. Not too bad, though since the interviewer wasn't able to get a promo of the (Intruder) full album, some of the conversation stayed somewhat vague. Gary did say another single should come out near the end of March. A status on the tour was given, a lot of waiting to see how the virus is in the summer.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Longer interview with Dean Delray on his podcast:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Gary is releasing that new track he was talking about recently. "I Am Screaming"

I'm really excited to hear this! Just wondering if it'll be slower or faster tempo.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Sounds pretty fresh!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Listened to it last night. Love it!

I don’t understand the “not my cup of tea, would rather listen to Love Needs No Disguise, Warriors,” etc. His voice literally sounds the same but with better music accompanying it!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm getting vibes of Dance and Dead Son Rising. It's hard to say which songs are most closely related but the sounds are there. Regardless, I happen to like the new track a lot!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Martyn Ware from Heaven 17 interviewed Gary on his podcast, too.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Martyn Ware from Heaven 17 interviewed Gary on his podcast, too.
    It's a decent interview. I felt he explained in more detail the plane incident over the Pacific; the feelings he was having that is.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Another great podcast interview with Gary Kemp and Guy Pratt on their show The Rockonteurs (which I was already a big fan of, so this is a thrill for me)!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This albums sounding like it could top Savage and even Splinter IMO. All three tracks sound great

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    This albums sounding like it could top Savage and even Splinter IMO. All three tracks sound great
    The vocal production Ade Fenton does is just nuts, which gives me high hopes for the Sacrifice/Exile/Pure revised versions.