Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1481

Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I have no issues with him (aside from that patreon nonsense when he was funding lavish vacations from the money he made off it). I just find it odd he seems so obsessed about chart positions. In the last few years he always mentions how many of his albums sold and how high they charted etc. Most artists 25 plus years in the game who already have an established fanbase don't really give a shit about chart positions anymore
    Don’t you say he just rips NIN off, etc? Or do you actually like his industrial period from 94 - now?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It doesn't matter what he likes, he still complains about literally everything.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Don’t you say he just rips NIN off, etc? Or do you actually like his industrial period from 94 - now?

I thought the stuff he did in the mid 90s to early 2000s was very good. Sacrifice/Exile and especially Pure.....Post Pure I think he has been spinning his wheels and every album seems to be highly NIN influenced and an Ade Fenton album w Gary on vocals......But I think that trilogy from 94-2000 was his best work

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    For what it's worth, I skipped back through the livestream and he does say that it was BMG who made the call to delay the album. Hopefully he'll post something official about it soon.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    New MM update.

”When You Fall” + “And It Breaks Me Again” played, the last two songs written for the album. What do you guys think of those tracks?

And I wonder what the momentous thing re: his musical career is that is dominating his thoughts?
    Last edited by Erneuert; 11-26-2020 at 07:27 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't really know, it sounded a bit ominous. My first thought was maybe he and Ade are going to part ways, but I don't really see that happening after he's just been singing Ade's praises for mastering the album.

The new songs sounded interesting, but if I'm honest I didn't have a very strong reaction to either of them. Maybe it's down to only hearing a recording of them through Gary's phone, maybe it's just that they sounded pretty similar to a lot of the other songs he's previewed for Intruder. I'm sure when I listen to them in the context of the whole album they'll make a bit more sense.

Speaking of the album, for those who aren't following the MM updates, Gary confirmed that it's been pushed back to April/May 2021.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Can you make out all the track names/order from the image of the album mock up?

Look like it starts with Betrayed and ends with The End of Dragons (Alt).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not really. The glare from the camera plus the quality of the recording makes it hard to read. This is the best I could make out.

The Betrayed
    The Cure
    I Am ???
    Intruder
    In The World Now ???
    A Black Ruin(?)
    The Crown
    And It ??? Me Again
    Saints and Liars
    Now and Forever
    The End of Dragons
    When You Fall
    The End of Dragons (alt)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    Not really. The glare from the camera plus the quality of the recording makes it hard to read. This is the best I could make out.

The Betrayed
    The Cure
    I Am ???
    Intruder
    In The World Now ???
    A Black Ruin(?)
    The Crown
    And It ??? Me Again
    Saints and Liars
    Now and Forever
    The End of Dragons
    When You Fall
    The End of Dragons (alt)
    A Black Sun
    And It Breaks Me Again

Just need the third one.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    New MM update featuring all the album song lyrics. Lots of mentions of the ocean/burning ocean motif, laughing at God and thinking about death and his kids as on previous albums.

So it looks like the running order is:

Betrayed
    The Gift
    I Am Screaming
    Intruder
    Is This World Not Enough
    A Black Sun
    The Chosen
    And It Breaks Me Again
    Saints And Liars
    Now And Forever
    The End Of Dragons
    When You Fall
    The End Of Dragons (Alt)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    And the first single (title track) is coming Jan. 11th!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    My wife got me (R)evolution for Christmas and it's an excellent read, and I'm listening to his discography as I go (I know the early and the later stuff, but like many I haven't really visited the 80s-90s era).
    So yeah, the book is great, highly recommended!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    working on another covers EP and one of the songs i'm doing is Replicas. i did all the music today (my friend mac is doing vocals) and i'm VERY happy with how it turned out.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Intruder - The Brand New Studio Album
    Released May 2021
    'Intruder’ is Numan’s 18th solo studio album and follows 2017’s ‘Savage: Songs From A Broken World’ which became his highest charting set in almost forty years when it debuted at #2 on the Official UK Album Chart.

Here on the Official Gary Numan store we have several exclusive Intruder album formats including a Gold Heavyweight Double Vinyl, special Deluxe CD and Cassette.

Tracklisting:
    1Betrayed
    The Gift
    I Am Screaming
    Intruder
    Is This World Not Enough
    A Black Sun
    The Chosen
    And It Breaks Me Again
    Saints And Liars
    Now And Forever
    The End of Dragons
    When You Fall
    The End of Dragons (Alt)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    WOW, The new Video and single are incredible. The end reminded me of the Closer video where Trent is suspended in the same pose.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    This is hot sex.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Yep! Really glad there is going to be an Intruder 2.

Quick, everyone post your photos with Gary! I need to find mine. Will post later.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I too am getting Closer video vibes from that mid-air rotating floatiness

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This new track is fantastic. Took me quite awhile get into Gary Numan, but over this last year I have listened to him A LOT. Exile is my favorite but his newer albums have been great. Can't wait to hear this entire album

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    At this point Gary should be paying Trent royalties. He's been copping the NIN sound for 20 plus years and now this video is copping 'Closer'......

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    At this point Gary should be paying Trent royalties. He's been copping the NIN sound for 20 plus years and now this video is copping 'Closer'......
    And sampled Closer (Precursor) in the Voix 1998 redux, and used the backwards N for Numan on promotional materials not long ago.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I think ending the album on “When You Fall” is a bit crap from the demo he played to us on Making Music (that was the song he was saying he wasn’t sure if he liked or not). Unless Ade did some really magical production on it to make it a great closer (not counting the alt version of Dragons).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm assuming it's a 'bonus track' but could be wrong, the End of Dragons sounded like the ideal closer.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    I'm assuming it's a 'bonus track' but could be wrong, the End of Dragons sounded like the ideal closer.
    I think it’s just a bonus track on the vinyl version. It isn’t listed on the CD or cassette page track listings.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    This is quite a cynical take.
    The floating at the end is not that Closer-y, I wouldn't have thought of it if I haven't read the comparison here. This video feels nothing like Closer, at all!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    The two of them have been influenced by each other for years, that's well known, and this is just the latest in long line of nods to each other.

Was listening to Telekon today (which is pretty much a blueprint for NIN alongside Ministry's Twitch and early Skinny Puppy), and these lyrics never fail to make me smile:

Turn out these eyes
    Wipe off my face
    Erase me

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    The two of them have been influenced by each other for years, that's well known, and this is just the latest in long line of nods to each other.

Was listening to Telekon today (which is pretty much a blueprint for NIN alongside Ministry's Twitch and early Skinny Puppy), and these lyrics never fail to make me smile:

Turn out these eyes
    Wipe off my face
    Erase me
    True!

Haunted (2006) by Numan

And this is not my voice
    Not my face
    Not my life
    It belongs to you

Head Down (2008) - NIN

And this is not my face
    And this is not my life
    And there is not a single thing here
    I can recognize

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    It looks like the deluxe CD ends with When You Fall (12 tracks).

Standard CD ends with The End of Dragons (11 tracks).

Vinyl and all other formats has 13 tracks and ends with When You Fall and The End of Dragons (Alt) - 13 tracks.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I've been away for a few months (no internet connection at my house until two days ago) but think I got caught up with the discussion. And I'll just try to bridge it off the current topics.

The track (Intruder) sounds great. The long intro reminds me of some of the tracks off Jagged. I think the heavy bass is definitely improved over some other new works. Though, Splinter had some very good heavy bass selections. I don't know what I was hoping for as far as the video but it's alright.

I pre-ordered the Amazon silver edition vinyl and have a signed black vinyl edition from the MakingMusic campaign. I also signed up for the $50 tier for his Patreon; I'm hoping it's a good subscription. I've seen some of the recent stuff on there so far and it seems nice to get a bit of extra behind the scenes and home movie style stuff. I also haven't checked on the MakingMusic updates in a long time, so I'll have to go back and see how the demos sound.

I read Gary's new autobiography recently. In the ending chapter, he describes (a possible spoiler) Spoiler: the idea and high possibility of a second part to Intruder, later this year. I'm not getting my hopes up but I think it would be interesting to see what a part two would be like, just in general. Especially since we haven't heard the full album yet. I know a few people on Twitter are hoping Intruder isn't a Savage copy.

As far as the NIN inspiration, I think it's fine. I mean, I love NIN and Gary. And since Gary was my first introduction to NIN, I kind of see it in a different light. I do get worried that Gary may get too comfortable with his sound, but it also depends on his age. He isn't all that young anymore and there's no telling the amount of projects he has left in him. I don't want to sound down about it but it's just a fact. I think if he and NIN share a similar sound and it works, then cool. But I do understand the other point of view about coping or ripping off.

One thing I will say that I'm not entirely on board with is his choice of clothing and maybe some of the themes slated to be on this record. I know Savage had the story about marauders and a climate/environmentally destroyed world. I'm just hoping there are some hidden themes or surprises for us since he did say this album would be mention the earth fighting back. As far as clothing, I think it's a bit too close to Savage. But then again, I guess I can't really be too mad about the clothing choice seeing how Pure, the Crazier video and some of the Jagged material featured the long black jacket, boots and t-shirt.

And finally, do you think the little melody from Slave, Love Hurt Bleed, and My Name Is Ruin, will pop back up? He seems to like that a lot. And I quite like it too.