Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33

Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Grabbed this pic from the latest Making Music video - for anyone wondering what's going on, he's doing an unboxing of his new kit for the studio...

Last edited by simonn; 04-19-2019 at 02:24 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I posted a couple of screen grabs here:

https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...112#post454112

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    And the thing is this:
    https://slatemt.com/raven-mtz/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Latest update is very exciting:

Ade has been here since last Thursday. The idea was to record vocals for the new versions of the Sacrifice, Exile and Pure albums that Ade is working on separate to the new Intruder album. However, due to the studio problems, he has so far spent every day in the studio with me working through the various issues to get me up and running again. I can't tell you what a difference it's made having him here. He's pretty much got the whole range of problems sorted out, and so the news is good. The studio upgrade is not finished but it's almost good enough for me to start work again. Waiting for a new computer to arrive today and, with that, I'll be able to start work again in the next day or two. This video is a montage of film clips that show us working on getting the room working, including a dog invasion at one point.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Waaaaaaaait wait wait. New versions/new vocals for Sacrifice, Exile, and Pure? Those are my 3 favorite albums from the Numan modern era. Here's hoping that they aren't vinyl exclusive.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I just dropped 90 bucks on a factory sealed copy of the totally out of print 1999 reissue of Sacrifice (with the 4 bonus tracks).....Probably my fav Numan album....Not so sure I dig the idea of re-recording it....That would be like Trent re-recording PHM.....Gary wanting to re-record Sacrifice, Exile and Pure is interesting as a novelty concept but it seems kind of odd fucking with albums that are already perfect....What he should really do is re-record some of those 80s albums without the fucking backup singers and put a harder edge on the songs because theres a lot of great shit on those records that got bogged down from glossy production, backup singers and Garys own misdirection....I would like to hear an industrialized version of Strange Charm 2.0 and Beserker 2.0....New Anger 2019 bring it
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell; 04-30-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    I like the songs on Sacrifice, Exile, and Pure but there are certain days where I just cannot listen to them. Some of those tracks are very dated-sounding (almost as much as the mid-80s period), and certainly sound quite repetitive and thin compared to what Gary and Ade have achieved working together since then. Sacrifice was basically done in a home demo studio, largely for fun, using drum loops stolen from contemporary Depeche Mode albums. That's certainly a vibe, but again there are some days where it's like nails on a blackboard for me. So... if all goes well, this project could turn out to be a dream come true! Same great songs, only with vastly improved production values. Hooray!

Y'know, Numan fans love to bitch about the excessive use of slap bass, saxophone, and other singers' voices on his 80s-era records. Yes, those are dated-sounding arrangements, but to me, they still meet the professional audio standard of properly-made studio recordings... so I don't have as much of a problem with those. The 90s-vintage stuff is remarkable in its own way, but the cheap-sounding loops and poorly recorded instruments and vocals are what bring them down, in my estimation. I have hope that Ade's work can fix that.
    Last edited by botley; 04-30-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    When he signed my Sacrifice vinyl a few years back, he mentioned that he wanted to re-release it with better production as he intended it to sound originally, less muddy. It seems like he’s taken that idea and expanded upon it.

@botley - and a lot of the sounds are also used on The Radial Pair soundtrack.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 04-30-2019 at 09:16 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm with some of you guys on Sacrifice having pretty sub-par production for Numan standards, although I love it all the same. Be very cool to finally see this album fleshed out more.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Are those words from an actual song on the cheat sheets up to buy? -

https://garynumanmm.tmstor.es/cart/p...=41839&cur=GBP

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Are those words from an actual song on the cheat sheets up to buy? -

https://garynumanmm.tmstor.es/cart/p...=41839&cur=GBP
    Um, no. It's one of those typeface sample text-things, purely to show off "y" and "q" and other weird seldom-used letters look on the page.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I thought I was going crazy for a second there.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    In the latest update GN says he will be re-recording the vocals for Sacrifice and Pure this week sometime, and plays the rough version of a track currently titled “Aeon” (or “Aon?) as that was the name of the recording software used to first lay down the track:

https://garynumanmm.tmstor.es/?page=blog&blog_id=71#b71