Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1480

Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    the online streaming version of it included “The Fall” in its early form. For whatever reason they didn’t include it on the Decoder DVD. I cropped the video for that performance from the online stream though and included it as my own “bonus disc” in the DVD case. It was between Rip and Pure from the 2009 Enmore Sydney show.
    That's really weird, because when they released the audio-only soundtrack from Decoder (which was remixed and has better sound than the original Moshcam version of the Enmore videos) "The Fall" was included:

Gary loses his place a bit just before they do that feint going into the final chorus at 3:17, and he doesn't sing "DO you fall" right when the drums kick in, but they patched that up on the soundtrack... maybe it was considered too distracting for the video that his lips wouldn't move in sync with that moment. IDK...
    Last edited by botley; 06-21-2021 at 08:13 AM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    That's really weird, because when they released the audio-only soundtrack from Decoder (which was remixed and has better sound than the original Moshcam version of the Enmore videos) "The Fall" was included:

Edited the above post.

Yeah, the DVD doesn’t feature it for whatever reason. Re-read my edited notes above, lol.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Gary loses his place a bit just before they do that feint going into the final chorus at 3:17, and he doesn't sing "DO you fall" right when the drums kick in, but they patched that up on the soundtrack... maybe it was considered too distracting for the video that his lips wouldn't move in sync with that moment. IDK...
    Yeah, that’s what I thought. I also noticed this version just has an instrumental breakdown and lacks the whispered vocals towards the end of the song. I think this was still slightly in the embryonic/jibberish lyric stage, or not at an entirely final lyrical arrangement.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Yeah, the whispered lyric took me a long time to adjust to (having got used to the song without it before Dead Son Rising came out), but now I love it. HOW DOES! IT FEEL!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Still it's a nice to see a Numan performance where you can be 100% certain they didn't fix it in the mix...! Christ he looks considerably young(er)! Certainly doesn't look 51! Nice catch...

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Still it's a nice to see a Numan performance where you can be 100% certain they didn't fix it in the mix...! Christ he looks considerably young(er)! Certainly doesn't look 51! Nice catch...
    I was front row centre there in 2009 and met Ade Fenton at a bar right after it.

Met the rest of the band in Melbourne the next day. How time flies…

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Random Numan comment:

As much as Gary disses “Machine + Soul” people tend to forget that “I Wonder” is on that album (called “Wonder Eye” in its demo form). How anyone can dislike this song is beyond me.

And sometimes,
    When I'm lonely,
    I think of you
    And I wonder

And sometimes,
    When someone
    Calls your name,
    I wonder

You changed my life
    And you could have changed my world
    And I
    Miss your voice and
    I miss your heartbeat
    I miss your face and
    I miss you

And sometimes
    When I'm sleeping,
    I dream of you
    And I wonder

And sometimes
    When I forget,
    I call for you
    And I wonder

You said 'goodbye'
    Said 'It's over'
    You said 'I'm tired
    I can't wait
    All my life
    I won't cry
    Anymore'

And sometimes when
    I wonder
    I cry for you
    And I miss you

And sometimes I
    Remember
    How to feel again
    And I miss you

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    ^ Actually, most of the songs on that album are perfectly good... but they're just not Gary Numan songs. "Wonder Eye" sounds a lot more like what he actually wrote himself, whereas "I Wonder" is the kind of thing a flash guy like Kipper, who also works for Sting, would produce.

Apart from the obvious Tears for Fears-nicked drum loop, this is perfectly acceptable as a commercial recording, and I scratch my head at why they kept tinkering with it:

Last edited by botley; 06-22-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    ^ Funnily enough I was looking for an interview GN did on an Australian morning talk show here last Friday and this interview with Kipper from 4 days ago appeared: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www....-new-day%3famp

I really think “Outland” is the album he should be dissing the most, in place of M+S. I can’t think of one song off that thing I like apart from Time To Die.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    ^ I sometimes find "My World Storm" is kinda enjoyable, in a cheesy way. "Dark Sunday" is also some seriously campy fun. And hey, maybe "Soul Protection" was just a dry run for a whole album about a virus infecting humanity!
    Last edited by botley; 06-22-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    ^ I sometimes find "My World Storm" is kinda enjoyable, in a cheesy way. "Dark Sunday" is also some seriously campy fun. And hey, maybe "Soul Protection" was just a dry run for a whole album about a virus infecting humanity!
    He must’ve been on a James Bond marathon that month. “From Russia Infected”? Come on, lol.

About to watch the Intruder live show now.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    About to watch the Intruder live show now.
    …sometimes I’m too observant for my own good.

1) Love the three red lighting bars in the background giving a nod to the three red-lined face makeup. Kind of wish Everything Comes Down To This and Halo weren’t on the set. Those songs have always bored me. Love how he’s using the same M.E. outro on Metal that Trent introduced.

2) Do you think he (or Gemma) got the idea for that from The Ninth Gate? Remember, Gary did grab the logo for the cover of “Exile” off a t-shirt he saw because he thought it looked cool.

The scene I’m referring to is when The Girl (Roman Polanski’s wife in real life) wipes the blood from her nose down Johnny Depp’s face. It’s sometimes called the “baptism by Satan” scene, since she is basically the devil, or working for him. Midway through:

Last edited by Erneuert; 06-22-2021 at 08:06 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    ^ If you have the Deluxe ticket, I recommend you watch the album interview with Gary and Ade; the imagery is explained a little more there.
    Last edited by botley; 06-23-2021 at 07:25 AM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    ^ If you have the Deluxe ticket, I recommend you watch the album interview with Gary and Ade; the imagery is explained a little more there.
    Can you give me the tl;dr version?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Can you give me the tl;dr version?
    It's meant to make the band look like viruses.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    It's meant to make the band look like viruses.
    That’s pretty cool. In what way?

I prefer the baptism by Satan scene comparison I made though, hahaha.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    In what way?
    Purely abstract — just like the 'Victoriana' cover imagery of Splinter was meant to reflect the theme of depression. Gary said he couldn't articulate exactly why, but in his head both of those visual concepts tied directly to the lyrics hahaha.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Man, every time he mentions that version of You Walk In My Soul played on a harp at his wedding I so wish at least audio of it existed somewhere:

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quick question:

As most people here know, Sacrifice is my favourite Numan record and I’m quite obsessive about it. To the point where I only collected 1994-1995 Sacrifice-era Numan releases (including tour shirts, The Radial Pair soundtrack and VHS, Dream Corrosion - because it featured “Mission” - a promo CD of Exile as it includes “Absolution” along with “Hybrid” and “Mutate”)… plus a ton of various versions of singles (Absolution, A Question of Faith, Dawn variants, and even the super rare 2-tape version of Dark Light (Live).)

Anyway the point is, should I take all this out of storage and post photos of it all? Got Gary to sign my Sacrifice vinyl with my favourite lyric “Like the seed of a lie, I will be”, plus all the Eagle and other reissued versions that go for a ton these days on eBay, as well as the “Extended Mixes” CD.

Let me know if ya’ll want a look.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Oh and while on the topic, do you guys think the line (from AQOF) “I’ll be your exhibition of atrocity” was inspired by Atrocity Exhibition by Joy Division?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Oh and while on the topic, do you guys think the line (from AQOF) “I’ll be your exhibition of atrocity” was inspired by Atrocity Exhibition by Joy Division?

More likely they were both inspired by this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atrocity_Exhibition (note the book's original publication title in the USA)!

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    More likely they were both inspired by this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atrocity_Exhibition (note the book's original publication title in the USA)!
    Ah yes, I forgot about that.

Moreover, I forgot about what amazing lyrics the song itself has. I was humming the “they say I / sold my soul” part in the shower and forgot what came after. Refreshed my memory and man, what a job he did lyrically here.

I'll crawl for you
    Hurt if you want to
    I'll be the thing that you feed

I'm not asking
    For love or redemption
    I'll sell my guilt to your need

I'll breathe for you
    Die if you want to
    I'll mourn with you by my grave

I dare you to judge me
    Now God has disowned me
    I've come to you to be saved

They say I
    Sold my soul
    And we all reap
    What we sow

I'll shine for you
    Burn if you want to
    You'll be the prize for my pain

I'll kill your God
    And pray for salvation
    I'll be the in to your sane

I'll lie for you
    Be your conscience in you
    Sacrifice reason for shame

I won't ask for
    Faith or forgiveness
    I'll be the blood in your veins

They say I
    lost my way
    I'll wait for
    Judgment day

Don't pray for my soul
    Don't pray for my soul
    Don't pray for my soul
    Don't pray for my soul

I'll be your darkness
    In the night
    I'll be a vampire calling
    In the dead of night

I'll be your demon
    Shadow man
    I'll be your one confession

And if I can
    I'll be your nightmare
    And scream for you
    I'll be your one possession
    If you want me to

I'll be your secret
    Memory
    I'll be your exhibition of atrocity

They say I
    Sold my soul
    And we all reap
    What we sow

They say I
    Lost my way
    I'll wait for
    Judgment day

Don't pray for my soul
    Don't pray for my soul
    Don't pray for my soul
    Don't pray for my soul

They kneel down, praise God
    Shout 'Hallelujah'
    Lift up their eyes while they pray

When children kill children
    Don't it make them wonder?
    Don't it make them question their faith?
    Last edited by Erneuert; 06-28-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Unofficial:

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quick question:

As most people here know, Sacrifice is my favourite Numan record and I’m quite obsessive about it. To the point where I only collected 1994-1995 Sacrifice-era Numan releases (including tour shirts, The Radial Pair soundtrack and VHS, Dream Corrosion - because it featured “Mission” - a promo CD of Exile as it includes “Absolution” along with “Hybrid” and “Mutate”)… plus a ton of various versions of singles (Absolution, A Question of Faith, Dawn variants, and even the super rare 2-tape version of Dark Light (Live).)

Anyway the point is, should I take all this out of storage and post photos of it all? Got Gary to sign my Sacrifice vinyl with my favourite lyric “Like the seed of a lie, I will be”, plus all the Eagle and other reissued versions that go for a ton these days on eBay, as well as the “Extended Mixes” CD.

Let me know if ya’ll want a look.
    I’ll do this tomorrow or the day after. It’ll also give me a chance to remind myself of what I have, haha.

One thing I remember I was missing was some exclusive Sacrifice mug from that era.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Yeah, the whispered lyric took me a long time to adjust to (having got used to the song without it before Dead Son Rising came out), but now I love it. HOW DOES! IT FEEL!
    Just reading one of the comments on this video and apparently “Look” is/was just a made up fan name?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Just reading one of the comments on this video and apparently “Look” is/was just a made up fan name?

"Look" was originally taken from the Purified interview CD (Track 15, "Do You Enjoy Touring?" & Track 20, "What Inspires Your Song Writing?"):

https://www.discogs.com/Gary-Numan-P...release/542665

It sounds like Track 15 serves as the base, while Track 20 was used for percussion/backing to help round out the "song".

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    "Look" was originally taken from the Purified interview CD (Track 15, "Do You Enjoy Touring?" & Track 20, "What Inspires Your Song Writing?"):

https://www.discogs.com/Gary-Numan-P...release/542665

It sounds like Track 15 serves as the base, while Track 20 was used for percussion/backing to help round out the "song".
    Yeah, I always thought it was officially called “Look” for some reason. Not so according to this guy:

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    @botley , people in the comments are going apeshit for the extended version of Exile lately. Imagine how much praise the re-release/re-recorded version is going to receive. Someone saying the drum loop on the extended intro to Dominion Day thinks it’s an homage to HLAH.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    As @botley previously mentioned.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    https://garynuman.tmstor.es/product/...m_medium=email

The Singles Collection 1978–1983 Ltd Edition Boxset (Signed, Numbered)
    £150.00
    Release Date: 05/11/2021
    Discs: 15
    Pre-order
    For years, Gary Numan fans have been asking for a singles collection, and we have truly delivered. On November 5th, a stunning bespoke box set will be released, containing 15 7-inch singles from 1978-1983 celebrating the works of Gary Numan. Each on translucent colored vinyl, the singles are boxed in a glorious bespoke, white vinyl wrapped DJ case, complete with laser foiled details, chrome corner caps, latch and handle.An extensive 64-page tri-color booklet completes the set and contains front and back sleeve images, notes, recording and original release information for each single plus and archival images. The box set is limited to 2000 numbered copies worldwide, and is only available from the Beggars Arkive webstore and Gary Numan’s webstore.

Gary Numan is a pioneer, and his achievements over his four decade career (and counting) are remarkable for someone who never made any concessions to mainstream success. Seven Top 10 singles, including ‘Are ‘Friends’ Electric?’ and the debut solo hit ‘Cars’; seven Top 10 albums, three of which topped the charts; and huge critical acclaim, most notably with the Inspiration Award at the prestigious Ivor Novello Awards.

In a career that spans over forty years, the music evolves and the themes change. But fans remain fascinated by Numan for the very fact that he’s so uncompromising. Gary recently released his twenty first album Intruder in May 2021
    ON RED 7-VINYL:1978:
    BEG 05 That's Too Bad/Oh! Didn't I Say (Tubeway Army)
    BEG 08 Bombers/Blue Eyes/O.D. Receiver (Tubeway Army)

ON BLUE 7-VINYL: 1978-1980
    BEG 17 Down In The Park/Do You Need The Service (Tubeway Army)
    BEG 18 Are ‘Friends' Electric/We Are So Fragile (Tubeway Army)
    BEG 23 Cars/Asylum
    BEG 29 Complex/Bombers
    BEG 35 We Are Glass/Trois Gymnopedies (First Movement)
    BEG 46 I Die: You Die/Down In The Park
    BEG 50 This Wreckage/Photograph

ON GREEN 7-VINYL: 1981-1983
    BEG 62 She's Got Claws/I Sing Rain
    BEG 70 Music For Chameleons/Noise Noise
    BEG 77 We Take Mystery (To Bed)/The Image Is
    BEG 81 White Boys And Heroes/War Games
    BEG 95 Warriors/My Car Slides (1)
    BEG 101 Sister Surprise/Poetry And Power