Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1480

Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Damn that's a good deal and I really like the asthetic of the packaging.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I want to get excited for these revamped albums, but I doubt they'll be out before 2022, at the earliest.

The singles box looks cool but I think I'll wait for some reviews of the sound quality first, before I hit the button.
    Last edited by botley; 07-23-2021 at 07:39 AM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Those 3 albums were my introduction to Gary's music. I still feel like that era is "my" Gary Numan. I love what came before (mostly) and everything that has followed. But man, I have such a soft spot for Sacrifice, Exile and Pure. I just can't get enough of the gothic, haunting atmosphere, the low-res muddy sounds and the muted drum loops. As a 15-year-old with no knowledge of Gary's past career, I honestly found Gary's music to be quite intimidating and sinister. The fact I was in a Catholic school probably added to that, what with Gary's lyrics being almost exclusively anti-Christian during those years. Exile in particular felt really dangerous and frightening to me back then. It's funny to think I had that image of him for quite a long time, given how much of a humble and all-round nice guy Gary seems to be in interviews/behind the scenes, etc.

It's exciting to see that era being revisited. But at the same time, I'm slightly on the fence about these reissues. I can't think of any other artist that has completely re-recorded one of their older albums. By all accounts it sounds like they've remained faithful to the original recordings, but I hope the new production doesn't take away how understated Sacrifice and Exile sounded. One of the strongest things about those albums is how sparse the tracks are compared to the huge production of Splinter, Savage, etc. At least in my opinion anyway.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The singles box looks cool but I think I'll wait for some reviews of the sound quality first, before I hit the button.
    Who the fuck am I kidding? It only took one post from Gary saying "oh we sold out our allocation for my store, but Beggars let us have some from theirs" for me to buy it like a FOMO-having sucker.

PS. This is pretty cool. Ronson vs. Numan vs. McCartney:

Last edited by botley; 07-30-2021 at 08:54 AM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Do you think GN will have re-recorded the Sacrifice-era version of Absolution, Metal Beat, Play Like God and (most importantly) Whisper Of Truth for the Sacrifice redux? There are no leftover tracks to do that for with Exile and Pure. I really hope he did, though.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    With "nearly 5,000 added words and a dozen new anecdotes the paperback version of the (R)evolution autobiography is finally here."

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Hilariously enough, Beggars is doing yet another colour vinyl reissue, this time for Warriors on orange vinyl. Just re-listened to it again on Tidal, and it was much better than I remembered it being. The mix is still kinda mushy and indistinct, and there are some questionable production choices, but damn could Bill Nelson fucking shred.

The lyrics to "My Centurion" are especially terrifying when you realize it's basically what Numan was going through with his plane's fuel line freezing when flying over the Pacific, in complete darkness and 1500 miles from land in any direction. Why they undercut it with that jokey studio banter at the top, I have no idea.
    Last edited by botley; 08-21-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    iirc Numan erased all mixes Nelson had done and replaced them with his own.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Welp it was to be expected. I got an email today that the entire North American Intruder tour has been postponed to 2022. No word yet on new dates.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Yep. It was a matter of time.

On the bright side this means I can stay in and play Metroid Dread the day it releases instead of trekking to Toronto.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Yep. It was a matter of time.

On the bright side this means I can stay in and play Metroid Dread the day it releases instead of trekking to Toronto.
    Hah! Enjoy. We'll see you here on the rescheduled date, hopefully. Genesis in November, you're my only hope for a #TwoDoseFall live concert return...

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Hey @botley , on the Decoder DVD (the show I was at), you know how In A Dark Place has that completely different intro and Blind is arranged different with the lyrics changed to something like “I’m cold… don’t leave me… I’m cold… don’t leave me blind.” Were those reworking exclusive to that performance or are they versions from Jagged Edge? I’m having trouble remembering.

I do remember being disappointed by that version of Blind as the original is so powerful.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Hey @botley , on the Decoder DVD (the show I was at), you know how In A Dark Place has that completely different intro and Blind is arranged different with the lyrics changed to something like “I’m cold… don’t leave me… I’m cold… don’t leave me blind.” Were those reworking exclusive to that performance or are they versions from Jagged Edge? I’m having trouble remembering.

I do remember being disappointed by that version of Blind as the original is so powerful.
    Yeah, those are based on the Jagged Edge reworking of those songs. He still does that version of "Blind" — glad I got to see the album version performed in 2006.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Yeah, those are based on the Jagged Edge reworking of those songs. He still does that version of "Blind" — glad I got to see the album version performed in 2006.
    Really? I wonder why. That’s like APC always doing the All Main Courses mix of 3 Libras instead of the album version. So frustrating!

Thinking out loud: it was fun times back when the Jagged micro-site launched in 2006 and you could preview all the tracks. Something about that album from beginning to end just feels so… cold and horror filmish. Even a song like Scanner that has tenderness to it is completely cold and rigid in its delivery. You can’t really experience another album like it, right? The whole thing feels like you’re in a dark cave with no way out, sinister. Really under appreciated, I think.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Thinking out loud: it was fun times back when the Jagged micro-site launched in 2006 and you could preview all the tracks. Something about that album from beginning to end just feels so… cold and horror filmish. Even a song like Scanner that has tenderness to it is completely cold and rigid in its delivery. You can’t really experience another album like it, right? The whole thing feels like you’re in a dark cave with no way out, sinister. Really under appreciated, I think.
    Yeah, well said. I do think it could benefit from a remix, however; hopefully Nathan & Ade get to remix the whole thing from the original session files like they've said they are going to do after finishing the re-recorded Sacrifice/Exile/Pure albums.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Yeah, well said. I do think it could benefit from a remix, however; hopefully Nathan & Ade get to remix the whole thing from the original session files like they've said they are going to do after finishing the re-recorded Sacrifice/Exile/Pure albums.
    Has anything of interest been posted on Ghost Nation lately? I unsubscribed a while ago.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Has anything of interest been posted on Ghost Nation lately? I unsubscribed a while ago.
    IDK, never subscribed. He is still posting video updates but any music-related news seems to trickle out eventually. Given the postponement of the NA tour I would be surprised if we see anything more about these before 2023.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    @botley, I just had one of those “I forgot this even existed, let alone knew it was awesome and just forgot about it” moments.

The first version of Slave from Jagged Edge, particularly from 3:35 when that guitar kicks in to pretty much the end of the song.

Always loved the song itself. I always picture the first Saw movie when I listen to it. Listen to the lyrics and imagine being Dr. Gordon alone in that room having to cut his own foot off (“where desire will bleed” / “cold metal choice” / “no one can help you, no one but me” / “cry for someone, something, I’ll laugh at you”) - so sinister. Should’ve been on a Saw movie soundtrack, haha.

Anyway, this version. 3:35 onwards:

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    @botley , do you use twitter? If so, would you be able to send a message to Ade and ask him if they plan on including Whisper Of Truth, Play Like God, Metal Beat and the 1995 version of Absolution to the Sacrifice redux release? I’d ask him myself but I’m no longer on twitter.

I noticed he tweeted a few days ago about Steve Harris recording guitar parts for the Exile redux.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    @botley , do you use twitter? If so, would you be able to send a message to Ade and ask him if they plan on including Whisper Of Truth, Play Like God, Metal Beat and the 1995 version of Absolution to the Sacrifice redux release? I’d ask him myself but I’m no longer on twitter.

I noticed he tweeted a few days ago about Steve Harris recording guitar parts for the Exile redux.
    Oh, I didn't see that one. I just wrote and asked, but he very rarely replies to any tweets.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Oh, I didn't see that one. I just wrote and asked, but he very rarely replies to any tweets.
    I really hope they don’t overlook those tracks. Not so much Absolution (since it’s on Exile and the Sacrifice era version is basically just lacking the extra production from Exile), but those other three definitely deserve a polishing up. Exile and Pure didn’t have any outtakes so I’m hoping they don’t accidentally forget them. Especially Whisper Of Truth!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    @botley , just rejoined Ghost Nation on a lower tier level (Dark). Made a comment reply asking about those Sacrifice tracks.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tis the season!

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Exclamation

I needn't have worried, the singles box sounds amazing. It arrived Monday and I've been having fun cleaning and listening to each side since. Unfortunately, the book arrived a little dinged up and some of the colours in it look like they were misprinted, particularly "Warriors" — with a weird shade of bright red, instead of orange-y, sky. I'm going to write to the TM Store and see if they can send a replacement. Luckily, the vinyl is all really great, it's pressed at MPO in case anyone was curious. 15 discs of magic!
    Last edited by botley; 11-10-2021 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Deleted, cancelled, details removed. Curious!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Deleted, cancelled, details removed. Curious!
    It wasn't cancelled, just sold out very quickly (only 600 were available). Here's the Discogs listing:

https://www.discogs.com/release/1960...ry-Numan-Exile

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I wish Numan vinyl was easier to come by, outside of the very early stuff. I never even bothered to get started as everything I've want js way out of my budget.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Anyone watch the most recent 50+ minute patreon video? Sounds like some heavy personal stuff is going on with GN at the moment, he hasn’t written any new music or gotten around to doing additional vocals for Exile redux that Ade needs.