Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1480

Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    Reptile. I can already hear his voice singing it in my head.
    That’s already happened lol.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I always thought “I do not want this” thematically matched best with numan’s metalesque songs
    Yeah I was actually thinking that as well, he’d pull those vocals off great!

I chose The Becoming because of the whole man/machine motif.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Sorry everyone, the correct answer is (checks notes)... "Demon Seed".

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post

Oh, shit. Maybe that's why I heard it. Haha!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Numans facebook page is gold now. Every post has hundreds of fans arguing and cursing him out and saying what a famewhore Gemma is and how Gary is a con artist ripping his fans off. He really shot himself in the foot with this patreon thing and all his rants about how only "real" fans would buy it. The fact he takes holidays every week and posts pics on safari or on yachts while these people wait for their pledge updates doesn't help lmao. This guy somehow managed to divide his entire fanbase into a class system. I guess he apparently stopped updating his making music pledge thing because those people don't pay as much money as the patreon people. He even has his fb group designate certain people as "top fans" if they donate x amount of dollars. I don't really understand why this guy has 10 different pledge campaigns going and is selling anything he can think of to make a buck (car fresheners?) Based on the constant vacations and Gemmas nonstop cosmetic surgery and tit jobs, I assume he has a lavish lifestyle to maintain and is probably having his bank account bled dry...but that doesn't excuse him from trying to con his fans and literally bully his fans into giving him money and denouncing them if they don't hand him the $$$$...Telling your fans they aren't real fans unless they donate to your patreon lmao. Billy Corgan and Morrissey wouldnt even have the gall to do that but man his fb page is the most entertaining page on fb *especially since Richard Patricks handlers took over the Filter page from him and stopped all his political tirades so now that page is a bore* The Numan page is where all the fireworks are at
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 12-11-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Dude, this is the third time in two pages you've brought this up without prompting. You've made your point. Can we move on, please?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    @Helpmeiaminhell is, as usual, framing things negatively out of all reasonable proportion; just ignore what he says about Top Fan (hey that's a built-in Facebook feature, not a VIP tier for donors) "class system", how unusual it is for so many negative comments to stay on the official page... I mean, clearly he never saw some of the most toxic fan culture before it moved on to Facebook... these things are happening all because of one comment Numan made, in this delightful little fantasy-world that's been constructed, where no shitty people ever frequented Numan fan forums before...
    Last edited by botley; 12-12-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I know it's not an unusual thing to do, but in watching some of the official videos from the orchestral show, those vocals are definitely not live. It sounds great, but it kinda throws the video off a bit.
    Last edited by otnavuskire; 12-13-2019 at 05:12 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    I know it's not an unusual thing to do, but in watching some of the official videos from the orchestral show, those vocals are definitely not live. It sounds great, but it kinda throws the video off a bit.

Some of the people decimating him on fb claim he overdubs the majority of his vocals in the studio for these "live" albums....

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Some of the people decimating him on fb claim he overdubs the majority of his vocals in the studio for these "live" albums....
    When I saw him live in October, he sounded pretty damn good.

It may be that they chose to only record one show and his voice was a bit off that night. It's not uncommon to dub live albums to fix unfortunate technical difficulties or even just to thicken the sound a little.

Give the guy the benefit of the doubt, seriously.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post

Oh hey I was there. Those two florida shows were my first Numan shows.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Who cares? Most bands do this with "live" albums

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post

I don't care. Dave Gahan overdubbed the shit out of Depeche Modes 101 album and I love that record.....But "otnavuskire" seemed put off by it

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Got a source for this? For what it's worth, not one single band that I've been part of a live recording for has done any studio overdubs for the release. I know it does happen sometimes, even with some of the biggest and most talented acts out there - but even then, I've only seen it happen to overcome technical issues (like one instrument's part being unusable due to equipment malfunction somewhere in the chain during the live show).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I don't care. Dave Gahan overdubbed the shit out of Depeche Modes 101 album and I love that record.....But "otnavuskire" seemed put off by it
    Again, I said it sounds great, but that it throws the video experience off a bit, as it's clear that the vocals don't match what you're seeing. It's not a huge deal.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Got a source for this? For what it's worth, not one single band that I've been part of a live recording for has done any studio overdubs for the release. I know it does happen sometimes, even with some of the biggest and most talented acts out there - but even then, I've only seen it happen to overcome technical issues (like one instrument's part being unusable due to equipment malfunction somewhere in the chain during the live show).
    https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...albums.207436/

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    For what it's worth, not one single band that I've been part of a live recording for has done any studio overdubs for the release. I know it does happen sometimes, even with some of the biggest and most talented acts out there - but even then, I've only seen it happen to overcome technical issues (like one instrument's part being unusable due to equipment malfunction somewhere in the chain during the live show).
    But they for sure use DAWs to clean things up and patch rough moments together, fly in a single note from another show to cover a sour one, or re-tune it, or at least completely automate all the fader moves to the point where you can make it sound like a clean studio recording... instead, Gary has done the vocals over in his studio for lots of the live albums, going back to at least Hope Bleeds I think:

Since he's usually doing the mixing himself, it's easier than having to automate every single line on the live mic to reduce the bleed from every other instrument on stage. Literally re-singing the entire show takes less time.
    Last edited by botley; 12-15-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    That’s some A-grade apologism right there

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I have no problem with re-recording or overdubs on live records. Not sure why it would bother you.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It can be distracting on video as @otnavuskire points out...
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    That’s some A-grade apologism right there
    Would I prefer a live vocal? Yes. But I understand why he would rather re-sing something than meticulously polish it on his own in post-production.
    Last edited by botley; 12-18-2019 at 03:50 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I have no problem with re-recording or overdubs on live records. Not sure why it would bother you.
    Because it flies in the face of the word "live"?

If you've gotta redo something because your guitarist took an RF hit and there's a giant *POP* in the middle of a song, cool, go for it. But if you're thinking "man, my vocals sounded like shit at that show," it feels utterly dishonest and deceptive to sell a re-recorded studio version as "live". At least disclose it clearly on the outer packaging so that consumers can decide for themselves what the actual content is and whether they want it. Have some truth in advertising.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I think it all comes down to: if you want an authentic show experience, go see the show yourself. I know that's not feasible all the time, and i have had to miss many, many shows for a variety of reasons and kicked myself later, but that's really the bottom line. No recording of a live show is ever going to substitute for the real thing.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Basically, don’t be a George Lucas.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    frank zappa often added overdubs in the studio to live albums. he indicated this in the liner notes for these releases. personally, it has never bothered me. a recording is a recording. if it has live elements and studio elements...i don't really care as long as it sounds good ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Seems like Gary puts out 10 live albums a year and doesn't mention any of his overdubs so its a little disingenuous....I remember seeing some Alan Wilder interview where he was basically apologizing for the fact Dave Gahan did overdubs on the 101 album....Mike Patton's Mondo Cane album is actually a live album with overdubs in the studio....But Mike has admitted that in various interviews. That they took a live show and cleaned it up in the studio and added orchestral parts etc. He didn't sell it as a "live album"

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I've watched When the Sky Came Down on DVD a couple of times now, and have been listening to the soundtrack over and over (which isn't Dolby Digital or DTS but completely uncompressed 24bit stereo). It's pretty amazing... definitely a career highlight for Gary to have worked with an orchestra and choir like this. The quibbles about fixes to his vocals are petty, when you actually sit and watch the thing and realize what is happening in that room.

For me, the 'fixed' vocals are honestly a very minor distraction only for a few songs on the visual side, and don't bother me at all when I'm just listening to the audio (WHICH, AGAIN, IS FUCKING AMAZING). I also have a minor quibble with some of the video editing, because they missed the opportunity to feature a couple of the soloists (like during that awesome violin break in "My Breathing" and another time where there was a 'cello solo... I can't remember exactly where now, but the visual is of the other string players, the cameras may have just missed the shot on the night). But those are brief moments, compared to two hours of incredible and movingly performed music. And the crowd response, fucking hell! They absolutely lose it when the choir kicks into that Vox Humana theme from "Replicas"... I get chills just thinking about it.

As I said in the thread about potential NIN collaborators, the Skaparis Orchestra took the song "Metal" back from NIN and reclaimed it for Gary.
    Last edited by botley; 12-28-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Seems like Gary puts out 10 live albums a year and doesn't mention any of his overdubs so its a little disingenuous....I remember seeing some Alan Wilder interview where he was basically apologizing for the fact Dave Gahan did overdubs on the 101 album....Mike Patton's Mondo Cane album is actually a live album with overdubs in the studio....But Mike has admitted that in various interviews. That they took a live show and cleaned it up in the studio and added orchestral parts etc. He didn't sell it as a "live album"
    dude, please explain to me what is so great about Mike Patton. I'm not trying to troll you here. I'm genuinely interested.
    I had the the big FNM tape when I was a kid- you know the one, with Epic.
    An older friend saw Mr Bungle open for FNM, and I thought that was interesting -I wasn't there, but I liked the idea, as an artistic statement.

Again: I'm not trying to break your balls, or make fun of you-honestly. It's just that I've seen SO much praise for this cat, from you, and I just wanna know why. ANd, fuck: if I wind up feeling his work like you do, I don't wanna be missing out.

I'd appreciate a PM if you have time.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    dude, please explain to me what is so great about Mike Patton. I'm not trying to troll you here. I'm genuinely interested.
    An older friend saw Mr Bungle open for FNM, and I thought that was interesting -I wasn't there, but I liked the idea, as an artistic statement.

Again: I'm not trying to break your balls, or make fun of you-honestly. It's just that I've seen SO much praise for this cat, from you, and I just wanna know why. ANd, fuck: if I wind up feeling his work like you do, I don't wanna be missing out.

Listen to the FNM Angel Dust album. Listen to the Mr Bungle album 'Disco Volante'....Then get back to me.....That will decide if you can appreciate brilliant art or if you should stay in your safe place with your Green Day and Foo Fighters albums

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Listen to the FNM Angel Dust album. Listen to the Mr Bungle album 'Disco Volante'....Then get back to me.....That will decide if you can appreciate brilliant art or if you should stay in your safe place with your Green Day and Foo Fighters albums
    Hahaha hahaha
    Jesus fucking christ. I don't have any green day or foo fighters albums. WTF,dude.
    This is an NIN forum
    Bill, I was ALMOST gonna check out those records, but then, you accused me of being a foo fighters fan.

My "safe place" is NIN Fixed and Tricky's Pre Millennium Tension, and the filthiest dnb imaginable.

I think you're forgetting where you are. This is a fucking nin forum. I'm a couple months shy of 40.

Foo Fighters? Wtf. Lo!

Sorry for drift

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

the appeal of mike patton, for me, is in his versatility (he has done work in so many genres) and vocal range (six octaves, the largest range of any living vocalist). the way he can use his voice to croon seductively, to sound like the world's biggest shut-in pervert, or make the weirdest noises you've ever come out of a person, is all astounding. and the musicians with which he surrounds himself are some of the highest caliber talents.

check out Peeping Tom because i think it'll be the most up your alley musically.
    check out Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By by Lovage because that, too, will be right up your alley.
    check out the album Mit Gas by Tomahawk, it's one of my favorite things he's done, and i think you'll dig it.
    check out the album Mondo Caine (as was previously mentioned) because it's gorgeous and inventive, and really fun.

he's also done a ton of score work, most of which is fantastic. Fantomas has an album called Director's Cut that's all covers of movie themes and it's pretty great.

and he's collaborated with john zorn on so many projects that it would take a while to list them all. don't know how much you'd enjoy a lot of them, though.

angel dust by faith no more is a great album, and is my favorite by them, but if FNM isn't your thing, don't force it. patton's done so many different things that there's at least something for everyone.