Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 11/3/2020--U.S. Presidential Election-Let me know, will Trump stay or will he go?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I don't know, I feel like things such as "universal health care" and "free college tuition" are considered pretty "far left", and they haven't really done anything.
    The most recent polls I can find about paid college tuition and Medicare-For-All are from August 2018 and show that a majority of Americans favor it - https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/28/most...e-tuition.html

A majority of Americans support these "far left" policies, so it's time that politicians figure out how to implement them. If they can't, we start replacing them with politicians who want to, and it looks like that's what happened last Tuesday. It won't fix itself overnight or in two years, but Dems now have a majority in the house who can start debating and researching these plans and working on how we can pay them. Then they can pass legislation in the house and kick it over to the senate. They'll likely reject it, but it puts Senators on the record about policies a majority of Americans support and helps voters decide who they need to replace in 2020.

You can have moderate Dems but I watched them get beaten in MO and TN while watching liberal Dems come SUPER close in red states and make up margins that are building the foundation for successful 2020 and 2022 runs on these same policies. This is something the next Dem candidate for president can do, too - speak up healthcare while pointing out that Trump and Republicans have done nothing to improve it.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    The majority of Americans voted for a president who didn't win the election.
    The majority of Americans voted for Democrats in the US Senate, but it's controlled by Republicans. (In total, there were 14 million more votes for Democrats than Republicans in the Senate this year)
    What a poll says the majority wants doesn't mean that much given the way our system works. (By the way, that "majority" was 85% of Democrats but barely half of Republicans - meaning it's still not something that's all that important to them.)

Where I live, tuition to state colleges was recently made free to students of parents who earned a combined income of $125k or less.
    I live in a blue state, with a Democratic governor and Democrat-controlled House.
    And yet, the overwhelming number of comments on all news articles about this program were 'WAKE UP SHEEPLE WHAT DO YOU THINK 'FREE' MEANS ITS NOT REALLY FREE YOUR ALL PAYING FOR IT I DONT WANT MY MONEY TO GO TO THOSE FREELOADERS"

As for what the next Democratic candidate can do - no amount of facts and evidence in the world will convince most Republican voters that Trump and the Republican-held Senate have done nothing to improve health care. Partisan politics is just THAT deep. Trump will stand up, lie to their faces in response, and they'll believe him and every "news" outlet that plays the soundbite on repeat for the next week.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    The majority of Americans voted for a president who didn't win the election.
    Because of about 80,000 votes that went the wrong way in three states.

The majority of Americans voted for Democrats in the US Senate, but it's controlled by Republicans. (In total, there were 14 million more votes for Democrats than Republicans in the Senate this year)
    Democrats had to defend over 20 Senate seats while Republicans defended 9 and Republicans are walking away with only a net gain of 1-2 seats.

What a poll says the majority wants doesn't mean that much given the way our system works. (By the way, that "majority" was 85% of Democrats but barely half of Republicans - meaning it's still not something that's all that important to them.)
    Those polls break down by states so it's not just a simple majority poll with a sampling from one big Dem state i.e. California, they're averaged by each state and that's what a majority of Americans want. It also tells me that there are more potential Dems out there than there are Republicans.

Where I live, tuition to state colleges was recently made free to students of parents who earned a combined income of $125k or less.
    I live in a blue state, with a Democratic governor and Democrat-controlled House.
    And yet, the overwhelming number of comments on all news articles about this program were 'WAKE UP SHEEPLE WHAT DO YOU THINK 'FREE' MEANS ITS NOT REALLY FREE YOUR ALL PAYING FOR IT I DONT WANT MY MONEY TO GO TO THOSE FREELOADERS"
    Bots and commenters from potentially anywhere don't represent how people vote. Online comments on local news articles are not a good way to gauge public support for something.

As for what the next Democratic candidate can do - no amount of facts and evidence in the world will convince most Republican voters that Trump and the Republican-held Senate have done nothing to improve health care. Partisan politics is just THAT deep. Trump will stand up, lie to their faces in response, and they'll believe him and every "news" outlet that plays the soundbite on repeat for the next week.
    Republican turnout was high for the 2018 midterms, but Democrat turnout was higher. The effective plan for most of these races was to pivot from whatever madness Trump said and change the topic to healthcare, and that energized enough first time and lapsed voters to get back out there and vote. Don't worry about changing Republicans minds, energize liberals and progressives to get out there and vote.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Trump has a 40 percent approval rating...he is way more popular than any of the European leaders, like Angela Merkel, Emmanuelle Macron or Theresa May.
    all have approval ratings in the low 20's

every news organisation is against him every news organisation is for the lame ass European leaders who have no support...

I know its sad but its just a reality, he is more popular than any European leader at the moment why is this?