Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1481

Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    @botley , this is a very impressive looking live bootleg from '98: https://www.ebay.com/itm/11512451108...EAAOSwgLRhqd3C

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Cool video explaining how "Cars" changed popular music:

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    @botley, did you watch the… I think it was not the last Ghost Nation update, but the one before it with the Q&A. I was really surprised when someone asked Gary if he would reissue albums like Strange Charm or Warriors (which are now quite hard to find), and he said he’d love to but he doesn’t know where the original masters are. He’s always had the attitude of “ok that’s done, what next?” and has never been careful at storing away original master tapes. I always picked him as the type of person to be very OCD about that sort of thing. Big shame, really.

Moreover, he seems very despondent lately. Nothing recorded and still behind in the Sacrifice/Exile/Pure redux versions. He seems to go through these lulls of depression quite a bit lately.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    That's not too surprising to hear, actually. Warriors was just reissued on vinyl but I don't know if Beggars bothered to do a fresh transfer from the tapes or just re-cut it using whatever digital elements they already had from the last round of CD reissues (which were twenty years ago now, crikey). I would love to have a look at all the old Numa era tapes, whatever still exists anyway, properly archive them to hi-res digital, and convince Gary to let Nathan & Ade have a go at some remixes/alternate versions. Doubtless there's some interesting stuff lurking there, if properly presented.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    That's not too surprising to hear, actually. Warriors was just reissued on vinyl but I don't know if Beggars bothered to do a fresh transfer from the tapes or just re-cut it using whatever digital elements they already had from the last round of CD reissues (which were twenty years ago now, crikey). I would love to have a look at all the old Numa era tapes, whatever still exists anyway, properly archive them to hi-res digital, and convince Gary to let Nathan & Ade have a go at some remixes/alternate versions. Doubtless there's some interesting stuff lurking there, if properly presented.
    Yeah, the membership price coming out of my cash each month is starting to feel a bit naff.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I’ll be at the Carrboro, NC (Cat’s Cradle) show if anyone else is going. Is a nice little venue. I saw Car Seat Headrest there once and enjoyed it.

I’m really hoping the next album changes up the themes and topics Gary writes about.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Interesting new set lists with Pressure thrown in there. Wish he’d finally do And It All Began With You live.

I dunno, for some reason Savage + The Fallen EP seem to have better songs on them overall than Intruder. Especially when you add Cold, If I Said and It Will End Here into the mix. There isn’t one song on that record I’d really skip.

Speaking of which, I’m glad to see Pray For The Pain You Serve (originally titled I Belong Here) is still in current set lists. That song and it’s lyrics are just brilliant:

I belong here where the world ends
    I belong here where all hope ends
    I belong here with The Waiting
    With the haunted, with the never seen
    I belong here with The Faithless
    We are no-one, we are nothing at all

I will be here when the storm ends
    I will sleep here when my time ends
    I will cry here when the dead sing
    Will you save me? Will you save me?
    On my knees I'll pray to something
    I don't know you, I don't know you at all

Can you see me when the wind blows through my soul?
    Can you hear me when the scream is all I know?
    Can you see me? This is all that I deserve
    Can you hear me? I pray for the pain I serve

I belong here where the shame ends
    I belong here where all life ends
    I belong here with the fallen
    Here is nowhere, here is everything
    I belong here with the broken
    We are lost and we have nothing to lose

Can you see me when the wind blows through my soul?
    Can you hear me when the scream is all I know?
    Can you see me? This is all that I deserve
    Can you hear me? I pray for the pain I serve

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ I'm sure they will eventually mix up the set a bit, now that Steve Harris is back in the lineup. He had to miss the first show due to having COVID, and the second due to lost gear on the flight over!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I saw some pictures from the merch booths for this American leg. Some shirts with the three red line design, some with Gary on front. A poster for $40 - hopefully better resolution than the Savage American poster. There’s a water bottle and the cd/vinyl options. Not sure if there are any other items.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Went and saw Gary here in Austin last night. Overall wonderful show that I enjoyed immensely. It was my first time seeing him, and he's an excellent performer. High energy, and good emphasis on newer tracks with some older fan favorites mixed in. "My Name is Ruin," and "Love Hurt Bleed" in particular were highlights, and of course "Cars" gets the crowd bouncing.

The assessment of the merch situation is accurate--pretty basic selection of items with similar designs. There's an option for an autographed version of vinyl/CD for $10 more. Was tempted on the Intruder vinyl, but since it was the standard black version, I passed.

Incredibly happy I went--I've missed live music so much and this was a great start to more concerts!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Went and saw Gary here in Austin last night. Overall wonderful show that I enjoyed immensely. It was my first time seeing him, and he's an excellent performer. High energy, and good emphasis on newer tracks with some older fan favorites mixed in. "My Name is Ruin," and "Love Hurt Bleed" in particular were highlights, and of course "Cars" gets the crowd bouncing.

The assessment of the merch situation is accurate--pretty basic selection of items with similar designs. There's an option for an autographed version of vinyl/CD for $10 more. Was tempted on the Intruder vinyl, but since it was the standard black version, I passed.

Incredibly happy I went--I've missed live music so much and this was a great start to more concerts!
    Awesome, I'm seeing Numan for the first time later this month.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    OMG, My Name Is Ruin starts playing around the 19 minute mark of the new South Park episode, S25E05… hahahah so unexpected!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I know it's a little late, but Carrboro was pretty good though there were some things that would have been better. I know Gary is promoting the Intruder album pretty heavy but I wish there could have been a little variation with the setlist. Though Love Hurt Bleed always kicks ass and The Chosen was great!

I Speak Machine (Tara) was awesome. She had the crowd digging her energy.

The merch booth sold out of shirts and hoodies from the Atlanta show (3/8) so our show didn't have apparel. I did buy a Numan patch, signed vinyl, signed cd and poster. The poster is way better quality than the Savage poster from 2017. They had the Intruder water bottle for the low, low price of $50. That was a no-go for me. They also had the "Here in my car" bumper sticker either signed or unsigned.

At dinner prior to the show, I sat at a table across from some of the band members. Didn't get to talk to them because they just got their food so I didn't want to interrupt them. But it was cool to see them in regular light and without all that smoke.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Gary Numan

I caught the show in Jersey City on Friday night and had a blast. I hadn't seen him since the Pure Tour in 2001 and was on the fence (no pun intended) given that the local Ministry date was the next night, but I'm very glad I didn't sit out another tour. His and the band's energy was great, and we got a relatively Savage-heavy setlist that I thought flowed really well. The inevitable classics sounded excellent, too. I generally prefer listening to the countless live versions of these from the 90s onward given how rich the arrangements are, and seeing them live again just underscored this preference - give me a nice, crunchy Cars anytime!

I Speak Machine was a treat as well. I previewed a few of the tracks on her Bandcamp before the show, but was pleased to be able to grab the new album at the merch stand a month before the release date as well as a tour-exclusive compilation. Haven't had time yet to digest these yet, but always nice when an old favorite helps illuminate a potential new one...much more satisfying than algorithmic discovery for me, anyway.
    Last edited by roolfdriht; 03-13-2022 at 11:44 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Would someone be willing to try to get the screaming GN t-shirt for me who is planning to attend one of the shows over the next two weeks? It was at the Nashville show I attended but only in small, then gone at the other shows. It looks like this if I recall correctly:

gnScream.jpg

It's definitely not him standing still. :-)

If you see it in XL or XXL, I'd be happy to cover the cost plus shipping. I'd like the beanie too but if the shirt isn't there, no need to bother with the beanie by itself.

I will love you lots!!! Also owe you for any future merch of any one else, even NIN!

Edit: Cool people abound!!
    Last edited by m0reta; 03-22-2022 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Did I mention the cool people like @thenorthwood?? They rock!!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Damnit show got cancelled due to "Illness". (Probably didn't sell enough tickets)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Damnit show got cancelled due to "Illness". (Probably didn't sell enough tickets)
    Gary posted two days ago about having some throat stuff going on. More often than not things aren’t some kind of big conspiracy.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Chicago tonight. Here’s a few seconds of The Chosen that Gemma filmed. Woke up today with some nasty throat stuff going on so glad to get through the gig relatively trouble free (apart from some lyric disasters). Not Covid thankfully. Milwaukee next. Tix: https://garynuman.com/tours

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Spoiler alert: it's COVID (Gary has it too, as it turns out).

Disappointing but hopefully the gigs can get rescheduled and hey, maybe they can even make up for the Toronto gig that had to be cancelled due to local capacity restrictions (which are now, I hope, finally behind us).
    Last edited by botley; 03-24-2022 at 07:25 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Gah! This was going to be my first concert since 2020 this weekend.

Health first though, and it's not like the dates for this haven't changed multiple times anyway....

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Gary posted two days ago about having some throat stuff going on. More often than not things aren’t some kind of big conspiracy.
    I have seen many a poor selling show (I guess in the pre COVID days) get cancelled due to "illness" (I'm from Sioux falls it happens all the time, we are a D market).

Bummer it's COVID I hope everyone is alright. Looking forward to the rescheduled show.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Looking forward to the rescheduled show.
    Your show is rescheduled!

Toronto is not.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Acoustic version of “Ghost Nation” from 2020 posted on the Ghost Nation Patreon. I haven’t watched it yet.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    @botley , he did a bunch of songs live with all 3 daughters:

Is This World Not Enough
    Everyday I Die
    A Black Sun
    My Name Is Ruin
    Are ‘Friends’ Electric?

The Gift done with Gazelle Twin
    Me! I Disconnect From You with Tim Muddiman
    M.E. with Chris Payne and Rrussell Bell

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Yeah looks like it was amazing, and they filmed it of course! Is it too much to hope for a Blu-ray 2-pack with an upscaled Micromusic reissue??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ Yeah looks like it was amazing, and they filmed it of course! Is it too much to hope for a Blu-ray 2-pack with an upscaled Micromusic reissue??
    I appreciate Gary's follow-through when it comes to live releases (unlike another band who need not be named, LOL). The scale contrast between Wembley and the U.S. venues is pretty stark, so I'm certainly looking forward to a nice blu-ray/CD of the former in the not-too-distant future.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I was putting my two Gary Numan posters into a portfolio yesterday and I noticed the quality difference. The Savage poster that I bought from the Atlanta 2017 date was lacking proper resolution and on thin glossy paper. The image, when viewed close up, is grainy. It looks like who ever did the artwork just upscaled the image. Meanwhile the recent U.S. Intruder poster is on a thicker card stock and looks nice. I’ll see about getting some pictures to compare.

I guess what I’m getting at, do you think Gary and team might be inspired to have artist commissioned screen printed posters? Similar to how NIN issues posters. Or even one commissioned poster featuring all the tour dates for an upcoming tour? Or do you think they’ll stay with artwork created in-house and using traditional heavyweight paper/card stock?
    Last edited by REPLICA; 06-08-2022 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/22/gary-...w-it-17049135/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro